PDA

View Full Version : Lipo's in parallel

gartman
08-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Can you run 2 lipo batt. in parallel with different C ratings, one lipo at 25c and one at 45c ? I know that they have to be the same voltage and mAh. :help: gartman.paul@gmail.com

chuff
08-26-2010, 02:50 AM
Can you run 2 lipo batt. in parallel with different C ratings, one lipo at 25c and one at 45c ? I know that they have to be the same voltage and mAh. :help: gartman.paul@gmail.com

My answer would be the classic "maybe yes, maybe no"

The C rating is what the manufacturer would have us believe is the "safe" current that can be drawn from a pack. So, if your set-up only draws about 25 C from each of your packs (ie 50 C in total), then no worries, but if your set-up draws 45 C from each (ie 90C in total) then the 25C one will probably start to cook.

Remember that two similar packs in parallel share equally (roughly equally) the total current draw. This assumes the two packs have identical internal resistances which is unlikely, but the same brand and specification packs should be very similar.

Also, strictly they don't have to be the same milliamphour capacities either, but you will drain the smaller one down to your safe voltage limit before the bigger one which means you can easily damage (over discharge) the small one before the ESC voltage safety cut-out works, so not recommended.

Chris