PDA

View Full Version : possible lipo fire situation??

RIPFENCE
06-27-2010, 11:46 AM
:confused:i woke esc up this morning and i had forgot to unplug my 7s lipo from my swordfish esc in my boat...i went to attempt to charge the lipo on my hyperion 720 but its not reading my cells properly when it does its check..i resoldered connectors on both the charge leads and the lipo...and it has not made a difference..its only reading 7.8 volts for a 7s lipo is not good..do i have a ticking time bomb here?..the strange thing is it seems that the battery voltage is rising slowly..in "data view" on my charger the voltage is creeping upwards...can someone figure this one out? i do not know enough about lipo chemisrty..i have charged three other batteries today so i suspect the battery is the problem

thanks all

RIPFENCE
06-27-2010, 11:48 AM
and no i am not selling anything i posted..sorry guys i am in the wrong section selling a fire would be interesting though

785boats
06-30-2010, 03:29 PM
How long was it left plugged in to The ESC?
Can you measure the voltage of each cell with a Voltmeter or Voltage checker?
Sounds to me as if the cells are discharged to about 1.1V/ cell.
Since the load was very small they May be ok.
I've salvaged a pack that was down to 1.2 V/ cell before under those conditions.
Cheers.
Paul.

RIPFENCE
06-30-2010, 06:06 PM
hi paul,

i manage to trick my hyperion charger into thinking it was a 3s lipo and charge up real fast and then a 4s a nd 5s and so on until it read the voltage correctly for 7s ...it did charge real fast to get to each of those pointss too...i have not run the batttery since i hope it is ok...that was really strange though:confused2:

785boats
07-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Good to see it took on a charge.
Before you use it in a boat under a heavy load, I would discharge it down to about 3.8V/cell first on 5 Amps & then do another balance charge.
Then, when you run it in a boat only discharge down to about 3.8V/cell again & check to see if the cells are still balanced before you charge it again.
This should show up any suspect cell.
Keep a close eye on it for a while.
All the best.
Paul.