PDA

View Full Version : Spektrum Owners - Please Read

Darin Jordan
08-30-2010, 02:01 PM
To all of you Spektrum owners out there who are running your system in boats and do NOT have a Marine Compatible TX... i.e.: those with the following Radios that do NOT already have THIS MARINE logo on them:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/SPM-Marine-Logo.jpg

The following radios are NOT Marine Compatible:
Earlier versions of the:
DX2.0 (SPM20200, SPM20210)
DX3.0 (SPM20300, SPM20310)
DX3S (SPM3130)

and any of the Spektrum Surface Modules (like would be used in your M8, etc)... (NOTE: The Aircraft modules ARE compatible...)

These radios are NOT compatible with the MR-series RXs. I believe they will BIND with them, and will work on the bench, but you will NOT have the range you desire if you use them like this. The transmitters MUST be upgraded by Spektrum to install the marine power circuit and reprogram to work with the MR-Series RXs.

Please contact Spektrum Radios (http://www.spektrumrc.com) to find out what you need to do to get the upgrade done and if your radio is able to be upgraded.

I realize it's a pain, a little confusing, and an extra expense, but if you wish to continue using your existing TX for your boats, it must be done.

The other option would be to sell your existing stuff to a car guy, and buy a new Spektrum Marine compatible system, which includes the following wheel radios:

DX3S (SPM3140)
DX2S (SPM2120)
DX3E (SPM3160)
new DX2.0 (SPM20220)*
new DX3.0 (SPM20320)*

If you are into sticks, these Aircraft TXs work as well:

JR12X
JRX9303
Spektrum DX8
Spektrum DX7
Spektrum DX7se
Spektrum DX6i
Spektrum DX5e
Spektrum DSM2 Aircraft Module Systems

Please let any of your friends who run Spektrum know as well.

We've lost one customer already this weekend who didn't know the TX needed to be upgraded, had range issues, and now is using Futaba. Nothing wrong with that, but had he gotten the TX upgraded, he's be wearing a much nicer color of Orange still! :thumbup1:

Let me know if you have any questions.

BakedMopar
08-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Darin do you folks make a "marine" tx module for the M8?

Darin Jordan
08-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Darin do you folks make a "marine" tx module for the M8?

No... The Spektrum module for the M8 is a surface module, and, as such, is not compatible with the Marine RX's. Only the Aircraft modules are compatible.

I've asked about the future offering of these, but haven't heard anything about whether they'll be doing something here or not.

AndyKunz
08-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Hey, you forgot MY radio! The DX8 is also Marine-compatible. I used it to get telemetry data the other day. I just hooked up the MR3000 to the TM1000 and had instant RPM, voltage, and temperature data on my tx :)

Andy

Darin Jordan
08-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey, you forgot MY radio! The DX8 is also Marine-compatible. I used it to get telemetry data the other day. I just hooked up the MR3000 to the TM1000 and had instant RPM, voltage, and temperature data on my tx :)

Andy

Andy... you need to get Spektrum to update their compatible TX list on the website! ;)

AndyKunz
08-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks. I'll take care of that right away. What's the link?

Andy

Darin Jordan
08-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks. I'll take care of that right away. What's the link?

Andy

Here are the two that I know of:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/TechnicalSpecs.aspx?ProdID=SPMMR3000

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/TechnicalSpecs.aspx?ProdID=SPMMR200

Jeepers
08-30-2010, 08:01 PM
I have asked this a few times.... (sorry)

Does Spektrum ever plan to do the DX3R in marine or at least offer a software upgrade?

kevink
08-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Please update the dx3r for marine use.

BakedMopar
08-30-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm a lefty. Do you offer any pistol radio that can be reversed? Is there anything in the near future for something like that? That's the main reason I have used Airtonics from the mid 80's. I know futaba has a reversible model also.

Jesse J
08-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Where do I get that sticker with the marine logo - wouldn't that be cheaper and easier?

:just-kidding:
sorry couldn't resist. Is the reason being interference or poor reception in the boat due to water? I am not near where others would be driving, so don't know when I will get to it... Have had no problems yet with my DX3.0.

Darin Jordan
08-30-2010, 11:52 PM
sorry couldn't resist. Is the reason being interference or poor reception in the boat due to water? I am not near where others would be driving, so don't know when I will get to it... Have had no problems yet with my DX3.0.

The older Spektrum surface radios used a lower powered form factor. The signal would attenuate over water and range would decrease as a result. Installation was critical to making them work. If the antenna or RX were shielded by chassis in a car, or by cowling or ?? in a boat, signal could be lost. You have to mount the RX up as high as possible, and get the antenna out as well. Some have issues, others none.

The new system is high-powered and doesn't suffer these issues.

graill
08-31-2010, 12:34 AM
Futaba over spectrum anyday.

And only my hemi challenger is orange. :smile:

Flying Scotsman
08-31-2010, 01:47 AM
With no prior knowledge on the merits of Futaba and Spektrum systems...I purchased a DX3S MARINE tx and rx modlules....Reason... antenna design and a very nice feel to the radio.

Douggie

graill
08-31-2010, 03:24 AM
LOL, i dont care what folks push for products, its all good, i was just taking a poke at Darin for the orange comment. :tongue_smilie:

Steven Vaccaro
08-31-2010, 07:04 AM
Darin thanks for posting this info. I did not realize they would bind. I've tried it with a couple of my rx's and it wouldn't. Maybe its a hit and miss thing.

Darin Jordan
08-31-2010, 07:23 AM
Darin thanks for posting this info. I did not realize they would bind. I've tried it with a couple of my rx's and it wouldn't. Maybe its a hit and miss thing.

Steven,

I got a chance to talk to the gentleman who was having the issues last night, and after hearing what was happening, I suspect that the radio had little to do with the problems. And, you are right... it won't bind if they aren't both marine compatible TX and RX. I found out last night that his was the Marine TX as well, with the MR3000 RX.

The story goes like this. Install radio and seems to work fine on the bench. As soon as he gets out on the course, the boat goes for a bit, then just dies, "like a nitro boat losing it's glow plug". Same story for heat two. "Almost like you had to bind and rebind while out on the course". Some more tweaking around and then no issues at all for round 3 and 4.

It sounded to me more like the RX was losing the BEC connection and going into failsafe mode. Was in a 1/10th scale with older wiring setup in it that could have had corrosion or ??? and was connected to an AquaCraft ESC that "had been around the block". Likely had been used in a P-Spec Hydro or who knows what else over it's lifespan.

Directly connecting an RX pack was never tried, and the radio system is now owned by someone else, so we may never know for sure, but I'll be in touch with the new owner as well, and if there are any issues with his setup, then I'll take a closer look at the radio system itself. Otherwise, it sounded to me like something other than the radio was causing the the RX to go into failsafe do to loss of power.

I'll update as we investigate it further. Just wish I'd been there to help, because I'm certain I could have figured it out, and instead of people thinking that the Radio was the problem, they might otherwise realize that the radio was actually saving their model from being destroyed by doing exactly what it was designed to do.

NativePaul
12-31-2010, 11:02 AM
I have a DX3 which is not marine compatible, can this be upgraded to marine compatibility? and if so how much would it cost? I just gave away one of my FASST sets and have this old DX3 sitting around unused, over here FASST RXs are about £90=$135 so if I can get the spektrum upgraded to a usable state and a MR3000 RX to suit for that price or less that will be an alternative way to go.

ScarabChris
12-31-2010, 11:16 AM
I have the DX3S and wasn't impressed at first. Thats because I was using the RX that comes with it which is not a marine RX.

Then I got the MR3000 and have had no problems since. I like that I can use one TX for all my boats. And I love how small the MR3000 RX is.

cacofonix
12-31-2010, 11:50 AM
hi there

i've got 2 DX3R with 7 receiver SR3100, for more than one year now
use them in 7 different hull, with BEC , with UBEC, with receiver pack, in FV hull
in carbon hull....

alone or with 20 other boaters ....... i never had the beginning of a problem

herve