PDA

View Full Version : H&M Maritimo

Mich. Maniac
10-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Here goes again. heading into the cold Michigan Fall/Winter so I am heading down to the basement to start a new build. I have a new child coming in the next couple weeks so this will be a slow yet very detailed build. I received the hull a couple months ago and just started this evening on mounting the struts. I have all parts except motors at this point. Each post I will show pics of progress.

Mich. Maniac
10-21-2007, 11:56 AM
I have mounted the 2 sv struts that have been modified with lead bushings. They seem very smooth and couldnt beat the price. I used the masking tape to mark holes and they came out just as i wanted. Next to come is the rudder system.

Mich. Maniac
10-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Getting a chunk of spare time today I modified dual rudder system, instead of bending to shape i cut just what i needed and still need a little machining to do on them but they work perfect. I am also going to trim about 3/4-1" off rudders. Holes are in boat and as you can see with crearance. Im only mounting them once after paint.

SJFE
10-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Looks like you have taken about half the weight off them. Nice work dude. You are going to have your work cut out for you this spring. Wait until I post the Jolly videos I took today :P.

AtlanticChallenger
10-21-2007, 05:35 PM
I have always wondered why RC rudders are squared off at the back ends. Would it not help if they had a sharp exit as well as entry into the water?

eboat
10-21-2007, 05:56 PM
I asked this question of one our club members about the square back on the rudder and he said when it was square and the water was going past the back edge it would suck air down in the space and make it cut through the water better

G Doggett
10-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Might be a silly question, but why are you going to the trouble of twin rudders ?
The real boat has one mounted central on the provided rear extension where it is clear of any prop wash.
Graham.

whiplash
10-22-2007, 03:17 AM
I have always wondered why RC rudders are squared off at the back ends. Would it not help if they had a sharp exit as well as entry into the water?

I've wanted to try with two of the same rudders, and making one with sharp exit,
to see which one has the most drag. I think the wedge allows the water to come straight off the end of the rudder, while a sharp edge may pull the water from both ends together causing a vacumm efect. :huh: I Dont Know what Im saying. lol

Mich. Maniac
10-22-2007, 09:58 AM
It wasnt alot of trouble to go with dual's at this point. I am looking for handling all the way. If need be I can mount just one in central location and well, it looks cool as hell in my own opinion.

Mich. Maniac
10-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Might be a silly question, but why are you going to the trouble of twin rudders ?
The real boat has one mounted central on the provided rear extension where it is clear of any prop wash.
Graham.

After looking at some diff. pics. I thought it had twin steerable I/O type. Just thought rudder was more of a turn fin (stationary). Looks like I have 4 output cooling holes. 2for esc's 2 for motors. :o Or something like that. still looked cool

shockerman80
10-22-2007, 04:07 PM
On a twin cat you want the stingers as close to the tunnel and as far down as possible. They will cavatate like crazy if you dont get them down. ( especially at high speed.

Mich. Maniac
10-22-2007, 05:22 PM
good point but if you look at the inside hull pics its as close as possible using back plates. I know speedmaster stingers would have been larger since i used them before and with the weight of twin motors . well we'll see.

Eyekandyboats
10-24-2007, 03:43 PM
i like it dude.
thanks

Flying Scotsman
10-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Mich, was the hull up to snuff as far as quality of gel coat etc.

Mich. Maniac
10-26-2007, 05:33 PM
The hull was indeed rough and needs finished but its fun to do. I put all the holes in first for hardware since I dont have patience once its painted. will post pics of that soon.

Flying Scotsman
10-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Mich, how are the steps. are they uneven, as far as high/ low points. Mine were

Mich. Maniac
11-02-2007, 10:30 PM

H&MWill
11-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Congrats man she is adorable! My wife and I have a 19 month old girl named Josephine and another child on the way due in June! That is one kick a** lookin boat. Keep up the good work. Will

Mich. Maniac
11-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Ok I need to order my motors and have narrowed it down but need suggestions. Either 2 Ammo 36-50-2300's or 2 feigao 8XL's. I want to run just 14.8 Lipo to each, stats are a little lower on ammo in amperage and wattage though. What do you guys think?

G Doggett
11-10-2007, 11:11 PM
My twin Jolly is set up with 8XLs on 12 cell each,and the power is scary.
It leaps out of the water on full acceleration.
If thats the sort of performance you want go with the Feigaos.
Graham.

andym
11-11-2007, 12:56 AM
The 8xl will have alot more torque than the ammo and would realy get this hull up and flying without to much stress

robby76
11-26-2007, 08:28 PM
how's little miss Brianna? such a beautiful child :smile:

SJFE
11-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Rob, Mike is having internet issues & hasent been on line for the last week or so. Hope he gets back on soon :).

Mich. Maniac
11-29-2007, 08:03 AM
She Is doing great. Growing like a weed!!!! between her and the boy im a little overwhelmed and also with christmas and birthdays its been a lttle hard to get any build time. I have everything for the H&M and will prolly be back to the forums and such shortly. Hope the sv arrrived ok Tom. sorry bout the wait you endured. Yall have a great one and ill see ya soon!

NTM
12-14-2007, 12:06 AM
I'm doing the same project !

Using SV modded sv struts, a pair of neu 1912-1y motors, two hacker 77's, and two flightpower 10s 25c 3700mah packs.
The composite props will just be used for testing purposes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/NTM95/IMG_0886.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/NTM95/IMG_0890.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/NTM95/IMG_0887.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/NTM95/IMG_0889.jpg

Look forward to some updates on your boat.

Regards,
Nathan

Eyekandyboats
12-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Now thats nice!.
good job

Mich. Maniac
12-14-2007, 06:56 PM
im glad to seee the props stick out a little further than i thought they would. i will have the rest to finish mine next weekend and may get to test. i will let you know how my setup works. i cant share vids but will gps.

Mich. Maniac
12-14-2007, 07:02 PM
EDIT... meant nothing personall. didnt come out correct.

txboatpilot
12-15-2007, 09:41 PM
M.Maniac, what motors did you get for this build?? I really like the lines of this hull!

Mich. Maniac
12-15-2007, 09:51 PM
im thought and thought kb458XL's?? NO. Feigai 7XL's?? NO. Am using Feigao 8XL's for this one. starting with 48mm fibre props on 4S LIPO each

Mich. Maniac
12-15-2007, 09:52 PM
edit I mean 51mm props,

txboatpilot
12-15-2007, 09:54 PM
I think it will be great! What is the width of this hull? I really like your daul rudder set-up! What esc's?

txboatpilot
12-15-2007, 10:00 PM
I have a H&M Drifter L 34" w/ KB45 8XL, OEMRC 100HV esc, running on 3S2P in series, so 6S1P 5000mAh 30C lipos... I have also ran it on on 4S2P 3700mAh 25C lipos in parallel w/ larger prop.. Lots of fun!!

Mich. Maniac
12-15-2007, 10:11 PM
WOW! i have always liked that hull or even a smaller version. The width is around 11" on the maritimo I believe. Its just the right size that is should handle great and have plenty of lift for high speed straights. I have taken about 1" off length of rudders and am using 2 Hex 120A H2O cooled esc's. should work out pretty well.. I hope. This build is prolly the easiest Ive done but just have little time and little money till now to finish. Final assembly and pics next weekend though.

txboatpilot
12-15-2007, 11:04 PM
You are right on, when it comes to lift in the straights!!:w00t: This size of H&M hullls IMO, perform very well for a fast sport set-up!:thumbup: Good Luck!!

Mich. Maniac
12-29-2007, 05:10 PM
I am going to bend my tubes and wait to glue them in so I will leave them a little long but looking at motor mounts i think everything will line up perfect with these mounts I got from one SJFE. Thank you sir! My question for you guys is looking at the side view I need a very slight bend in tubes and wonder if its worth annealing them? what do you guys think?

Mich. Maniac
02-27-2008, 07:39 PM
This has been a very easy build so far, and somewhat a clean build. I am waiting for the rudder to have the machining done so I can line up servo but I am going with a single rudder instead of duals. Esc's are to be here next week and motors to be ordered in 2 more weeks. I had to do some mods to motor mounts cause apparently I put them in backwards.:confused2: I will have to touch up the red paint and am gonna use some black paint for the stuff tube supports. My sv struts have been powder coated red and as well will the rudder. Boat will be painted as American flag after a couple test runs. I used 4 water outlets to cover holes I drilled for dual rudders, which I think they look pretty kewl. A few finishing touches and maybe more than 20 minutes a week of build time and It will be ready for spring. if it ever comes!:tongue_smilie: heres a few pics of where it stands

SJFE
02-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Looking good man. What motors do you have comming? Where did you get the powder coating done?

Mich. Maniac
02-27-2008, 07:51 PM
powder coat was done by the Whirlpool corp. "THANKS POPS!" I am hoping steven will have 8xl's in stock and that is what I have decided on. I was gonna go with nemesis just cause they are blue but then thought why. they will be covered by jacket anyway. Theme of USA flag can just stay to the outside of hull.

SJFE
02-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Kewl man. Again lookin good. Cant wait to see her boogie.

Mich. Maniac
03-15-2008, 09:50 PM
well, I have the rudder back from machining and it did get coated with the powder coat. Unfortunately the coating was too thick in spots so I had to sand some off. This rudder is actually TOP quality and even doing that it made it bind so I took all the coating off so Im back to a blue rudder.
If you look at the boat pics I need a long rudder to servo rod, I would like a little adjusment for obvious reasons. Also It needs to be strong due to high speeds. Any suggestions?

Mich. Maniac
03-20-2008, 10:19 PM
well I have the servo mount epoxied in and the hardware is all done. I also got a couple cool water pickups that go through the hull and they seem to be a pretty good design. It took some big ones to put holes in the bottom of this boat though. They turned out perfect the black stuff is just my epoxy that is sandable so finishing isnt a prob.

Mich. Maniac
05-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Wow, its been a while but the boat is complete and I have stripped it down again and painted. I had someone really help me out with some KILLA decals for it. I think it looks well... It couldnt look any better in my opinion. I have a problem with not painting my hatch as the same time I paint my hulls so pretty soon I will have to do them but the hull came out flawless and I got a good amount of product on it. Here are many pics. it looks 10 fold better in person.

Mich. Maniac
05-15-2008, 07:32 PM
2 Mo

Eyekandyboats
05-15-2008, 07:35 PM
that looks fabulous!.
nice job.
did you spray paint those Sv drives?

Mich. Maniac
05-15-2008, 07:43 PM
that looks fabulous!.
nice job.
did you spray paint those Sv drives?

No, they were coated by the good gents down at whirlypool. They made sure and so did I, that they didnt get any inside the strut and not inside the mount brackets.

G Doggett
05-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Looking good !!!!!
It should fly with 2 8XLs. They were way too much for my Jolly.
Big cats with twin drives look so cool.
Graham :rockon2:

SJFE
05-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Looking good man!!

Mich. Maniac
07-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Hate to drag this out but starting at the beginning I knew this one would take a long time to build because of timing and pricing. Standby for some photos of her in the water and perhaps my buddies I run with could video for me. I cannot put in words how proud I am of this build pertaining to detail and keeping things clean. I will definately build another boat this coming winter but it will only be a single.

Avanti
07-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Amazing boat MM you have every right to be proud

Mich. Maniac
07-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Ok so this is dragging on. :sorry: I have completely finished the build and just need one hydra for this and one for a blackjack im building. I have even custom made some endbell supports for the motors incase of tragidy! I also wanted to show my cooling lines as I have through hull inlets from MHZ "T'ed" one to esc, one to motor with each having its own exit through transom. I will get the other esc in and shoot some vid and post with the other guys I run with. I am happy with everything and most importantly if I need to sell it I could do so with confidence that nothing has been hacked or jimmy-rigged! Oh, and the last pic is why it has taken soo long but well worth it! Thanks for all the help and advise with this build. I have learned ALOT, and learned not to build another twin.... for a VERY long time. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$

SJFE
07-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Mike if you need some black vinyl for your windos I have some left over from Tim. I'll send it out to ya when I get unpacked.

Mich. Maniac
07-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Mike if you need some black vinyl for your windos I have some left over from Tim. I'll send it out to ya when I get unpacked.

I could sure use some man! I have been contemplating painting them but I REALLY like the vinyl now that you have turned me on to it. I will get with ya in a while. THANKS!

Oh, and thanks again for all the swapping to get me to this point with the hardware. Also thanks for pointing this hull out when I asked what to build that not many have!:w00t:

johnnyoverkill
07-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Mike,

PM me if you are still looking for hardware on the BJ. I have a Fuller's set that I got from John (m4a1usr) You are welcome to it.

John

johnnyoverkill
07-18-2008, 10:49 PM
...and by the way...

The MO looks sweeeeeet!

bonewar
07-26-2008, 07:22 PM
hi Mich , mate the boat looks awesome thanks for sharing the photos of your set up with us , you have help me figure out where to run my water lines in my boat. I'll have some more decals for you very soon , they will be in eps file format, perfect for your sticker guy to make them. anyway lets see a pic of that timo screaming across the water. cheers mate rick:rockon2:

ETOWNE
07-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Mich. It was great to see that boat run yesterday. To bad we don't hvae video. Lot's of excitement. It made my gps go the highest it's ever been, besides riding in the car. Awesome boat.

Mich. Maniac
07-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks for being soooo kind. Seriously. As I stated to Kenny, At least im entertaining someone. I think she's gonna be ok.

ETOWNE
07-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks for being soooo kind. Seriously. As I stated to Kenny, At least im entertaining someone. I think she's gonna be ok.

moved to another thread.