PDA

View Full Version : Paint scheme for my tow boat

Simon.O.
08-16-2010, 03:56 AM
This is a Semi-Scale MLB that I use as a tow boat for my FE hulls.
I am keen to make it look a bit better and have come up with a few ideas for the colours.

I like the diagonal stripes as is common with a Coast Guard type paint scheme and here is my take on that.

Stripes on the hull
Stripes on the topsides
Stripes on both.

I have added a few more pics to show the hull/deck shape, the deck will be painted a dark grey soon.

What do you think as far as the stripes go ??

ozzie-crawl
08-18-2010, 02:08 AM
i like the first one
check this out http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DUMAS-U-S-C-G-UTILITY-BOAT-31-1214-/110572952822?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_V ehicles

Xzessperated
08-18-2010, 02:20 AM
i like the first one

I agree and I am surprised you did not paint it to look like Balsa to match all your other boats :biggrin:

Simon.O.
08-18-2010, 03:19 AM
I agree and I am surprised you did not paint it to look like Balsa to match all your other boats :biggrin:
I was waiting for you to come out with that call :laugh:
In all fairness the hull is a thin glass shell but the framing, decks and topsides are all balsa.
I think I'll go with the traditional stripe on the hull and add a hand rail and some other bits to the topsides to break up the white.
After a few days of looking at the mock up stripes, which is only coloured paper, I see that the extra red stripes on the topsides makes it look a bit like a race boat or even worse a blinged up "boy racer" paint scheme .

I'll keep you two posted.

Xzessperated
08-18-2010, 03:31 AM
I was waiting for you to come out with that call :laugh:
In all fairness the hull is a thin glass shell but the framing, decks and topsides are all balsa.
I think I'll go with the traditional stripe on the hull and add a hand rail and some other bits to the topsides to break up the white.
After a few days of looking at the mock up stripes, which is only coloured paper, I see that the extra red stripes on the topsides makes it look a bit like a race boat or even worse a blinged up "boy racer" paint scheme .

I'll keep you two posted.

It looks very nice Simon and watching to see how it looks when finished.

For a minute I thought Douggie had painted the stripes on :w00t:

Flying Scotsman
08-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Kiwi, you are a master of balsa.....painting and colour schemes...HHMMMM....I trust this epistle pisses you off Paddy...poetry Paddy..seriously...looks great.

Douggie