PDA

View Full Version : Motors

toledo
06-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Recently, someone posted that xls' tend
to crack in rough water due to motor bend.
How about using 380 l instead. Are they stronger
than oem and not break?

vasy
06-27-2010, 08:24 PM
not motor bend but rather front end bell pop out. This can be easily solved with a motor support at the back of the motor. 380L will have less torque compare to X Lbut will probably have less of an issue with bouncing as it is lighter. I'd still put one in even on the L if for nothing else but insurance, no reason not to have it. I see a lot of other boats use support for the back of the motors as stock.

VIKOS
06-27-2010, 10:48 PM
The stockys don't have back support....I'd pivot the motors down more on the motor mounts...as you can see the holes are actually oval not circles so fine tuning the way the motor sits is achievable. I keep mine as low as possible.

vasy
06-28-2010, 12:08 AM
The stockys don't have back support....I'd pivot the motors down more on the motor mounts...as you can see the holes are actually oval not circles so fine tuning the way the motor sits is achievable. I keep mine as low as possible.

True, but they are smaller. It could also be to the design of the motor. I think if the front end bell of the Feigao was threaded like many others it would hold better, but it is not and possible that some are crimped better than others so one Feigao motor will last better compare to another. The condition of the water would also play a huge factor as only in a rough water is where you would have this issue.

VIKOS
06-28-2010, 12:41 AM
Well I run in rough water with stockys no problem. Or at least rougher than a still pond conditions with no problems. Guess I'll see when I get them I guess