PDA

View Full Version : Turning issues - Shockwave 26 Brushless

Visual Perfection
07-07-2010, 10:52 PM
A little bit on my shockwave..

when the turn fins were left as they came from the factory (pointing straight down) the boat would slow WAY down turning and was under a lot of load, which I assume is due to the drag of the fins.

So I adjusted them by tipping them up and away from the back of the boat, (when looking from the side, the bottom of the fin is now further away and less of the fin is in the water) if that makes sense...which in turn created less drag and speed increased, but now the boat hops while turning and I am afraid one of these times when it hops the fin is going to dig in and grab and flip the thing..so I have been slowing way down to turn which is no fun :laugh:

I didnt like how it handled with the turn fins stock, and now it hops, so I am looking for any suggestions on how to fix this, since I know very little compared to you experienced guys on here and maybe I adjusted them wrong or something.

Sorry I can't get a picture of it at the moment..the boat isnt at my house right now being I have been running it up at my families place and left it there to use this weekend. :doh:

Thanks for any help!

Jesse J
07-07-2010, 11:26 PM
does it look real wet on the turns? it could be your strut attitude or trim tabs (if it has any) that causes the excess drag. I usually have the turn fins as deep as the vee and angled back like you are saying.

Visual Perfection
07-08-2010, 11:01 AM
It doesnt have any trim tabs..the boat is tuned just about perfect for straight line..I have adjusted the outdrive angle many times until I got it just right.

As far as it running wet..I will get back to you next time I run it. I can't really remember. All I know is a boat should lean through the turn and go through it no problem..but when mine starts to lean the turn fins seem the stop it and make it bounce.

Before when they were in the stock position you could tell they were grabbing but it never bounced..maybe I need to turn them down a bit as I have them too high now?

GeoVW72
07-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I believe it has to do with the out-drive angle more than anything else.
I have yet to touch the turn fins and I seem to recall it bouncing at one point.

we are dealing with a steerable out-drive

kinda new to boats so :confused2:

SweetZ28
07-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Hi this video may help you tune your boat watch it he explains what he did to the boat to make it work better than out of the box form.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2BQzREK0AY

Visual Perfection
07-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi this video may help you tune your boat watch it he explains what he did to the boat to make it work better than out of the box form.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2BQzREK0AY

that is a real good video, but what he adjusts is the angle of the outdrive to help with the cavitation problem he had. I have my boat set up perfect as far as cavitation, how the boat rides on the water etc.. it's just this darn turning issue lol

Maybe I am just being too picky..

SweetZ28
07-08-2010, 04:42 PM
that is a real good video, but what he adjusts is the angle of the outdrive to help with the cavitation problem he had. I have my boat set up perfect as far as cavitation, how the boat rides on the water etc.. it's just this darn turning issue lol

Maybe I am just being too picky..

Stll by lowering the rear turn fin and playing with the angle this will affect handeling ...in fact you my not have yours set up correctly causing the rear of the boat to:
A. Ride to hight out of the water
B. Ride to deep wet

Both these will indeed affect handeling.

Visual Perfection
07-08-2010, 10:48 PM
I will monkey with it some more..just figured the turn fins played the biggest role in the problem but maybe if I make some adjustments and keep testing it I will figure it out.

SweetZ28
07-08-2010, 11:02 PM
the rudder it'self on this boat because it steers with the prop turning that makes it not handel as well as a seperate rudder and drive.
this is why i switched everything on my apache 24

Jesse J
07-09-2010, 12:13 AM
I will monkey with it some more..just figured the turn fins played the biggest role in the problem but maybe if I make some adjustments and keep testing it I will figure it out.

Now I am curious if your turn fins might be bent, or COG a little forward. I know the Rio EP has a tendency to hook on turns out of the box, maybe this one too...

I am gonna try to finagle one of these guys from the LHS to play with and get running good. I was struck by how flat the vee is... it aint gonna turn like the Rio EP, but more like the Widowmaker. It will be hoppy.