PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered my new blue Titan today!! Thinkin' about what batts to get?

Checkmateguy01
06-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Just put my order in on a blue Titan today, it's gonna be a long wait i know. But in the mean time, i'm tryin to decide on what batteries to get. You all know i'm a stuck on NiMh's guy, i have never run Lipo's. At first i was just gonna get me a set of DTX5000 7-cells, but now i'm thinking maybe it's time for lipo's. 6s is out of the question right now, way too fast for the lake i run on. I was thinkin about gettin a pair of 4500 or 5000 mah 2s (that would be 4s correct?) lipo packs, either Turnigy's, or i've been looking at the Duratrax lipo packs too. How much slower would the boat be with 4s instead of 6s?? High 30's to low 40's is as fast as i wanna go, so what do you guy's think i should consider for batts??

Visual Perfection
06-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Definately go lipos.. I just did and don't know why I wasted $50 on 2 really good NIMH's a month ago.

The lipos just plain rock, and I just bought 3 more today lol.

If you don't have a charger for them yet, this is the inexpensive charger I am getting that is spoken highly of from what I have read, especially for the price.. it is the thunder AC6

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

Maybe steven sells it here on OSE to, I didnt check since I simply asked for it as a gift, if he does defintely get it from him!

And on 4s I would definately think High 30's low 40's is very possible..since the boat isnt out yet We don't know for sure obviously, but I would assume so.

Turnigy seems like the cheapest route... you can get 5000mah 2s hardcase packs from Hobbycity for $23 each...for 2 of them shipped my totals were in mid 60 price wise..didnt pull the trigger though, since i just purchased a few from a member on here. I would recommend checking on here first even..you can get some great deals from members who want to help others out!

Good luck!

Checkmateguy01
06-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the info. Today i was talking with a a co-worker of mine that runs nothing but Lipo's in r/c cars and trucks and said the switch was very easy. I got the info i was looking for, as in proper charging/balancing, i think i got it figured out. But, here's a question i have, how much of a difference (generally speaking) in performance/run time would u see between a 4s lipo set-up (two 2s packs) and a 14 cell NiMh set-up (two 7-cell packs) with the same MAH rating's?? Thanks!

Visual Perfection
06-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Lipos are going to give a big increase in punch and speed.

here is a comparison of a Nimh to Lipo in my shockwave..this should give you a very good idea of the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irrxxvKeBKQ

As for run time, the Lipos will generally give you slightly less run time being the boat is putting out more power. But the power is going to be so much better you won't even care!

dana
06-29-2010, 05:31 PM
yeah i have a thunder ac6. awesome charger...so good in fact i just bought another one. the price is ridiculously low on these things. my local hobby shop have the venom equivelent for 120.00. i mean cmon now...55 bucks and does the same thing. plus comes with a crapload of adaptors and plugs

Checkmateguy01
06-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Lipos are going to give a big increase in punch and speed.

here is a comparison of a Nimh to Lipo in my shockwave..this should give you a very good idea of the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irrxxvKeBKQ

As for run time, the Lipos will generally give you slightly less run time being the boat is putting out more power. But the power is going to be so much better you won't even care!

Cool video, you can see the difference. So you're looking at realistically about a 3-5 MPH increase with 4s lipo's over 12 or 14 cell NiMh's. Hmmmm, i thought maybe it would be more. But i'm still probably gonna go with the lipo packs since i have to buy new batts for the Titan anyways. What C rating should i go for? Since it looks like it's a pain to get Turnigy's right now i'll probably just order some from Tower, but there are a million choices, i have no idea which ones to go with. I've been looking at the Duratrax 4000mah 2s 25C packs, are they worth the money? I was also looking at SMC Sport Max 2s 28HC packs, they're about 15 bucks more than the Duratrax batts. I'm open for suggestions!

Rumdog
06-29-2010, 10:02 PM
The speed difference will be very different in different boats. Trust me, the nimh's are gonna get real hot in that Traxxas boat! Check out this site For really good lipos and free shipping: www.rclipos.com ...oh yeah, don't be a wuss. Get the 3s packs!

Rumdog
06-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Go ahead and throw up a WTB ad in the swap shop too. I bet you may find some good packs from somebody here!

Doby
06-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Got mine last week, just need the boat now!:thumbup:
Qty 6 Turnigy 3S, 5800's 25-35C

Can you spot them in the mix??

chummer
06-29-2010, 10:33 PM
What's the matter with you!:biggrin: Are you paranoid Hobby King is going to stop selling lipos:Peace_Sign:

Visual Perfection
06-29-2010, 10:44 PM
Cool video, you can see the difference. So you're looking at realistically about a 3-5 MPH increase with 4s lipo's over 12 or 14 cell NiMh's. Hmmmm, i thought maybe it would be more. But i'm still probably gonna go with the lipo packs since i have to buy new batts for the Titan anyways. What C rating should i go for? Since it looks like it's a pain to get Turnigy's right now i'll probably just order some from Tower, but there are a million choices, i have no idea which ones to go with. I've been looking at the Duratrax 4000mah 2s 25C packs, are they worth the money? I was also looking at SMC Sport Max 2s 28HC packs, they're about 15 bucks more than the Duratrax batts. I'm open for suggestions!

I would think you will see a bit more than I saw...4s is going to pack a LOT of punch remember, it is not just the speed increase it is the fact that the Lipos will give you full, all out power until it is time to quit, where as my very high quality NiMh's give me good power for the first couple minutes but they slowly drop off the longer I run...also look how my boat jumps out of the water on take off..that in itself just made me giggle every time it happend that day. 5mph doesn't sound like a lot, but it is. NiMh is a dying breed of batteries...Lipos are the future and the same price roughly, so not going Lipos from the start is only going to cost you more down the road..trust me I now know.

For the lipos to get...get something with at least a 25c rating...I would get even higher though...higher isnt going to hurt anything, and it won't cost you all that much more.

Also would suggest going with a 5000+mah rating as the longer run times will mean more fun time for you.

Search around the Swap Shop section here...you will be able to find some great buys, or even start a WTB thread of your own to see what you can find. I have bought ALL my lipos from members on here so far. (5 of them) some only used a couple times, some brand New. You might even get a set of 3s packs for what you would pay for 2s packs elsewhere, which would only mean more fun for you!

I think you will see probably 30-35mph on NiMH packs, and more like 40-Low 40s and huge giggles from you on out of the hole take offs on 4s Lipos with some tweaking etc.. again this boat is new and we know nothing about how it REALLY runs, or how it benefits from different props etc.. It's all about having fun and learning as you go...I just suggest you learn as you go with Lipos from the start!

Visual Perfection
06-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Got mine last week, just need the boat now!:thumbup:
Qty 6 Turnigy 3S, 5800's 25-35C

Can you spot them in the mix??

I don't think you have enough batteries :bounce:

Checkmateguy01
06-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Thanks for help man, i really appretiate it! I'm gonna look around, i figure i got probably a month (i hope) before the Titan will show up, so that'll give me time to get my ducks in a row and get some Lipo's. I will also run my Dumas (avatar pic) on lipo's too, if all goes well. As far as 2s or 3s packs, i'm stickin to 2s packs for now, not becuase i'm afraid of the speed, when i raced nitro boats years ago i ran 50 mph cats and tunnels, and a 70 mph rigger, but i would'nt dream of running anything that fast on a populated lake with peoples beaches, docks, and boats all around, 40 or so will do just fine!

lomdel
06-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Where did you order the Titan from? What is the expected delivery date?

sailr
06-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Set up the Titan for 4S. Some people run them in P-Mono and get speeds high 40's, low 50's with a NEU 1515/1Y. WATCH your prop! Too big can cook things but then you probably know that already since you have run nimh in the past.

I run a DF33 with the NEU, Castle 240LV or Seaking 180, 4S2P. That is TWO 4S packs in parallel, NOT two 2S in series! YOU WILL NEED THE CONTINOUS AMPS!

Doby
06-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Isn't P-Mono length restriction 33"?? (I think)

sailr
06-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Maybe I misunderstood? The Titan I know is the Aeromarine. 29" hull. Is there another titan?

GeoVW72
06-30-2010, 10:28 AM
4s is going to be about the same speed as the box setup. they are using two 7 cells to achieve 30 mph. lipos will be slightly slower than the peaked nimh but they will run consistently. you can always run it in sport mode at 50% with 6s, or limit the throttle with traxxas's new radio.

don't even touch duratraxx. there have been documented cases in the rc car world of their cells being the cause of several mamba monsters failure. mamba even added not to use their cells in the manual.

I already have two smc 3s 20c 8000mah on order. I can get them for about $90

Doby
06-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Maybe I misunderstood? The Titan I know is the Aeromarine. 29" hull. Is there another titan?

I think this thread is about the Traxxas Titan....or at least I thought it was.:confused2::laugh::confused2:

sailr
06-30-2010, 11:47 AM
:eek:DUH! My bad. Musta been lookin out my bad eye! Sorry 'bout that!!!:doh:

Rumdog
06-30-2010, 01:37 PM
4s is going to be about the same speed as the box setup. they are using two 7 cells to achieve 30 mph. lipos will be slightly slower than the peaked nimh but they will run consistently. you can always run it in sport mode at 50% with 6s, or limit the throttle with traxxas's new radio.

don't even touch duratraxx. there have been documented cases in the rc car world of their cells being the cause of several mamba monsters failure. mamba even added not to use their cells in the manual.

I already have two smc 3s 20c 8000mah on order. I can get them for about $90

4s is going to run much better than the stock NIMH cells!

Checkmateguy01
06-30-2010, 02:58 PM
I think this thread is about the Traxxas Titan....or at least I thought it was.:confused2::laugh::confused2:

Yes, i'm talking about the new Traxxas Titan, lol sorry about the confusion, i didn't know there was an Aeromarine titan boat too!