PDA

View Full Version : Drifting at WOT! Normal?

sanyijr
08-10-2010, 06:20 PM
So I am running 7.4V lipos, X642 prop, low timing, stab fins 90-degrees to hull. Drive is about as low as it can go with slight negative angle down. All else is stock (except 2.4G radio which is awesome)

Runs great but at WOT, it will drift or wabble slightly from side to side. It runs in a straight line, but rolls side to side might be a better description. Is this normal? I don't recall this happening with the stock plastic prop, but I chipped the plastic prop a few hours into getting the boat into the water. Metal prop is wway better overall. Faster, smoother, quieter and oh yes, faster.....

Any suggestions? It turns like on rails! But cavitates a hair as well when plaining out of I am a little slow on the throttle. Thanks.

H2OCamel
08-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Sanyijr welcome to OSE! What boat are you running? What you describe is called chine walking which is the boat becoming unstable at high speeds.

H2OCamel
08-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Ok I'm slow today I see it is a fastec. I haven't seen one in person so I can't tell you what to do, but I'm sure others here can help.

lectriglide
08-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Read post #5, item #4 - it will tell you how to eliminate the chine walking.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=8314

forescott
08-10-2010, 08:29 PM
You're 642 has more "lift" than you're stock prop, and you're running on the "knife-edge" of that hull. I would also play around with the weight distribution if possible. It might be enough to settle it down a bit.