PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon 700 vs Neu 1515-1521?

vasy
06-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Has anyone tried Typhoon 700 series of motors for the boat applications?
They seem to rate their motors at very similar watt levels at around 1/2 the price.
Typhoon also offers a wide range of KV.

http://shop.turbofanelectrics.com/product.sc?productId=251&categoryId=33
http://shop.turbofanelectrics.com/product.sc?productId=245&categoryId=33

any thoughts?

m4a1usr
06-25-2010, 01:47 PM
They look like the ARC or Tenshock motors. The 700-98-840kv from its Io has got to be a "wye" motor. But you are right. The price looks good and free shipping dont hurt either.

John

vasy
06-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Don't know, could be re-branded, I was wondering if some one tried.
I tried Rc Lander 36mm motor for their EDF plane in my boat and it was awesome. 1300 watts spinning x642 continuously with no issues on 4s.

vasy
06-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Funny part is that 700-68 is same size as Neu but rated at a bit more power (150 watts extra continues) and 83mm is same size at 1521 but rated at 150 watts less then Neu. Wonder if the jacket will fit.
If it is an ARC motor, are those any good?
From my experience with smaller Typhoon motors, they are fantastic! I fly them in my EDF.

vasy
07-29-2010, 01:09 PM
So 700-83 arrived and got mounted into the mono.
Did 2 runs on 6s and all worked well, will need to do some tweaking to get the setup right.
Motor seems to work well so far. I did not take it apart to see the inside as i don't even know what to look for

With this Leopard vs Neu I wonder why none tried this but are jumping all over leopard? :confused2:

If Typhoon are just re-branded ARC or Tenshock motors is it a bad thing? Are ARC or Tenshock motors bad quality or any other feedback?

Darin Jordan
07-29-2010, 01:12 PM
I find it very telling that everytime a new motor comes out (Leopard, Scorpian, Typhoon, etc.), they always get compared to Neu....

Hmmmmm.... ;)

vasy
07-29-2010, 01:15 PM
I find it very telling that everytime a new motor comes out (Leopard, Scorpian, Typhoon, etc.), they always get compared to Neu....

Hmmmmm.... ;)

Well, one wants to know how are they against the best :buttrock:
If you compare them to KB45 almost every motor will look excellent.

Typhoon has been around for a long time and I've been using them in the EDF planes with great success, I just don't think many/any have tried it in the boat.

Darin Jordan
07-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Well, one wants to know how are they against the best :buttrock:
If you compare them to KB45 almost every motor will look excellent.

Typhoon has been around for a long time and I've been using them in the EDF planes with great success, I just don't think many/any have tried it in the boat.

I think it's great to have less expensive options... I think there are quite a few motors out there that people haven't considered yet. For example, the current line of 1/8th scale RC buggy motors (Losi, etc.)...

The Losi, for example, is pretty sweet. 4-Pole, like a Neu, very well made, with 8mm shaft and bearings, turned down to 5mm on the output. Basically like a Neu 1515 1Y... Killer!