PDA

View Full Version : my other hobby

r1dermon
08-01-2010, 10:43 AM
so other than R/C, im even MORE into fireworks. from sparklers to 8" multibreak shells, im into it. im a member of the NLPC in NH, which is a club that holds multiple shoots a year in states like NH, CT, PA, and as far south as MD. the largest event is a twice yearly shoot in hughesville, MD called MAFF (mid atlantic fireworks festival), which draws well over 100 pyro's to a good sized farm to shoot off tens of thousands of dollars worth of fireworks.

anyway, every year i do a fireworks show on my front lawn. this year was the largest to date, with hundreds in attendance, featuring almost 200 reloadable shells and over 100 cakes, as well as a 16,000 count firecracker wheel...it's sure not to dissapoint.

enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilOos8hUtVw&feature=related (part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_7COkPBKgM&feature=related (part 2)

(ps we had an incident with a drunk ******* in the street, so the finale was delayed between racks, causing a pause between the first racks, and the final rack)

Jeepers
08-01-2010, 05:37 PM
GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!!!!! thats freakin AWESOME! I think you bring the new meaning to "shock and awe".

drwayne
08-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Wow factor 10.0 !

Rumdog
08-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Very nice! A neighbor of mine, 3 houses down is really into it too. I get a great show on the 4th every year. gotta be one hell of an expensive hobby though!

r1dermon
08-01-2010, 06:37 PM
its like every other hobby...you can do a show for 100 bucks, or you can do one for 3k. im sure there are members here who have spent north of what i spent on that show just for a single boat. (that show was about 2k wholesale. if you wanted to buy it retail it would be about 5k)

hey rumdog...i wonder if i know him. lol. i know a lot of pyro's from out that way. every may there's a massive event in northern indiana called GLASS (great lakes area spring shoot). it's a public display and it is absolutely massive. you should look into it if you are interested.

m4a1usr
08-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Looks way cool. :thumbup1: Nothing like the smell of powder either. Sort of foreplay to getting ones ya-ya's. If your young enough and enjoy spectacular chemical reactions join the military and become a Combat Engineer or a member of an EOD team. Its contagious. And there is no experience like doing a demo of mixed ordnance. 2, 3, 4, 5 thousand pounds in one mass det. Thats what being alive is all about!:buttrock:

John

r1dermon
08-01-2010, 11:12 PM
still young, but not young enough, and i have a 1yo son and a soon to be wife...decided on college instead of the military, and that ship has sailed at this point.

i did do demo on the side (kind of an internship with some MAD cool people who had no qualms showing me the ropes), while i was doing construction. got to play with det cord and shock tube, squibs, caps, sodium nitrate blasting powder, the standard ANFO. blasting granite out of NH's ground was a good time. also had a few times where we gave a few pines a wrap of det cord and mowed em down at the push of a button.

PGI is the next best thing to EOD i think. nothing quite like 1100lbs of flash powder going off at the exact same time. binary low explosives causing substantial shockwaves are something im very fond of.

here's a taste of the pgi...this is 1100lbs of flash total, with 111 5" salami salutes in the sequence, 1, 10, 100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvPXp54miTU

btw, the pgi convention, the largest fireworks convention in the world, is being held next saturday the 7th, through the 13th at the wisconsin speedway in appleton wisconsin. more info @ pgi.org.