PDA

View Full Version : New Turnigy marine 180

Rumdog
08-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Ordered a Turnigy 180 last Wednesday from HK. Pais EMS shipping, and got it today! They have made a couple changes to it from recent ones. The case is different. It has 2 tabs with holes that can be used to secure the esc. They are also now using silicone along with the rubber seal ring to make it water tight. Looks to be sealed up well, but I dont wanna find out the hard way either. I like that these Chinese companies are actually making the effort to make us boaters happy without making us wait forever to re-vamp design flaws. These esc's have been great to me in the past.

Flying Scotsman
08-03-2010, 04:51 PM
The really big difference is the burst current...360 amps

Douggie

Alfa Spirit
08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
This one is a Hobbywing Seaking-180A ESC (Version 2.0)

I bought two from HiModel for my twin setup catamaran, Version 2.0 is much better. HK now sale this last version

Rumdog
08-03-2010, 05:14 PM
My last pair, 1 Seaking, 1 Turnigy, were also V2. This one however, is a little different.

Alfa Spirit
08-03-2010, 05:16 PM
That' s right, I like that :banana:

The Hobbywing Seaking 180A at HiModel is the last version. I' m not sure about Turnigy :confused2:

m4a1usr
08-03-2010, 08:33 PM
That' s right, I like that :banana:

The Hobbywing Seaking 180A at HiModel is the last version. I' m not sure about Turnigy :confused2:

This a pic of the latest V2 Turnigy 180 wiring coming off the main pcb board. They no longer have the wires soldered thru the main board. There is a bullet or recepticle that is soldered on first and then the wire into that. And it appears that the bullet is peened onto the board prior to soldering.

John

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af218/m4a1usr/DSCN4413.jpg

Alfa Spirit
08-03-2010, 09:01 PM
The Seaking 180A V2.0 from Hobbywing

Rumdog
08-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Yep Alfa. That looks just like mine. Tabs, and silicone.

fazznick
08-03-2010, 09:49 PM
I just got mine today as well. Mine also has tabs and silicone. Ordered mine on sunday night and paid for ups 3 day shipping. I thought mine looked a little different than in the pics on hobbyking. Glad to see this may be a newer version.

sailr
08-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Good to see the improvements. I've had good luck with my older one.

Himalaya
08-04-2010, 03:12 AM
The silicone is better than previous version, but not sufficient. Apply more yourself, to the gap under/around the aluminum heatsink and all case joint gaps, PCB-case gaps, capacitor leads..... every gap you can think of. That will ensure your ESC to survive even if it get submerged in water, and keeps your PCB away from green copper stain.

suckmywake
08-09-2010, 03:19 PM
I see the Seaking 180a has version 2 printed on the label. Does any one have a Turnigy 180a with version 2 printed on the label? I have a 2 month old Turnigy from HK that has plastic mounting tabs and same motor leads and batt leads and silicone gasket as the v2 Seaking in above pictures but label does not say v2.

I will post picture when I get a chance.

forescott
08-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Is the price the same as the older version?

Flying Scotsman
08-09-2010, 07:02 PM
I see the Seaking 180a has version 2 printed on the label. Does any one have a Turnigy 180a with version 2 printed on the label? I have a 2 month old Turnigy from HK that has plastic mounting tabs and same motor leads and batt leads and silicone gasket as the v2 Seaking in above pictures but label does not say v2.

I will post picture when I get a chance.

The new Turnigy 180 specs are the difference, as I stated, but it does not have the sealing you see on the Seaking, interesting and some have had LV cutoff problems and I note the Turnigy programmer is slightly different and they state it will not work with similar looking products and people using the Seaking programmer on Turnigy may have a programming issue.

Douggie

Rumdog
08-09-2010, 07:07 PM
My new one is The Turnigy. It has the sealing, and bolt holes. It does not say version2. The program card is the same for the seaking and turnigy. They are the exact same controllers. The only incorrect prog. box, is the one for land based esc, which I'm told you can order a face plate for. In my twin cat, one esc was a Turnigy 180, the other was a Seaking. They performed exactly the same. I don't think they are selling it as a new version. V2 has been out for several months now. Seems they are just making a few necessary adjustments along the way.

Flying Scotsman
08-09-2010, 07:23 PM
This is really interesting I got the latest Turnigy as they were out of stock when I ordered a month ago...2 tabs no sealing? no new version spec #..their controller has been out of stock for a long time

Douggie

Rumdog
08-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Where you order it from Douggie?

Flying Scotsman
08-09-2010, 07:30 PM
HK... this is really mind numbing

Douggie

Rumdog
08-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Yeah, it's definately out of stock right now.

Flying Scotsman
08-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Anybody else receive a Turnigy 180 marine within the last couple of weeks?? and were they sealed? Did I get an old batch or was the sealing done to cover up a manufacturing bobo. mine is identical to the picture John shows but with tabs. Also any LV cutoff problems?

Douggie

Rumdog
08-09-2010, 08:18 PM
All I can say, is that I've owned 6 seaking, or turnigy 180's. Never had a single lvc problem. Generally, I don't run to lvc, but being a sport boater, it happens. With my twin cat, I ran to the lvc several times. Wired completely seperate from each other (cells, motors) The lvc's would simultaneously kick in. This was running neu/castle 1515 2200's on 4 and 5s 1p each, Turnigy 30c 5000mah packs.

m4a1usr
08-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Guy's,
I know mine wasnt sealed well on the bottom plastic cover with silicone but that doesnt bother me in any way. I wanted to spray the logic board and the opposite side with the FET's with Conformal Spray anyways so for me my V2 version was perfect in my application. Its running well, so far, in a FX rigger with the castle/neu 1515 1Y but its going into my Miss Atlas with a 1515 1.5D soon. I'll see how it does with more amps. Any of you guys tracking how well these esc are doing? I hate to recommend these speedos if they are problimatic but thats not been my experience so far. But I do know some have fried on initial plug in.

John

suckmywake
08-10-2010, 11:44 PM
This is picture of mine. It was sealed up with silicone but I would recomend removing 4 screw holding on heat sink on and seal up between heat sink and plastic holder and plastic holder and pc board. I added extra cooling. The paper work that came with mine shows 180a cont. and 360a burst. So I am thinking this is the verson 2. I bought it from Hobbyking about 2 months ago.

Alexgar
08-11-2010, 12:01 AM
no tabs on mine 3 weeks old but perfect as always
i need to order a towerpro 40 foer a mini vee
any objectionds?

Alfa Spirit
08-11-2010, 01:47 AM
Be carefuln Turnigy esc are B-Stock from Hobbywing Seaking, pay for a Seaking 180A V. 2 , that' s the best choice you can do :thumbup1:

Flying Scotsman
08-11-2010, 01:52 AM
All I can say, is that I've owned 6 seaking, or turnigy 180's. Never had a single lvc problem. Generally, I don't run to lvc, but being a sport boater, it happens. With my twin cat, I ran to the lvc several times. Wired completely seperate from each other (cells, motors) The lvc's would simultaneously kick in. This was running neu/castle 1515 2200's on 4 and 5s 1p each, Turnigy 30c 5000mah packs.

The lvc problem I was referring to, was it may kick in at after initial power application and some members have had to turn off the lvc to remedy this apparent problem.

Douggie

forescott
08-11-2010, 04:38 AM
The lvc problem I was referring to, was it may kick in at after initial power application and some members have had to turn off the lvc to remedy this apparent problem.

Douggie
Mine would studder @ full tilt. I turned the lvc off and it quit.

electric
08-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Be carefuln Turnigy esc are B-Stock from Hobbywing Seaking, pay for a Seaking 180A V. 2 , that' s the best choice you can do :thumbup1:

Alfa, that is the first I have heard of this? How do you know they are B-stock from Hobbywing? I have two of the Turnigy 180's, but if you are correct, then obviously I would buy the Seaking.

Alfa Spirit
08-11-2010, 01:31 PM
A friend of mine have a Gibson SG Std B-Stock from Musician' s Friend, the guitar sounds great and this is a beauty ....

Rumdog
08-11-2010, 01:33 PM
A friend of mine have a Gibson SG Std B-Stock from Musician' s Friend, the guitar sounds great and this is a beauty ....

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?! Back on topic, I've never heard of the Turnigy's being second class either. Not sure who told you that, but I'd bet they're full of it!

forescott
08-11-2010, 01:48 PM
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?! Back on topic, I've never heard of the Turnigy's being second class either. Not sure who told you that, but I'd bet they're full of it!

:iagree: Turnigy marine is definetly not sub-par to the seaking v-2. A couple of mounting points and a little silicone isn't exactly an advance in technology.

DISAR
08-11-2010, 04:47 PM
I bought one T180, 5 months ago and another one 2 months ago. Only difference I noticed was on the screws (black and silver color). Both work great in a twin setup, version 2 I believe came out more than 9 months ago. A or B stock??? nobody knows, it's all Chinese stuff, QC will be very typical but they have done very very well!!!

as I can see here they were released in Oct 2009
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=9508&highlight=Turnigy&page=6

probably they still make some changes

Rumdog
08-11-2010, 05:19 PM
OK The ONLY difference between the Turnigy and Seaking, is and always has been the label. That is all. If you but it ftom hobbycity, it is Turnigy, that is the house brand. Eldewhere, it is the Seaking. Both newest versions have 2 mount holes and some silicone.