PDA

View Full Version : wire drive upgrade questions

JPriami
08-12-2010, 10:41 PM
I plan on ordering these from rcraceboats. They come as a pair when you buy them right? Also I have the red venom 36mm pro machine props. will they fit on these or will I have to drill them out? and is that ok to do or will it make them off center? So all I will need is the wire drives and octura motor couplers and everything else will fit? no need for another drive dog? I plan on getting a thrust bearing too or will that be needed for this setup?

Thanks

scubasteve95
08-12-2010, 11:15 PM
wires are direct replacements for
the flex..just take flexs out and slide wires in...done

LarrysDrifter
08-12-2010, 11:23 PM
The wires come in pairs.The stub shaft on the wire drives are 4mm-meaning you run 4mm props.That limits prop selection,but you have enough to pick from for what your doing.Dont drill anything.The collets or couplers-which ever you end up getting are sized like this-the 1st number is the motor shaft size,the 2nd number is the size of the wire or flex cable size you will be using.Heres my set-up:
Fiageo 380 9XL's,SeaKing 120 esc's,two Turnigy 4s-4000mah batteries.And for what you could use here for drives:
.062 wires drives for the EKOS.They come with a 4mm stub shaft for the stock stingers.
The Fiageo 380 XL motors have an 1/8 inch shaft.
Collets are 1/8x.062.Couplers would be the same size.

VIKOS
08-13-2010, 01:18 AM
buy both collets and couplers for the wires..see which one you like better. I'm kinda stuck on the couplers for ease of removal. when I order them for wire drives I'll be ordering two sets of couplers. Guess I'm gona be the first to use wire drive couplers on the EKOS lol thats cool like different

JPriami
08-13-2010, 11:09 AM
I ordered the wire drives and collets but i ordered the wrong collets. I need the 1.8 octura ones. I tried to email the person at rcraceboat.com but I havent got a reply yet. I really need to fix this order before its too late. does anyone have a phone number for him?

Jeff Wohlt
08-13-2010, 06:31 PM
You got a reply. Relax man. I sell thousands of things...some a little late as I am very busy but will get it done. As most have said...it is with the wait.

JPriami
08-13-2010, 06:34 PM
I got your email thanks. I posted this about the same time I emailed you. I was about to head out to work and wanted to cover all my option just incase ;)
Again thanks, and I look forward to getting the stuff.

VIKOS
08-14-2010, 05:22 PM
wow I really am going to be the only wire drive coupler EKOS in here lol well I won't be unbolting my motor t oget it in..or have to grind the motor mount for it to fit...biggest issue will be allen screws wearing out..but whats a few cents for screws..lol hey jeff have you recieved the 9xl or 10 xl motors yet..gona order 2 sets of couplers and wire drives this week...question though seeing as the wire drives are smaller diameter than flex shafts..maybe a smaller housing but stock size is worth looking into..should help with water getting in also along with the right prop spacer???

JPriami
08-14-2010, 05:47 PM
no you wont be the only one. I ordered the wire drive and a spare set of flex drives. also I think forescott has them.

Jeff Wohlt
08-15-2010, 01:54 AM
I AM not doing motors anymore....OSE has them.

VIKOS
08-15-2010, 03:36 AM
ok jeff...no you said you ordered collets..are different than couplers...your boat has couplers in it now. U need a wrench to tighten the collet and allen key to tighten coupler believe it or not..why would you get another flex set..should have gotten another set of wire drives instead lol

forescott
08-16-2010, 09:45 PM
I recently had my stingers off the ekos and took them completely apart to inspect and lube the inner bearings. It appears that the only way for water to get up the stuffing tube is to enter from the end of the stinger through both the outer and inner bearing before heading up the tube. So the water has to make its way between the bearing parts themselves or by squeezing between the prop shaft and the bearing. If the correct type & modest amount of lube is used, then no matter how much space is between the wire drive "wire" and the teflon tube, it should make no difference in whether water comes up the shaft or not. All the "sealing needs to be done at the prop shafts and bearings. Their is a teflon washer in the stinger where it pivots, that when tightened, seals the stinger so no water can enter @ the pivot point. Ive been running my wire drives with a ton of space between them and the teflon tube, and had no water coming up the shaft. But I use plenty of Grim speed grease at the prop shaft. Its super-thick and doesn't wash away like many other thinner lubes. So far so good for me!

forescott
08-16-2010, 09:55 PM
As for the defenition of collets/couplers. Its my understanding that a coupler is a pretty general term that can be used to describe any type of device that connects two objects together. (like a coupler that connects train cars together) And a collet also has many different variations as well. I'm going by the ose wesite and calling them "set screw style couplers" and "collet style couplers"

LarrysDrifter
08-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Forescott,have you run the x442's yet?Havent heard anything in a while.

forescott
08-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Not yet, Its all ready to go too. I had a busy weekend so I didn't get a chance. Hopefully tomorrow or the next day. I just found out my new Venom p-1 mono is on its way, so I'd better run the ekos soon before my new toy arrives!!

FighterCat57
08-16-2010, 10:20 PM
I run Octura "short" hex collets 5mm-062 w/062 wire drives in my EKOS. Drop in, lube up and go! (I did cut my stuffing tubes back a little to keep the collet from hitting the motor mount. ) I also use Hybrid Ceramic Boca Bearings in the stingers.

There are Aluminum Set Screw Couplers 5mm - 062 w/062 wire drives in my 32" Generic Cat, Das Boot.

There are 078 Wires in my Apparition, Genesis and Sprintcat... some with Octura Collets and some with Set Screw Couplers. I like them both equally.

In line with forescott, generally if using Collet/Coupler in conversation, prefix them with Hex Collet or Set Screw Coupler to avoid confusion.

I've had some pretty good luck setting up the couplers/ collets and wires with Jeff's help. He's a one man show, so patience is in order, but his drives are well worth the wait. :beerchug:

I'd be glad to help anyone working with the wire drives get them installed correctly. Good stuff for sure. :thumbup1:

forescott
08-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Forescott,have you run the x442's yet?Havent heard anything in a while.

Got a chance to run the ekos today with the new layout and batteries in the sponsons. Water conditions were good but still a little chop. Only got 2-decent passes and I'm running out of space at my water hole. Also was getting a little radio interference.( I might be going out of range) so I kept my run really short. But I got 62.1mph on gps. The ekos is literally a rocket on these props and you really have to be careful with the throttle control. Even @ 40mph, if you hit the throttle too hard the nose of the hull wants to point straight up! I'm pretty happy with breaking 60 and don't plan on pushing this boat anymore. I like the way the boat handles with the batteries in the sponsons. It seems to hold the turns better and doesnt appear to be nose heavy. Overall I still think the cf-40 is my favorite prop so far.

LarrysDrifter
08-17-2010, 06:53 PM
You have a good setup with your batts in the sponsons.Thats where mine will be when I get my hull fixed.Im gonna stick with my 38's.I got my speed fix with this one.Wasnt worth it.Glad to hear you tried the 442's.Theyre fun but not at the expense of a damaged hull.

Team Jericho
08-22-2010, 03:12 PM
I just installed my wire drives from Jeff and they are great! NO water leakage either. However, one does have to get the dremmel out for drive dog cut-outs etc. Thanks Jeff for a great product and alternative to the coil crap!

Jeff Wohlt
08-22-2010, 08:14 PM
Glad they work well. I am waiting on some more 4mm SS shaft as the satuff McMaster sent me last week was pitted. Not happy with them so they are sending more and should have it Monday.

Anyone that order shafts with 4mm stubs should know this and I will finish the orders in a couple days.

FighterCat57
08-22-2010, 08:32 PM
I just installed my wire drives from Jeff and they are great! NO water leakage either. However, one does have to get the dremmel out for drive dog cut-outs etc. Thanks Jeff for a great product and alternative to the coil crap!

Make sure to keep them lubricated and check the set screws after each run.

Jeff, rock on, thanks for not sending out pitted shafts!
(not that you would, but some other guys would just to get the orders out)

VIKOS
08-22-2010, 09:57 PM
so the wire drives come pitted now...gona put my order in for 3 sets of wire drives 2 sets of dogs and prop screws..and gona try the CF-40's like everyones talknig about....on stock motors lol seem to be having good luck with these motors and esc so gona do it..if they burn then esc and motors are on there way anyways...ohh and 2 sets of wire drive set screw couplers

Jeff Wohlt
08-23-2010, 12:33 AM
No...the ss shaft for stubs was pitted and the finish sucked. We will see after I raised hell. I order a lot of metal from them and alum.

JPriami
08-29-2010, 02:18 PM
can i adjust the strut angles with the wire drives when i get em? or will that bend not be good?

FighterCat57
08-29-2010, 03:19 PM
can i adjust the strut angles with the wire drives when i get em? or will that bend not be good?

They will be fine. They can take a few degrees no problem.

JPriami
08-29-2010, 03:25 PM
cool beans

JPriami
08-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Got my wire drives installed yesterday. had all my set screws tight. this morning i tested it & got about 30 feet out from hitting the throttle to get up on plane. and one of them came loose and is at the bottom of the lake now. along with my drive dog, prop, thrust washer and prop nut.:cursing: I have my flex cables still but i have to take the motors out to change the couplers back. im still out thrust washer,prop, drive dog and prop nut. Oh and i also am missing the rear bearing.
damn it man

FighterCat57
08-31-2010, 07:07 PM
That sucks. Sorry to hear.

forescott
08-31-2010, 09:10 PM
I would get the hex/style couplers. I use em on my wire drives with no issues. I dont trust the set screw/style couplers with wire drives. I dont think the tiny set screws have enough "bite" on the wires. (even though they use 4-screws) JMO

LarrysDrifter
08-31-2010, 09:24 PM
I would get the hex/style couplers. I use em on my wire drives with no issues. I dont trust the set screw/style couplers with wire drives. I dont think the tiny set screws have enough "bite" on the wires. (even though they use 4-screws) JMO

:iagree:Even though,I find that I still had to tighten the collets after a few runs back in the old days of my EKOS.

JPriami
08-31-2010, 09:33 PM

Well when i ordered the couplers i realized within 10 mins that i ordered the wrong thing. And i emailed him saying i wanted the octura couplers instead. But i didn’t get those. I got the other couplers. I didn’t complain about it. I just decided to go ahead and use what I got. So i am paying for my impatience on bothering to send them back to get what I wanted.

forescott
08-31-2010, 09:35 PM
I just think they grab much better without having to really "wrench" them down.

FighterCat57
08-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Well when i ordered the couplers i realized within 10 mins that i ordered the wrong thing. And i emailed him saying i wanted the octura couplers instead. But i didn’t get those. I got the other couplers. I didn’t complain about it. I just decided to go ahead and use what I got. So i am paying for my impatience on bothering to send them back to get what I wanted.

The set screw couplers are excellent and the best couplers I've come across. Hex couplers are arguably more convenient and work just as well, but with the set screw couplers you can grind in a flat spot, just where the screws hit. This helps prevent shaft slip and shaft loss.

Also, the couplers that Jeff sells are made using good size set screws and have quite a bit of room for the threads. This helps with longevity of the coupler. They are also lighter.

So there's a bit of the + and the - on both sides. I use both and leverage the features for the application.

JPriami
08-31-2010, 10:05 PM
I wish i had a tiny wheel collar to put on the end of the wire drive to keep it just incase something like this happens.

FighterCat57
08-31-2010, 10:24 PM
I wish i had a tiny wheel collar to put on the end of the wire drive to keep it just incase something like this happens.

I've been thinking of using a small e-clip for just that purpose. Wouldn't have to make a groove for it, just snap it on. Would be just enough to keep it from sliding out. Wheel collars are nice too.

JPriami
08-31-2010, 10:26 PM
thats a good idea Fightercat

forescott
08-31-2010, 11:04 PM
Grinding a flat spot on those already-small diameter wires makes me nervous. Especially when running bigger props like the 442's. But I agree, grinding a small flat spot and a little blue lock-tite should do the trick!

FighterCat57
08-31-2010, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I should qualify; a slight flat spot, really not more than just enough to keep it from spinning or sliding.