PDA

View Full Version : EKOS Sponson Repair Job

Team Jericho
08-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Hey guys, I thought I would share some pics of the project/repair job I did on my EKOS.

A few weeks ago I hit a standing marker boy at about 40 mph in a corner, taking out the left/port sponson..thunk!!! :crying:

It took over 8 hours altogether to repair it properly, having some experience with "real" boats, I carved a foam core base for the sponson tip out of styrofoam and worked from there outwards with glass layers, sanding/dremmel, epoxy, sand, filler, sand, filler sand etc.

I basically duplicated the un-damaged sponson on the right/starboard side but inverse..the nose and chines were a bit tricky to "sculpt" from scratch. Then a quick paint "tips" job as I needed to get out on the water the next day. She's holding up so far so good.

The King lives on!! :buttrock:

Steven Vaccaro
08-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Nice job!

Team Jericho
08-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks! The Feigao 380 9XLs are holding up great, these are very good engines for the $ and as someone else said, they make the stock Venom motors look/perform like desk fans compared to turbines. No overheating issues whatsoever running on 4Ss and Venom 36mm props..I am going to try the Octura 442s at some point...see how she runs then ;)

Steven Vaccaro
08-25-2010, 01:29 PM
Thanks! The Feigao 380 9XLs are holding up great, these are very good engines for the $ and as someone else said, they make the stock Venom motors look/perform like desk fans compared to turbines. No overheating issues whatsoever running on 4Ss and Venom 36mm props..I am going to try the Octura 442s at some point...see how she runs then ;)

Be careful the 36 to x442 is a world of size difference.

JPriami
08-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Nice work. If you need a job building fiberglass bodies for hot rods i'll hook you up with some people lol.

LarrysDrifter
08-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Awsome job!Larry likey!!

Team Jericho
10-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Well guys, I crashed again and lost the right sponson and more! Dang...looking for a new 32-34 cat inch hull now.

Boomer
10-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Holy carp! You are having some back luck. Did you hit something? A turtle or driftwood?
Boomer

kevink
11-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Just finished rebuilding my buddy's EKOS after the steering servo came loose and crashed. He sent it to his friend to repair the right sponson and split front. Came back great with the new paint. Can't wait to run again. 9xl's with wire drives. Any ideas on decals? Yes, no, suggestions.

Team Jericho
11-03-2010, 10:39 AM
The orange looks great!! Now he will be able to see his boat when running it! What kind of props is he running and approximate speed? Before my crash, I had my EKOS just over 50 mph with 9XLs and piano wire drives, 36mm Venom machine props.

kevink
11-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks. Can't wait to run it. He's running 36mm props for now. We ran the cf40's prior to the crash. There was a noticeable increase in speed over the 36s. We will gps soon. I know he is in the mid 50's because he was right next to my apparition gps'd at 55.1mph.

Team Jericho
11-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Do you have the single or twin engine Apparition? I had the single engine and sold it to my brother. Still neeed a new boat and thinking about getting the twin engine Apparition. I would then put in my motors, ESC etc.

kevink
11-12-2010, 10:25 PM
I have the single motor Apparition, but I still have the extra King of Shaves without electronics. I'm undecided if I am going to rebuild with 540 motors or just sell the hull.

Team Jericho
11-13-2010, 01:03 PM
That would be great, look forward to see the pictures.

kevink
11-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Here is the link to the previous post with the pics.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showpost.php?p=244442&postcount=14

Team Jericho
11-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks. Looks ok but I am hoping to find one with the engine mounts still laminated into the boat. I find it tricky to work on the EKOS due to lack of space, its small size etc. with the twin engines in it. Also considering GFreaks 32" cat now...also sweet. How much do you want for the EKOS hull?

kevink
11-14-2010, 03:48 PM
What do you need from the hull. The motor mounts had to be removed to reloctite to the base. I had one of the freak 32" hulls. I know they may suffer from cheesy advertising but they were good to me when I had defective esc. they ended up upgraded the motor and esc for me. Let me know about the ekos and I will let you know $$.