PDA

View Full Version : New Phil Thomas Stealth Sport Hydro

marko500
07-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Has anyone built or is anyone building one of the new Phil Thomas Stealth Sport 20 Hydros? I was wondering if anyone has any tips on where to place all the components (motor, esc, batteries, servo) to get the cog correct. I plan to use a Hacker 8XL, Seaking 120, and 4S1P (2 5800 2s Flightpower packs). The plans say cog should be 15-16 inches from transom. I can get it to balance at 15 inches with everything as far forward as possible but can't get to 16 inches. Just looking for some ideas. Thanks.

Mark

detox
07-22-2010, 05:11 PM
I would leave it at 15" It would be nice if you could post pictures.

Meniscus
07-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Pictures of the underside would be great! :thumbup1:

tth
07-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Pictures of the underside would be great! :thumbup1:

You naughty boy!!!LOL

detox
07-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Here's link for pictures
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=14432&highlight=phil+thomas

LuckyDuc
07-22-2010, 09:04 PM
It looks like a winner. I've heard that the bottom is very similar to a whiplash.

marko500
07-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks detox. I was waiting for my sons to remember where they left my camera. With two teenage sons in the house if it isn't locked up or bolted down then who knows where to even start looking for it! But yes that's the hull. I think I've got it figured out but am open to ideas and suggestions. Seems everyone is buying the Insane hydro and forgot about these hulls.

marko500
07-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Yeah it does look similar to the Whiplash. Two of the guys I run with have Whiplashs and if it runs anything like thiers I will be very happy.

Rumdog
07-22-2010, 09:15 PM
It's def. better looking than the Insane! Hopefully it handles as well. How is the glass quality? Lots of pinholes?

LuckyDuc
07-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Yeah it does look similar to the Whiplash. Two of the guys I run with have Whiplashs and if it runs anything like thiers I will be very happy.

I've seen video of it running with a nitro engine on International Waters. It is very fast and stable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iChmZp8V_c&feature=player_embedded

I'm sure that it will compete just fine with the insane hydro 30" FE. If it was a beauty contest it would definitely win:tongue_smilie: :hide:

marko500
07-22-2010, 09:43 PM
I was prepared to fight the pinhole battle but my hull only had a few. I had a couple on the bottom edge and one larger one under the web at the rear of the sponson where it connects to the main hull and that was it. The quality of the hull was very good. I was extremely happy it needed very little work.

LuckyDuc
07-22-2010, 09:53 PM
I was prepared to fight the pinhole battle but my hull only had a few. I had a couple on the bottom edge and one larger one under the web at the rear of the sponson where it connects to the main hull and that was it. The quality of the hull was very good. I was extremely happy it needed very little work.

Cool! Maybe Phil is vacuum bagging now.

P.S. If there are anymore pinholes to fill... they will show up after the first coat of primer. Trust me glare:

I have had reasonable results with BVM pinhole filler http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/Catalog/Leadpages/building_materials.htm

marko500
07-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Already put on the first coat of primer and all I found was that I needed a little more work along the seams.

LuckyDuc
07-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Post some pics as you go.

Jeepers
07-22-2010, 11:12 PM
I like the new Phil Thomas hull, I bet it runs very well, and it looks cool!

I really like his SS21 hull I use in P spec sport hydro its FAST!

Raydee
07-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Phil makes some fantastic hulls, I am saving mine for a winter build but yes it does look more like a Whip then his old 21's did and I hear they run more like a Whip too!

marko500
08-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Well it's been awhile but it's almost finished. Clear coat goes on tommorrow and reassembly should happen this weekend. Hopefully she gets to run next week.

Rumdog
08-19-2010, 09:08 PM
I dig the paint! Just got my hull yesterday, but I've been workin on it like a mofo! Got everything mounted up, and tore back down to smooth her out for paint. Still thinking colors and scheme. You gonna paint a windshield on yours?

marko500
08-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Definitely will get a windshield and probably a couple big ole number 3's on the sponsons. My poor brother-in-law has been working his butt off on this thing for 2 weeks now. He's a perfectionist and sometimes it drives me crazy. I'm afraid to bring it home and run it, if I ever scratch it he'll be pissed. I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to convince him it's a boat and is meant to be used and enjoyed. LOL. Hey Rumdog how are the pinholes on your hull? As I said the hull on mine was really good but once we got working on it we found some more on the hatch.

Mark

Rumdog
08-19-2010, 09:24 PM
My hatch has zero holes. I found one on the inside of the sponson in front, at the seam. And about three teeny ones on another seam. I'll prob show better once It's primed, but not bad at all!

marko500
08-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Yeah that's what I was saying before. Everybody had me all worried talking about the pinholes and then when the hull got here I was very suprised and happy.

Mark

Brushless55
08-19-2010, 09:37 PM
I like the looks of these hulls :tongue_smilie:

detox
08-19-2010, 10:20 PM
#3 Wrangler colors.

v-spec
08-20-2010, 12:00 AM
I dig the paint! Just got my hull yesterday, but I've been workin on it like a mofo! Got everything mounted up, and tore back down to smooth her out for paint. Still thinking colors and scheme. You gonna paint a windshield on yours?

What the hell you got the hull already but haven't posted any pics of anything??

v-spec
08-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Well it's been awhile but it's almost finished. Clear coat goes on tommorrow and reassembly should happen this weekend. Hopefully she gets to run next week.

That looks great! Really anxious to see it finished and I sure hope you can make a video! What paint did you guys use and what clear are you planning?

bozo586
08-24-2011, 12:31 AM
very nice looking! my question is what kind of paint did you use?:banana:

marko500
08-24-2011, 01:07 AM
We used a base coat clear coat automotive paint. If you need the brand name I think I still have the cans in the shop. I can look in the morning and let you know.

Mark

bozo586
08-24-2011, 01:21 AM
We used a base coat clear coat automotive paint. If you need the brand name I think I still have the cans in the shop. I can look in the morning and let you know.

Mark thank you i would really like to know the brand! krylon is giving me fits.

marko500
08-24-2011, 01:38 AM
I gave up on Krylon too. I recently painted a boat with Duplicolor Auto lacquer touch up spray cans. Came out great, first thing I've ever painted with no drips or runs.

bozo586
08-24-2011, 01:45 AM
I gave up on Krylon too. I recently painted a boat with Duplicolor Auto lacquer touch up spray cans. Came out great, first thing I've ever painted with no drips or runs. that's great,no runs or drips,no matter what i tried with krylon they came with the paint! i will try duplicolor this time,and start sanding my rigger all over again.

marko500
08-24-2011, 02:04 AM
I followed the directions on the can exactly. If your not sure about something Duplicolor has a web forum where you can ask questions. With the lacquer there is no recoat time limits. I used the prep spray, primer/adhesion promoter, color coat, clear coat. I'll post the brand of paint I used on the hydro in the morning anyways.

Mark