PDA

View Full Version : SeaKing 120 esc

LarrysDrifter
07-09-2010, 10:08 PM
I got my EKOS running again with 2 SeaKing 120 speedos.I ran it just a bit ago for about 5 minutes with no problems at all.None.Not even heat issues.After I pulled it out to check temps and put it back in,it ran fine for about 1 minute.Then,it stops,then goes about 1mph in a circle in the middle of the lake.So, I began walking to my truck to get my pole with the tennis ball while I was pulling on the throttle trigger off and on,then it takes off and I have control.When I got it in,nothing was abnormal.Plugged it in and it ran great.Anyone ever hear of this?The speedos are only about a week and half old.:help:

forescott
07-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Could be your receiver acting up. Did it get wet? Double check all your esc settings too.

forescott
07-10-2010, 04:29 PM
I have the turnigy 120's in my ekos,(same as seaking) and they have been flawless so far.

LarrysDrifter
07-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Could be your receiver acting up. Did it get wet? Double check all your esc settings too.

Just a hair wet once.But its been wet before with the stuffing tubes leaking.Nothing has been soaked though.I set it in the garage with a fan blowing on it since last nite.Should be ok.And I bought the speedos that came with the programming card too.They have 10 or 12 tuning options on them but they will only let me do 4.At least I can set the low voltage cut off.Thanks for your suggestions earlier.It really hauls a@@ now with the 9xl's.Got it to 50.1 so far on 4s with the 36mm props.Hopefully I can tune the stingers and get a bit more speed out of it.I also got the Octura collets and wire drives from Jeff too.Such a better setup from stock.

forescott
07-11-2010, 01:45 AM
I am using ALL of the exact parts that you have on your ekos, except the turnigy esc's. You can run the cf-40 props and get just over 55mph. Truly impressive!

LarrysDrifter
07-11-2010, 01:56 AM
Ive been checking on here for the cf-40s but theyre not in stock.Added a watch for them.Cant find them anywhere else.Guess Ill just stick to my 36's for now.One prob I do have is that my 4mm bullet nuts feel loose on my prop shafts.I put a lot of locktite on them but they just dont feel right.Afraid to lose them and my props.Just gonna have to run lock nuts I guess.It does look sweet with the bullets though.I also put in 2 of the dual water pickups like you in the bottom of the hull.Works great and looks a ton better.

LarrysDrifter
07-11-2010, 02:00 AM
Hey forescott,which cf 40's do you use,the 4mm or 3/16?

forescott
07-11-2010, 02:43 AM
I used the 3/16 with the brass prop adapters.

forescott
07-11-2010, 02:51 AM
The 4mm props are threaded and dont use a prop nut, or have the notch for the drive dog. If you're careful, you could probably mod them to work with a dremmel tool if you dont want to wait.

LarrysDrifter
07-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Ill just wait it out.Its blowing over on the 32mm props as it is.Its not going but 47mph but I blew it over twice this morning.And there was a very slight breeze.

forescott
07-11-2010, 01:26 PM
I have not yet had a blowover in the ekos. I wont run if its windy though. You might want to give the stingers a little negative adjustment. Remember when you change prop sizes you also need to adjust the stingers to compensate for the diameter change of the prop. The cf-40 will need more posotive trim than the 32mm 3-blades.

scubasteve95
07-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Ive been checking on here for the cf-40s but theyre not in stock.Added a watch for them.Cant find them anywhere else.Guess Ill just stick to my 36's for now.One prob I do have is that my 4mm bullet nuts feel loose on my prop shafts.I put a lot of locktite on them but they just dont feel right.Afraid to lose them and my props.Just gonna have to run lock nuts I guess.It does look sweet with the bullets though.I also put in 2 of the dual water pickups like you in the bottom of the hull.Works great and looks a ton better.

go to this web site he has all you need www.rcworldwide.com(i got 4 cf-40 & 4 cf-40L)
ose has nice pics of items you want but thats about all(out of stock)
i have a web site for just about every item on here...the only
differance there (in stock)
and www.kintecracing.com for the adapters
all items were cheaper and shipped fast

forescott
07-31-2010, 11:11 AM
Good to know steve. I always give ose the first shot, but sometimes I just can't wait!

LarrysDrifter
07-31-2010, 01:19 PM
go to this web site he has all you need www.rcworldwide.com(i got 4 cf-40 & 4 cf-40L)
ose has nice pics of items you want but thats about all(out of stock)
i have a web site for just about every item on here...the only
differance there (in stock)
and www.kintecracing.com for the adapters
all items were cheaper and shipped fast

Went to rcworldwide.com-those props where 30 or 35 dollars each!A bit much,but if OSE doesnt get any in soon,I might have to swing it then.Also,Kintec has metal props sharpened and balanced in 37mm and 38mm two blades for a 4mm shaft.Just got my 38's and gonna try them later today.My buddy has an Apparation boat with a 540 1500 something kv motor on 6s, and Im only about 2 to 3 boats behind him when drag racing.MY EKOS has 380 9xl's on 4s with 36mm props.Sweet.

forescott
07-31-2010, 08:35 PM
Went to rcworldwide.com-those props where 30 or 35 dollars each!A bit much,but if OSE doesnt get any in soon,I might have to swing it then.Also,Kintec has metal props sharpened and balanced in 37mm and 38mm two blades for a 4mm shaft.Just got my 38's and gonna try them later today.My buddy has an Apparation boat with a 540 1500 something kv motor on 6s, and Im only about 2 to 3 boats behind him when drag racing.MY EKOS has 380 9xl's on 4s with 36mm props.Sweet.

If you can get ahold of those cf-40's, you will smoke your friend. The 40mm 2-blades make a big difference!

LarrysDrifter
07-31-2010, 08:58 PM
If you can get ahold of those cf-40's, you will smoke your friend. The 40mm 2-blades make a big difference!

I think Im just gonna wait till OSE gets them in stock-they are cheaper.I have a watch added.I just ran my EKOS with the 38mm props and went 55.9mph.I think I need to adjust the stingers with these.I left them at setting for the 36's.Also the rudder too.It rides at top speed with only the props and rudder in the water with the hull pretty high.Werent you running 55 with 36mm props?

forescott
07-31-2010, 11:50 PM
Nope, I hit 52, 55 with the cf-40's, then 57.7. What 38mm props are you using??

forescott
08-01-2010, 12:05 AM
Never mind. Just found em @ Kintec racing. 37 & 38mm counter rotating 2-blades. Doesn't say the manufacturer, but its nice to finally see some different prop sizes for twin counter-rotating setups!

scubasteve95
08-01-2010, 12:42 AM

you have to hit the Currencies to usa (it defaults to hong kong)
its on the right side and they come
up at $4.50 each
i did the same thing.
just ordered 4 more cf-40s....$23.18 shipped 5-6 DAYS DELIVERED

scubasteve95
08-01-2010, 01:06 AM
Good to know steve. I always give ose the first shot, but sometimes I just can't wait!

i do too,
but your right...just cant wait.

LarrysDrifter
08-01-2010, 02:00 AM
Tried to get them.It says incorrect format or amount or something when it comes to the pay pal page.Wont let me buy it.

LarrysDrifter
08-01-2010, 02:10 AM
Got it figured out.Not getting them from there.They have a really strange way of checking out with pal pal or credit card.My 38mm props run good anyway.

forescott
08-01-2010, 12:08 PM
You can send steve @ ose a pm and he might be able to give you a shipment update on them. :hornets_nest:

LarrysDrifter
08-01-2010, 04:09 PM
You can send steve @ ose a pm and he might be able to give you a shipment update on them. :hornets_nest:

Steve said they should be coming in anytime now.Gonna jump on those.Ran my EKOS today and went 56.6 mph with the 38mm props.Temps are still low.I might be able to run 42mm props eventually.Trying the 40's 1st.I cant believe how well those little 380 Fiageo motors run.Only prob now is the one motor mount keeps coming loose from the steel mount on the floor.Have to take it back out AGAIN for the 3rd time.Im going to try the green locktite on the motor mount bolts instead of blue.

forescott
08-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Interesting, mine haven't come loose yet. That is a great speed for 38mm props. Are they the ones from kintec racing? Did you balance them yourself??

scubasteve95
08-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Bronze Props 38mm X 55mm 38mm Dia x 1.45mm pitch = 55mm total pitch. Fits a 4mm shaft.

are these the props your using?

forescott
08-02-2010, 12:49 AM
No, 57.7 mph on the cf-40's. That's the first I've heard of the 38mm props.

sam
08-02-2010, 04:07 AM
Can anyone tell me the correct timing for 9XL motors.

Fluid
08-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Can anyone tell me the correct timing for 9XL motors.
That depends on how much amp draw you have. A safe place to start is low timing on most ESCs.

LarrysDrifter
08-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Interesting, mine haven't come loose yet. That is a great speed for 38mm props. Are they the ones from kintec racing? Did you balance them yourself??

They are from Kintec.They come sharpened and balanced.I have a couple of Graupner 42mm cf that screw onto a 4mm shaft,but the one wont screw on.The threads arent left hand.Might drill them out and put a slot in them for drive dogs.

LarrysDrifter
08-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Here are a couple pics of the props.They are long.Not much of the stub shaft to stick out.I had to loosen the collets and pull the wire drives out a tad.Not a big deal.And heres a pic of the Speedmaster rudder and mount.I had to put the mount bolts in from the inside.Its a little tight in there to gets the nuts all the way to the back.It works great-blow overs and general wipe-outs dont mess this one up like the stock junk does.And it has a break-a-way.I also moved the steering servo to the middle.Notice the water outlets now come out of the fake exhaust pipes.Ill use the stock outlets for the motor mounts when I decide I need them.

LarrysDrifter
08-02-2010, 10:56 AM

I was wrong.I just talked to Jan,they are NOT sharpened and balanced.Guess I need to get mine done.

scubasteve95
08-02-2010, 02:35 PM
No, 57.7 mph on the cf-40's. That's the first I've heard of the 38mm props.

SORRY,
i ment larrysdrifter.

LarrysDrifter
08-02-2010, 03:23 PM
SORRY,
i ment larrysdrifter.

You lost me on that one.

forescott
08-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Notice the water outlets now come out of the fake exhaust pipes.

I am liking this a lot! Gives it a scale look when running when the water comes outta there.

forescott
08-02-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm bettin you pick up a couple mph from a good sharpen and balance!

LarrysDrifter
08-02-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm bettin you pick up a couple mph from a good sharpen and balance!

Yeah.I want to send them and a couple of 442's to chuck-"egneg" to see what he can do.Im kinda thinking I might be able to run the 442's safely.My temps with the 38's are 100-116 for both the motors and esc's.Really dont want to burn anything up.My main goal for now is to beat my buddys Apparation.Friendly of course.Might just have to buy the 2 Align motors in the swap shop and run on 6s.

forescott
08-02-2010, 11:07 PM
He does nice work. I have several props from him. I can balance & sharpen my own, but it's not fun for me, and his come out soo nice!

LarrysDrifter
08-02-2010, 11:16 PM
He does nice work. I have several props from him. I can balance & sharpen my own, but it's not fun for me, and his come out soo nice!

Do you have any suggestions on stringer settings when moving to a larger diameter prop?Is there a general rule of thumb to it-say when going larger diameter you put the prop lower in the water?

forescott
08-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Do you have any suggestions on stringer settings when moving to a larger diameter prop?Is there a general rule of thumb to it-say when going larger diameter you put the prop lower in the water?

Mine seems to like a little positive angle on the stinger with the larger props. When I ran my 32mm props if I didnt set the stingers neutral or slightly negative, the boat would cavitate a lot before getting up on plane. Not sure if there is a general rule of thumb for stinger settings. Thats whats so good about having a gps. You can make small adjustments and take measurements to dial your boat in for max speed. BTW, I dont have the newer black stingers with the degree indicators on them. :sad:

forescott
08-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Nice thing about a strut as compared to a stinger, is a strut you can adjust the prop depth seperately from the strut angle. With the stinger you are adjusting both at the same time. Setting prop depth is pretty critical for max rpm/speed. Run your prop too deep and you can really heat up the electronics too.

LarrysDrifter
08-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Sorry to hear that about you not having the black stingers.The indicators on them arent that accurate anyway.Thanks for the suggestions on the depth.I just had to take out one of the motor mounts again because the mount screws keep coming loose from the steel floor mount.I used blue locktite on the screws before.Now I used green.They better not come loose again or Im making my own mounts that will be one piece.

scubasteve95
08-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Sorry to hear that about you not having the black stingers.The indicators on them arent that accurate anyway.Thanks for the suggestions on the depth.I just had to take out one of the motor mounts again because the mount screws keep coming loose from the steel floor mount.I used blue locktite on the screws before.Now I used green.They better not come loose again or Im making my own mounts that will be one piece.

SPOT ON,
the indicators are not your friend on this boat
beacause the stingers mite not be in the exact same place....(like mine)
keep doing what your doing with the adjustment and you wont go wrong
and larry i was wondering if the props your using were the ones i mentioned.
didn't meen to lose you.....
(kintek 38X1.45)
whats every bodys apinion on bearings vs bushings????
the reason i ask is 1 of my bearings went bad and locked solid(no movement)
but it had no affect on the shaft???and no affect on the speed???

scubasteve95
08-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Notice the water outlets now come out of the fake exhaust pipes.

i did the same thing but took out the fake pipes and went with rivits...
nice job...
can you see the water come out when you buzz by?????
i cant but i know it works because my heat is around 115-130
plus if i use my pump to check the fittings it flows out nice.
check out the pic (avatar)and you can see the difference.

LarrysDrifter
08-03-2010, 10:58 PM
SPOT ON,
the indicators are not your friend on this boat
beacause the stingers mite not be in the exact same place....(like mine)
keep doing what your doing with the adjustment and you wont go wrong
and larry i was wondering if the props your using were the ones i mentioned.
didn't meen to lose you.....
(kintek 38X1.45)
whats every bodys apinion on bearings vs bushings????
the reason i ask is 1 of my bearings went bad and locked solid(no movement)
but it had no affect on the shaft???and no affect on the speed???

Thats the props.They work great.Its looks like they are balanced.They have the same look a balanced prop does.And the edges arent dull at all,but they arent S&B.I still picked up I think 4 mph with them.Gonna get them S&B though.
My opinion on bushings-dont use them.Ill be upgrading to the Boca Ceramic sealed when my stockers go south.

LarrysDrifter
08-03-2010, 11:04 PM
i did the same thing but took out the fake pipes and went with rivits...
nice job...
can you see the water come out when you buzz by?????
i cant but i know it works because my heat is around 115-130
plus if i use my pump to check the fittings it flows out nice.
check out the pic (avatar)and you can see the difference.

Cant see the water at speed of course-or when cruising by slow.It works though.Temps dont get any higher than 116 for everything so far.Running cool-time for some 442's!OSE got some cf-40's in,but wife wont let me get them because I just bought 2 motors from the swap shop.Theyre only $5.00 each!Maybe I wont need them if I can squeeze the motors in there.There 1650kv outrunners with jackets and going on 6s.If they ll fit,thats where theyre going.Crash time!

LarrysDrifter
08-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Your EKOS looks good.You have more pics?Is it stock still?

scubasteve95
08-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Your EKOS looks good.You have more pics?Is it stock still?

thanx....
yep still stock except for some extra cooling
and a new rudder...got all the pics you need...
didn't like the paint job i did around the hatch so i took it off.
i also dont have the outlets on the side anymore...
i epoxyed the hole and just use the rear exit ports now,
1 on each side for the motor and the other for the esc's and motor mount together

scubasteve95
08-04-2010, 02:04 PM
heres some more...
thats the new aeromarine rudder i
picked up.got rid of the intake tubes from the old rudder
and use the hull flush mount doubles on each side
for the esc's and motor mount coolers
the rudder just cools the motors...i also drilled another intake port on
the other side of the rudder so i didn't have any cooling
lose.(like the rudder on the 54"kos gas)

LarrysDrifter
08-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Looks good.I have the dual floor mounted pickups in mine too.I cant believe its still stock.

scubasteve95
08-05-2010, 08:56 AM
thanx ,
YEA SHE'S A RUNNER...........
gunna go with the 10xl's x442 props and some 120amp seaking esc's
jeff's wire drives and boca ultra ceramic bearings
on the same 4s 5000 packs im using now
in a little bit should be able to run all day on that set-up @ wfo
and be just as rock steady as it is now...but alot faster and alot cooler.
want to use the stock venom stuff in another build.i need a bigger springer rescue tug
and should power it perfect.

LarrysDrifter
08-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Im using the stock venom esc and motor in a rescue boat Im building.That way,I have a spare motor when the stocker craps out.No back-up esc though.The rescue boat should be a fun little guy to play with.

scubasteve95
08-05-2010, 09:46 PM
SWEET....
im doing the same thing but most of the stuff going in to the ekos will be upgraded
i was going to do what your doing untill i saw
forescott pull a 57+mph run and well lets just say
i want one to.atleast this way my rescue tug can be parted out
if i need bearings or hardware...i could use the stock esc's and motors too
if i had a issue but after i hit 50+ it will be hard to go back.

LarrysDrifter
08-05-2010, 10:19 PM
My fastest run is 56.6 mph with 38mm metal 2 blade props.Thats with the exact same parts forescott has.He's runnin cf-40mm props.My right hand 442 should be in tomorrow.Im willing to put money on 60mph.And my 38's arent sharpened or balanced.So,heres what Im thinking-and this is not bad mouthing forescott at all.When running a plastic or cf prop,the diameter decreases with rpm.I think they close up somewhat like a Venus Fly Trap closes when it catches a bug.Thats what causes them to lose diameter.Hope that made sense.Its the best I could describe it with out physically showing you.Hes running 57mph with cf 40's-Im going 56mph with metal 38's.Mine being 2mm smaller dia.If he could round up some metal 40's,his boat would be a damn rocket.My temps maxed out at 116 motor and esc.As far as temps go,I feel confident I can safely run 442's with out over heating anything.But as far as props go,I would strongly recommend the 38mm props sharpened and balanced of course.I think you would hit 57 or 58mph.Keep me posted for sure on your rebuild.

scubasteve95
08-05-2010, 10:43 PM
My fastest run is 56.6 mph with 38mm metal 2 blade props.Thats with the exact same parts forescott has.He's runnin cf-40mm props.My right hand 442 should be in tomorrow.Im willing to put money on 60mph.And my 38's arent sharpened or balanced.So,heres what Im thinking-and this is not bad mouthing forescott at all.When running a plastic or cf prop,the diameter decreases with rpm.I think they close up somewhat like a Venus Fly Trap closes when it catches a bug.Thats what causes them to lose diameter.Hope that made sense.Its the best I could describe it with out physically showing you.Hes running 57mph with cf 40's-Im going 56mph with metal 38's.Mine being 2mm smaller dia.If he could round up some metal 40's,his boat would be a damn rocket.My temps maxed out at 116 motor and esc.As far as temps go,I feel confident I can safely run 442's with out over heating anything.But as far as props go,I would strongly recommend the 38mm props sharpened and balanced of course.I think you would hit 57 or 58mph.Keep me posted for sure on your rebuild.

one thing i noticed on your 38's is
the pitch is greater...correct me if im wrong
but that is whats giving you your high rate of speed out of a smaller prop....
your heat is about the same as his with the 40's and a lower pitch
check your heat often for afew with the 9xl's on 42's
you are correct about the cf's there is some flex
but it isn't as bad as you think.

LarrysDrifter
08-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Your right,I didnt think about pitch.Thats probably what it is.I dont know what the pitch is on the 40's.But, your right about the speed.I plan on timing the 442's.One min-then check.2 min-check again.I like to run for long periods of time,but I might not get 10 minutes out of the 442's.Ill keep checking untill I see it to be too hot then take off 3 minutes or so on the next run.I see a couple guys want the 10xl's,but I dont think theyll have the rpm a 9xl would.Maybe more torque,but mine leaves plenty fast.

scubasteve95
08-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Your right,I didnt think about pitch.Thats probably what it is.I dont know what the pitch is on the 40's.But, your right about the speed.I plan on timing the 442's.One min-then check.2 min-check again.I like to run for long periods of time,but I might not get 10 minutes out of the 442's.Ill keep checking untill I see it to be too hot then take off 3 minutes or so on the next run.I see a couple guys want the 10xl's,but I dont think theyll have the rpm a 9xl would.Maybe more torque,but mine leaves plenty fast.

your pitch is 1.45 = 55mm....scotts is 1.4 = 56mm
your rpms are higher with less prop but your travel is almost the same
the wording mite be wrong but the idea is the same...
im going with the 10's on 42's should have no problems and
hit about 55mph...i like to just run it till my batts hit lvc......

forescott
08-06-2010, 05:04 AM

I have a set of 442's ready to go. I'm just afraid they might be too big for the 9xl's so I havent run with them yet.

forescott
08-06-2010, 05:09 AM
Also think about this... If the diameter of a cf prop decreases and closes like a venus fly trap like you say, then its also increasing the pitch considerably. Hmmmmm......:confused2:

forescott
08-06-2010, 05:13 AM
I am really liking the sound of those 38mm props. 1.45 pitch is slightly higher than the cf-40 which is 1.4, and the slightly smaller diameter will allow the motors to rev higher with less heat. I'm thinking the 38mm might be the perfect prop for the 9xl. Now I want a set!

forescott
08-06-2010, 05:28 AM
Im using the stock venom esc and motor in a rescue boat Im building.That way,I have a spare motor when the stocker craps out.No back-up esc though.The rescue boat should be a fun little guy to play with.

I know you guys are having good luck with the stock motors, but I'd run that rescue boat on 2s with the ekos gear in it. Or you might need a rescue boat for you're rescue boat! :beerchug:

scubasteve95
08-06-2010, 10:08 AM
I know you guys are having good luck with the stock motors, but I'd run that rescue boat on 2s with the ekos gear in it. Or you might need a rescue boat for you're rescue boat! :beerchug:

dude im just using 2 regular stick packs....
not worried about the stockers just dont need to go all out
with her
but your right ...my luck it will burn up when im doing a rescue.......

scubasteve95
08-06-2010, 10:10 AM
your pitch is 1.45 = 55mm....scotts is 1.4 = 56mm
your rpms are higher with less prop but your travel is almost the same
the wording mite be wrong but the idea is the same...
im going with the 10's on 42's should have no problems and
hit about 55mph...i like to just run it till my batts hit lvc......

I am really liking the sound of those 38mm props. 1.45 pitch is slightly higher than the cf-40 which is 1.4, and the slightly smaller diameter will allow the motors to rev higher with less heat. I'm thinking the 38mm might be the perfect prop for the 9xl. Now I want a set!

:iagree:

forescott
08-06-2010, 02:15 PM
dude im just using 2 regular stick packs....
not worried about the stockers just dont need to go all out
with her
but your right ...my luck it will burn up when im doing a rescue.......

I'm sure they'll be fine. Just teasin. :hornets_nest:

forescott
08-06-2010, 02:19 PM
I might have to bolt on my 442's and try her out this weekend for a quick saw run just to see if I can scrub any more speed off this thing. I just dont want to burn anything up. 60mph would be cool bragging rights though! :beerchug:

LarrysDrifter
08-06-2010, 06:13 PM

Thats probably true,but Im gonna give her hell on 3s.I might run my 442' this evening or in the morning.I have to make adapters still.60mph would be sweet.Id be almost as fast as my buddies Apparation.Ive got a little surprise for him though-2 Align 600XL's 1650kv on 6s.

LarrysDrifter
08-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Forescott,try the 38's.Theyre awsome.I picked up 4mph.That was with them not sharpened or balanced.And theyre cheap.I think they are 12 dollars and something a piece.

forescott
08-06-2010, 08:06 PM
I gotta have-em!

LarrysDrifter
08-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I gotta have-em!

You have to try the 442's!I just got back from running with them.Got 64.3mph on Garmin GPS!Temps were 177 degrees with a 5 minute run.Its jumps completely out of the water.I ran out of room as the local spot is a hair short for really fast runs.I believe 66mph is very achievable.Try em,youll love the speed.I know I can beat my buddies Apparation for sure now.

forescott
08-06-2010, 10:05 PM
No way! I'm impressed. That's really hot though. I already have the 442's bolted on and everything is lubed and batteries are charged. I was gonna run it tomorrow as long as I have calm water.

LarrysDrifter
08-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Sorry.I meant 117 degrees.Im going to a bigger lake tomorrow to open it up.Ill post a pic of where I mount the batteries so you can get an idea for yours for tomorrow if you want.

forescott
08-06-2010, 10:14 PM
I still use the battery trays. 117 is much better. You had me nervous there for a minute.

LarrysDrifter
08-06-2010, 10:22 PM
You might want to take the tray out.Not telling you what to do with your stuff,but the batteries need to be moved way forward.Im going to try different settings on the stingers and batt placement tomorrow.

LarrysDrifter
08-06-2010, 11:40 PM
:banana:Here is where I put the batteries and GPS for the 64.3 mph run.

scubasteve95
08-07-2010, 03:54 PM
:banana:Here is where I put the batteries and GPS for the 64.3 mph run.

STOP STOP STOP.........................:zip-up:
YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME
i cant take it anymore....................
10xls...120seakings....boca ultra ceramics....and x442...im in.

LarrysDrifter
08-07-2010, 04:08 PM
I havent looked at the kv on the 10xl's, but Im pretty sure you get more rpm with the 9xl's on 4s.Id buy the 9's.Soon as I get my rescue boat done,Im gonna run the EKOS again.Im positive I can get more than 64mph out of it.I ran out of room last night.

forescott
08-07-2010, 06:53 PM
I ran the ekos on my 442's for the first time today. I couldn't reach full throttle because the front end was ready to blow over @ 50mph. It seems like the bigger the prop, the more lift on the transom, causing more air to pack in between the sponsons giving it more lift. The boat looks like an airplane wing @ 50 with the front end bouncing a lot. Weird because the boat is rock solid on my cf-40's. I guess I'll remove the battery trays and push my lipos forward like you Larry. I am a little baffled by this because everything I've read on this forum has told me that the center of gravity on a cat should be at or near 30% from the transom. I'm also considering moving the esc's in between the motors and putting the lipos in front of the motors in the sponsons to keep the weight as low as possible. Well see how it handles with the batteries forward a couple inches from their original position first.

forescott
08-07-2010, 06:57 PM
You're right Larry, the 10xl has less kv. About 2400 I think. But they do have slightly more toque than the 9xl and might push the ekos nearly as fast as the 9. The 9xl may not be reaching its max rpm with a larger prop like the 442. Maybe the 10xl/442 is the perfect combo? I want to find out. C'mon scuba...Catch up!

LarrysDrifter
08-07-2010, 07:50 PM
I ran the ekos on my 442's for the first time today. I couldn't reach full throttle because the front end was ready to blow over @ 50mph. It seems like the bigger the prop, the more lift on the transom, causing more air to pack in between the sponsons giving it more lift. The boat looks like an airplane wing @ 50 with the front end bouncing a lot. Weird because the boat is rock solid on my cf-40's. I guess I'll remove the battery trays and push my lipos forward like you Larry. I am a little baffled by this because everything I've read on this forum has told me that the center of gravity on a cat should be at or near 30% from the transom. I'm also considering moving the esc's in between the motors and putting the lipos in front of the motors in the sponsons to keep the weight as low as possible. Well see how it handles with the batteries forward a couple inches from their original position first.

I dont know much about COG,but it seems to like the batteries where the pic showed them.I still blew over twice.1st time was nailing the throttle when going about half speed.2nd time was moving at full throttle,but not top speed.Im also thinking about moving my batts in the sponsons too.My esc mounts keep breaking loose anyway.The battery tray comes out easily too.I just pulled mine straight up and out.It didnt harm the tray.If your wanting to keep yours and you mess it up taking it out,you can have mine.Ill never use it for anything.I got my rescue boat done a few minutes ago and when testing it,the motor coupler set screw flew out.So,Im still unable to run my EKOS for the time being.

LarrysDrifter
08-07-2010, 07:53 PM
You're right Larry, the 10xl has less kv. About 2400 I think. But they do have slightly more toque than the 9xl and might push the ekos nearly as fast as the 9. The 9xl may not be reaching its max rpm with a larger prop like the 442. Maybe the 10xl/442 is the perfect combo? I want to find out. C'mon scuba...Catch up!

I wonder if the 9xl can reach its max rpm if given enough room?He needs to get on the ball and order his parts.Have you gotten the 38's yet?Ill be using mine for general running and the 442's for Apparation ass kickin.

scubasteve95
08-08-2010, 12:22 PM
OK......
all are ordered except for the props..
dont know if i want the 442's or 640's???????????
cant find the 640r's...does anyone know if there outhere?
looking for a set b&s so if anybody has a source let me know.
i want the 640's but will take the 440's
and by the sound of things i will have a extra battery tray soon too.
i going to put the esc'c in the center and move the batts infront of the motors.
that seems the sweet spot.

LarrysDrifter
08-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Working on mine right now.Also,taking the deans off and putting 5.5 bullets on the batteries and esc's.The deans where starting to turn black,so its time to make it right.Might take off the banana plug style bullets and use CC 4mm.Its gotta be pulling alot more amps with the 442's.Next purchase will be a data logger.I need one anyway.I decided not to run my EKOS till I get my rescue boat done-which I did.But,the set screw in the coupler on the motor side flew out and took the threads with it.Itll be sometime this week till I can make another pass with it.Im really hoping for 66mph.

LarrysDrifter
08-08-2010, 01:14 PM
OK......
i going to put the esc'c in the center and move the batts infront of the motors.

I dont know about the 640's.I just bought my 442r from OSE last week,and there where 4 in stock that where S&B.Look here and get those before they are sold out.What motors did you get?You should do a build thread for the new guys that are wanting an EKOS.And dont use deans!I thought I could get away with it,but now Im soldering connectors twice.Be sure you use bullets on everything.

forescott
08-08-2010, 05:46 PM
OK......

I dont think octura makes a 640 in reverse rotation. I think the 442's will work good on your 10xl's.

forescott
08-08-2010, 05:50 PM
I dont know about the 640's.I just bought my 442r from OSE last week,and there where 4 in stock that where S&B.Look here and get those before they are sold out.What motors did you get?You should do a build thread for the new guys that are wanting an EKOS.And dont use deans!I thought I could get away with it,but now Im soldering connectors twice.Be sure you use bullets on everything.

You can also look in the forum under products and serices where you'll find a thead called "prop work". From there you can pm chuck genge(username egneg) to sharpen and balance props for you at a reasonable price.

forescott
08-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Working on mine right now.Also,taking the deans off and putting 5.5 bullets on the batteries and esc's.The deans where starting to turn black,so its time to make it right.Might take off the banana plug style bullets and use CC 4mm.Its gotta be pulling alot more amps with the 442's.Next purchase will be a data logger.I need one anyway.I decided not to run my EKOS till I get my rescue boat done-which I did.But,the set screw in the coupler on the motor side flew out and took the threads with it.Itll be sometime this week till I can make another pass with it.Im really hoping for 66mph.

Have you thought of using these? EC-5 connector. Basically a 5mm bullet in a plastic connector. Great thing about these is you don't have to worry about touching the positive and negative leads together.

forescott
08-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Im really hoping for 66mph.

I'm hoping for 67. :hornets_nest:

forescott
08-08-2010, 05:55 PM
You guy's are gonna cost me a lot of money! :beerchug:

LarrysDrifter
08-08-2010, 11:01 PM
You guy's are gonna cost me a lot of money! :beerchug:

Whats another few hundred bucks when we have around a grand in some china hull?Hell,I just spent another $110 on used 6s motors and still have to get two 180 esc's and see if I can cram all that in the EKOS.I dont think I can stop.Gonna run with my buddy tomorrow after work.He has an operational rescue boat.Im really hoping on 66mph.Let me know how yours runs with the 442's.

LarrysDrifter
08-08-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm hoping for 67. :hornets_nest:

If you hit 67mph,I have to find a way to get 68.:sarcasm1:

forescott
08-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Ok, got a chance to work on the ekos today. Removed the battery trays and ESC brackets. Ground down all the leftover epoxy with the dremmel tool. Decided to re-use the ESC brackets and re-epoxy them on top of the tunnel. My 3300 4s packs fit nice and snug in the sponsons. Got all my cooling lines hooked up. Decided to not use the motor mount cooling this time to minimize some of the spaghetti. Here's a few pics of the new layout.

forescott
08-09-2010, 01:09 AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that the center of gravity isn't too far forward.

scubasteve95
08-09-2010, 10:11 AM
looks nice.
let me know how it does...thinking of doing just about
the same thing...
and my idea with the 640's is the same as the 38's
more pitch less prop.

forescott
08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Where did you find a counter rotating 640?

LarrysDrifter
08-09-2010, 08:32 PM
That looks nice.Ran mine today.Got 66.1mph.Also broke a wire drive and lost my brand new 442r.And broke my hull open.BE CAREFUL RUNNING THE 442'S!To me its not worth the damage.Im definitley going back to the 38's.Ill post a pic soon.Im gonna hang the EKOS up for a while so I can think of how Im going to fix it,or if Im even gonna fix it.Pretty bummed.I really like this boat,but its been my biggest headache in FE.I wonder how much a bare hull is?Or where to get one?Hell,it doesnt even have to be a King of Shaves hull.Just a 32" cat with no holes in it.

scubasteve95
08-09-2010, 09:50 PM
That looks nice.Ran mine today.Got 66.1mph.Also broke a wire drive and lost my brand new 442r.And broke my hull open.BE CAREFUL RUNNING THE 442'S!To me its not worth the damage.Im definitley going back to the 38's.Ill post a pic soon.Im gonna hang the EKOS up for a while so I can think of how Im going to fix it,or if Im even gonna fix it.Pretty bummed.I really like this boat,but its been my biggest headache in FE.I wonder how much a bare hull is?Or where to get one?Hell,it doesnt even have to be a King of Shaves hull.Just a 32" cat with no holes in it.

what happened?????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????
what happened to the hull?
did you hit something?
were the 442's just to much?
did you jump out of the water and reenter wfo?
what happened to the wire?
sorry about all the questions but just cant believe it....
im almost as bummed as you are....
i did alot of huney-do last week just for the ok to keep up with
you guys.

scubasteve95
08-09-2010, 09:52 PM
it all up to you now forescott...
lets hear about your run with that
new set-up.

scubasteve95
08-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Where did you find a counter rotating 640?
i havn't....
just going with that idea.
i do have my ear to the net tring to find
a source for a cr in that config...
a couple of go leds so i hope i
can come up with something soon.

forescott
08-10-2010, 10:37 AM
what happened?????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????
what happened to the hull?
did you hit something?
were the 442's just to much?
did you jump out of the water and reenter wfo?
what happened to the wire?
sorry about all the questions but just cant believe it....
im almost as bummed as you are....
i did alot of huney-do last week just for the ok to keep up with
you guys.

?????? I just re-configed my whole setup for max speed! We need some more details Larry!

forescott
08-10-2010, 10:39 AM
it all up to you now forescott...
lets hear about your run with that
new set-up.

Still workin on it. Might be a couple of days before I can get time to get it back out on the water.

forescott
08-10-2010, 12:35 PM
A bare hull is about 140-bucks. And venom actually has them in stock.

forescott
08-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Scratch that! Tower has em for 132 bucks, and they should have some this month.

scubasteve95
08-10-2010, 03:26 PM
gotta new idea....
found a 37.5mm prop with a 1.6pitch =60mm
its a m4 theard but im still going to try it.
may use a sleeve in place of the dog or mod for dog
don't know yet.mite be
what you 9xl guys are looking for.

LarrysDrifter
08-10-2010, 08:28 PM
?????? I just re-configed my whole setup for max speed! We need some more details Larry!

Uploading pics in a few.Ill give full details with pics.

forescott
08-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Uploading pics in a few.Ill give full details with pics.

:popcorn2::popcorn2::popcorn2:

LarrysDrifter
08-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Just turned around after making a speed run.I was bringing the boat back in to check temps.It leaned to one side,so naturally,I slowed down.Picked it up and the prop was gone.The wire broke in the stuffing tube.As for the break in the hull,that happened before the wire broke.I forgot to move the batteries in the position where I showed them in the pics from the other day.It got way airborne and came down hard,breaking the hull.I think Im gonna try to fix it before I spend the money on a new hull.With that said,Make no full throttle starts,and when coming to max speed,do it very gradually,and make sure you move the batteries forward like I showed.It really moves with the 442's.Use a lot of caution getting to top speed.Heres some pics.Let my mishap be a reminder to you guys wanting 60-something mph out of your EKOS.And dont ever forget its just a cheap china hull no matter what we paid for it.

forescott
08-10-2010, 08:48 PM
How were the water conditions? I'm hoping that the batteries will stay in place pretty well in the sponsons. I hope those 442's aren't too big for the wire drives.

forescott
08-10-2010, 08:50 PM
I have the perfect fix for you're hull! :just-kidding:

ray schrauwen
08-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Unless its laid up in Carbon or carbon/kevlar any glass hull has its limits, like 60mph...

Even Hydromarine hulls break apart at those speeds.... Got me thinking now too... how fast do i want to make my twin cat? How can I get CF/Kevlar in the nose area?

LarrysDrifter
08-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Water was glass.I think the 442's are too big for the .062 wires.Maybe bigger wire or a .150 flex?Those props make a lot of torque.Just be easy on the throttle,and run in smooth water.Im going back to the 38's for sure.I was saying in another thread,I have a LittleScreamers outrunner-do you know where I can get a bare hull for the 55"version KOS?

LarrysDrifter
08-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Unless its laid up in Carbon or carbon/kevlar any glass hull has its limits, like 60mph...

Even Hydromarine hulls break apart at those speeds.... Got me thinking now too... how fast do i want to make my twin cat? How can I get CF/Kevlar in the nose area?

Good luck getting it in the nose.Id say 60mph is max for these hulls?These high speeds can be done,just very carefully and in the right water conditions.

ray schrauwen
08-10-2010, 08:57 PM
I made up my own .150 cables & stubs. I used 3/16" stub stepped down to 1/8".... Gotta build this sucker but, other builds slowing this down...

LarrysDrifter
08-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Who has the shoehorn?

LarrysDrifter
08-10-2010, 09:04 PM
I made up my own .150 cables & stubs. I used 3/16" stub stepped down to 1/8".... Gotta build this sucker but, other builds slowing this down...

Id like to see your build.Get on it!!:thumbup1:

scubasteve95
08-10-2010, 10:24 PM
I hope those 442's aren't too big for the wire drives.

ASK JEFF THEN SELL THEM TO ME............:bounce:
:just-kidding:
(OR AM I)

scubasteve95
08-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Just turned around after making a speed run.I was bringing the boat back in to check temps.It leaned to one side,so naturally,I slowed down.Picked it up and the prop was gone.The wire broke in the stuffing tube.As for the break in the hull,that happened before the wire broke.I forgot to move the batteries in the position where I showed them in the pics from the other day.It got way airborne and came down hard,breaking the hull.I think Im gonna try to fix it before I spend the money on a new hull.With that said,Make no full throttle starts,and when coming to max speed,do it very gradually,and make sure you move the batteries forward like I showed.It really moves with the 442's.Use a lot of caution getting to top speed.Heres some pics.Let my mishap be a reminder to you guys wanting 60-something mph out of your EKOS.And dont ever forget its just a cheap china hull no matter what we paid for it.

LARRY,
sorry to see the end result...sometimes are quest
for the gold leaves us blind....i think you gave us all
a reallity check,again sorry to hear.
on the lighter side i also think your 64mph will keep you
king for abit....as we are all poopping our jeans to
go there now.

forescott
08-11-2010, 04:56 AM
Good luck getting it in the nose.Id say 60mph is max for these hulls?These high speeds can be done,just very carefully and in the right water conditions.

I dont know, another ose member has a blackjack 26 thread going, with a twin 540 motor setup thats knocking on 70mph.

forescott
08-11-2010, 04:59 AM
Who has the shoehorn?

Nice, triple brushless kos. We'd better see a build thread for that 55" little screamers cat build you're starting.

forescott
08-11-2010, 05:01 AM
Water was glass.I think the 442's are too big for the .062 wires.Maybe bigger wire or a .150 flex?Those props make a lot of torque.Just be easy on the throttle,and run in smooth water.Im going back to the 38's for sure.I was saying in another thread,I have a LittleScreamers outrunner-do you know where I can get a bare hull for the 55"version KOS?

Keep your eyes open on flea bay. They come up every once in a while.

Boomer
10-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Hey
If that monster single brushless doesn't work out, I have a nice 350hp small block chevy you can try!

Boomer

Jeff Wohlt
10-10-2010, 11:02 PM
The props are not too big unless it hopped and maybe twisted hard. Are you running teflon or not? It could have worn a bad spot thru the wire if you had no teflon.

LarrysDrifter
10-10-2010, 11:17 PM
The props are not too big unless it hopped and maybe twisted hard. Are you running teflon or not? It could have worn a bad spot thru the wire if you had no teflon.

I just started fixing the hull today.Been missing the EKOS.The water was glass smooth and it definitly didnt hop.I took off gradually and ran it up to speed.After the going air borne,it landed upright and thats when I noticed it leaning to one side as I drove it.The wire broke pretty much in the middle between the prop shaft and end of the wire.(motor end).I did have the stock teflon in the stuffing tubes.The teflon looks fine too.

LarrysDrifter
10-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Jeff,do you make a .078 wire for the EKOS with a 4mm stub shaft?Figure that ll be stronger than the .062.

Jeff Wohlt
10-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Sure do. Just odd it snapped there.

Skullcracken
10-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Just a hair wet once.But its been wet before with the stuffing tubes leaking.Nothing has been soaked though.I set it in the garage with a fan blowing on it since last nite.Should be ok.And I bought the speedos that came with the programming card too.They have 10 or 12 tuning options on them but they will only let me do 4.At least I can set the low voltage cut off.Thanks for your suggestions earlier.It really hauls a@@ now with the 9xl's.Got it to 50.1 so far on 4s with the 36mm props.Hopefully I can tune the stingers and get a bit more speed out of it.I also got the Octura collets and wire drives from Jeff too.Such a better setup from stock.

Hey man. What KV are your 9xl's. I want to run 4s each to my 9xl's but mine are 2600 kv. Is that going to be too much max RPM? Im getting 42 mph with 3s to each now, gotta break 50 with this thing.

LarrysDrifter
10-16-2010, 11:29 AM
2612kv.Not too much rpm.You can go a little higher than 30,000rpm with twins.

Skullcracken
10-16-2010, 11:52 AM
2612kv.Not too much rpm.You can go a little higher than 30,000rpm with twins.

I see everyone using 120 amp esc's. Why is that needed? The reason I ask is, a blackjack 26 can run 4s on the stock setup with a 45 amp esc. Or the EKOS P1 can run 4s with a 60 amp stock esc and stock motor. Why is 120 needed on the 9xl's or the ammo motors?

forescott
10-16-2010, 12:47 PM
The blackjack has a 1500kv motor which will pull less amps than the higher kv 380xl's. Actually the 120amp esc's with the feigao 380-xl's is probably overkill. An 80-90 amp esc would be sufficient. Only reason I got em is because the price difference between the 90 and 120 was small, so I got the 120's instead.

LarrysDrifter
10-16-2010, 08:42 PM
The blackjack has a 1500kv motor which will pull less amps than the higher kv 380xl's. Actually the 120amp esc's with the feigao 380-xl's is probably overkill. An 80-90 amp esc would be sufficient. Only reason I got em is because the price difference between the 90 and 120 was small, so I got the 120's instead.:iagree:Plus,you can use the 120's in something else that will require a 120amp.My opinion,I like going over board on the amp rating with the esc.Dont really know why,just makes me more comfortable I guess.And my EKOS will be running again very soon.I have the hull patched up,just have to re-mount the components.Ill post pics soon.

Skullcracken
10-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks. I assumed the lower kv of the motor was the big difference, I just didn't get why an esc over double the amps was needed. Thats good to know I have two 85 amp escs in the ekos. Im going to try out 4s's today. Do the 9xl's have a higher max rpm? I always hear 35,000. Seems like I might have needed the 10xl's.

forescott
10-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Either motor works great on 4s. As long as your using the right prop. 9xl is 2612kv and the 10xl is 2352kv. cf-40's on the 9xl's and x442's on the 10xl's. JMO!

forescott
10-17-2010, 10:50 AM
I use 32mm red venom props for cool/sport running on 4s. Still get upper 40's on them

Skullcracken
10-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Either motor works great on 4s. As long as your using the right prop. 9xl is 2612kv and the 10xl is 2352kv. cf-40's on the 9xl's and x442's on the 10xl's. JMO!

Are the cf-40's sold on OSE? 3 blade or 2 blade? I am using the stock 36 mm props with the 9xl's. So would cf-40's get me more speed? Ran a little hot on 4s with stock props but hit 48mph.

forescott
10-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Oh boy... Yah get rid of those stock plastic props! The cf-40's will make a huuuuuge difference! OSE sells em. Don't forget 1-standard and 1-counter rotation.

forescott
10-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Heres the links for the props. And they are in stock!! I get over 60mph w/cf-40s and my 9xl's.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=grp-2317.40

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=grp-2317.40L

LarrysDrifter
10-20-2010, 09:42 PM
My King is almost resurected!!!Water testing tonight,then on to bolting the motors back in.I really want to be able to put the batteries in the sponsons when I run the X442 props.Still have to figure out how Im going to do it and be happy with it.I figure if I can get the batts there for the 442's,I can put the esc's on the floor near the rear and have room from the front of the hatch opening on back to put the batterys on the floor for when I run my 38mm props,and the C.G. will be adjustable for whatever props I want to use.I havent taken any pics as Ive been re-building.Just been in get it done mode.Ill post pics when its done.Should be able to run it this weekend.

forescott
10-21-2010, 09:00 AM
My King is almost resurected!!!Water testing tonight,then on to bolting the motors back in.I really want to be able to put the batteries in the sponsons when I run the X442 props.Still have to figure out how Im going to do it and be happy with it.I figure if I can get the batts there for the 442's,I can put the esc's on the floor near the rear and have room from the front of the hatch opening on back to put the batterys on the floor for when I run my 38mm props,and the C.G. will be adjustable for whatever props I want to use.I havent taken any pics as Ive been re-building.Just been in get it done mode.Ill post pics when its done.Should be able to run it this weekend.

Good to see it almost back up and running! I like my setup with the batteries in the sponsons. Works great on the 442's and equally well on the cf-40's. Have yet to run this layout with my small 32mm venom props, but it handles better the way it is now, even though the c.o.g. seems too forward.

LarrysDrifter
10-21-2010, 08:23 PM
My friend has an Apparation single drive.He moved the batts forward like yours in the pic and nose dove in the shallow water we run in.The boat stuck in the mud underwater from around 8 pm till the next morning.He felt it underwater while wading is the only reason it came up.The water is about 2 to 3 feet deep.

LarrysDrifter
10-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Water tested last night and water still drips from the stuffing tubes.Gonna put silicone between the stingers and hull as well as vacuum caps on the stuffing tubes inside the hull.Other than that,its water tight.No pressure test though.

forescott
10-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Grease between the teflon and aluminum tube??

Boomer
10-21-2010, 09:22 PM
This is just a suggestion, based on my own experience. While testing my EKOS for the first time last week, I found water inside the boat. There was no obvious source for the leak.

When I got home I did a "tub test", and determined the water was leaking in around the four hex heads that hold the drives to the hull. I called Venom to get their take on this and they suggested removing the drives (stingers) from the hull to see if the each one had an O-ring on the teflon flex shaft tube. (they are suppost to have them) There were no O-rings. That is why I had the leaks.

New O-rings will be installed and I am making a simple "flange gasket" to put between the hull and the flange/bracket the holes the drives(stingers) to the boat.

The good news is nothing was damaged, and the boat had no issues. I had taken all the precautions that have been discussed in this forum, so other than the leaks, no problems.

Don't know if that is the issue with yours but thought it was worth a mention
Boomer

LarrysDrifter
10-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Grease between the teflon and aluminum tube??

Yeah,I greased it.Im rebuilding the stingers now.I used a piece of brass tube for the spacer between the bearings.Much smoother than the teflon that came stock.

LarrysDrifter
10-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Boomer,I had no o-rings either with mine.Im going to use silicone around the bolt holes and mating area.Im getting water up the stuffing tube though.Not through the mounting flange on the stingers.Thank you for the suggestion though.Im also working on installing a Du-Bro wheel collar with a set screw to put on the wire drive just behind the stub shaft so to help not to lose any more props and drive dogs.Ive had a problem with that in the past with the wire breaking.Shouldnt anymore though.I do have perfect alingment between the collet and stuffing tube.I dont think it was good before.

Boomer
10-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Did you replace the teflon tube that was inside the boat (flex shaft sleeve)? Or did you add a short piece of brass tubing inside the drive/stinger? Can you shoot a picture of that arrangement from me? Mine is still stock, so the teflon tube sticks out a few of MM's beyond the transom. It acts as a "stub out" to hang the O-ring on, and protrudes a little into the opening of the drive/stinger line a spline on transmission.

Thank you
Boomer

LarrysDrifter
10-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Here is where I put a Du-Bro wheel collar(1/16") on the wire drive as close as possible to the stub shaft.Hopefully,if the wire lets go again this will keep it in the boat so I dont lose props anymore.Ive seen some people put them on the wire between the collet and stuffing tube,which may be fine,but if the wire breaks aft of the collet,it wont do much good.

LarrysDrifter
10-24-2010, 01:10 AM
This is the stinger mounting plate that bolts the stinger to the hull.The opening which Im pointing at must be enlarged if the wheel collar is going to be put in like in the previous pic.I used a Dremel tool.Grind and check untill theres clearance.Dont go over board.There is a flange that must be kept intact.The reason this has to be enlarged is for the set screw.It wont rub if you run a neutral setting on the stinger,but if you want to go positive or negative,enlarge the opening.

LarrysDrifter
10-24-2010, 01:14 AM
This is the can of gasket maker I bought from the parts store.I put this on to seal the stinger to the hull.It works very well and dont cost too much.

LarrysDrifter
10-24-2010, 01:27 AM
This is how I arranged everything for this go-around.Batteries in the sponsons,esc's on the floor towards the rear,servo mounted to the steering rod is in-line with the rudder instead of the bad angle venom had it.I have room on the floor to put the batteries so I can move the COG towards the rear for running props smaller than X442's.Also,by putting the esc's where I did makes for shorter cooling hoses too.

LarrysDrifter
10-24-2010, 01:37 AM
This is one of the SeaKing 120's I ran before.I wanted to mount them this way to keep cooling hose routing simple and get the cleanest look possible.I used a heat gun to help remove the sticker then cut the factory shrink wrap off.Next,I took off the cooling plate and turned it 180 degrees so the nipples are on the capasitor end.The thermal pad is still used.Then I shrunk some new wrap on,put the sticker back on and CA glued the edges to hold it down.Now the motor wires reach fine and the cooling hose isnt going everywhere.Oh,and I used FighterCats idea on using Epoxy paint for the inside to brighten it up and make it look nice after I re-inforced the hull with fiberglass matting.Just be sure to sand the paint off if you need to glue or epoxy something first or I dont think itll stick very long.The second pic shows I can read the GPS through the window to see what MPH it ran with out untaping the hatch.Now I can make stinger adjustments and just look through the window again.

LarrysDrifter
10-24-2010, 01:50 AM
Last minute flame job I did earlier.I had painted tips on the sponsons to hide the external fix from where I split the hull,then decided it would look better with matching flames.I did a "hurry"job on them,so they dont look the best,but good enough for a patched up hull.I did not take pics as I was re-inforcing the hull and sponsons.But most of you know what it would look like without paint.And I messed up on the flames a little too where they cross over.

LarrysDrifter
10-24-2010, 01:58 AM
Did you replace the teflon tube that was inside the boat (flex shaft sleeve)? Or did you add a short piece of brass tubing inside the drive/stinger? Can you shoot a picture of that arrangement from me? Mine is still stock, so the teflon tube sticks out a few of MM's beyond the transom. It acts as a "stub out" to hang the O-ring on, and protrudes a little into the opening of the drive/stinger line a spline on transmission.

Thank you
Boomer

Boomer,I forgot to take a pic for you.I still use the stock teflon inside the stuffing tube.What I did was take apart the stingers.If you press the inner and outer bearing out,you will notice a teflon spacer that rides between the bearings.I replaced that with brass tubing of the same length and I think 3/16" diameter.The brass makes the stub shaft spin more freely than the teflon.If you take yours apart,you will see what Im talking about.Id have to take apart mine again for a pic,which wont happen for a long time I hope.Hope this helps you.

forescott
10-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Nice! I like the new cooling hose routing, and especially the water exiting the fake exhaust ports.

LarrysDrifter
10-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Ran the boat twice today.It stays mostly dry with only about a 1/4 teaspoons worth of water that comes in through the stuffing tube on one side.Much,much better than before.I did flip it the 1st time out and the hatch tape failed.(Always does).Got quite a bit of water that time.It runs very solid and close to the water with the batteries in the sponsons.Ran the 38mm props today.Water was smooth.I didnt GPS it though I should have.Im considering selling my 380 9XL's and jackets.Thinking about 540's.Arc has some that are 4 pole and I think 2800kv for a little hotter 4s set up.

ray schrauwen
10-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Ran the boat twice today.It stays mostly dry with only about a 1/4 teaspoons worth of water that comes in through the stuffing tube on one side.Much,much better than before.I did flip it the 1st time out and the hatch tape failed.(Always does).Got quite a bit of water that time.It runs very solid and close to the water with the batteries in the sponsons.Ran the 38mm props today.Water was smooth.I didnt GPS it though I should have.Im considering selling my 380 9XL's and jackets.Thinking about 540's.Arc has some that are 4 pole and I think 2800kv for a little hotter 4s set up.

I have a pair to go in my EKOS hull when I get time to build it... Very nice motors & Fiegao black water jackets fit 36mm cans. I hope they do.... lol.. I should try them again to make sure...

scubasteve95
10-25-2010, 10:56 PM
are you guy having any problems with the cf-40 props?
i shreded 3.
put the 442's on and no probs yet with twice as many runs.

LarrysDrifter
10-25-2010, 11:50 PM
I never bought the cf-40 props.From the sounds of it,forescott hasnt had problems,but only he can atest to that.I run the 38mm from Kintec and 442's.Ive heard of people shredding non metal props,so me being paranoid,I dont buy or run them.Even though metal props cost more-especially when you lose them.

LarrysDrifter
10-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Have you upgraded your EKOS yet scuba?I never saw anything on here and I remember you were saying something about 10xl's a while back.

scubasteve95
10-26-2010, 11:22 PM
YES SER....
posted in 4s like butter thread a couple ago.
she screams now and stays cool for the duration of the packs
approx.12-15 mins(5000mah 20c) top speed 58 ish average speed
56 ish,,,flipped a few times untill i gotter trimed up but now she moves out
corners great and stays stable enough for me to race my buds
the 10xl & 442's were the ticket for me..i'll post some vids and pics in a little.
how are you doing after the crash?
she looks good!
stick with the 38's and the 9's at these speeds she still handles
good in the chop with out having to back off at least in the puddle
i run in....

LarrysDrifter
10-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Ill check out your thread.Would like to see the video too.I got it fixed and strengthened at the same time.I posted some pics on here a page or 2 back from this one on this thread.