PDA

View Full Version : rio set up questions

Trevor January
08-19-2010, 06:30 PM
well i have went to a brushless set up on the rio ep and wow it's awesome but it seems to have some issues

to start it has mad torque roll action going on which i can't seem to figure out how to stop any ideas?

and i see that alot of people are using a whole new set of hardware over the stock stuff is this really the way to go to make this hull awesome or is it just an extreme mod ?

Diesel6401
08-19-2010, 06:49 PM
well i have went to a brushless set up on the rio ep and wow it's awesome but it seems to have some issues

to start it has mad torque roll action going on which i can't seem to figure out how to stop any ideas?

and i see that alot of people are using a whole new set of hardware over the stock stuff is this really the way to go to make this hull awesome or is it just an extreme mod ?

Post your setup, motor/esc/prop/batteries and we may be able to help you.

hyrulejedi86
08-19-2010, 09:13 PM
You won't be able to completly eliminate it. I have found that with mine, I max out at around 28-30mph before it torques too hard. Even after adjustments of the trim tabs.

If anyone does have a good suggestion to fixing it I might try it also.

Trevor January
08-20-2010, 11:16 AM
okay i a running for set up

turnigy 3900kv which i like a 380 size can
turnigy 60amp modded airplane esc with a cooling block
and 37 3 blade the stock supervee 27r ones
and two 2s 1800mah in parallel

stock hardware and everything but i gutted the whole in side laid carbon cloth down and put in a new mount

hope this well help

Diesel6401
08-20-2010, 12:41 PM
okay i a running for set up

turnigy 3900kv which i like a 380 size can
turnigy 60amp modded airplane esc with a cooling block
and 37 3 blade the stock supervee 27r ones
and two 2s 1800mah in parallel

stock hardware and everything but i gutted the whole in side laid carbon cloth down and put in a new mount

hope this well help

Are you using a 1/8 or 3/16 flex cable? You may need to prop down a little, maybe to something like a y534 (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-y534) or a x435 (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-x435). It may not fully elimanate your problem, but may help.

hyrulejedi86
08-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Now, that I think about it I had tried a smaller three blade myself and it definetly made a difference but I had slower speeds from it.

Diesel6401
08-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Now, that I think about it I had tried a smaller three blade myself and it definetly made a difference but I had slower speeds from it.

Yup propping down will normally help with torque roll, but sometimes the trade off is top end speed and or getting on plane. You may have propped down a little to much depending on how much speed you lost.

Trevor January
08-20-2010, 01:58 PM
cool something to consider it's better to run slower then to have problems running faster and the flex is the stock which might be 3/16 or some where around 3 mm

thanks guys

Diesel6401
08-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Ok just to recap some thing you are running possible stock drive which I think is 1/8 shaft. You are running the 37mm aq sv27 nitro prop which are 3/16 shaft. Are your using a shim? Or did you actually convert to a 3/16 shaft? That is important to know because you need to prop down and you can't get as low of a diameter prop you may need if you are running 3/16. In this case 1/8 may be better because you have can get small dia props. Hopefully that makes sense.

Trevor January
08-20-2010, 05:38 PM
shims for the sv prop

Diesel6401
08-20-2010, 06:26 PM
shims for the sv prop

Ok cool, the props I listed above may be worth a try.

Trevor January
08-20-2010, 06:49 PM
yeah i think i will look in to i might have already had them on order for something else too

Trevor January
08-20-2010, 06:52 PM
i guess i didn't i just looked and it was 531 dang it

Diesel6401
08-20-2010, 06:56 PM
i guess i didn't i just looked and it was 531 dang it

I think that's going to be way to small.

Trevor January
08-25-2010, 11:49 PM
well some stock came in at ose so i got some props on order
maybe they will get here soon so i can see what the changes of the prop will do for the boat i hope it's a prop issue cause i don't really want to to put a lot more into in to it i think i would rather use the parts and time another boat that would be a much better return in the end i do have some i should build but this would make a great rescue boat

hobie
08-26-2010, 12:25 AM
I love my rio, but got sick of always messing with it to try and keep it the right side up! Lol! So I went and got the new Venom P1. Way to small of a prop on it, but now after reading some more, I'm afraid if I prop up to much, I will encounter the same thing?? Can anyone anwser that for me?

I did try a smaller one on the Rio, lost so much bottom end, I decided to stay with the stock one and live having to adjust the rudders for the amount of throttle I was giving it.

Diesel6401
08-26-2010, 01:06 AM
well some stock came in at ose so i got some props on order
maybe they will get here soon so i can see what the changes of the prop will do for the boat i hope it's a prop issue cause i don't really want to to put a lot more into in to it i think i would rather use the parts and time another boat that would be a much better return in the end i do have some i should build but this would make a great rescue boat

Which props did you order? Pre sharpened and balanced or are you going to do it yourself.

Diesel6401
08-26-2010, 01:12 AM
I love my rio, but got sick of always messing with it to try and keep it the right side up! Lol! So I went and got the new Venom P1. Way to small of a prop on it, but now after reading some more, I'm afraid if I prop up to much, I will encounter the same thing?? Can anyone anwser that for me?

I did try a smaller one on the Rio, lost so much bottom end, I decided to stay with the stock one and live having to adjust the rudders for the amount of throttle I was giving it.

What is the stock prop size in mm and shaft diameter. I think I read it's a 4mm drive at 37mm diameter is that correct? The problem you are going to have with the P1 is if it is a 4mm drive that limits your selection on props and also with the inline rudder you will not be able to prop up size for 2 reasons:
1) If you go to big the prop will strike the rudder hardware or you may have to adjust the strut negative to make room for the prop to clear which may make the boat run to wet.
2) I think with the inline rudder a bigger prop can dramatically introduce torque roll and prop walk, because the rudder is not offset to somewhat help that.

hobie
08-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the reply. Ok, that does make sense.
Yes it is a 4mm shaft, as far as prop size... The manual says it's a 40x1.4. I measured it up with a 40mm 2 blade prop, and they seemed very close in size?? The one thing I'm very confused about is the difference between 2 blade and 3 blade props?? Should I stick with is 3 blade when I try a different prop?
Soooo much to learn.... But a blast doing it!

hobie
08-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Oh, and more more question... I was thinking about adding a shim on the bottom side of the rudder strut, moving the back end up and giving a bit more clearance?? The adjust the rudder so it's vertical again???
I was thinking a small washer on the bottom bolts to move it out just a bit?? Just another thought, but not sure what would happen with the setup? I guess something to try and then post some results.
.... Now, to just not have to do this work thing and be able to boat all day!

Jesse J
08-26-2010, 11:55 AM
on torque roll: two blade same size will decrease it, but diameter is best way. Agree with Diesels X435 or even x635. My suggestion would be 3000KV motor on 3S and X435 prop (mine was in the 40s and super stable - until there was any chop)

If you are gonna redo the stuffing tube, it is a good idea to fiberglass the hull while its gutted. I swapped out the stock hardware to reduce drag (one rudder) and add an adjustable strut so you can control ride attitude.

for more info on my build, see my Rio overhaul thread.

Trevor January
08-28-2010, 09:00 PM
well i have an update

i ran the same setup except this time i ran a 36-53 grimracer metal prop and i got new trim tabs for my sv27 so i used those on the rio as well as new turn fins and wow that made it alot better the only problem i can see now is that drive out the transom is moving due to toqure which is not going to help anything but it ran better a little to much chop to see how much different it is but not bad