PDA

View Full Version : prop walk help

shannon87
09-02-2010, 04:03 AM
most you prob already know im getting a 3060kv motor and 90 amp esc combo and i need help 2 fix the future problems with the boat torqueing to the right or prop walk as im new to this im still learning also purchasing an octura x438 prop to hopefully gainin more water pick up points ruduce this any other suggestions would be welcome i was thing bout chenging the rudder set up to fast electric specs and may b adding larger trim tabs im not really concerned about drag as id rather more stabilty than absolute top speed and added water pick ups i am getting inspiration from watching jessej's video on you tube with his rio ep which is absolutely awesome i wish i had the skills to do something like that but i dont lol but i would like to have a dual rudder set up but if its better to run an offset rudder to combat the torque steer then thats wat ill do coz jessej's boat even though its got wicked power its pretty stable anyways ay suggestions for this newbie would b greatly appreciated

Jesse J
09-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Again, please do us (at least me) a favor; use punctuation! Newb or not, you can use the shift key and little marks buttons on your keyboard.

As for torque roll, another variable that may play into why mine suffers it less: prop depth. As you noticed I added an adjustable strut where I can raise and lower it. The stock boat exits the prop a little low, thus the tendency to run wet and have enhanced torque roll. You can either redo the stuffing tube raising it 1/8-14" or simpler add an adjustable strut. I don't believe dual vs. single rudder will do much for torque roll - I went single for 1) less drag, and 2) upgrade hardware quality. Also, be sure your prop is very sharp, well balanced and smooth (there are multiple schools of thought on polish, so up to you) but you definitely don't want to slap a raw prop on there as this WILL add to your torque roll problem.

you don't have propwalk, that is mainly an issue with hydros.

tharmer
09-02-2010, 12:41 PM
To help offset prop walk (not the same as torque roll), offset the shaft (keeping it parallel to the center line of the boat) about 1/4 to 3/8". That should help. It softens the turns a bit though.
-t

shannon87
09-02-2010, 06:43 PM
thanks,

for all your help guess it will be a good learning curve to attach a adjustable strut and a different rudder set up. I also was thinking of laying some fibre glass to strengthen the hull and changing the motor mount to something similar to your set up jesse.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated or pics but i may have to take it to a proffesional as i have limited fabrication skills. Also so it woudnt matter if i kept the dual rudder set up.

Im willing to have the trade off of a little drag for the sake of more stability or turning ability but change the the hard ware to better quality of course I mean the drag wouldnt really make a huge difference with 2 would it and its probably easier for me to replace by using the existing mounting points.

And also because i am on a budget i cant afford to change the rest of the hardware at the time being i can only replace the prop,motor,esc,motor coupler. Would it still be safe to run or should i wait and change the running gear. Sorry about the punctuation.

Jesse J
09-07-2010, 09:36 AM
safe - yes. I would imagine as you increase power and speed, the torque rolling may increase as well, until you can raise the strut and change the angle. You will be all right with two rudders.

As for fiberglassing, just be careful when removing the plastic box for the radio and the motor mount as to not damage the hull. You will need to throw a regular motor mount in there - not bad cause it allows for cooling can on motor.

much better punctuation and all, thank you.

shannon87
09-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks, jesse i really appreciate it as i mentioned ill probably get it done by a professional as i have little to no expeirence with fibreglass and installing the driveline set up.

Ill probably just wait until i get the drivline set up before i run it as i dont really wanna fish out the boat if it rolls over or flips and gets damaged lol.

I dont wanna ruin the hull if i muck up the fibre glass, i wish i lived over in the states as rc boating help is more readily availiable and if i knew you better i would be happy to pay you to set up my rio as your rio was absolutely awesome anyways ill see how i go thanks again