PDA

View Full Version : Any sugestions on this damage?

JEDNJONES
07-22-2010, 01:12 PM
My son crashed into the dock. I am looking for another hull. A new replacement is $179. Any one think it could repaired?
Thanks,
Jerry

Diesel6401
07-22-2010, 03:32 PM
I've used a two part epoxy on sponson tip damage similar to that on my ul-1, but that was on the top on the tips. with your damage I would suggest cut some fiberglass up and mix it in the resin then apply, sand and repaint. Make sure to sand the area befor hand so the resin can get a good bond.

JEDNJONES
07-22-2010, 03:38 PM
OK, ill give it a try. Is there a special paint to use to get that high gloss?
Thanks

Diesel6401
07-22-2010, 04:06 PM
OK, ill give it a try. Is there a special paint to use to get that high gloss?
Thanks

Clear coat is what you need to get the shine. I went to napa since I live directly accross from one and grabed a fiberglass kit. http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=BK_7651280_0282514122

carcode123
07-23-2010, 08:13 PM
After you fixed the tip you can also cut some fuel tubing down the middle and CA glue it to the tip for some extra protection.

BHChieftain
07-23-2010, 11:10 PM
I have an extra hull for a fastech that I could part with. I bought it from Jesse last year. The rear end has been modified with a longer strut, and the rudder has been moved closer towards the center (so there are some extra holes in the transom that are filled with silicon). If you are interested, send me a PM and I"ll send over some pics,

Chief

JEDNJONES
07-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Thats a good idea carcode if I plan on letting my 4 year old operate this boat. He actually does real good with it. He was laughing so hard he hit the dock after jumping a wave. Im at work (Italy) until tuesday, I will pick up the stuff that diesel reccomends above and do my best to make it presentable. I would like another hull or extra parts boat too. I also read your painting and sanding tecnique in another thread Chief. That will help as I have no experience painting boats.
Jerry

Arctic Fire
07-26-2010, 06:33 AM
That should just buff right out...

JEDNJONES
07-29-2010, 11:38 AM
I picked up a gelcoat repair kit from a marine store and it turned out great!
Thanks for the suggestions. Now ill have two boats, gues ill be looking for a good ESC and motor combo for the new hull....anybody?
Jerry

BHChieftain
08-23-2010, 11:32 PM
From everything I've read, I really don't think you can beat the stock motor on this hull-- I think it is around 1500KV and you could even run it up to 6S... (would need a beefier ESC for it to go that high)... althought I think that would be too fast for this hull anyway.

You can order these motors on OSE.

(I have an extra one but I need to put new bearings in it as it spent some time underwater-- until I know it will run smooth I don't plan to sell it, but if you are interested I'll get around to replacing the bearings and testing... I also have the stock ESC, but I'm thinking about using it in another boat and will know in a few weeks if it is gonna work out in the application I'm planning or if I'll sell it... )

Chief

JEDNJONES
09-18-2010, 06:48 AM
Chief,
I ended up finding a good motor on the swap shop. Thanks anyway. My girlfriend has been running the fastech ever since I aquired the Fountain KOS P1. Its quite a bit faster but, not as stable as the Fastech. The Fastech is such a fantastic boat! I sure am glad it was my first one...now I am totally addicted to FE!
Jerry