PDA

View Full Version : Metal props

VIKOS
06-27-2010, 10:23 AM
So ran the boat with 4s yesterday. Ran fast for 100yds then it seemed like I lost a shaft. Come to find out 36mm stock props sheered off. All that was left was the base lol. Anyone know where I can get counter rotating and clockwise shafts. OSE don't sell both. Venom is out of stock. Even 2 blade will be fine or 3 blade. Doesn't matter. I was about to put QuickDraw and zoonio engines to shame but had to stop due to no more props. This happened every time I installed the stock plastics. Want to run 36mm also on 4s. Motors are running good with cool down passes.

forescott
06-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Yeah, those plastic prop blades will fly right off on 4s. Too much rpm. I would recommend the cf-40, but they will burn up the stock motors. If you can get ahold of a pair of venoms 32 or 36mm machined props, that would be the way to go. They are a little pricey but are nice props and dont need to be sharpened or balanced.

vasy
06-27-2010, 11:23 AM
towerhobbies.com has 32mm props in stock, good for 4s setup :)
The 36mm they only have right one in stock, left listed as late June.

VIKOS
06-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Ok the 40's would be fine. See no issues with the motors even with the horror stories. But I lube my motors with electric spray. I'll check the 32's but that seems to be a Lil small. What about the aluminum instead of the machined. Those are like 32 bucks each. And I'll be damned to loose one or a shaft and loose those. Anyone know any sites to check with left and rights.

vasy
06-27-2010, 11:47 AM
aluminum will have to be balanced.

forescott
06-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Ok the 40's would be fine. See no issues with the motors even with the horror stories. But I lube my motors with electric spray. I'll check the 32's but that seems to be a Lil small. What about the aluminum instead of the machined. Those are like 32 bucks each. And I'll be damned to loose one or a shaft and loose those. Anyone know any sites to check with left and rights.

I have the 32's and get over 50mph on 4s. They are nice props.

forescott
06-27-2010, 11:54 AM
aluminum will have to be balanced.

If you buy the red machined props they do not need sharpening or balancing. If your talking about the raw aluminum ones then yes they do.

forescott
06-27-2010, 11:55 AM
They are actually both aluminum.

VIKOS
06-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Ok. That makes no sense the reds are balanced and the aluminum are not. Kinda pointless don't u think. Well then I guess I'll ve ordering 3 sets of the machined props as I have no balancing machine. If they all get lost then whatever I guess. But I'm gona order my 10xl or 9xl's or which ever handles 4s an 5s lipos.

VIKOS
06-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Ok props on order. Is there a difference from running 32 over 36 mm props. Won't it take
more rpms to run the 32. Or are the 32 better than the 36 due to over heating and load on the motors.

LarrysDrifter
06-27-2010, 10:25 PM
So ran the boat with 4s yesterday. Ran fast for 100yds then it seemed like I lost a shaft. Come to find out 36mm stock props sheered off. All that was left was the base lol. Anyone know where I can get counter rotating and clockwise shafts. OSE don't sell both. Venom is out of stock. Even 2 blade will be fine or 3 blade. Doesn't matter. I was about to put QuickDraw and zoonio engines to shame but had to stop due to no more props. This happened every time I installed the stock plastics. Want to run 36mm also on 4s. Motors are running good with cool down passes.

I bought 32 and 36mm pro machined aluminum venom props from kintecracing.com.They are the red ones that dont need sharpened or balanced.They have both sides and both sizes in stock as well as the stock junkers.

VIKOS
06-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks already ordered two sets of the 32mm..I hope the 32mm will still work out ok..but 50mph not on the stock motor right? If so thats pretty damn fast if you ask me...how tight do you guys actually tighten your prop nuts...seems you gottah tighten way more than just hand tight..cause just torque alone will cause it to fall right off if you ask me. I'm also gona try some twin blades see what I can get out of those if anything...friend of mine who owns a boat hobby shop found some in the back lying around. About 15 of them

forescott
06-28-2010, 01:00 AM
Ok props on order. Is there a difference from running 32 over 36 mm props. Won't it take
more rpms to run the 32. Or are the 32 better than the 36 due to over heating and load on the motors.

Correct on both points. It will take more rpm to get the same speed on the 32's compared to the 36's. However the 36's may not spin to their max rpm due to the larger size. I have had better results from my 32's than my 36's. But my testing was done on ammo 2700kv motors. I never got a chance to use the venom machined props on the stock motors.

forescott
06-28-2010, 01:02 AM
Thanks already ordered two sets of the 32mm..I hope the 32mm will still work out ok..but 50mph not on the stock motor right? If so thats pretty damn fast if you ask me...how tight do you guys actually tighten your prop nuts...seems you gottah tighten way more than just hand tight..cause just torque alone will cause it to fall right off if you ask me. I'm also gona try some twin blades see what I can get out of those if anything...friend of mine who owns a boat hobby shop found some in the back lying around. About 15 of them

I try not to over tighten my prop nuts because I find that once you start wrenching them down the drive dog starts to slide up the shaft. I just use blue lock-tite and snug them.

VIKOS
06-28-2010, 11:38 AM
Ok I'll use some locktite to hold the screws in. Place. Hope they are strong enough to hold locktite. So the motors will actually spin higher in the powerband which may create heat or will it be better cooling instead.

VIKOS
07-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Well go my pro machined props in today. Gona go home after work tonight and charge my 3s and 4s packs. Installed the 32mm props and used blue loctite on the prop screw. I noticed that the pro nuts from venom won't fit on jeffs shafts. There's still a large gap. Good think I ordered 2 sets of those from Jeffs shop. Installed hopefully that locktite works. Have another left but the right is being shipped as we speak. Very big difference with the machined props to the regular aluminum. There balanced the others are not. Wish venom had told people. We will see if these motors can handle the 4s. I better not loose a prop. I will shat myself.

forescott
07-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Well go my pro machined props in today. I better not loose a prop. I will shat myself.

:roflol:You should be fine! Goiod luck with the motors! I hope they hold up! The machined props are nice, arent they!!

VIKOS
07-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Yeah kinda don't want to use them other than on the boat for display lol. But this thing was made for hauling a$$ so that's what she'll do. Plus cas boat props are in the hundreds so don't feel so bad. Anyone try a 4 prop yet on a cat. I see the bigger boats using it. Or would this ve way to much torque for these boats. I gear they like to cut thru the water

forescott
07-03-2010, 11:08 AM
I would think more blades means more motor load. The full size boats are running 5-blade props, but they are producing loads of torque, and are only running around 6k rpm.

VIKOS
07-03-2010, 05:13 PM
True true. Ran today on 3s then flushed motors with cold water. Motors where cool. Esc never gets above warm ever. The batteries where a bit warm but I think that's just from the Caribbean sun. Then I put in the 4s. Wow is all I can say. Took two hard passes then a cool down pass then repeated. Boat was a bit sloppy due to water conditions. Flipped once not going fast. Hull tape is amazing. I say at least 40mph on 32mm machined props and rcracingboats flex shafts and motor coupler. The water cooling tubing kept coming out so cut 1/4 ran great. Don't think I'll go more than 4s. Took a vid but long due to me jumping in the water for boat. Will take another. Gas boats and nitros here have no chance. Maybe due to water conditions but give me a calm day and it's over. Props stayed on due to blue locktite lol. Can't wait for 10xl's and bigger props say 36mm and turnigy 180A esc. And additional cooling. Boat held up on 4s. It's those that WOT that seem to damage their boats. Remember at top speed I don't think your getting as good cooling as half speed. But then my cooling tube came off. I did notice that they work. Water was shooting straight up in the air about 7 feet above the boat. Thought the rudder cooling screw had came out.

VIKOS
07-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Does anyone think removing the antenna and making it internal would cause the signal to drop. Also noticed that the plugs to receiver the right motor side red wire isn't being used. There's no connecting pin. Left side has one. So seems one battery does servo. One battery does receiver. When batteries reach there cut off it's almost impossible to turn making it a slow haul back to the driver.

forescott
07-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Then I put in the 4s. Wow is all I can say. Can't wait for 10xl's and bigger props say 36mm and turnigy 180A esc.

380 xl's are a whole different animal on the ekos. You wont need 540's. Youll get 50mph easy. And the 120amp esc's are plenty big enough.(even for 540's) The turnigy/seaking 180's are much bigger than the 120's and you will have trouble fitting them in the hull. Glad to hear your motors survived 4s!

VIKOS
07-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Lol me to still want to order the xl's and I guess turnigy 120's. Any issues running them with the receiver. Can u still tune the esc from the transmitter. Sucks that most of these components die out with normal use. Less than a year I hear motors,esc etc.

forescott
07-04-2010, 10:48 AM
The turnigys just plug into the stock "Y" harness.

forescott
07-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Programming is identical, using the transmitters. All the settings are the same.

forescott
07-04-2010, 10:51 AM
My esc's always worked fine for me until I started using bigger props. I think the ekos would fare better with something in the 80 amp range. Those little motors pull more amps than you think, especially when you start propping up!

VIKOS
07-04-2010, 03:49 PM
So keeping say at 32mm at 4s is fine on the stock 60amp esc. 120 amp esc work with say 40mm metal props then. But I'm sure run times are decreased. So for best speed and run time the 32mm seem the way to go. How long do those turnigys last say if I ran every weekend. Lifespan in motors and esc are short. Even being brushless you'd probably do better with brush motors.

LarrysDrifter
07-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Does anyone think removing the antenna and making it internal would cause the signal to drop. Also noticed that the plugs to receiver the right motor side red wire isn't being used. There's no connecting pin. Left side has one. So seems one battery does servo. One battery does receiver. When batteries reach there cut off it's almost impossible to turn making it a slow haul back to the driver.

The RX can only get power through one battery.Thats why the red wire is cut.If you power the RX with too much voltage itll burn up instantly.Since these boats are made for all people they cut the wire.The right way is to unplug it and put heat shrink over it and tape or zip tie it out of the way.So,Id say its cut because somone with no experience might plug it in and then blow the RX.Im not exactly sure but I think the nominal voltage for a RX is 6 volts.So I guess if you run say two 2s lipos then it would be over powered since one battery is 7.4 volts.Maybe the RX has a step down voltage regulator.Not quite sure but it works.And I wouldnt mess with the antenna.Just leave it or buy a Tactic system that has no antenna and use an antenna tube plug(the little black cap you put on top of the tube)over the antenna mount on the hull.Hope that helps.