PDA

View Full Version : Turnigy batteries - quality problems

BHChieftain
07-03-2010, 01:01 AM
I ordered 4 packs of 2S1P. One of them has a dead cell

Also ordered 2 packs of 3S1P. One of them also has a dead cell

Ordered from Hobby King, took 3 weeks to arrive.

Very disappointed...

Chief

Fluid
07-03-2010, 02:49 PM
While this is probably not yet common, several club members have received packs with dead or soon-dead cells in them. With the high cost of mailing packs back to China, I imagine that HK counts on many of their customers just not asking for replacements packs because the cost can be almost the same as buying new packs. Hopefully as they transition more of their inventory to US warehouses this won't be such an issue. Yet another reason to buy from US distributors. Some have costs almost as low as HK.

BHChieftain
07-03-2010, 03:02 PM
While this is probably not yet common, several club members have received packs with dead or soon-dead cells in them. With the high cost of mailing packs back to China, I imagine that HK counts on many of their customers just not asking for replacements packs because the cost can be almost the same as buying new packs. Hopefully as they transition more of their inventory to US warehouses this won't be such an issue. Yet another reason to buy from US distributors. Some have costs almost as low as HK.

Yep. Once again, the old addage applies: "You get what you pay for"

-Chief

egneg
07-03-2010, 03:34 PM
It won't take long for word to get around if a lot of packs are bad and sales will plummet. So I think it would be in their best interest to resolve any issues.

Doby
07-03-2010, 03:46 PM
I've had dead cells on "Brand Name" packs....it happens.

Brod
07-04-2010, 02:37 PM
It won't take long for word to get around if a lot of packs are bad and sales will plummet. So I think it would be in their best interest to resolve any issues.

:iagree:

LiPo Power
07-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Right!!!
Just like some of our brand name ESC's.....

I've had dead cells on "Brand Name" packs....it happens.

sailr
07-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Check out the Hyperion packs at www.empirerc.com and then contact me for killer prices only for the guys here on OSE. Are they more than Turnigy? Yes. But they have a good warranty, are here in the states, and definitely the best quality packs I have ever seen. That's why I became a dealer for them.

I have received 2 out of 5 bad packs from HK in one order. Never again. I'd rather pay more and get quality and have an easy recourse to return them if necessary.

Fluid
07-04-2010, 10:04 PM
I agree, the Hyperion G3s I've seen and used are very good packs. Several club members buy them exclusively. I have three packs, but sadly I didn't buy them from Jim. Next time....

BakedMopar
07-05-2010, 12:01 AM
HK has had bad packs for a long time now. People still will buy them. It's hard to beat the price. You can get two for the price of one "name" brands.

Jim I may be looking for some G3s I will give you a holla if I decide to take a plunge.

Jeepers
07-05-2010, 12:38 AM
I agree, the Hyperion G3s I've seen and used are very good packs.

I agree, I have some Hyperion 4200 35c packs that I run in my N2 sport hydro in a 2s2p setup, they run really strong and come in cool. I then tried some Turnigy 4500 40c packs in the same boat and they come in hotter and the boat performs good but not as well as the Hyperion packs.

BHChieftain
07-05-2010, 01:21 AM
I also use hyperion g3 and really like them. The only issue I have is they are a little long and would not fit in my fastech unless I were to cut out the battery trays, whereas the turnigy packs fit well ( they are too think for the tray but I glued in some retaining straps, and I don't need to cut out the trays)

Chief

crabstick
07-05-2010, 01:50 AM
I haven't had a bad pack from HK yet, Just got 4 nano tech turnigys and they are all well balanced and seem to charge ok.

ozboater
07-05-2010, 02:06 AM
i ordered 10 X turnigy 2s 5000 30 ? C... 6 for me and 4 for a mate... we did a random pick of the 10 and 9 were real good... i got one with a mediocre cell and it still rips half decent.. holds voltage ok and is what i call much better than nimh... 9 outta 10 in my case and i say i m happy enough..

Steven Vaccaro
07-05-2010, 09:18 AM

now that they have a US warehouse, items should be able to be returned to that location. Thats what I would request, if I was a customer with an issue.

sailr
07-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Unfortunately, they have very few items in that US Warehouse. I suppose it will grow in time.

Steven Vaccaro
07-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Unfortunately, they have very few items in that US Warehouse. I suppose it will grow in time.

But as a customer with a defective product, we are only asking to return the items to their closest location. Not have items sent to us from that location.

sailr
07-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Great idea. If they would accept the bad stuff at the US warehouse that would be good.

But as a customer with a defective product, we are only asking to return the items to their closest location. Not have items sent to us from that location.

Flying Scotsman
07-05-2010, 07:40 PM

Interesting, this speaks volumes about their QC practises. I have purchased only TP batteries in the past and just placed an order for some Turnigy 5000mah 35C 4S1P...the proof will be in the pudding and the freight cost was high, as I suppose they are now following regulations for dangerous goods.

Douggie

v_dub1968
07-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Just bought 4 turnigy 1300 25c 3 cells batterys 2 of them came puffed. i have never had a lipo puff in my life and im old. i cant believe they sent me 2 already bad. wasnt worth returning to them thats the bad thing about hongkong batterys

FastVee
07-23-2010, 08:59 AM
I have 2 20/30c hardcase 5000mAh ones, one was hot when I opened the package...shorted. Opened it and resoldered the wires better, it works but takes a while to balance when charging...:thumbsdown:

Also got 2 30/40c 5000mAh hardcases(all are black cases) ,one had the balance lead soldered wrongly, positive on negative and negative on positive... soldered it and it works ok.

For the price they are ok(ish), but you need to have some diy spirit in you.

but the packs shorting on airplane is not very safe for the passengers I belive....:doh:

veenendaal62
07-26-2010, 02:44 AM
are the real dead? or is the voltage to low (your balancer says the cell is dead but it is not,the voltage in one cell is to low)
i had this manny time`s wit turnigy ,it is not a real problem,just charge the lipo like a nihm cell (no balancer) on 2 amp (not to long) try after a while or your balancer says it is oke and charge him with the balancer ;-)

LiPo Power
07-26-2010, 10:31 AM
I drain one 2S 5000mAh 7.4V lipo all the way to empty just to see if I can recover this unit and charged slowly at 1Amp for a while to bring cells voltage to little over 3 volts and after that normal lipo charge at 5 Amp with balancer. This batery is working perfect!

forescott
07-26-2010, 11:59 PM
I have about a dozen turnigy packs that all work great. Just got 2-more in the mail today. They are perfect. I would hate to see turnigy's quality go downhill. I think they are a great buy.

andym
07-27-2010, 03:33 AM
Never had a problem with the 40c packs and have just received two 45c nano packs, ran them today and have a noticeable performance increase , great for the money

BHChieftain
07-27-2010, 09:52 AM
I drain one 2S 5000mAh 7.4V lipo all the way to empty just to see if I can recover this unit and charged slowly at 1Amp for a while to bring cells voltage to little over 3 volts and after that normal lipo charge at 5 Amp with balancer. This batery is working perfect!

I'll give this a try, thanks,

Chief

Kris Flynn
07-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Anyone see issues with the packs (5000mAh Tunrigy 40c) running awsome for 2-3 mabe 4 laps then seems to drop off about 4ish MPH???
This is in a UL-1 Setup in an outboard....

Cheers
Kris

Chilli
07-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Funny you mention that because I have noticed that after the first few laps, I get a bit of a speed drop off with my 4S 40C-50C 5000's. Thats in my UL1 powered JAE rigger. I'm going to hopefully get a pair of the 45C-90 Nano packs within the next month and give them a try. Then start collecting some Hyperions over the winter.

Overall I thing the Turnigy's are a great sport or budget race pack. My only complaint is the battery lead insulation could be a bit tougher.

mschaffer66
07-27-2010, 11:08 PM
I've decided I'm calling it quits on the Turnigy batteries. They seem to be fine for car applications, but in boats they just don't seem to handle the abuse.

cybercrxt
08-02-2010, 09:14 AM
I am close to switching all future packs to hyperion as well. I just had 4-6cell flightmax 5000mah 30c packs come in for my 1/8th scale, 1 balanced, 2 of them I am still trying to balance, and 1 had a dead cell. I removed the cell, it was mushy and read 0.00 volts. I am going to order a 2 cell pack and rebuild the 6cell pack. After that, I think Hyperions will be a must. Mike

sailr
08-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Remember, the Hyperions are already the "Nano" technology. They have been out for several months and proven to be outstanding batteries. Best part is they are warranted right here in the USA!

We are a hyperion dealer. We offer a discount to OSE members. You need to PM me for a quote. The packs are NOT on our website.

Chilli
08-02-2010, 10:44 AM
PM sent Jim.

Ronbo
08-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Well, I got my packs today from HK. Turnigy 4500 and 5000 2s1p. 3 of the 4 packs the balancer reads both cells, but one 5000 only reads 1 cell. put on charger and thankfully it reads 2s1p, but voltage was around 5.6 or so. it quickly came up even on 1C. May need to watch this pack. Im bringing it up to 7.7 to match the other, then charge them both at same time. I think Ill deal with the website that has them in the US after reading the horror stories. fwiw

egneg
08-04-2010, 04:45 PM
I have a 4S/5000 pack that always had balance problems but the voltages have always been good. I have used it hard (racing) all season with no problems.

ms71171
08-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Add me to the list. Just got 2 3S 5000Mah 25C Turnigy packs and right in the middle of the first run with them, boat goes dead. Put it on the charger and during battery check says "Connection Broken".

I got a return authorization and since I bought them in the US warehouse, I hope, but doubt I'll be able to return them state side.

I'm done with Turnigy as well.

LiPo Power
08-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Try with no balancer and low voltage as NmH for few minutes and when the voltage will get up a little just put it back for regular LiPo charging with balancer....
It should fix the problem.... Make sure to monitor....

Add me to the list. Just got 2 3S 5000Mah 25C Turnigy packs and right in the middle of the first run with them, boat goes dead. Put it on the charger and during battery check says "Connection Broken".

I got a return authorization and since I bought them in the US warehouse, I hope, but doubt I'll be able to return them state side.

Brushless55
08-18-2010, 11:58 PM

I've bought about 20 packs from HC and I did have one out of the group that went dead like yours in my brushless Revo.. come to find out it was a tap that the solder joint was bad.. I spent about 2min for fix the pack, and now it works great
real easy fix :thumbup1:

Ronbo
08-19-2010, 01:08 AM
After I charged the pack some, I was waterproofing and setting up the boat. I tried to see which one didnt read on the blinky. Well, now its registering on the blinky. wiggled wires and still fine. Ill still be monitoring these packs tho..

ms71171
08-19-2010, 01:16 AM
I've bought about 20 packs from HC and I did have one out of the group that went dead like yours in my brushless Revo.. come to find out it was a tap that the solder joint was bad.. I spent about 2min for fix the pack, and now it works great
real easy fix :thumbup1:

So you cut open the pack?

gartman
08-19-2010, 11:22 PM
My 1000 mAh 3c 11.1v 25c lipo batt. in my 26" Boat swells up after a run. I'm running a Fiego 7L 3511kv motor with a Caste Creations Hydra 120 esc . I'm new with RC Boats :help: Please

johnf
08-19-2010, 11:31 PM
1000 mah? Sounds like the problem lol

Brushless55
08-19-2010, 11:32 PM
My 1000 mAh 3c 11.1v 25c lipo batt. in my 26" Boat swells up after a run. I'm running a Fiego 7L 3511kv motor with a Caste Creations Hydra 120 esc . I'm new with RC Boats :help: Please

Welcome! :hug1:
one question, how long are you running your boat?
also, that's a small battery for a boat that big with that motor

crabstick
08-20-2010, 01:46 AM
hahaha 1000mah!

Lucky it hasn't caught on fire tbh. Not a quality issue with the battery in this case..

Is it a 540 or 380 sized motor?

sailr
08-20-2010, 07:57 AM
I'm amazed you haven't flamed that 1000mAh lipo! That motor must be pulling WAY more than that battery can handle. Sounds to me like you should have at LEAST a 3000mAh batt in there...maybe more. 26" boat will certainly handle the size and weight.

How long are your runs....1 minute? ;-)

Pete32200
08-29-2010, 09:36 PM

He has got to be Messin with everyone on this.....there is no way he could have run that at all !!!

Pete32200
08-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Received 6 lipos from Hobby King today, 2 4s 4000mah nano-tech's, 2 2s 4000mah nano-tech's and 2 2s 1550mah Rhino's

all six are fine and UPS shipping from Honk Kong to Pennsylvania took less than 3 days including the weekend....Ordered friday evening and the UPS man delivered them Monday morning !!!!

Shipping was $43.00 but divided by 6 Batts thats only $7.16 per Battery for Super fast shipping !!

Brushless55
08-30-2010, 07:57 PM
that is sweet! :thumbup: