PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Power Model Co.

m4a1usr
08-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Folks,

I got a chance to hold and fondle a HobbyWing Xerun 4274SL motor today at my LHS . I decided to run home real quick and bring my Leopard 4074 so I could do a side by side comparison. They are similar but different if that makes sense. The Leopard I have is not the same motor of course. What I wanted to see was construction and materials. The motors have similarities. The end plates use the same number of screws, and the bolt pattern for mounting look identical. But the major difference is the motor leads. The Leopard has some form of sheathing on the wires, on both my 5692 and the 4074. But the Xerun has real silicone 10ga wire, like the Castle/Neu's.

I guess my question is since most know HobbyWing just rebadges other makers products does anyone know if the Xerun is made by Leopard? Looks like it to me. I thought maybe someone here might have an inside ear on LPMC products and know more on their product lines.

John

ozzie-crawl
08-16-2010, 07:11 AM
i thought Hobby wing made parts that are then re badged ?
they make esc,s for speed passion

sailr
08-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Hobbywing does NOT rebadge. Hobbywing IS a manufacturer of high quality ESC's. They MAY be picking up the motors somewhere else but I doubt it. I know the owner of the company. He is a very conscientious guy! I don't believe there is any relationship between Leopard and Hobbywing.

What may have you confused about rebadging is that HobbyKING, not Hobbywing, rebadges everything. HobbyKing makes nothing. In fact, the Turnigy marine ESCs are rebadged from Hobbywing and Hifei, two different companies.

Folks,

I got a chance to hold and fondle a HobbyWing Xerun 4274SL motor today at my LHS . I decided to run home real quick and bring my Leopard 4074 so I could do a side by side comparison. They are similar but different if that makes sense. The Leopard I have is not the same motor of course. What I wanted to see was construction and materials. The motors have similarities. The end plates use the same number of screws, and the bolt pattern for mounting look identical. But the major difference is the motor leads. The Leopard has some form of sheathing on the wires, on both my 5692 and the 4074. But the Xerun has real silicone 10ga wire, like the Castle/Neu's.

I guess my question is since most know HobbyWing just rebadges other makers products does anyone know if the Xerun is made by Leopard? Looks like it to me. I thought maybe someone here might have an inside ear on LPMC products and know more on their product lines.

John

m4a1usr
08-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks Jim, Scott. I cant keep the chi stuff straight if I wanted to.

John

LiPo Power
08-16-2010, 12:46 PM
So what is that you like about Leopard 4074 ? Did you open it maybe to see it inside.
Do you have any pictures maybe?
Thanks
Robert

Brushless55
08-16-2010, 06:32 PM
do you have any links to this motor from hobbywing?

m4a1usr
08-16-2010, 08:22 PM
So what is that you like about Leopard 4074 ? Did you open it maybe to see it inside.
Do you have any pictures maybe?
Thanks
Robert

I do have some pics. Need to get them posted soon. I dont have anything particular that I like about the Leopard 4074. Just wanted to see if it lives up to what everyone is stating about it. The proof is in the pudding but I dont have a build I want to stick it in yet. I'm thinking my Xcess 2 might see it at some point. At this time the only thing I have ascertained is that the Castle/Neu rotor does not fit in it nor the end plates. The spec's might be close. But the parts do not interchange so far. That does not detract from the Leopard. It has never been claimed to be a direct replacement. Just a comparable motor.

John

m4a1usr
08-16-2010, 08:27 PM
do you have any links to this motor from hobbywing?

Here you go! http://www.hobbywing.com/ENGLISH/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=461 The motor looked good in person. Dont know about performance though.

John

Rumdog
08-16-2010, 08:30 PM
I'll be running the Leopard in my new Phil Thomas Stealth Sport...... if the hull ever shows up.

Diesel6401
08-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Motor looks cool, but for the price of the Hobbywing (http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-sl-4168-2250kv-blue-v1.html) vs the Leopard (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=leo-4074) I rather go with the leopard. Plus only $5 shipping from Steve. Unless anyone else knows a cheaper site to grab this motor from.

v-spec
08-19-2010, 06:22 PM
I had a link to the 4074 for $69.00 plus $8.00 shipping but not sure what I did with it. I'd bet shipping would be a bit slow but it's definitely cheaper.

Graeme
08-19-2010, 06:49 PM
I run the XERUN-4274SL in my e maxx.
very nice motor loads of power and very reliable.

mschaffer66
08-19-2010, 09:48 PM
I had the Hobbywing 1/8th scale, Mamba Monster comparable, motor and esc last summer and the ESC was awesome but the motor took a dump on me. E-mailed Hobbywing and they basically said their motors(AT THAT TIME AT LEAST) sucked and they sent me a replacement motor for it for no charge.

I think they have changed all of their stuff with the XERUN stuff now though so that might be a waste of typing :)

Diesel6401
08-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Hobbywing does NOT rebadge. Hobbywing IS a manufacturer of high quality ESC's. They MAY be picking up the motors somewhere else but I doubt it. I know the owner of the company. He is a very conscientious guy! I don't believe there is any relationship between Leopard and Hobbywing.

What may have you confused about rebadging is that HobbyKING, not Hobbywing, rebadges everything. HobbyKing makes nothing. In fact, the Turnigy marine ESCs are rebadged from Hobbywing and Hifei, two different companies.

Sailr do you think Hobbywing would ever make a 240 amp esc? Something like how Castle did with their 240's and just stacking 2 120's on top of each other (changing programming of course, you get the point), but that would be a GREAT esc IMO.

sailr
08-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Not sure about Hobbywing making a 240 since they advertise their 180 will peak at 360A or something like that. I think what you're asking is if Hobbywing will make an HV esc. Sorry, cant tell you at this point. I think if Mr. Peng ever did make one it would be outstanding.

Hifei is another really good esc company. They're making the Swordfish esc's.

Diesel6401
08-25-2010, 08:22 PM
I have a 180 and love it. I wasn't thinking of a HV just something with higher continous rating. I have the Hifei, their ok but the hobbywing seem much better quality JMO of course. Thank you for your response.