PDA

View Full Version : BL BJ26 First Looks and Performance

FE_Chris
10-14-2007, 02:20 PM
OK. I got one! I went to the LSH this morning with a hunch, and sure enough, there she was. The only one they had and had gotten in. I took it!

Anyway, it looks pretty good. The motor has a nice cooler, and what can i say I even like the tupperware like radio box. The ESC is much larger than the AC esc, even though it has the same specs......Lots more heatsink on this one.

The battery trays are kinda up high. I am going to remove them so I can fit my 10K lipo's in it. My 4350 PQ's fit just fine.

The steerable outdrive looks like...well it looks like it will work. But thats about it. Kinda sucks there when you burn the u-joint out, you have to get a whole new cable.....O well...it's a sport toy.

Anyway, I just got every screw checked, set the ESC up, installed my Futaba 2.4Ghz RX and I went out the door and much to my surprise it's raining...not just alittle but it's gonna be raining all night....Damn.

Got a few pics of the rig and one of the damn rain on the wind shield incase anyone thaught I was just scared! lol....Gonna maybe work on her a little more tonight. But for 3 bills it looks good. I am hoping it is going to keep up with a SV27....

SJFE
10-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Dude ya had me all excited. Looked like you had run it by the title.. Looks good..The motor mount look a little small hu?

FE_Chris
10-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Yeah I was all excited too then I got rained out! :cursing: Ahh well...tis the season. Sorry man, did'nt mean to ruin your evening :laugh:

The mount IS a bit small....but it's thick....I should take some better pics...here ya go.

I also sealed the hatch, and ran my antenna out the back. Now it's a real FE boat. Maybe ProBoat is to new to know part of FE boating is having sealed boats! There is only the one hole on top of the hatch like the SV27...tape is a permanent seal no problem. Same with the radio box. one hole, all sealed.

The back of thr hatch, as one pic shows is held by magnets. Kinda usless to me cause I am a tape the hatch up kinda guy!!!! but some people might like them...

Still raining.......... :glare:

PS- I put the velcro in for the battery's...there was none in the boat stock.

NorthernBoater
10-14-2007, 03:52 PM
What kind of radio does it come with?

FE_Chris
10-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Proboat (JR) AM 2-Channel Pistol Radio. Which is for sale actually. 20$ shipped.

Doozie870
10-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Wow!! There needs to be a class built around this boat immediately! Maybe the motor/esc could be used in other boats as well. Im off to the lhs on monday :D

FE_Chris
10-14-2007, 06:01 PM
I have'nt ran it yet....But I say let them run in the SV27 class! Our clubs's LSO and LSH are going to the SV27 motor as spec. Inital testing is gonna confirm if this thing can be raced with the real boats. I also have the last race of the season to attend (my 2nd race, I found them late) and I will see if they will let me race with the SV's....My club's all about cost affectove racing so everyone can join. So I hope this is'nt X'ed off cause it does not have a SV27 motor....if it is maybe someone will want to trade motors :D

Wow!! There needs to be a class built around this boat immediately! Maybe the motor/esc could be used in other boats as well. Im off to the lhs on monday :D

Doozie870
10-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Well the way I see it, if its any threat to the SV27 or the motor/esc, they will attempt to shut it down as soon as possible. Look at the the classes that are under attack now, the 700s... Why? There is no money left in it.. PERIOD.. You can by a 700 drill motor for $13 bucks and have a ball. In fact I have proposed making it a spec. motor for over a year now, not lining the right pockets I guess.. :doh:

FE_Chris
10-14-2007, 09:30 PM
I here ya....Your right. Brushed and cells are cheap. Drill motor, 13$, used jeti 600 40$, ebay find for 12 cells 50$. = 103$

SV motor 50$, ESC 70$, lipos 100-200$ = 220$ MINIMUM!

I see your point, but I like brushless, and the SV motor IMO has more balls than a 700 motor. As far as I can see it does anyway. Not a lot, but atleast it's something for the money. And I gotta be honest with ya, I was kinda hoping to run a 700 boat at our club....but not now..

I can't wait to get this thing out on the water! Maybe tomorrow night, if not tuesday.

mr.mauian
10-15-2007, 12:49 AM
I know a Bj thats doiung over 50 mph on gps at our local pond. Some mods done to it but dam does it move. Of course it is not the stock motor. Ask Tunda, he knows !!

Steven Vaccaro
10-15-2007, 04:07 AM
Well the way I see it, if its any threat to the SV27 or the motor/esc, they will attempt to shut it down as soon as possible. Look at the the classes that are under attack now, the 700s... Why? There is no money left in it.. PERIOD.. You can by a 700 drill motor for $13 bucks and have a ball. In fact I have proposed making it a spec. motor for over a year now, not lining the right pockets I guess.. :doh:

That's simply a false and outrageous statement. There are three boat businesses that support racing in the USA(there are other people but this doesn't pertain to them).

I'm fully behind the 700 motor classes.
Ray Fuller who never really pushed a 700 motor.
Chris Fine who is now into cars.

So who's pocket isn't getting lined?

Steven Vaccaro
10-15-2007, 04:11 AM
In fact I have proposed making it a spec. motor for over a year now, not lining the right pockets I guess.. :doh: You are proposing it where? To forum members? Put it on paper and send it to namba. They will submit it for a "member" vote. Not opinions like you will get on a forum. I would certainly vote in favor for it and I'm sure others would.

FE_Chris
10-15-2007, 03:41 PM
OK guys, off to the pond here in a few! My boat is stock except for I am running 4s1p lipo, and no turn fins. O yeah, and I greased the BONE DRY shaft....That might help a little ;-)

FE_Chris
10-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Well I ran it! I took fresh pics to document my setup exactly. Cause it's stock :smile: This thing FLIES! I mean, it's no 50MPH boat. But she does 30 minimum I would say. it's SV fast for sure. I ran her with 4s1p lipo, no turn fins, and my radio. I ran WOT for about 3 minutes, but I did not turn very sharp. it seemed to dig a little even at low speeds. I was alone at the pond and it's to cold to swim. I just would go WOT for about 5 seconds, slow down and hammer it for the same thing again. She jumps right out of the hole. No problems here. plenty of get up and go. The ride was on very slight chop. The boat runs nice and flat and very DRY. I kept the COG at the factory setting with my battery's and it seemed perfect. 8-9 laps and I brought it in for a looksy.

The boat was bone dry inside! Not one drop of water! Motor, ESC, Battery's all cold. Not warm, but cold. The water is pretty cool nowadays, but still. they should have been warm. this tells me one thing....I need to find out what the stock prop is here and find a metal one with more pitch so I can hit 40 with this stocker!!!!! I'll be testing the crap out of her this next race in less then 2 weeks! maybe even race it for the LSO sv27 class if they say it's legal enough!

The steerable I/O unit everyone like to complain about. But the bottom line is it works, it's cheap, and it works pretty good. Don't turn to sharp and it doesn't vibrate to much at all. At slow speeds, the boat maneuvers like a villain EX. On a dime 360's. and once again, hit the gas and it jumps out of the water, almost no cavitation at all.

Radio box is OK. kinda brittle. Get one and you'll see what I mean. but it works good and serves it's purpose, even if it is a bit cramped.

The Motors water jacket is machined from what looks like anodized aluminum and seems to work well. No leaks, and a cool motor.

All in all, IMO it's a great deal for under 300$ just like the AC SV27 brushless. Buy one, you'll have fun without a doubt! :thumbup:

SJFE
10-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Great work your doin man. VIDEO & GPS ...lol

webdr
10-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Hi, new here with the BRBJ.

Could anyone tell me some info about the motor? All I know is it's name; a3630-1500 but what kv is it? Is it a 6 pole motor?

I also took off the fins and ordered the aeromarine offset rudder/strut/autobailer combo. Hope it will make this already fast boat a little faster.

Darin Jordan
10-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Hi, new here with the BRBJ.

Could anyone tell me some info about the motor? All I know is it's name; a3630-1500 but what kv is it? Is it a 6 pole motor?

Just a guess... but based on the numbering scheme... I'd say it's likely 1500KV... I'm guessing as well that it's likely one of these: http://www.maxxprod.com/pdf/HB3630-xx00.pdf

Anyone have the actual dimensions they could provide?? If it's the one in the .pdf above, then it's 36mm long and about 54mm long...

How easy is it to turn by hand?? Not sure on the number of poles...

webdr
10-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Not very easy to turn, it takes six "clicks" for one full rotation of the motor. Does that mean it's a 6 pole motor?

FE_Chris
10-16-2007, 05:31 PM
The manual to that Motor says that the 1500 motor is a 1606kv motor, but the website says it's a 1500kv motor :huh: . Looks about like the one I have right here in the BJ. I don't have calipers or a metric ruler to measure the motor. Sorry.

It turns like a SV motor, hard. Somone up above said 6 clicks to a full turn, maybe that means its a 6 pole motor.

Just a guess... but based on the numbering scheme... I'd say it's likely 1500KV... I'm guessing as well that it's likely one of these: http://www.maxxprod.com/pdf/HB3630-xx00.pdf

Anyone have the actual dimensions they could provide?? If it's the one in the .pdf above, then it's 36mm long and about 54mm long...

How easy is it to turn by hand?? Not sure on the number of poles...

webdr
10-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Anybody found out what octura prop is the best fit for the stock one?

The manual says 1.34" by 2.06"

Doozie870
10-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Picked mine up today, surprised with what I got for an rtr boat.
The motor dimensions are roughly 36.37mm and 53.6mm with cheapo calipers.

FE_Chris
10-16-2007, 09:00 PM
sweeeeeeeeeet! you have lipo's to run? GPS? My GPS is a honker....so I am not very inclined to use it.

Picked mine up today, surprised with what I got for an rtr boat.
The motor dimensions are roughly 36.37mm and 53.6mm with cheapo calipers.

Doozie870
10-16-2007, 09:28 PM
I have lipos, but forgot to get the really trick program card for the esc, so I will probably just run some well used 3600s for the test run on sunday. If she doesnt flip like her chinese sister, we may just have a winner! :buttrock:

FE_Chris
10-17-2007, 02:54 PM
I am going to the LSH here in a minute to pic my programmer thingy up. I ran without it. I just did anout 8 laps or so and that was it. My 4350 packs where at 7.75 volts and again, everything was luke warm or cool....very nice..