PDA

View Full Version : cc 240 and Tactic 2.4 radio

LuckyDuc
07-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Is anyone else using a Tactic 2.4 radio with a CC 240?

Yesterday when I was testing props I noticed that when I turn off the transmitter the ESC goes to full power.:ohmy:

So basically, if you loose signal or go out of range, the ESC will full throttle the boat towards its last heading.

When I turn off my Tactic transmitter with my Etti 150 it just shuts down. Why does my CC 240 go full throttle? Is there some way to correct this?

JMSCARD
07-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Is anyone else using a Tactic 2.4 radio with a CC 240?

Yesterday when I was testing props I noticed that when I turn off the transmitter the ESC goes to full power.:ohmy:

So basically, if you loose signal or go out of range, the ESC will full throttle the boat towards its last heading.

When I turn off my Tactic transmitter with my Etti 150 it just shuts down. Why does my CC 240 go full throttle? Is there some way to correct this?

:eek:thats scary... i use one with my hv240 and my df40.... don't want that too happen... and I am gonna use it on my 54" mhz too.... scary scary!!!

LiPo Power
07-28-2010, 11:22 AM
I had CC-240 with tactic radio and receiver and no problems....
Was it working fine before?

LuckyDuc
07-28-2010, 11:31 AM
:eek:thats scary... i use one with my hv240 and my df40.... don't want that too happen... and I am gonna use it on my 54" mhz too.... scary scary!!!

Maybe it is just mine. Do a test with yours and report back. But you are right. SCARY to say the least.

RCKong
07-28-2010, 11:48 AM
I had a 240 do that also. it lost signal and kept going. ran my delta copy hard into the bank, tore up a new boat...:cursing: Would a fail safe prevent this?

ENCORE MAN
07-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Changing the Castle for an ETTI 150 would prevent this. BG

LuckyDuc
07-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Changing the Castle for an ETTI 150 would prevent this. BG

I had to swap out the Etti 150 for the CC 240 because of the current I'm pulling in my p-mono. I was averaging 160 amps and smoked the Etti. The CC 240 is holding up fine, it just doesn't shut down when the signal is lost.:confused1:

DPeterson
07-28-2010, 01:55 PM
I am under the impression that Castle has a 7 second delay built into their esc's before they shut down due to lost signal. Although this delay time may have been reduced based on some complaints takin back to Castle.

My yge's have a 3 second delay. Still too much time in my opinion. In fact I lost a P Sport Hydro to the rocks because of this. Lost receiver pack power and the boat headed to the shore. It only takes a couple seconds for a fast boat to go where you don't want it to.

Doug

Doby
07-28-2010, 01:57 PM
One would think that Castle would know that a delay is not a good idea.

Grimracer
07-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Sean,

The Tactic RX does indeed shut down with the loss of signal.. if you can test it see if its the time delay in the controler. (99% sure it has one and its likey more then 3 sec long)

Grim

detox
07-28-2010, 02:14 PM
I thought you were supposed to unplug batteries then turn off radio in that order. If you turn radio off first while lipos are still plugged in to esc sometimes esc will do wierd things such as run wide open.

Also make sure your throttle trim is centered to neutral. This knob is veryeasy to move .

LuckyDuc
07-28-2010, 02:22 PM
It has to be the ESC. The wierd thing is... If the boat is just sitting there, and I turn off the transmitter the ESC/boat just takes off at full throttle. I even calibrated the ESC throttle settings several times to make sure it wasn't that.

Fluid
07-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Castle says this about their Phoenix controllers:
The Phoenix will stop the motor as a safety feature when the throttle signal is lost or corrupt. Moving the throttle to the brake position for two seconds may be required to rearm the motor.
No mention of delay time.

LuckyDuc
07-28-2010, 02:32 PM
I thought you were supposed to unplug batteries then turn off radio in that order. If you turn radio off first while lipos are still plugged in to esc sometimes esc will do wierd things such as run wide open.

Also make sure your throttle trim is centered to neutral. This knob is veryeasy to move .
I realize that you should unplug the lipos first, but I sometimes turn off the Tx after taping up to save on Tx batteries. I do this from time to time while waiting for my heat to start.

Regardless, turning off the Tx simulates a lost signal, and it sure as hell shouldn't take off at full power when I do.

I'm hoping someone else will test this to see if they can reproduce it.

detox
07-28-2010, 02:50 PM
I have witnessed my esc run wide open if radio is turned off first...no lie.

LuckyDuc
07-28-2010, 03:03 PM
I have witnessed my esc run wide open if radio is turned off first...no lie.

So my incident is not isolated. Was it a CC ESC?

I tried to reproduce it just now, and it works as it should. It appears to be random in nature. Which is frightening.

detox
07-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Hydra 120

properchopper
07-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Maybe it is just mine. Do a test with yours and report back. But you are right. SCARY to say the least.

Two boats, both with LV 240's.

Tactic rx smoked[may have been wet]. Runaway boat, hit the bank.

Second boat, Futaba rx; antenna broke off. Same thing.

Hmmm......:popcorn2:

BakedMopar
07-28-2010, 03:08 PM
I've had my ul-1 esc do this a few times as well as my CC esc. Most of the time it doesn't but I've had a few WOT when the tx is shutoff. I tend to do for the same reasons as you even though it's not a good practice.

detox
07-28-2010, 03:15 PM
I have also seen my Traxxas E-Max and Rustler runaway if radio is cut off first. Traxxas recommends unplugging lipos before cutting off radio.

I do not have answer for Tony's problem. Crappy ESC maybe? Crappy radio? Interference?

detox
07-28-2010, 03:24 PM
My wide open esc incedents happened randemly not everytime.

LuckyDuc
07-28-2010, 05:15 PM
This is my first Hydra ESC and the first time I've experienced a fail safe failure during signal loss. I plan to write Castle about it. I hope they take heed and update the firmware. My Etti ESCs always power down when the signal is lost.

sailr
07-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Never had a problem with my CC and Tactic, however, ALWAYS unplug the battery and/or turn off the receiver battery BEFORE turning off the transmitter.

Just remember Transmitter is FIRST ON, LAST OFF.

LuckyDuc
07-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Never had a problem with my CC and Tactic, however, ALWAYS unplug the battery and/or turn off the receiver battery BEFORE turning off the transmitter.

Just remember Transmitter is FIRST ON, LAST OFF.

Your point is well taken.
What concerns me is that the ESC's fail safe is not kicking in upon signal loss... not only is it not working, but it goes from dead stop to WOT.

Loosing a signal can happen from time to time because of weak Tx batteries, Rx batteries, etc. It scares me to think that my boat could rocket uncontrollably at full speed towards shore and injure someone.

Aside from getting a firmware update from Castle, what other options are out there to prevent the ESC from going WOT when the signal drops?

tth
07-28-2010, 06:30 PM
I had a couple CC 120's do the same thing with a futaba FM system. As soon as you turn power off on the Tx then instantly the controller sends motor to full throttle. After I discovered this happened, I now unplug batteries before I turn off Tx. Then again I dont race but same problem here.

Gary
07-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Its so much easyer and safer to run a Hytec Synth reciever. Its programable so you can set it to automaticly have the servo turned straight and the throttle at shut off point. I have tested a boat at 50 mph and turned the transmitter off and boat just shuts down with no problem. Worth the $50.00 for that in my opinion but again thats just me. Could be a better system out there so dont go by me.

sailr
07-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Uh, that receiver isn't going to work with the TACTIC transmitter!

Gary
07-29-2010, 09:34 PM
My mistake, and i apoligize for any misinformation from post 26. I should have made it clear that if you where useing an FM setup , which he is clearly not, than the Synth would be a good idea when a FM setup is used because of the safty features built in.My bad.

Salty
08-17-2010, 11:57 PM
I have exactly the same issue with my Tactic system.
Only difference is it is with my Turnigy Aquastar 120.
Is there a solution?

Alexgar
08-18-2010, 12:12 AM
good to know ive had that problem on a fm futaba and just went to a hobbycity 2.4 for all but one of my boats but got tired of waiting and bought a tactic and its in my baby id hate to lose her due to signal loss, tommorrow ill test all boats in this senerio

tsenecal
08-18-2010, 01:11 AM
according to the tactic owners manual:

http://manuals.hobbico.com/tac/tacj0245-manual.pdf

there is a built in failsafe (bottom of page 4):

"Fail-safe: This radio system includes a “fail-safe” function, which will
automatically center (bring to neutral) all servos if the receiver loses signal
communications from the transmitter. When the receiver regains signal it will
automatically resume normal function. "

Alexgar
08-18-2010, 12:38 PM
i turned off both my tx tactic and t180, hobbyking 2.4 aquastar 120 and both did nothing

Salty
08-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Found a soloution for my Tactic Failsafe issue.
Posted here...http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=17141