PDA

View Full Version : settings for swordfish....

adamb
06-25-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm running 12 nimh cells in my cat and my swordfish esc hit the lvc after less than a minute after the boat hit the water. I brought it in and thought the batts had dumped but nothing was warm. I hooked the esc up to my pc and its set at "2s 6.0v". What should i set it at for 14.4v nimh? Also I'm running an 8xl 2072kv motor. I'm curious as to what the timing and PWM rate should be set at? thanks!

Diesel6401
06-25-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm running 12 nimh cells in my cat and my swordfish esc hit the lvc after less than a minute after the boat hit the water. I brought it in and thought the batts had dumped but nothing was warm. I hooked the esc up to my pc and its set at "2s 6.0v". What should i set it at for 14.4v nimh? Also I'm running an 8xl 2072kv motor. I'm curious as to what the timing and PWM rate should be set at? thanks!

Not familar with nimh on this esc. Motor timing try middle, PWM try 8KHz. Hopefully this helps. I would assume you would need some really good nimh packs for the lvc not to hit.

Manual Information for others to who maybe able to help.
Option 1:Auto Lipo Auto Lipo Cells Detecting
Option2:6.0V(default) 6-8 cell NiCad or NiMH packs, or 2 cell Lithium packs
Option 3:7.2V 8 cell NiCad or NiMH packs, or 2 cell Lithium packs
Option 4:8.4V 9 cell NiCad or NiMH packs
Option 5:9.0V 10 cell NiCad or NiMH packs, or 3 cell Lithium packs

GeoVW72
06-26-2010, 01:38 AM
As far a my experience with brushless, lvc, and nimh; you should turn it off.
As long as the nimh cells are of good quality there is no problem.
I come from the car world and have heard of some race vehicles, even those running lipos, where lvc has kicked in during high load situations. In any event why do you need lvc when you are running nimh?
The only thing lvc does is prevent lipos from being damaged due to over discharging

Diesel6401
06-26-2010, 01:46 AM
As far a my experience with brushless, lvc, and nimh; you should turn it off.
As long as the nimh cells are of good quality there is no problem.
I come from the car world and have heard of some race vehicles, even those running lipos, where lvc has kicked in during high load situations. In any event why do you need lvc when you are running nimh?
The only thing lvc does is prevent lipos from being damaged due to over discharging

There is not an "LVC OFF" setting on this ESC that I know of, not even an option on the programming. We understand how the lvc works with lipo's.

adamb
06-26-2010, 08:29 AM
There is an auto setting on the LVC. Im going to try that

sailr
06-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Use option 5 which is for 10 cell (12V) nimh. Your pack is 12 cell if it is 14.4V. Option 5 is as close as you can get. Cutoff for NiMh is normally 1V per cell I think? So you should be OK at Option 5 setting. Don't OVER use the pack though as it will dip below the safe 12V level before cutting off and could damage some cells. Just be conservative with your running. When the boat just starts to slow, bring it in.

Diesel6401
06-26-2010, 10:34 AM
There is an auto setting on the LVC. Im going to try that

I think auto is a lipo only setting, may not work well with nimh. Try what sailr suggested first, he knows his stuff.

adamb
06-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Will do! thanks guys!

adamb
07-02-2010, 03:47 PM
I ran the boat today. Ran roughly in the low 20's. Needs more prop. Thanks for the help guys!