PDA

View Full Version : Ready t oupgrade

VIKOS
07-23-2010, 02:49 PM
So I'm ready to upgrade motors,esc ,and to drive wires..what size is the fiego motor shafts..4mm? I know rcraceboat.com has the wires couplers and what not but what about the motor shafts. What size coupler do I get to fit 9xl/10xl motor shafts. also where can I pick up turnigy 120 esc and fiego motors from. Jeff stopped selling them or is out of stock.The sooner I get all this stuff the sooner the motors will go on and esc. Can't wait. oh iwill be running 5s on these motors and esc sothats a given. buying another 2 lipo sets one will be another 4s one will be 5s for racing the bigger boats. thanks again for all your alls info on where to locate this stuff. Excited to get everything on the boat.:buttrock: I'll be running 40mm 3 blade props by the way..this think is gona be a demon out of hell!!!! I've got about 1000bucks to spend on all the hardware.:bowdown:

Diesel6401
07-23-2010, 06:19 PM
So I'm ready to upgrade motors,esc ,and to drive wires..what size is the fiego motor shafts..4mm? I know rcraceboat.com has the wires couplers and what not but what about the motor shafts. What size coupler do I get to fit 9xl/10xl motor shafts. also where can I pick up turnigy 120 esc and fiego motors from. Jeff stopped selling them or is out of stock.The sooner I get all this stuff the sooner the motors will go on and esc. Can't wait. oh iwill be running 5s on these motors and esc sothats a given. buying another 2 lipo sets one will be another 4s one will be 5s for racing the bigger boats. thanks again for all your alls info on where to locate this stuff. Excited to get everything on the boat.:buttrock: I'll be running 40mm 3 blade props by the way..this think is gona be a demon out of hell!!!! I've got about 1000bucks to spend on all the hardware.:bowdown:

The Feigao from Steve http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=fei-380-xL&cat=116

New coupler http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-ocfhe1813

Prob should upgrade to some Octura shafts. Move to 3/16 shaft.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-oc130L-24c
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-oc130R-24c

The esc & lipos from Jan (or wait from HK users choice)
http://www.kintecracing.com/Electrical.html & http://www.kintecracing.com/Lipos.html

LarrysDrifter
07-23-2010, 07:26 PM

Motor shafts are 1/8".I got my Turnigy 120's from HobbyKing.And I think Kintecracing.com has them also.Dont know about stock status though.I also think these are 4s motors too.Unless your gonna do short speed runs on 5s.I have the 9XL's on 4s with 36mm props and running 52mph.Temps run between 100 and 126 for the motors and 100 to 115 for the speedos.Batteries around 100 or so.I also have the wire drives from Jeff.They are nice.Just have to find a way to keep water from coming in the hull.Take the battery tray out too so you can mess with COG.

VIKOS
07-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Cog? Thanks guys will order all this stuff. 52mph on 4s. Then these motors run better than stock on 4s I take it then. Will look at the sites and order. If motor shafts are 1/8 why do I need a wire shaft that's 3/16 shafts. Or are the wire drives are 3/16 to fit the 1/8 couplers.

VIKOS
07-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Not looking at flex shafts diesel want to go wire drive. Nor do I know how to make and solder them. Well the right way at least anyways. I hear the fiego 10am can take 5s but won't it be more torque than top speed. Want a 380 size motor that will handle 5s. I know Nemisis motors will but don't think they sell a 380 size. Only a 540. Either way gona go with the fiego water jackets also. Hope to get 60mph out of a 5s set up. If motors blow I'll just get the 10xl but going with the 9xl's first

Diesel6401
07-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Cog? Thanks guys will order all this stuff. 52mph on 4s. Then these motors run better than stock on 4s I take it then. Will look at the sites and order. If motor shafts are 1/8 why do I need a wire shaft that's 3/16 shafts. Or are the wire drives are 3/16 to fit the 1/8 couplers.

Motor shaft size and flex cable shaft size have nothing to do with each other. The 3/16 flex shaft is so it will fit 3/16 size props which gives you a lot more to choose from without having to use a prop sleeve. Only thing you need to worry about with motor shaft is making sure you get the right size coupler.

VIKOS
07-24-2010, 02:05 AM
doesn't the wire drivve have a shaft thats threaded at the end for props though.

VIKOS
07-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Motor shafts are 1/8".I got my Turnigy 120's from HobbyKing.And I think Kintecracing.com has them also.Dont know about stock status though.I also think these are 4s motors too.Unless your gonna do short speed runs on 5s.I have the 9XL's on 4s with 36mm props and running 52mph.Temps run between 100 and 126 for the motors and 100 to 115 for the speedos.Batteries around 100 or so.I also have the wire drives from Jeff.They are nice.Just have to find a way to keep water from coming in the hull.Take the battery tray out too so you can mess with COG.

Will the screw tight couplers from OSF work with the wire drives from jeff..trying to get away from flex shaft if its a better route..if not then I'll go with 3/16 flex shafts then like diesel had stated..also hobbyking has two 120A esc is the all blue or black and blue turnigy the better route..one is rates at 120A with 180A burst the other up to 340A burst..which I guess is the better esc. ok got the motor down,got the wire drives down..just got to see if its best to use jeffs couplers for wire drive or the one from here.

LarrysDrifter
07-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Will the screw tight couplers from OSF work with the wire drives from jeff..trying to get away from flex shaft if its a better route..if not then I'll go with 3/16 flex shafts then like diesel had stated..also hobbyking has two 120A esc is the all blue or black and blue turnigy the better route..one is rates at 120A with 180A burst the other up to 340A burst..which I guess is the better esc. ok got the motor down,got the wire drives down..just got to see if its best to use jeffs couplers for wire drive or the one from here.

Heres all you have to do-Buy the wire drives from Jeff for the EKOS.They have a 4mm shaft for the props.4mm does limit prop selection,but wires go right in with no problems.Buy 32 and 36mm Pro Machined Venom props from Kintec.They are the red ones.No balancing or sharpening needed.Also get the steel 4mm drive dogs from Jeff.Stockers are aluminum and not reliable.As far as motor to wire drive connection,you can get Octura collets or set screw couplers.Both will be 1/8"x.062.I run the collets as I dont care for set screws-they seem to back out even with locktite.Jeff and OSE carry the Octura collets.Deisel makes a very valid point on the 3/16 shaft for the props,but I think youll have to make some modifications to make the flexes work with the stock stingers.I dont know how to do it.Go to Hobbyhot.com-they have the speedos you need.I got the Hobbywing Seaking 120's and when you get them with the programming card,its cheaper.Same exact speedos and the ones from HobbyKing.I got mine fast from Hobbyhot too.120 is all you need for the 380 9XL's as well as the 10 XL's.If your just gonna get the 10's later you might as well get them now.Youll have excellent temps with the 36 props,9XL's and 120 esc's run on 4s.And long run times too.Be careful with that hull,its a bit fragile as well as the rudder mount.Need to upgrade that to a break-a-way style while your at it.

VIKOS
07-25-2010, 09:21 AM
yeah the hull is fragile have hair line cracks that I filled with a marine leak filler..smooth on the nwipe off what stays stays in the hair line cracks. Thanks man I'm likikng those octura couplers trying to get away from set screws yes they do like to back out from time to time. Gonna get the turnigy 120's and yes 9xl and 10xl motors one time..if the 9xl's go on 5s well then its on too 10xl but I think they will be fine on 5s

forescott
07-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Forget the flex shafts and keep the wire drives. Jeff has couplers and collets for the wire drives on his website. Couplers are too large for the stock motor mount hole. You will need to open the holes up with a dremmel to keep them from rubbing. Then use prop adapters for the cf-40's. You can get almost 60mph on the 9xl with 4s. No need for 5s.

forescott
07-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Here are a couple of pics of mine...

scubasteve95
07-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Here are a couple of pics of mine...

did you ever find anything to hold that motor shaft nut?jeffs couplers are the way
i went ......loc-t and go...no worries and no more 1-100th of a turn each time.
vikos get the wires 4mm and just sleeve them if you have to ,its easy to go up in size not so easy to go down.
got the 32 props and hit 47.8 just before i hit something in the
water and took off my rudder.....beat
still had alot of room to keep her wide open so gunna give her another go friday.
found a nice rudder at (aeromarinerc.com) part #1301
so tonite im going down to the shop and custom it up.

forescott
07-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Nope, still fighting the collets. Love the wire drives though!

scubasteve95
07-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Nope, still fighting the collets. Love the wire drives though!

:iagree: X2

well got her up to 49mph
and and and ,i blow a prop.........Poop
rudder worked great.
pics to follow.

forescott
07-30-2010, 03:11 PM
The prop came off?? What happened?

scubasteve95
07-30-2010, 10:09 PM
nope.....didn't loose it i sheered down to
about 18mm..don't know when i cliped
it cause the 2 runs i did went the full 15mins each....
i was so happy to almost hit 50 with her (49 & 48.2)didn't
notice the prop till the end of the day:confused::confused2::thumbup:

VIKOS
08-08-2010, 03:25 AM
was this metal props or CF...if so might not go with those and stick with metal. as for wire drives going with those and couplers with twin set screws..don;t like collets unwinding..bigger boats there great. Smaller ones have issues

scubasteve95
08-08-2010, 12:40 PM
was this metal props or CF...if so might not go with those and stick with metal. as for wire drives going with those and couplers with twin set screws..don;t like collets unwinding..bigger boats there great. Smaller ones have issues

dont know what i hit if anything????????
if they were metal mite have done more damage to the
boat not just the prop.gunna have to go with the
metal ones anyway,the props i want dont come in that size.
collets on this boat are a bear.....ask forescott:w00t:

forescott
08-08-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm learning the trick to loosen and tighten them now. You need to have hands the size of a 3 year old to get in the sponsons. :doh:

LarrysDrifter
08-08-2010, 11:10 PM
This is the easiest way I found to tighten or loosen the motor collets:
Remove the motor mount screw closest to the center of the hull.Get a 2.5mm L-shaped allen wrench to break it loose.Next use a 2.5mm ball end allen driver and back it out.Use small needle nose pliers to remove the screw if it dont fall out from the mount hole.
Next,use a 7/16 wrench on the motor side of the collet and a 3/8 on the flex/wire drive side.
Its really not that bad.Installation is reverse of removal.Also,use a piece of silicon water tubing to get the motor mount screw started.I use two 3mm lock washers under my motor mount bolts because flat washers hit the collet.(Bolts are too long).Hope this helps.Its worth a try.

forescott
08-09-2010, 01:14 AM
I am able to use the 7/16 wrench on an extreme angle without having to remove any motor screws. I just have to take a deep breath and remind myself to be patient!

VIKOS
08-11-2010, 12:33 PM
to much work just to lube the shaft having to undo the motor is hard already and I avoid it as much as possible..gona run with the couplers..I think everyone should try both and see how they like each one..not that expensive less tha n10 bucks for each,you'll maybe spend 20 bucks for a set of both...

forescott
08-11-2010, 12:48 PM
to much work just to lube the shaft having to undo the motor is hard already and I avoid it as much as possible..gona run with the couplers..I think everyone should try both and see how they like each one..not that expensive less tha n10 bucks for each,you'll maybe spend 20 bucks for a set of both...

I originally bought octura collets when I had ammo motors before the feigaos came out. I remember them being a little easier to use. I like the idea of how the collet squeezes the wire instead of just hitting a couple of small points on the drive shaft with set screws. Plus I don't have to use any lock-tite. But I agree that they both work much better than the stock ones!