PDA

View Full Version : New P-1 mono in stock!!!

forescott
08-16-2010, 07:34 PM
I just checked towerhobbies, and they are listing the new p-1 mono "in-stock"(limited quantities). Gave em a call and mine is on its way. :banana:

jamespl
08-17-2010, 12:38 PM
venom website says out of stock!

hazegry
08-17-2010, 12:44 PM
He said tower hobbies not venom. Venom may be out of stock while tower has a few left

jamespl
08-17-2010, 02:31 PM
He said tower hobbies not venom. Venom may be out of stock while tower has a few left

i know, i can read! i just replyed with that cos it seems strange that venom are out of stock but tower hobbies have some.

hazegry
08-17-2010, 03:12 PM
not if you have been following Venom's habits for more than 2 weeks they go out of stock all the time. they are never instock long and with the time it takes tower to get the product onto the site and ready for market it doesnt seem strange at all.

forescott
08-17-2010, 05:41 PM
I am guessing that both venom and tower have back orders to ship before they come available. Looks like tower had some, but as of last night they are already gone and awaiting the next shipment. I have been watching venoms facebook page, and a comment was made that someone saw a shipment of p-1's come into their warehouse. Thats the only reason why I've been checking towers stock status daily!

hazegry
08-17-2010, 09:26 PM
GL with it forescott I would like to get a EKOS hull and build my own but with all of thier complaints I just cant justify spending the money on one.

forescott
08-18-2010, 01:44 AM
GL with it forescott I would like to get a EKOS hull and build my own but with all of thier complaints I just cant justify spending the money on one.

Yup, I know all about the complaints. I have one of the first batch of ekos cats when they came out. The paint and scale looks of both boats are outstanding though. I am prepared to upgrade the guts of the p-1.

forescott
08-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Got the p-1 today. Here are some pics...

forescott
08-18-2010, 09:01 PM
More....

forescott
08-18-2010, 09:03 PM
A few more...

forescott
08-18-2010, 09:17 PM
The hull measures 31.5 inches without the hardware. Stinger looks to be the same as the ekos with the exception of the strudder bracket at the transom. Drive is 4mm flex, and the included props are 36mm 1.4 pitch 3-blades.(same as the ekos) The overall finish looks excellent. Albeit a pretty simple paint scheme with white base hull and clearcoat over decals. Single pin hatch w/2-magnets at the rear. The magnets are actually integrated into the rear corners of the hull opening.You can't see em but they're there.(see pic.) Only bad thing about the hatch is its really hard to remove it once its latched. There is nothing to grab onto to pull it open.

Diesel6401
08-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Very nice looking hull. Not a fan of that 4mm drive at hull. Also shocked of the non cooled mount. Do you plan on doing a comparsion of outrunner vs ammo 1280 you have? Is that 36-88 ammo going to bolt to the stock mount OK? Last question I have is are you going to leave the 4mm drive or switch over to a .150 cable or even piano drive?

forescott
08-19-2010, 02:10 AM
Very nice looking hull. Not a fan of that 4mm drive at hull. Also shocked of the non cooled mount. Do you plan on doing a comparsion of outrunner vs ammo 1280 you have? Is that 36-88 ammo going to bolt to the stock mount OK? Last question I have is are you going to leave the 4mm drive or switch over to a .150 cable or even piano drive?

I was really hoping it would have 3/16 hardware. I dont think the 4mm flex will handle the bigger props I want to run with the ammo. The stuffing tube is straight so wire drive is definetly an option. Not sure which is stronger flex or wire drive because the wire on my ekos is thinner than the flex. Also the outrunner gets narrower @ the motor mount area, so the mount will surely be too small. Gonna run this guy on 3s and 4s tomorrow and see what results I get. Got my gps ready!

Ub Hauled
08-19-2010, 02:16 AM
I just confirmed my suspicion... it's a stepped mono... I was hoping it was not a stepped mono since is stepped is not NAMBA legal... I wanted this hull, it's one of the few monos I liked...

Jeff Wohlt
08-19-2010, 08:09 AM
I bet those struts can be drilled and either put some bushing in it for 3/16 or maybe even bearing at the end.

Diesel6401
08-19-2010, 10:43 AM
I bet those struts can be drilled and either put some bushing in it for 3/16 or maybe even bearing at the end.

:iagree:, It's real easy to do. Throw a speedmaster (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ros-spdsd-187) bushing in their and you will be fine. Should take about 5 minute to do.

tomstoys2
08-19-2010, 11:37 AM
:thumbup1:Thanks for sharing Scott! I love the looks of the Fountain.

JEDNJONES
08-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the pics and info. Cant wait for your test results. Mine is on the way.
Jerry

forescott
08-19-2010, 06:22 PM
Got it out on the water today in stock form with a single turnigy 5000mah 3s 30c pack it gps'd at 35.5mph. Seems to cavitate a LOT before planing. Strut is set neutral. Motor was warm to the touch. Swapped packs for a turnigy 3300mah 4s 30c pack and I actually lost 1mph! I think the stock 36mm prop is waay to small and is cavitating @ speed. Motor temps came back @ 117. I'm gonna test it again tomorrow with my 442 and see how it does.

JEDNJONES
08-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey 35.5 is pretty good for one 3s pack on the first day! I will order some new props...do you know what shaft size for that? This will be my second boat. I run a fastech w x642 It does around 40. I was planning on just running the 2 2s 35c 6800s from the fastech. Although ti says it can handle 6S.
Jerry

forescott
08-19-2010, 06:57 PM
The shaft is 4mm, so you will need a spacer if you want to run 3/16 inch props. (no big deal) Yah, 2000kv is too high for 6s. The outrunner looks a little on the small side, but it seemed pretty happy on 4s. We'll see what happens when I prop up a bit.

Diesel6401
08-19-2010, 09:09 PM
The shaft is 4mm, so you will need a spacer if you want to run 3/16 inch props. (no big deal) Yah, 2000kv is too high for 6s. The outrunner looks a little on the small side, but it seemed pretty happy on 4s. We'll see what happens when I prop up a bit.

What's the KV rating on the outrunner?

Eidt, sorry I see the answer in a Pic 2000kv

Rumdog
08-19-2010, 09:34 PM
36mm prop?!?!? That's way too small for a hull this size!

Brushless55
08-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Got it out on the water today in stock form with a single turnigy 5000mah 3s 30c pack it gps'd at 35.5mph. Seems to cavitate a LOT before planing. Strut is set neutral. Motor was warm to the touch. Swapped packs for a turnigy 3300mah 4s 30c pack and I actually lost 1mph! I think the stock 36mm prop is waay to small and is cavitating @ speed. Motor temps came back @ 117. I'm gonna test it again tomorrow with my 442 and see how it does.

Thanks for the update
how about a video? :tongue_smilie:

forescott
08-19-2010, 10:52 PM
36mm prop?!?!? That's way too small for a hull this size!

My thoughts exactly. I sent them an e-mail to see if it was a mistake, or just quality venom engineering. The advertisement says it comes with a 40mm x 1.4 3-blade. Awaiting a response.

forescott
08-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Got in another couple of runs today with the octura x442. Very little cavitation this time and got a gps reading of 34mph on 3s. Stepped it u to my 4s pack and it really came alive. On 4s gps was 45mph. Motor temp was 122 degrees. esc was cool. Now the handling issues begin. The boat is really light with 1-pack and the cog needs to be moved forward. Unfortunately there is no room for battery movement. Another problem with bigger props is that the rudder bracket is directly over the prop. The larger the prop, the less room you have to adjust the stinger. With a 442 you cant even run the strut neutral. It has to be slight negative. Now since the hull is moving faster and the light weight boat is skipping on top of the waves now, when it comes out of the water and then back down the prop catches the water first and the hull twists violently to one side from the prop torque. I am wondering if the outrunner is even a good choice for a narrow mono because when you blip the throttle, the whole boat twists from the torque. I've never felt or seen this from an inrunner, and I'm thinking this isnt helping when the boat is skipping over even the slightest chop. Gonna play with the tabs a bit and see if it helps.

Brushless55
08-20-2010, 10:54 PM
45mph on 4s, that's sweet.... :popcorn2:

Diesel6401
08-20-2010, 11:26 PM
Got in another couple of runs today with the octura x442. Very little cavitation this time and got a gps reading of 34mph on 3s. Stepped it u to my 4s pack and it really came alive. On 4s gps was 45mph. Motor temp was 122 degrees. esc was cool. Now the handling issues begin. The boat is really light with 1-pack and the cog needs to be moved forward. Unfortunately there is no room for battery movement. Another problem with bigger props is that the rudder bracket is directly over the prop. The larger the prop, the less room you have to adjust the stinger. With a 442 you cant even run the strut neutral. It has to be slight negative. Now since the hull is moving faster and the light weight boat is skipping on top of the waves now, when it comes out of the water and then back down the prop catches the water first and the hull twists violently to one side from the prop torque. I am wondering if the outrunner is even a good choice for a narrow mono because when you blip the throttle, the whole boat twists from the torque. I've never felt or seen this from an inrunner, and I'm thinking this isnt helping when the boat is skipping over even the slightest chop. Gonna play with the tabs a bit and see if it helps.

I wondering if the ammo 36-88 you have for this hull is going to be a good set-up on not. Your going to need to swing a decent size prop with that motor and you may not have the room to do it and a bigger prop will only make your torque roll worse. You may need to run a little hotter setup, to run a smaller prop. Very interesting. Seem like you may have some work ahead of you.

forescott
08-21-2010, 09:56 AM
I wondering if the ammo 36-88 you have for this hull is going to be a good set-up on not. Your going to need to swing a decent size prop with that motor and you may not have the room to do it and a bigger prop will only make your torque roll worse. You may need to run a little hotter setup, to run a smaller prop. Very interesting. Seem like you may have some work ahead of you.

Exactly, I would have to swap out the hardware for something different to run the ammo. Plus re-config the battery arrangement, change the motor mount. Might not be worth the effort. If I can get the handling figured out, I may just leave it as-is.

JEDNJONES
09-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Hey Forscott,
Have you made any more progress with your Fountain? I copied your setup and ran 44mph (radar) on light chop. I ordered a Nue 1512 2D and mount etc. From OSE and am going to try some different props. Its a great boat except for the stress cracks and broken windshields. Venom will not return my messages and cant get any parts yet.
Jerry

forescott
09-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Hey Forscott,
Have you made any more progress with your Fountain? I copied your setup and ran 44mph (radar) on light chop. I ordered a Nue 1512 2D and mount etc. From OSE and am going to try some different props. Its a great boat except for the stress cracks and broken windshields. Venom will not return my messages and cant get any parts yet.
Jerry

Not yet, I've been working on a 41-inch mono, so the p-1 is sidelined for now!

nomobux
09-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Venom will not return my messages and cant get any parts yet <<<< Gee, imagine that !!!:bounce::bounce:

Skullcracken
09-20-2010, 07:05 PM
I just checked towerhobbies, and they are listing the new p-1 mono "in-stock"(limited quantities). Gave em a call and mine is on its way. :banana:

Also in stock at RC Planet as of 09/20/10. Just ordered it. Now I need help modding it.

jamespl
09-21-2010, 11:14 AM
just got back from cancun today and my p1 was waiting for me at my moms, i got hit for £67 import tax though, this really annoys me because you cant get them in the UK so i had to but it from the states, oh well just put it all together and an x640 has gone on already before its even got wet! might try and run it tomorrow.

JEDNJONES
09-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Yea, The plastic prop it comes with is not even worth trying at all. Enjoy your new Fountains guys!
Jerry