PDA

View Full Version : Newbie battery question

britscoot
08-17-2010, 07:11 PM
If i use a UL-1 motor and esc,what is the optimal battery rating.
I'm a nitro person and still learning electric.
If i use a lower amperage lipo,will the reduced run times help with over heating?
Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Ian

Diesel6401
08-17-2010, 11:23 PM
If i use a lower amperage lipo,will the reduced run times help with over heating?
Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Ian

I like to use no less then a 4000mah 30c lipo. JMO, don't go less than a 20c rating with at least 4000mah. You can get some cheap 5000mah 40c turnigy lipo from hobbycity.com. i love those packs. With your ul-1 setup you will want to run 2x 2s in series for 4s for a total of 14.8v, I sometimes also run 2x 4s 3600 packs in parallel. Welcome to FE & OSE.

Simon.O.
08-18-2010, 03:43 AM
Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Ian
Yes and no for that question.
The reduced amperage pack will reduce run time and in itself prevent over heating
It will also dump voltage quicker which will increase amp draw and thus cause over heating and pack/esc damage if low run times are not maintained.

Power(W) is Volts x Amps, W=V.A
Your setup will use a set amount of power (W) you will feed it with a given voltage e.g 4S or 15V nominal.
This 4S pack will begin at 16+V off the charger and under load should drop to around 14.8v (4 x 3.7v) for a working load. This voltage will drop further as the pack depletes and to maintain the power(W) output the amps must go up. here comes the heat and the esc wrecking part.

To reduce overheating there are many avenues
Less prop and less run time are two of the easiest ways.

I hope this is of some help. :thumbup1:

Old Sloppy
08-18-2010, 07:37 PM
You can get some cheap 5000mah 40c turnigy lipo from hobbycity.com.

The higher the "C" rating the better and this means less heat.
a lower "C" rating will cause heat. (avoid heat)

Harry