PDA

View Full Version : brushless esc motor what one?

SweetZ28
10-31-2007, 02:12 PM
Hi Guy's i am planing for the future i put a flex shaft system into my 24" apache pro boat cat... and in the future i want to go brushless the motor cupler is the 1/8 shaft.... was looking at the new ESC's on the site here and the pink brushless motors..... but i don't know what would be good for this boat.... mostly going to run on 6 cell nimh packs... I have the smallest graphite prop Steve sells on it now with the stock 550 motor.... is it better to get a way faster motor and you can turn the EPA down to set the speed or will the fater motors have way less tork?

:doh: what to do what to do!

Rex R
10-31-2007, 07:09 PM
with bl motors(and esc's) you're asking for trouble if you need to run the boat continually at less than full throttle. you need to do some home work and get the proper motor. you need to ask yourself; what kind of running will I be doing? sport, racing, or all out speed? for sport use your target rpm range should be around 15-20k, race 20-25(ish)k, saw 30k and up. given the size of your boat...and voltage, my guess would be that a 10L should work nicely and give you a decent amount of runtime. don't think I'd go any hotter than an 8L

SweetZ28
10-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks ...I don't get it whay are 3 types of motors S,L,XL i know the cans get longer but what is different the longer cans give more start up tork?

Thanks
Z

Rex R
10-31-2007, 08:02 PM
not just startup torq...more torq overall. also as the cans get longer you get more mass(and length) to soak up heat(and to some extent disipate it). the 'S' cans are the same size as the '05' car motors(and therefore may offer a challenge trying to use your 'stock' mount). the trade off is that the longer motors give more torq(for the same number of turns) but fewer rpm than the shorter motors.

SweetZ28
10-31-2007, 08:58 PM
Humm so what type motor will fit the stock motor mount i have that fits a 550 ?

Rex R
11-01-2007, 03:51 AM
well any of the feigao 540 series will fit...but the 540L would be the closest match (5mm longer than the 550 you have now). as for an esc you should be looking for something in the 80-120 amp range(this gives you a safety margin), haven't read up on the 'cheap' esc's steven is offering so I don't know how they stack up to a castle 80...but there ought to be something that will work :)

SweetZ28
11-01-2007, 09:12 AM
I would probably want a motor a little shorter so it will be lighter because with the new flex unit in place the motor had to be mounted about a half inch more towards the front of the boat...
Thanks again....Gees your the only one that helps me! :-)
Z

Rex R
11-01-2007, 12:26 PM
think you'll find that even the short can motors weigh more than the stock unit. also think that you will not be happy with an 's' motor...however if you insist a 10 or 12s would be my choice. bear in mind that the s motors will need to be even further foreward than what you have now (about 1/8") when you get the thrust bearing set-up...while the 'l' series can use the current location(course you'll need the short 5mm to 0.13" hex flex).

SweetZ28
11-01-2007, 12:52 PM
THANKS Rex R

:confused1: It's so confusing maybe Steve knows what will work best for my boat?

THANKS
Z