PDA

View Full Version : New Radio

Flying Scotsman
07-19-2010, 06:53 PM
I am thinking of buying a new pistol radio 2.4ghz and cost is not an issue, just the best technology for boats, ease of programming and the tactile feel of the radio. I stiil use my trusty Hitec FM radio and the UL-1... 2.4ghz supplied radio which is OK but cheap and cheerfull..no memory...turn pots etc.
I would love to hear from lads in RC boat clubs and others as to what they would recommend and why?

Thanks,

Douggie

Rumdog
07-19-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm no racer Douggie, but this is what I've been using lately: http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futk1200.html Inexpensive, super easy to use, and fully programmable. The radio has a great feel to it as well.

BHChieftain
07-19-2010, 09:19 PM
I like the spektrum dx3s as it has model memory, is easy to program, and works with spektrum's marine receivers (mr3000- water resistant and long dual antennas). But they are not cheap...

Chief

ozzie-crawl
07-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I like the spektrum dx3s as it has model memory, is easy to program, and works with spektrum's marine receivers (mr3000- water resistant and long dual antennas). But they are not cheap...

Chief

:iagree:
i have had mine for awhile now,never had a single glitch
the marine rx is tiny but has dual throttle/steering out puts

crabstick
07-19-2010, 10:27 PM
2pl looks good!

Jeepers
07-19-2010, 10:35 PM
I have been using a Spektrum DX3R with the SR 3100 receiver no problems. I have also been using my DX3S with the MR3000 no problems or glitches either.

tharmer
07-20-2010, 12:27 AM
Last two seasons I used a Spektrum DX3S with perfect results. Last month I bought another Spekctrum, the DX3R. Lots of the racing guize are using this TX.
-t

Simon.O.
07-20-2010, 06:18 AM
I know you said cost is not the issue, that would be nice , I went the other way.

I was fed up with swapping expensive rx's in and out of hulls with my trusty Hitec FM that Douggie actually talked me into years ago.
I love the dual conversion FM setup and the handset is very comfortable and easy to use. The adjustable epa thumbwheel was real nice.
Anyway enough of the FM bit, I decided it was time to go with 2.4.

I dived in and got a dodgy cheapo 2.4 pistol set from HK for $20 inc the first rx and bought 4 more rx's to trial
It is a bit less ergonomic than the Hitec and the adjustments are not as accessable, but it is a dang fine set for what I need and I have already run some of my bigger and faster hulls on it with no isssue at all.

I even got one rx wet (dont ask) and with a bit of sun for the morning it was fine.

It is not expensive
It is not pretty
It is not the best

It is however a great radio and I love mine. :beerchug:

andym
07-20-2010, 06:22 AM
I have both the DX3 and a Fasst system. For me I love my Futaba Fasst

ozzie-crawl
07-20-2010, 06:24 AM
its for douggie,does futaba make a slooow :tape:

Darin Jordan
07-20-2010, 06:59 AM
Guys... Just to clarify, the DX3R is NOT currently compatible with the MR-series Spektrum RXs... only the DX3S. The DX3S and the MR3000 or MR200 RXs are an excellent marine package, with the added benifit of having essentially waterproof RXs (they are listed as "water resistant", but the MR3000 is potted entirely in epoxy, and the MR200 is conformal coated.)

nomobux
07-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Guys... Just to clarify, the DX3R is NOT currently compatible with the MR-series Spektrum RXs... only the DX3S. The DX3S and the MR3000 or MR200 RXs are an excellent marine package, with the added benifit of having essentially waterproof RXs (they are listed as "water resistant", but the MR3000 is potted entirely in epoxy, and the MR200 is conformal coated.)

The part that gets me is the non compatibility and I heard a price of $50 or so plus substantial down time to upgrade the 3R. On top of that .... for some reason the 3S is not convertible to a Lefty config. Damned if ya do and damned if ya don't. I love my 3R. Spektrum needs to do the total package.

I'm tired of being treated like a 2nd class citizen ! I might start a class action :spy:

Darin Jordan
07-20-2010, 09:50 AM
The part that gets me is the non compatibility and I heard a price of $50 or so plus substantial down time to upgrade the 3R.

The 3R is currently NOT compatible with the MR series, and can't be upgraded to be. Only the 3S. If you have a 3S without the Marine sticker on it, then it's $50.00 to upgrade. Not sure of the downtime.

That is the situation right now... Things could change for the better, you just never know... :spy:

T.S.Davis
07-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Love my Spektrum. I'm down to one radio and 8 recievers. So far so good.

Flying Scotsman
07-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Terry, what model and receivers, as I will need 10. Thanks to all that have replied.

Douggie

Darin Jordan
07-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Terry, what model and receivers, as I will need 10. Thanks to all that have replied.

Douggie

Doug,

I would recommend the DX3S with MR200 RXs. The MR200's are 2-channel, and are easier on the wallet than the MR3000, which is 3-channel, with dual outputs for each channel. It's more than what the average boater needs.

The DX2S is similiar, but only has 5-model memory.

If you have the chance to go check one out before you buy, take it... I think you'll like how light it is (only used 4-AAs, not 8), and you can also get a grip kit for it to customize the size of the grip. There are fancy aluminum steering wheels available in multiple colors, and I even recently saw a graphics kit for the TX, if you are so inclined.

Here you go:

DX3S: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM3140

MR200: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMMR200

nomobux
07-20-2010, 04:01 PM
The 3R is currently NOT compatible with the MR series, and can't be upgraded to be. Only the 3S. If you have a 3S without the Marine sticker on it, then it's $50.00 to upgrade. Not sure of the downtime.

That is the situation right now... Things could change for the better, you just never know... :spy:

Haven't looked, maybe you know offhand. Do they make a module / marine rx for my lefty M8 ??

Darin Jordan
07-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Haven't looked, maybe you know offhand. Do they make a module / marine rx for my lefty M8 ??

They do make an M8/M11 module, but I'm checking right now to see if it's MR compatible... I'll get back to you when I find out. I don't THINK it is, but I'm not sure at the moment.

Perhaps another thing, if it's not, I can suggest to them to make happen.

T.S.Davis
07-20-2010, 04:18 PM
I have the DX3S and MR3000 rx's.

The new MR200's would have saved me some dough. The MR3000 is kind of overkill. I do like the fact that they are completely potted though. They're more like a receiver cube. One of our club members was just telling me about the 200's on Sunday. I haven't seen one yet. Conformal coated should be okay. Sort of like the old RC-hydro ESC's. Just be careful with Velcro. Put it on and leave it there. You don't want to crack that barrier.

nomobux
07-20-2010, 04:21 PM
They do make an M8/M11 module, but I'm checking right now to see if it's MR compatible... I'll get back to you when I find out. I don't THINK it is, but I'm not sure at the moment.

Perhaps another thing, if it's not, I can suggest to them to make happen.

Thanx ... I'd rather end up with the lefty R3 with marine, but the M8 would do me

Darin Jordan
07-20-2010, 04:22 PM
One of our club members was just telling me about the 200's on Sunday. I haven't seen one yet. Conformal coated should be okay. Sort of like the old RC-hydro ESC's. Just be careful with Velcro. Put it on and leave it there. You don't want to crack that barrier.

Terry... introducting the MR200.... no need to worry about the Velcro... it's in a case... ;)

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/SPM/250/SPMMR200-250.jpg

Darin Jordan
07-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanx ... I'd rather end up with the lefty R3 with marine, but the M8 would do me

The answer was NO... the module for the M8 is not marine compatible. Not sure on future plans for it. Sorry...

nomobux
07-20-2010, 05:17 PM
The answer was NO... the module for the M8 is not marine compatible. Not sure on future plans for it. Sorry...

Thank you for trying

Flying Scotsman
07-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Okay, I think my mind is made up. Darin on the new MR200 how long are the antenna and how should they be orientated....1 flat and 1 vertical I presume....also can you purchase the DX3S with no receivers. Thanks for the info Terry

Douggie

Darin Jordan
07-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Okay, I think my mind is made up. Darin on the new MR200 how long are the antenna and how should they be orientated....1 flat and 1 vertical I presume....also can you purchase the DX3S with no receivers.

Douggie

Doug,

I think you automatically get an SR3100 RX with it. We've talked to them about their packaging, but that's how it currently comes. Actually a great RX that I've used in several boats without issue.

I run the loger antenna up inside a standard antenna tube, and then just coil the other antenna up in the radio box or inside the hull. If you can run it perpendicular to the main antenna, all the better, but I've never had an issue either way.

I think the antenna is about 11" long, but I'd have to measure to verify. The actual "antenna" is really only the last 32mm (silver part at the end), the rest is just to get it up and out of the hull.

If you want to "bling" it a little, I can get you the links for an aluminum steering wheel and also the decal packages that are available.

Flying Scotsman
07-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Steven, time to get some MR200 receivers in stock :smile:

Douggie

simo71
07-20-2010, 06:23 PM
So with the DX3s is there any reason why the out of the box rx's will not work?

egneg
07-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Did you bind them?

simo71
07-20-2010, 06:42 PM
NO no, I am asking if they will be ok to run in a boat as I don't want to fork out on other rx's straight up.

T.S.Davis
07-20-2010, 06:45 PM
We have a really great local hobby store that will swap the factory RX out for a marine. He's probably not supposed to but he moves so much product that it doesn't hurt him and he gets a little love from us boat turds.

Darin, the 200 is fine looking product. I ripped the coating off of one the prototypes I sponged off Dave. It was conformal coated. Didn't have the case then. Got wet. Wrecked it.

Flying Scotsman
07-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Darin, it would be great if that receiver was offered in a marine version...real time telemetry...brilliant

Douggie

simo71
07-20-2010, 09:17 PM
We have a really great local hobby store that will swap the factory RX out for a marine. He's probably not supposed to but he moves so much product that it doesn't hurt him and he gets a little love from us boat turds.

Darin, the 200 is fine looking product. I ripped the coating off of one the prototypes I sponged off Dave. It was conformal coated. Didn't have the case then. Got wet. Wrecked it.

I don't have that option here in OZ.

D. Newland
07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
This just happened to me this past weekend. I misplaced an MR3000 in my shop...looked everywhere. Yesterday my wife comes walking up to me and says, "what is this?"

Turns out it fell into my dirty towel pile in my shop. My wife, who has never done this before, went out to the garage and picked up my dirty towel pile and did a load of laundry. She found the MR3000 after it went through the washer.

It still works, but I may need to replace the long antenna as the top portion of the insulation looks cracked.

The weekend prior, I blew off a cooling line inside of my my P rigger. The tub was filled with water and the MR3000 was submerged. The boat came back to shore without a hitch.

Darin Jordan
07-21-2010, 12:00 PM
It still works, but I may need to replace the long antenna as the top portion of the insulation looks cracked.

Good Stuff, David! :thumbup1:

If it's just the "silver" portion at the top of the antenna, I believe that, if this portion gets broken or cut off, you can just strip the gray part down to expose 31mm of the silver again and be back in action. (Might have been 32mm... Maybe Andy can confirm).

That last portion (silver part) is the actual antenna part. The rest is just length to get it up out of the hull.

AndyKunz
07-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Exposed part is 30-31mm. Just remove the outer shield/insulation (gray). Remove more (35mm or so) and then trim it to length.

Andy

D. Newland
07-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Good tip!

I'm glad I got my WTF moments out of my system before the Nat's!

Flying Scotsman
07-22-2010, 01:58 AM
Thanks guys DX3S purchased...Sorry Steven I got a better price up in the frozen north but I put a watch for the MR200 receivers on your site and will purchase when you have stock.

Douggie

Flying Scotsman
07-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Received my new DX3S today...impressed.....good manual....and Steven thanks for shipping some MR200rx and other goodies within 12 hours of receiving an order..you are the man. Darin, a telemetry marine receiver with a 400 foot range would be awesome. I will corrosion X the telemetry supplied Rx and give that a go also or will that chemical eat the board?

Douggie

egneg
07-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Douggie I have been thinking about getting one myself. Keep us informed of how things go.

Flying Scotsman
07-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Chuck, the only negative I see so far without it being powered up is a very light trigger pressure response to off neutral position.

Douggie

AndyKunz
07-27-2010, 09:07 AM
You don't like hair triggers? I'm the exact opposite. When I touch the trigger I want it to start, and continue changing right up until I run out of pull on the trigger.

CorrosionX is hard on the insulation of the wires. Try to keep the wires shielded when spraying it. My choice is still 3M DP270 epoxy.

Andy

Flying Scotsman
07-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Andy, as you get older a hair trigger is not a good thing! "woops dear I did not mean to shoot you" :smile:
I like a linear and resistive response to my feeble finger movements and once I have received my MR200 Rx from OSE and installed one in my new hydro, I will give some feedback.

Douggie

AndyKunz
07-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Guess I have a ways to go - I'm only 46.

Andy