PDA

View Full Version : shockwave 26 is this normal...I don't think so.....

SweetZ28
07-14-2010, 04:08 PM
see the space in the dog drice i think they left to wide of a gap?
anyone with these boats is this how they come as mine is new never run i just think they installed the dog unit on wrong?
THANKS

Doby
07-14-2010, 04:32 PM
I would say thats the gap left to account for the flex cable shrinkage when the boats running. I wouldn't worry.

GeoVW72
07-14-2010, 04:46 PM
it is not a flex cable, shaft drive.
I has not been installed wrong, just slightly loose.
if you want to close that gap all you have to do is loosen the set screw on the universal, close the gap, and re tighten. leave some play though, so the drive system doesn't bind.

NativePaul
07-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Thats what I thought till I saw the universal joint, you cant see what's on the other side of it but i would guess a UJ on the end of a flex would whip like crazy and its a solid shaft, if that is the case the likelyhood is they leave the gap in case the UJ isn't exactly lined up with the pivot for the leg, move the leg full left to full tight and see if the leg slides further out on the stub shaft at any point in the travel, if not feel free to undo the grub screw on the dog drive and move it a bit further in.

SweetZ28
07-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the info Guy's will take a look at it later.
THANKS

Doby
07-15-2010, 08:10 AM
it is not a flex cable, shaft drive.
I has not been installed wrong, just slightly loose.
if you want to close that gap all you have to do is loosen the set screw on the universal, close the gap, and re tighten. leave some play though, so the drive system doesn't bind.

I know that portion is a shaft,,,duhh...I would bet there is a flex cable going from the universal joint to the motor, as the motor is placed under load, it will shrink and that gap should be there to account for that shrinkage.

G-UNIT
07-15-2010, 08:37 AM
It looks the same as whats on a black jack 26.
mine was always up close to the strut, I figured thats why theres that nylon washer on it,
so it does'ent bind, sort of like a thrust washer.
but then again the u-joint is not that strong and could fail under load.
most bj owners replace the hardware with somthing else, speedmaster ect...

SweetZ28
07-15-2010, 08:47 AM
It looks the same as whats on a black jack 26.
mine was always up close to the strut, I figured thats why theres that nylon washer on it,
so it does'ent bind, sort of like a thrust washer.
but then again the u-joint is not that strong and could fail under load.
most bj owners replace the hardware with somthing else, speedmaster ect...

where do you get these parts?

SweetZ28
07-15-2010, 08:48 AM
I know that portion is a shaft,,,duhh...I would bet there is a flex cable going from the universal joint to the motor, as the motor is placed under load, it will shrink and that gap should be there to account for that shrinkage.

No flex cable at all on this one!
I just took out some of the play and it looks fine now and a full turn left and right there still is play in the drive so it looks good.

G-UNIT
07-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Check out off shore electrics site. also graves hobby in orlando fl.