PDA

View Full Version : Finally got her back on the water!!

LarrysDrifter
07-04-2010, 02:05 PM
:banana:I rebuilt my EKOS with the help of some people on here.Thank you all very much.Im running 380 9XL's with Seaking 120 speedos and Turnigy 4s 4000 mah with venom 36 mm props and the stingers set at 0 degrees.My 1st run yesterday was 47.2mph with 32mm props and -4 degrees.Then one of my wire drives let go-it broke off in the Octura collet.Dont ask me how.Hopefully Jeff will help me out on this one.Luckily the wire stayed in the hull do I got to keep my new pro machined prop.For now I put the stock couplers in after honing them out so the 1/8 motor shaft fits.And put the stock flex cables back in too.This morning I flat sanded the sponsons? or transoms?,put on the 36mm props and let her eat to 50.1mph.I also removed the stock water pickups and installed 2 dual water pickups in the floor of the hull.(Thanks for the idea forescott).I re-epoxyed everthing that venom half-as#ed.Took the motor mounts out and opened up the holes for the collets.(Thanks Bill Oxydean).Installed 4mm 90 degreee water nipples in the motor mounts for extra cooling in case its needed.Took the battery tray out and layed down velcro for the rx and batteries.I also used the fake exhaust pipes for my water outlets by removing them and dropping in 5.5 bullets with the center drilled out for a 5/32 brass tube them soldered it all up.Looks pretty sweet seeing the water come out the quadruple pipes instead of the sides.I also put some foam in the hatch and epoxyed the windshield edges for added insurance.All the water lines are 1/4 o.d. and neatly as possible tucked in for a clean look.My max temps for the 50mph run was-108 for the motors,105 for the speedos-98 for the batteries and thats plus or minus a degree or 2 for side to side differences.Not bad at all.Now I want to go faster.Kinda.Except it flipped once running against the wind.I think 50 is good for this hull.She rides on the last inch or so of the hull and handles good.This was my 1st "build", or should I say overhaul of an FE boat.It turned out nice,runs fast,and stayes cool.I want to thank everyone who has helped me.I couldnt have done it without you.Im not too computer savvy so Ill have to get my wife to post pics of it in the next day or so.I have a newfound love of my EKOS.By the way when I velcroed the floor I made SURE to cover the venom logo and word up front.Now if I can figure out how to put these little smile icons with my posts.

Jeff Wohlt
07-04-2010, 02:40 PM
I forgot you were using octura couplers when I pm'd you That is odd. Not sure why that would happen unless something got tight in the strut. Does your motor flex up and down at all? Sure I can hlep you out. You can send it back and I will fix it and try a new wire.

LarrysDrifter
07-04-2010, 02:56 PM
I forgot you were using octura couplers when I pm'd you That is odd. Not sure why that would happen unless something got tight in the strut. Does your motor flex up and down at all? Sure I can hlep you out. You can send it back and I will fix it and try a new wire.

Thanks Jeff.I threw the package away that had your address on it.Will you give me your address?And do you want both wires and couplers back?Only the 1 is bad.I still have the pvc pipe too so Ill put the wire and coupler in there.The coupler might still be good.Just a piece of wire in it.The motor dont flex at all.I made a rear support for each motor so I know they dont bounce up and down.Everything is solid.Im thinkin about ordering your couplers with the set screws too just because the Octura ones are a pain to tighten.But I want to give these a chance too.Thanks for responding.