PDA

View Full Version : EKOS Rudder- What to do?

FighterCat57
07-08-2010, 03:14 PM
This is the second one that I've broken off as there is no way to make it break away and I seem to be a turtle killer.

I'm really not sure what to replace it with. If the V-Tail thing works, I'll just remove it, but what to do in the mean time?

Buy another one? (not really liking that idea)

Rumdog
07-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I'd buy a speedmaster rudder that actually breaks back like r/c boat rudders should.

FighterCat57
07-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I'd buy a speedmaster rudder that actually breaks back like r/c boat rudders should.

Which one?

VIKOS
07-08-2010, 06:38 PM
What the hell did you hit lol. I have a second rudder and mount from venom that I ordered for what ever reason I have none but...good to know I have one. Be careful when running in shallows or with objects in the water. Your lucky the hull lived to see another day.

FighterCat57
07-08-2010, 06:55 PM
What the hell did you hit lol. I have a second rudder and mount from venom that I ordered for what ever reason I have none but...good to know I have one. Be careful when running in shallows or with objects in the water. Your lucky the hull lived to see another day.

Just a turtle. But I was doing about 50.

The other boats just break the nylon break away bolt. Not a big deal. Well... except for the time I ran out of Nylon and used a stainless screw... I broke the bottom of the hull out of Das Boot! :doh:

The last time I broke one it was in an oyster bed when I ran wide. This thing is top heavy with two 4s packs in place!

FighterCat57
07-08-2010, 06:58 PM
For your entertainment; here's a video of the incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gebkevN-EgY

gebkevN-EgY

I really need to get a new camera. Really...

VIKOS
07-08-2010, 08:18 PM
that quality is nice on that camera what you talking about..did you kill the turtle lol.....turtle killer is what you should name the boat...shes moving nice..wow. Is that wire drive..I need to buy some of those when I get my 10xl's seems everyone likes them...well is the bottom of the hull ok..

FighterCat57
07-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Yeah the vid quality is good, it's just in it's own world and doesn't respond to commands after a few minutes... and the date is always wrong. Even if I program it in, it messes up after the first vid.

I was running the stock cables, as the wire drives are in Das Boot. A few mph slower actually, only 51 today. The hull is OK, no damage besides the rudder mount.

LarrysDrifter
07-08-2010, 10:06 PM
This is the second one that I've broken off as there is no way to make it break away and I seem to be a turtle killer.

I'm really not sure what to replace it with. If the V-Tail thing works, I'll just remove it, but what to do in the mean time?

Buy another one? (not really liking that idea)

My EKOS rudder mount is very loose.The screws just thread into fiberglass.Theres no backing plate.So,my idea is to remove the mount and take to a local guy with a machine shop to see if he can or will make one out of aluminum thats a little thicker and make a backing plate for the bolts to thread into.A break away design would be ideal but I dont know of any as Im not very familiar with aftermarket hardware.

VIKOS
07-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Now I see why they sell hulls alone cause rip that out. You won't be s rewind it back in

FighterCat57
07-20-2010, 01:39 AM
Got the new rudder, it's small, light and efficient and was only like $10.

I patched up the holes that the old water pickups ran through and installed some bottom pickup water lines. It get's complicated under the hatch.

VIKOS
07-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Looks good. Rudder looks more cut thru the water design. Nice and if lighter than stock should help the servo out too.

King of Chaves
07-20-2010, 09:33 PM

I patched up the holes that the old water pickups ran through and installed some bottom pickup water lines. It get's complicated under the hatch.

were did u get ur rudder from?

befu
07-20-2010, 11:45 PM
I have the smaller version from HOR on ebay on my 1/16 shovel nose, they are nice. make sure you put in a nylon bolt, mine came with two stainless bolts. the shear one is just really small, think I will tap it out to take a 3mm nylon bolt like my others. Buy them in a box of 100 at a time from McMasterCarr.

brian

VIKOS
07-21-2010, 01:21 AM

wait a minute ur doing those speeds on stock nylon props..wow mine just sheer right off from power on 4S:laugh:

scubasteve95
07-21-2010, 01:39 PM
that is a nice rudder...looks like a quality piece...
also looks smaller then stock..hows she turn?
10.00 bucks that a steal..

scubasteve95
07-21-2010, 01:40 PM
almost forgot,looks killer with the 540's

FighterCat57
07-21-2010, 02:49 PM
eBay, you can search for more; this is the model; http://cgi.ebay.com/Aluminum-rudder-fast-electric-87mm-blade-height-/300417231701?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item45f2432b55#ht_1640wt_911

I caught one at auction quite a while back for cheaper. It's not an exact fit, you have to drill the holes on the transom closer together and nut the inside. Which can be done, but it's tricky getting nuts and washers inside the hull. I removed the servo and battery tray/Rx to do it.

It's the same height as the stock rudder.

scubasteve95
07-30-2010, 01:58 PM
eBay, you can search for more; this is the model; http://cgi.ebay.com/Aluminum-rudder-fast-electric-87mm-blade-height-/300417231701?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item45f2432b55#ht_1640wt_911

It's the same height as the stock rudder.

stock is 95mm this one states 87mm
just wondering.
does look good but i need a water inlet.

scubasteve95
07-30-2010, 02:03 PM
My EKOS rudder mount is very loose.The screws just thread into fiberglass.Theres no backing plate.So,my idea is to remove the mount and take to a local guy with a machine shop to see if he can or will make one out of aluminum thats a little thicker and make a backing plate for the bolts to thread into.A break away design would be ideal but I dont know of any as Im not very familiar with aftermarket hardware.

are you sure it goes in just fiberglass?
mine came stock with a thick metal backing plate....
i know this because i had to drill through it to mount
my new aeromarinerc rudder(with break-away).

FighterCat57
07-30-2010, 05:44 PM
stock is 95mm this one states 87mm
just wondering.
does look good but i need a water inlet.

It's a little smaller, but turns the same as far as I can tell.

It's sharper and thinner, so should be less drag too.