PDA

View Full Version : P1 Mono Impressions

matthj72
08-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Well after a few runs with the boat i must say I like it a lot. I'm running a 3s SPC 8000 lipo and it does not fit in the desired location, so i had to compromise and run the battery length wise in the boat which is no biggie. The stock prop is way to small. I'm running a Grim Racer 40x53 and am happy with how it works. I don't have a gps on it but id assume i'm running in the high 30's. Boat is not stable in the chop and needs some fine tuning. The one thing that i'm not happy with is that the wood deck that holds the servo and radio came loose in the back and the deck moves up and down. Kinda thought this would not happen for being such a new boat. I have the trim tabs dialed all the way down and the boat still gets loose. May have to throw some weight around in the boat to adjust the attitude of the boat. All in all the boat is a hit! Just needs a fair amount of adjusting.

hobie
08-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Hey. Glad you like the boat too! I'm curious, with the little amount of room at the back, is the 40mm this biggest you figure will fit?
I found at about 70% throttle is when it would start to plane out. With the grim racer prop, is that cured? Or at least a lot better?

matthj72
08-26-2010, 09:23 AM
With the grim racer prop it does trim out a lot quicker and is more responsive. you could probably go a bit bigger on the propeller but you would have to run your drive at a negative position in order for it to clear.

hobie
08-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I have a 2 blade 42 mm (stock one from Rio EP) and I was going to try that before I buy the expensive one.
I will try to post my results tonight after work. I will also try to remember to grab my GPS and see what kind of speeds were dealing with.
Thanks again.

matthj72
08-26-2010, 11:34 AM
I dont think that prop will work on that boat because the rio ep used a 1/8" shaft and this one is a 4mm.

Diesel6401
08-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I have a 2 blade 42 mm (stock one from Rio EP) and I was going to try that before I buy the expensive one.
I will try to post my results tonight after work. I will also try to remember to grab my GPS and see what kind of speeds were dealing with.
Thanks again.

Like mentioned above it will not work. You will need a 4mm prop such as this (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=grp-2318.42). That's if a 42mm prop will make the clearance of the rudder hardware.

hobie
08-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the link. Well if I was going to try it, yes, I would have to bore out the center to make it fit. Before I try that, I picked up a shim for a 1440 I tried on the rio. It's clears if I'm at 0 on my pitch of the shaft. So a bit of negative and the will work. Well, it will spin, not sure how it will work.
I will order one from your link. The graupner.
Again, thanks for all the great info

Diesel6401
08-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the link. Well if I was going to try it, yes, I would have to bore out the center to make it fit. Before I try that, I picked up a shim for a 1440 I tried on the rio. It's clears if I'm at 0 on my pitch of the shaft. So a bit of negative and the will work. Well, it will spin, not sure how it will work.
I will order one from your link. The graupner.
Again, thanks for all the great info

I do not believe that 1440 is going to work out for you on a Rio very well. With the light hull of the Rio and a 1440 which is made for heavier nitro hulls is going to work. The Transom will be to high out of the water, you need a lower lift prop such as the x400 series of props. JMO

This chart may help you with that:

hobie
08-26-2010, 08:56 PM
You were totally right! It didn't work well on eithe boat. Not bad on the Rio, but not good on the P1.
Thanks for the chart, that clears so much up for me. I bought the 1440 long before I joined this forum and didn't know what I was doing.

Diesel6401
08-26-2010, 09:36 PM
You were totally right! It didn't work well on eithe boat. Not bad on the Rio, but not good on the P1.
Thanks for the chart, that clears so much up for me. I bought the 1440 long before I joined this forum and didn't know what I was doing.

Yea man stick to the x4 series of props. And rock a 4mm CF prop on that P1, If the stock really is a 40mm the 42mm should be a nice upgrade, like I said as long as you don't need to adjust the strut to clear the rudder hardeware.

forescott
08-27-2010, 12:05 AM
Yea man stick to the x4 series of props. And rock a 4mm CF prop on that P1, If the stock really is a 40mm the 42mm should be a nice upgrade, like I said as long as you don't need to adjust the strut to clear the rudder hardeware.

Stock is actually a 36mm 3-blade. Venom manual and website states it comes with a 40mm 3-blade. :frusty: Venom!!

Diesel6401
08-27-2010, 12:45 AM
You mean they lied on the prop size :Shame_on_You:. With that being said the 39mm or 40mm maybe be a good fit. Forescott do you think a 39mm will clear the rudder hardware with the strurt and neutral? Also can you guy adjust the rudder tilt at all? Adjusting a little negative would help.

forescott
08-27-2010, 12:48 AM
You mean they lied on the prop size :Shame_on_You:. With that being said the 39mm or 40mm maybe be a good fit. Forescott do you think a 39mm will clear the rudder hardware with the strurt and neutral? Also can you guy adjust the rudder tilt at all? Adjusting a little negative would help.

I think a 40mm is about as big as you wanna go diameter-wise. The rudder does adjust. Will negative adjustment on the rudder help pull the bow down??

Diesel6401
08-27-2010, 03:07 AM
I think a 40mm is about as big as you wanna go diameter-wise. The rudder does adjust. Will negative adjustment on the rudder help pull the bow down??

It will plant the transom in the water more and my help with how loose it's running, I'd imagine that in combo with some oz of weight in the nose will settle the boat down. I would start with that 4mm 40 and 42 and 39 prop in th CF section, their like $5 ea so I would grab them all and trail and error. Only about those 4mm prop is it seems the have some crazy pitch., so tucking the rudder maybe a most. All in all with a few oz of lead in the nose and a $5 prop you may have a nice recreation/sport boat with not much money spent. But it's venom so who knows how far that no money thing will go lol.

I'll be interested to see what your guys come up with and how it works out for you. Also VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO :popcorn2:

jamespl
08-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Just ordered mine, cat wait to get it. I think i will be leaving it stock apart from maybe a prop and will try running it on 4s. I havnt told the mrs ive ordered it yet and ive had it delivered to my mums! should get it for when i come back off my honeymoon so she will be in a good mood when i tell her lol

forescott
08-28-2010, 09:46 AM
James!:Shame_on_You: Not a good way to start off the marriage!:hide: :just-kidding:

jamespl
08-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Lol it's ok I've got my mum on my side and the story is it's a present off mum n dad, it's a half truth cos my Xmas money is going into it :thumbup1:
I'm just glad I found a place in stock that doesn't rob you for international postage!