PDA

View Full Version : Motor Repair Kits / 1515-castle/neu

scoota
07-31-2010, 02:50 AM
Hi Steven , i was on the Castle site , i noticed they sell a repair kit for the 1515 motors , the kit has - new rotor ,end bell , bearings & spacer bushes , would you be able to stock these kits ??? , they are only 25 dollars ...

Jason

andym
07-31-2010, 05:50 AM
What a great idea !!!! I would buy one or two

scoota
07-31-2010, 05:54 AM
What a great idea !!!! I would buy one or two

Me too !!!!!:thumbup1:

egneg
07-31-2010, 08:19 AM
So would I :buttrock:

jcald2000
08-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Me 3 or 4!!

sailr
08-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Will these work on the NEU 1515 motors as well or just the NEU/Castle chinese versions?

scoota
08-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Will these work on the NEU 1515 motors as well or just the NEU/Castle chinese versions?

The end bell suits the Castle/ neu motor, so i would say it would only suit chinese version....

m4a1usr
08-01-2010, 12:25 PM

All the Leopard 1515's I have seen have 4 screws holding on the end bells. So the neu/castle kits will not work. They have 3 screws holding on the end bells.

John

Rumdog
08-01-2010, 06:18 PM
They'll work if you have any tools!

Steven Vaccaro
08-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Funny thing, they sent me (5) of these instead of actual 1515 motors. I returned them because I didnt think anyone would buy them.

johnf
08-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Dang, paid for 5 1515s and got 5 repair kits instead? Sounds like you literally got "the shaft".

:roflol:

m4a1usr
08-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Funny thing, they sent me (5) of these instead of actual 1515 motors. I returned them because I didnt think anyone would buy them.

If you can get enough profit margin out of stocking them it may be a good idea Steve. I now have a 4 of the Neu/Castle 1515 2200kv motors and I'm sure I'm not the only one. So there's a market. They have proven themselves on par with original Neu's in performance. Now the leopards I cant say of now but if they share the rotor and bearings who cares about the end plate. Those dont go bad unless someone is stripping out the motor mount screws. But it does boil down to how much you pay and then have them sit on the shelf until being ordered by us.

John

scoota
08-05-2010, 04:26 PM

Why wouldnt you want to rebuild your motor for that price, Steve ? , well it looks like those 5 kits would have sold pretty quick !!

Steven Vaccaro
08-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Why wouldnt you want to rebuild your motor for that price, Steve ? , well it looks like those 5 kits would have sold pretty quick !!

I had no idea that so many people needed to rebuild a motor already that has only been out for a year or so.

CHUD
08-28-2010, 11:44 PM
If only I new thay had a rebuild ket for my smoked sv27 eng .I never would have got the ul/1 eng and speedcontrole. but I realy do like the upgrade's and If ose ever get's them 'you can count on me to buy one:thumbup1:

JMSCARD
08-30-2010, 10:50 PM
So does this repair ki work for the neu 1515's? I have a 1515 1.5y that lost all it's cogging....was only 6 runs old... Ran it too hot I think...as I had it up to 170 degrees on two occasions Came from fdm...

Steven Vaccaro
08-31-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm not sure. I would suggest you send it to Neu for warranty repair.

scoota
09-26-2010, 05:43 AM
So Steve will you be stocking these kits ? , cause i could really use one about now ...

Steven Vaccaro
09-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Not with all the changes going on with these motors from Castle. Sorry.
Let me know if you have problems getting Castle Stuff. IE, you are out of the country. If so I can special order it for you, to help you out.

BILL OXIDEAN
09-27-2010, 11:43 AM
I had no idea that so many people needed to rebuild a motor already that has only been out for a year or so.

Steve, most of these guys running Neu motors are running motors with tuckered out rotors and bearings.

Most boaters are under the misconception that a Neu motor will last forever! not even close. ask yourselfes, when is the last time you squirted even a drop of oil on the bearings? Be honest with yourself probably never in the life of the motor.

A drop of oil on each bearing gained me 3 mph at a SAWS event

I don't run Neu motors but have experience with them through helping and testing for Randy

I have a Gauss meter, which measures rotor magnet strength. Rotors lose a lot more strength than you think a lot quicker as well

A tuckered out rotor causes all sorts of problems that will be masked with over propping. At the same time, when guys get up on rebuilding, motor sales will drop drasticly.

Car guys change rotors quite frequently. 4 times a season is not uncommon.

raptor347
09-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Most boaters are under the misconception that a Neu motor will last forever! not even close. ask yourselfes, when is the last time you squirted even a drop of oil on the bearings? Be honest with yourself probably never in the life of the motor.

Any motor will last a long time if it's taken care of and run within it's limits. It works the same way at the other end of the spectrum as well, really nice equipment turns to garbage in the right hands.

Me personally, oil bearings. Nearly every run. I replace the bearings every couple seasons. Of course I pull drive shafts every run and lube them as well.

I'm still running a couple of my original 1515's from 2005 (in fact, the 19.622 second 2-lap motor is from 2005). No change in performance. Haven't had to replace a rotor yet. My motors do triple duty for heat racing, 2-lap and SAWs. I check the kV of my motors at the end of each season. I'm not having a big problem with magnets degrading.

I've got guys up here with 5 year old Fiegao's that still run great. They take very good care of them.

Now, if you continuously over heat things, the magnets will degrade in a hurry. It doesn't matter what the quality of the motor. The the rotors I've killed have been on the back of outboards. The thermal shock of dunking a hot motor in cold water is pretty hard on them. Haven't killed the 4+ pole motors that way, but have had 2 pole rotors shatter.

The only drawback to the CC/Neu motors is no easy access to the rear bearing. So it takes a bit more effort to lube. It also sees quite a bit less water than an open bearing.

You need to remember what the target market for these motors was originally, 1/8 scale trucks and buggies. Overheating is a failing gearbox away. A cheap rebuild kit makes a lot of sense for those guys.

In the end, good setup and maintenance really cuts down on the dead motor problem. Doesn't matter what kind of motor either.

Chuck E Cheese
09-30-2010, 03:16 AM
i agree with raptor 100%. i lube my motors before and after running (usually 2 batteries) and on my outboards i am big on taking the motor off of the boat and using corosion block on the bearings and storing that way. the castle/neu requires it since you can not get to the bearings. i lube the rear bearing through the mounting holes on the front of the motor since it is exposed to salt water as an outboard. i have been using 1515 neus as outboards and inboards for about a year and have about 10 runs on teh castle 1515 on an outboard. so far out of 4 motors the only rebuild i have had was a neu 1515 that cut the wire insulation from the outboard turning. i got a call from neu thismorning and the stator was shorted, great to know that they gave me $130 credit on a cooked motor twards a new one. the only problem with the service at neu was she called me at 5am (it happens all the time in hawaii, my favorite wake up call is "i'm coming to hawaii in about 3 months and have a couple questions about the bottom fishing tour" it usually ends with something like "well before you come here do some research on the time difference......... click")

BILL OXIDEAN
09-30-2010, 04:12 AM
Wow! I better find out what type of magnets they use! Apparently Neu uses magnets that don't degrade what so ever during normal use LoL!!!:confused2:

My gauss meter tells me different but what do machines know :tongue_smilie:

Umm Checking KV is one thing, but measuring it under load is a ENTIRELY different story and..

KV may seem fine but in my testing I've found KV to increase as the mags get weaker..

But what do I know lol..

They must be selling rotors for the heck of it LoL!!!!

Chuck E Cheese
09-30-2010, 01:04 PM
well bill. i am sure that there is some degradation over time (as there is with everything in the universe) but as far as "normal" use and the eagle tree readings on RPM's go i havent seen any difference in performance on any of my motors. it must be the sticker they put on the can..... or maybee the watercooling jacket protects the magnets because it seems to be only the car guys needing then... lol also keep in mind that the car guys run theirs for about 15 minutes, that is about 8 times longer than i do so what is 10 runs worth of wear to them is like 80 to me..

BILL OXIDEAN
09-30-2010, 01:39 PM
The bottom line is they are extremely powerful motors to begin with, so the degradation is barely noticable.

Chuck E Cheese
09-30-2010, 05:30 PM
well put....

raptor347
10-01-2010, 03:01 AM
Wow! I better find out what type of magnets they use! Apparently Neu uses magnets that don't degrade what so ever during normal use LoL!!!:confused2:

My gauss meter tells me different but what do machines know :tongue_smilie:

Well, my dyno tells me that the motors I've been running for years haven't seen any measurable degradation. Maybe I just don't push them as hard as some or I just don't run them enough.

I'll have to see if I can get the thermal degredation curves for the material (I had them a few years and a couple computers back). If I remember correctly they were 180C rated material and down below 100C the degredation was effectively 0(down where I try to run my systems).

Of course I could be completely wrong, in which case you should be happy. Be glad I'm running these tired old motors. Think of how fast those N2 boats could go if I was running fresh rotors:biggrin:.

Now I can see where it would be to the advantage of a high volume motor manufacturer to have something the degrades at a controlled rate. They'd sell a lot of replacement parts. I've never experienced that sort of thing with any of the higher end stuff I've played with (my eperience is limited to Aveox, Neu, Lehner and Plettenberg).