PDA

View Full Version : Miss Geico - Speed Estimates?

RareBear
06-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Can someone kindly comment on the top speed of this particular boat, along w/ stability?

I currently have a Traxxas Titan on order, but am being pulled hard by this boat, as the video of it running in the water looks very good - very scale look on how it handles at speed.

The Titan (on 6S 22.2V) is supposed to run at 50 m.p.h. - wondering if the Miss Geico will be close to this number, or more like in the mid 30's?

Any feedback would be very helpful, although I know no one has this boat just yet, so "guesstimates" may be the only info available, which I would be happy to hear.:smile:

Thank you for your help!:thumbup:

v-spec
06-23-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm going to guess at this but with the stock prop which I read (i think) is similar to a Prather 215 and an 1800 KV motor on 4s I would say maybe 40-43 stock or around that range not 50 though at least not stock? Not sure the Traxxas will do 50 as claimed either though time will tell?

I love proboat but I would not even consider buying this cat or any other proboat model over the Titan for sport boating. Traxxas has unparalleled customer support and are just plain awesome!

And if they don't modify their current warranty program http://www.traxxas.com/support/index.php?action=artikel&cat=131&id=361&lang=en&suchbegriff= how could you go wrong?

or upgrade program http://www.traxxas.com/v2/powerup/

johnf
06-23-2010, 05:05 PM
In the video, assuming its stock, it looks more like a 30s boat. (in stock trim of course)

Darin Jordan
06-23-2010, 05:16 PM
In the video, assuming its stock, it looks more like a 30s boat. (in stock trim of course)

Videos are made for marketing purposes, to highlight the boats looks and features. I don't know how one would expect to judge top speed from one.

The Miss Geico does not have the 1800KV motor... it's the "1500KV" (in reality, it's 1625 or so) from the BJ26.

Hull is cleaner, has way better geometry, and has a wider tunnel/stance than the BJ26 does, and it's also a bit longer. It's going to be capable of better performance... that was the idea.

Out of the box, I'd expect at least upper 30's... With a prop change... I have no doubt I could get this boat into the upper 40's in oval race trim, and much faster for straight line passes... I know... because I've done it when testing this boat. Heck, my BJ26 powered OPC Tunnel has registered consistent laps showing 50-53mph with a decent prop that would almost allow it to corner well too.

I've said it before, I'll believe 50 on the Traxxas when I see it...

I would expect that most of these RTR packages that we are seeing today based on this motor type/size and 4S Lipos are capable or right around 40mph out of the box...

AndyKunz
06-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Darin,

YGM. (Gotta love working here!)

Andy

johnf
06-23-2010, 05:26 PM

Videos are made for marketing purposes, to highlight the boats looks and features. I don't know how one would expect to judge top speed from one.

Out of the box, I'd expect at least upper 30's..

Geez D, you could have been a little nicer about telling me I was right!

haha, JK!

:beerchug:

v-spec
06-23-2010, 05:33 PM
I've had the proboat motor and esc in pretty much everything I've owned at one point or another it's really a great setup and I've also had it in the upper 40's with the right prop. Handling was a bit rough with such a big prop on 4s but I expect that.

The Geico looks great and just from looking at it it's obvious it's much better boat when compared with the BJ26 that aside I just don't think the proboat has as much to offer compared to the Traxxas Titan.

Darin, I know you are a racer but 95+% of the people that will be buying either of these boats will never race it let alone probably even run it with another boat at all. And if the street price is similar I just don't think Proboat can compete.

Darin Jordan
06-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Geez D, you could have been a little nicer about telling me I was right!

haha, JK!

:beerchug:

I was nice... just long winded! ;)

RareBear
06-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Awesome info, and greatly appreciated. As for the Titan, it sure looks like 50 m.p.h. capable on 6S, but as said, that will be seen once some Titan's get in the water.

I'm seriously torn, here; the Titan looks great for what I want - sport/race boat for a large lake w/ mild chop, but the (3) Titan videos I have seen seem to show a decent amount of "chine walk," which can be expected in chop. This is no "big" deal, but the Miss Geico looks very planted in the water, and looks "very scale" as it pushes through the water - such a tough choice.

Darin, since you have drove this boat, would you know if the below 4S batts would fit in the hull in parallel, and if so, would the weight be fine for general sport/race trim?

http://www.helidirect.com/hyperion-3300-mah-148v-35c65c-lipoly-pack-p-13260.hdx

Again, many thanks for all the help!

Darin Jordan
06-23-2010, 05:40 PM
The Geico looks great and just from looking at it it's obvious it's much better boat when compared with the BJ26 that aside I just don't think the proboat has as much to offer compared to the Traxxas Titan.

Darin, I know you are a racer but 95+% of the people that will be buying either of these boats will never race it let alone probably even run it with another boat at all. And if the street price is similar I just don't think Proboat can compete.

Interesting take...

We'll have to see.

johnf
06-23-2010, 05:43 PM
I was nice... just long winded! ;)

No worries D, you have always been helpful! Just had to mess with ya.

I'm seriously torn, here; the Titan looks great for what I want - sport/race boat for a large lake w/ mild chop, but the (3) Titan videos I have seen seem to show a decent amount of "chine walk," which can be expected in chop. This is no "big" deal, but the Miss Geico looks very planted in the water, and looks "very scale" as it pushes through the water - such a tough choice.

Do like I plan to and get both!

Darin Jordan
06-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Darin, since you have drove this boat, would you know if the below 4S batts would fit in the hull in parallel, and if so, would the weight be fine for general sport/race trim?

It's been awhile since I've had one in my shop, so I don't have the boat to measure it. As I recall, there was quite a bit of room around the packs, but again, I don't want to speculate.

RareBear
06-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Darin - thanks for the info; hopefully they will fit, as I have several 4S batts around, and if I get the Geico, it would be nice to use existing batteries, instead of buying more.

John - I would love to get 3!! Stiletto, Titan and Miss Geico - problem is, I would probably end up in the doghouse with Miss Geico, as my wife would flip out, and that lizard isn't all too easy on the eyes! :D

Guess I'll just have to wait & see - Titan won't be ready till August (more than likely), so hopefully a few Stiletto's & Geico's will hit the water w/ some feedback to make this painful choice a bit less demanding. :)

johnf
06-23-2010, 05:55 PM
John - I would love to get 3!! Stiletto, Titan and Miss Geico - problem is, I would probably end up in the doghouse with Miss Geico, as my wife would flip out, and that lizard isn't all too easy on the eyes! :D

hah! Funny you say that. The only thing my wife liked about the miss gieco was the lizard on top! She thought it was funny. Guess she isn't a cat fan.

AndyKunz
06-23-2010, 05:56 PM

Having worked in a hobby shop and manufactured racing ESCs for 10+ years, I know you're probably right on those points, but the other side of it is that 95% of the guys buying something "racy" will opt for the one that is "race-ready" over something that's designed for "sport" users. An awful lot of guys spend time on these forums and elsewhere and they know what the racers are running, and want to run the same thing.

How many of us actually get to do most of our playing with somebody? Most of my time in model boats has been either alone or with one of my kids. Very rarely was I able to actually race a peer - usually only one weekend a month at my racing zenith 10-15 years ago, and that was only for 4-5 warm-enough months (April-Sept). That's also a large part of why I fly so much - I can do it right out of my driveway all year long, I don't have to wipe everything down afterwards, and I have lots of friends from work to go out with almost every night of the week (weather permitting) and weekend.

Almost all my boats are race boats. Almost all my planes are sport planes.

Andy

RareBear
06-23-2010, 06:09 PM
hah! Funny you say that. The only thing my wife liked about the miss gieco was the lizard on top! She thought it was funny. Guess she isn't a cat fan.

My wife also got a kick out of "Miss Geico" in terms of the lizard on top of the boat. :)

v-spec
06-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Having worked in a hobby shop and manufactured racing ESCs for 10+ years, I know you're probably right on those points, but the other side of it is that 95% of the guys buying something "racy" will opt for the one that is "race-ready" over something that's designed for "sport" users. An awful lot of guys spend time on these forums and elsewhere and they know what the racers are running, and want to run the same thing.

How many of us actually get to do most of our playing with somebody? Most of my time in model boats has been either alone or with one of my kids. Very rarely was I able to actually race a peer - usually only one weekend a month at my racing zenith 10-15 years ago, and that was only for 4-5 warm-enough months (April-Sept). That's also a large part of why I fly so much - I can do it right out of my driveway all year long, I don't have to wipe everything down afterwards, and I have lots of friends from work to go out with almost every night of the week (weather permitting) and weekend.

Almost all my boats are race boats. Almost all my planes are sport planes.

Andy
Hey your right about that! However people walking into a Hobby shop see a big huge shiny Traxxas Box that says "READY TO RACE" however misleading it may be will end up with that boat! That's why Traxxas trademarked the slogan!

AndyKunz
06-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Yes, people still buy box art, no denying. Often it's wives buying a gift, or teens with excess money but inadequate brains.

When the guys who are into it are buying, they read the forums first.

But it's all good!

Andy

Steven Vaccaro
06-23-2010, 08:13 PM

Since neither has been released, we will have to wait and see. But my moneys on a boat designed by someone that builds and races boats and happens to be a perfectionist. Which boat covers that? :thumbup1: The cats the meow!

RareBear
06-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Can anyone comment on the video as the boat approcahes speed - seems like the hull begins to bounce a bit as it reaches top speed.

I have heard one explanation regarding this, saying that this is the point where the boat is transitioning from hydrodynamic lift to aerodynamic lift, and with a few more miles per hour, the boat smoothes out and rides steady at speed. This sound correct?

Any info on this would be very welcome, and thanks for helping this boat newb along! :)

Darin Jordan
06-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Can anyone comment on the video as the boat approcahes speed - seems like the hull begins to bounce a bit as it reaches top speed.

A better explanation for this particular case is that this boat was being run essentially right off the development bench and hadn't been tuned or adjusted at all. They threw in the batteries and went out running...

Also, it has a plastic prop on it here, which will load/unload as the boat runs through changes in the water's surface.

Put on a metal prop, take some time to adjust the balance and strut, and it should smooth right out.

Bottom line: Just tuning.

Step design can also have an effect on this, but the bottom of this boat is fairly straight-forward and doesn't try to do anything fancy with the steps... Steps are NOT as simple as people might think... VERY difficult to design them to work under all conditions.

RareBear
06-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Awesome info, as always - thank you, Darin!

RareBear
06-24-2010, 11:44 AM
If you don't mind answering just a few more questions..........for now :)

In terms of water conditions, you mentioned that the design of this boat was "updated" for rougher conditions; the lake I run at usually has mild chop, but can get a bit more choppy w/ wind - what would you have to say about what type of water this boat can handle?

As for the hull, I have heard previous Pro-Boat hulls have needed work due to warping & so forth - do you see this as an issue w/ Miss Geico?

I'm slightly gun-shy, as I bought a Pro-Boat Apache 24 (low cost boat that is far below Miss Geico), and the QC was pretty off - boat leaked water, motor burned up on 1st run, and the drive shaft was very, very tight. I should have pulled it apart and greased it before running (my fault), but was hoping RTR meant what it said, so I ended up having the Apache stalled in the middle of the lake w/ the wind going the wrong way. :)

Obviously, the Miss Geico 29 is a MUCH DIFFERENT boat w/ high quality, but if you can touch on the QC you saw w/ the boat you ran, I would love to hear it - just wanting to make an informed decision.

Again, thanks for all the help as a prattle on & on!!

Darin Jordan
06-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Obviously, the Miss Geico 29 is a MUCH DIFFERENT boat w/ high quality, but if you can touch on the QC you saw w/ the boat you ran, I would love to hear it - just wanting to make an informed decision.

Again, thanks for all the help as a prattle on & on!!

I haven't received a production sample at this point, so I can't really say at this time. The test samples were really good quality for a RTR, but I'm going to err on the side of caution in saying for sure until I've seen a production unit in person. I expect them to be nice quality for what it is. The entire drive system, hardware, etc., is totally different than the Appache. Please bear in mind that boats like the Appache are designed/marketed as low-cost entry level boats. I believe that some quality can be built into these as well, but cost becomes an overriding factor for the hobby company. I would expect, however, than future models may have some design and hardware decisions made that will lessen the frustration for the novice/entry level boater... :spy: Just sayin'... :Peace_Sign:

As for the design updates for "rougher water"... On the first design, the foward portion of the sponsons were more like the ThunderCat or the Mean Machine in how the ridepads transitioned into the sponsons as they moved forward towards the tips. I asked for some changes that would revise this transition to allow the front to slice through chop, rather than ramping up over it. Also made some adjustment to the side of the ride-pads to reduce the chance of "tripping" in the turns... Both of these updates improved the looks of the hull at the water line as well... though most won't be able to see this, since their boats will be in the water... ;)

RareBear
06-24-2010, 12:47 PM
I haven't received a production sample at this point, so I can't really say at this time. The test samples were really good quality for a RTR, but I'm going to err on the side of caution in saying for sure until I've seen a production unit in person. I expect them to be nice quality for what it is. The entire drive system, hardware, etc., is totally different than the Appache. Please bear in mind that boats like the Appache are designed/marketed as low-cost entry level boats. I believe that some quality can be built into these as well, but cost becomes an overriding factor for the hobby company. I would expect, however, than future models may have some design and hardware decisions made that will lessen the frustration for the novice/entry level boater... :spy: Just sayin'... :Peace_Sign:

As for the design updates for "rougher water"... On the first design, the foward portion of the sponsons were more like the ThunderCat or the Mean Machine in how the ridepads transitioned into the sponsons as they moved forward towards the tips. I asked for some changes that would revise this transition to allow the front to slice through chop, rather than ramping up over it. Also made some adjustment to the side of the ride-pads to reduce the chance of "tripping" in the turns... Both of these updates improved the looks of the hull at the water line as well... though most won't be able to see this, since their boats will be in the water... ;)

Darin - many thanks!! I agree on the Apache, as it is very much an entry level boat, and I should have greased the drive system - would have saved me from getting stranded in the middle of the lake - pic below! Thankfully, a courteous boater was able to rescue me, and once I get a new motor, I will be back at it - this will be my wife's boat to rescue me, if/when I flip my speed boat! :eek:

I'll be looking long & hard at the Miss Geico, Darin - great job on the design, and it's so great to see boats of this caliber available as they are.

God bless - "Rare"

RareBear
06-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Golden Retriever.....................Geico Retriever?:unsure:

My puppy, Allie - not sure if she would bring back the boat in "running condition":biggrin:

hobie
09-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Well, I'm glad I read these threads, cause I was going to get one today, but after seeing the usual proboat quality, I have changed my mind. I've seen a few proboats out of the box, and all of them had problems. And this sounds no different. But, I guess I can only expect as much when they use tupperware for their radio boxes.
Boats looks great, but as far as I've read, that's about all they do.
I was going to get a fastech brushless, but a friend picked up the blackjack 26, second run speed control didn't work. And the radio sucked as well.
Go proboat!
My money is aquacraft, and traxxas. I've never had an issue with ANY aquacraft product. Buy I hear and see nothing bad about proboat.
These forums are a life saver.... Not to mention a penny saver. Cause now I can buy a boat that actually works out of the box, and run it today, instead of waiting till the right parts come in!
I'm not bashin anyone, just saying what I have experienced with these machines before.
And a few of my opinions.

scoota
09-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Well, I'm glad I read these threads, cause I was going to get one today, but after seeing the usual proboat quality, I have changed my mind. I've seen a few proboats out of the box, and all of them had problems. And this sounds no different. But, I guess I can only expect as much when they use tupperware for their radio boxes.
Boats looks great, but as far as I've read, that's about all they do.
I was going to get a fastech brushless, but a friend picked up the blackjack 26, second run speed control didn't work. And the radio sucked as well.
Go proboat!
My money is aquacraft, and traxxas. I've never had an issue with ANY aquacraft product. Buy I hear and see nothing bad about proboat.
These forums are a life saver.... Not to mention a penny saver. Cause now I can buy a boat that actually works out of the box, and run it today, instead of waiting till the right parts come in!
I'm not bashin anyone, just saying what I have experienced with these machines before.
And a few of my opinions.

the only issue with geico is the flex cable , i have a BJ26 thats 3 years old & is still going strong , Aquacraft is good you say , the early SV27s would fall apart and sink out of the box if you didnt rebuild them before running !!! the hulls split at the joining seem ..the water jacket leaked ....

The first gen UL1s had the big issue with the turn fin breaking off !!! & the Caps blowing on the ESCs !!! the water jacket leaked till the upgrade ...

Proboat make a good hull & has a good designer supporting them !!!

All RTR boats have there PROBLEMS & you should read some of the older threads before saying one brand is better than another !!!

Jason...

At the end of the day you miss out on owning a nice boat, your loss hey !!!!

Diesel6401
09-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Yea I agree with scoota on this one. ALL RTR have problems. Mass production sometimes is bad. I haven't put my MG in the water yet, but just seeing stock video and looking over my MG, Proboat hit a homerun on this one without a doubt. This boat does not compare to the BJ in anyway. BJ had some issues with handling, but this one is far superior to the BJ in build quality. I know my SV got re-built to get it to run right and a whole lot of upgrades. $25 flexcable on the MG vs hundreds in my SV. I am not saying the SV isn't good or am I dogging it I love my SV, I am just prooving a point that nothing is perfect not even AQ (dont get me started on the rio esc's). With Grim and Darin steering these companies in design we all will benefit.

hobie
09-05-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm not trying to bash, just expressing my opinion. Plus I'm not talking about old stuff, I'm talking about what's avail today in a rtr. I'm sure it's a nice boat. I'd like to pick one up.
I will say that after all has been worked out on my buddies bj26, it is a nice running machine.
I'm just saying every proboat I've seen hasn't worked properly out of the box.
Now, that being said, I did have the king of shaves, and it was a mess out of the box. BUT, I dd buy the P1. So I can't say much.
I was just allset to puck this boat up, and after hearig about the flex cable I was REALLY disapointed.
Sorry if I offended anyone.
I'm still going to get one.
Just was choked to hear about the newer release having issues already

hobie
09-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Yea, I agree, they will all have issues cause of mass production.
Well, when the hobby shop opens, I will see I any of the 3 they have are correct flex cables, then I will buy it.
I was leary cause of the bj handing, but if you say it's better, I'm sold.
I've wanted to get a proboat for a long time, was waiting for this to come out, just didn't want to buy it and have it sit till the cables were readily avail

Darin Jordan
09-05-2010, 11:26 AM

If it's any consolation to you... it's a REALLY nice quality, wrong flex cable! :roflol:

Bummer that this happened, especially something like this, that really has NOTHING to do with the "quality" of the package itself... Just a stupid parts mixup.

scoota
09-05-2010, 11:27 AM
I just wish Proboat & Aquacraft would sell a hull with hardwear only , so we can choose a MOTOR & ESC package our selves !!!! cause we all want our boats to go faster than the stock set up anyway , i have so many stock ESCs & Motors sitting in a box still brand new LOL

Darin Jordan
09-05-2010, 11:28 AM
I was leary cause of the bj handing, but if you say it's better, I'm sold.
I've wanted to get a proboat for a long time, was waiting for this to come out, just didn't want to buy it and have it sit till the cables were readily avail

I think you will find that most, if not all of them, have the wrong flex. Everyone that ProBoat has checked in stock does at this point.

You guys need to put the BJ our of your minds. The only thing they have in common is the power system which is proven, and up to the task. The rest was a new design from the drawing table up. When you see the two of them together, you'll see... :thumbup1:

scoota
09-05-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm not trying to bash, just expressing my opinion. Plus I'm not talking about old stuff, I'm talking about what's avail today in a rtr. I'm sure it's a nice boat. I'd like to pick one up.
I will say that after all has been worked out on my buddies bj26, it is a nice running machine.
I'm just saying every proboat I've seen hasn't worked properly out of the box.
Now, that being said, I did have the king of shaves, and it was a mess out of the box. BUT, I dd buy the P1. So I can't say much.
I was just allset to puck this boat up, and after hearig about the flex cable I was REALLY disapointed.
Sorry if I offended anyone.
I'm still going to get one.

The UL1 is not old stuff !!!!!!!!!!

Darin Jordan
09-05-2010, 11:31 AM
I just wish Proboat & Aquacraft would sell a hull with hardwear only , so we can choose a MOTOR & ESC package our selves !!!! cause we all want our boats to go faster than the stock set up anyway , i have so many stock ESCs & Motors sitting in a box still brand new LOL

You'll be able to buy the hull as a replacement part, along with all the hardware, etc.

You have to look at if from a company perspective. It costs a lot of money to stock boxed combinations of things, so they have to do what is cost effective for them.

You'll never NOT have a market for all that takeoff stuff, and what you sell it for on the aftermarket is certainly more than you paid for it in the package, so while a hassle, really not that big of a deal in the end.

Can't wait to see what combos you folks find for this hull!

scoota
09-05-2010, 11:47 AM
You'll be able to buy the hull as a replacement part, along with all the hardware, etc.

You have to look at if from a company perspective. It costs a lot of money to stock boxed combinations of things, so they have to do what is cost effective for them.

You'll never NOT have a market for all that takeoff stuff, and what you sell it for on the aftermarket is certainly more than you paid for it in the package, so while a hassle, really not that big of a deal in the end.

Can't wait to see what combos you folks find for this hull!

Thats the thing I have looked into buying the hull & hardwear & its not worth it , its cheaper to buy the whole package . it just would be nice if they could take off the price of the esc & motor at what it would cost to replace those two parts , i understand where your coming from Darin .

Well done on the two new releases Darin, nice job !!!!!!

Steven Vaccaro
09-05-2010, 01:39 PM
I ran the boat today with a ose cable. This is hands down the best rtr boat I have ever run. And I have run almost all of them. Handled great and ran fast. After running no, water in the hull. This boat will be a winner in both racing and backyard bashing!

airman66285
09-05-2010, 05:07 PM
I ran my MG on Lake Independence this morning and I cannot begin to tell you how incredible of a cat this thing is! I rigged up a new flex shaft and used a S/B Octura x642 prop and she screamed! I used (2) 2S 5000mAh 40c Zippy LiPo's. She handled like a Lotus Espirit Turbo on rails and was super, super planted in the corners. I have FINALLY found my favorite boat. It is just icing on the cake that she looks so scale. I played around with the stock Tx and Rx as well as the Tactic TX240 2.4 setup. They both performed beautifully and had insane range. The only thing I didn't like about the stock controller has that it seemed like the power curve was a little different. It felt as if it had little power as you squeezed the throttle until you got to 90% or so and then it went to full power. The Tactic had a smoother throttle response. I will have to play with it more to see which one I like better. I did cut all but 2" of the antennae tube off so that just the active portion of the Spektrum antennae was above the hull and she ran great - I ran her away from me at slow speed until I couldn't see her and I still had control. The other thing I did was mount both receivers on a balsa block to raise it above the level of the batteries just to be safe. At any given angle and distance there was always a clear line-of-sight between the Tx and Rx. The only thing left to do now is install 4mm bullets on the ESC and motor as well as the upgraded flex shaft from OSE when I get it mid week. BTW, I did not have so much as a drop of water in the hull after 3 runs. It really is a solid, solid boat and it is bringing me tons of enjoyment. If anyone is on the fence about buying one I hope I threw you over the fence to buy this thing because you will not be disappointed one bit.

Diesel6401
09-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Ran today on 4s and 5s with a x642, 4s was 36mph, 5s was 46mph. What a awesome boat. I am posting video to youtube now

jac4412
09-05-2010, 08:33 PM
diesel, was that with the stock prop? What lipo packs are you using?

jac4412
09-05-2010, 08:34 PM
ok nvm saw it, x42 36 mph. Hmm I thought it would be a tad faster

Diesel6401
09-05-2010, 09:20 PM
ok nvm saw it, x42 36 mph. Hmm I thought it would be a tad faster

That's pretty good for a BJ motor on 4s. IMO of course. 5s she just looked awesome, I gotta stop the porposing. I just rounded the rudder after the first run, that should help some.

Darin Jordan
09-05-2010, 09:24 PM
That's pretty good for a BJ motor on 4s. IMO of course. 5s she just looked awesome, I gotta stop the porposing. I just rounded the rudder after the first run, that should help some.

I'm told that moving the prop up a tad (move the strut up) and moving the cells slightly forward will really help.

Mine also has some hooks in the ride pads, especially near the rear, so some blueprinting of the ride-pads may ultimately be in order for optimum performance and speed. The inside edges of the sponsons could be sharpened up as well to enhance the cornering and speed.

All of these reports are making me VERY happy! I so VERY glad you guys like this boat. That was the goal. Looking forward to seeing what you guys are able to get this boat to do!

jac4412
09-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm absolutely itching to run mine

Diesel6401
09-05-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm told that moving the prop up a tad (move the strut up) and moving the cells slightly forward will really help.

Mine also has some hooks in the ride pads, especially near the rear, so some blueprinting of the ride-pads may ultimately be in order for optimum performance and speed. The inside edges of the sponsons could be sharpened up as well to enhance the cornering and speed.

All of these reports are making me VERY happy! I so VERY glad you guys like this boat. That was the goal. Looking forward to seeing what you guys are able to get this boat to do!

Here's the video, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsZmdN6FsIs) Darin I will try your suggestion tomorrow. Darin you are the man for this one :beerchug: :bowdown:

jac4412
09-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Diesel, nice run, on 4s this thing runs perfectly. Interesting that the traxxas titan is at 50 mph on 6s... (supposedly) MG is almost there on 5s... nice. Looks like there is not issue with it stock

scoota
09-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Ran today on 4s and 5s with a x642, 4s was 36mph, 5s was 46mph. What a awesome boat. I am posting video to youtube now

Good stuff Diesel ! Now you have your new toy on the water , you might leave G-Freak thread alone LOL :roflol:

Diesel6401
09-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Diesel, nice run, on 4s this thing runs perfectly. Interesting that the traxxas titan is at 50 mph on 6s... (supposedly) MG is almost there on 5s... nice. Looks like there is not issue with it stock

Thank you. I really enjoyed it. More video to come, I also am going to post a video of my PB apache saving my MG when a lipo failed. Freaking hobby city lol at least I got a year out of it.

scoota
09-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Good video mate , dont know about the song choice lol , rather the sound of that beautiful cat screaming along the water

Diesel6401
09-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Good stuff Diesel ! Now you have your new toy on the water , you might leave G-Freak thread alone LOL :roflol:

Yea I guess I could leave them alone now. :sarcasm1:

Good video mate , dont know about the song choice lol , rather the sound of that beautiful cat screaming along the water

Thanks. she does sound really good on 5s. Not a fan of the Metallica cover?!?

jac4412
09-05-2010, 10:39 PM
I would have preferred this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Z1_GAZyCo

jac4412
09-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Oh and Diesel, did you try running it stock with the deans? Just curious how hot the guts were getting, I'm going to end up driving home for a day to run mine, just would like to know if it'll be fine with the x642 prop and stock lipo setup with normal heat or if I should take the time and put bullets on asap

Diesel6401
09-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Oh and Diesel, did you try running it stock with the deans? Just curious how hot the guts were getting, I'm going to end up driving home for a day to run mine, just would like to know if it'll be fine with the x642 prop and stock lipo setup with normal heat or if I should take the time and put bullets on asap

No, deans were the first thing to go. I run only 5.5mm on all my brushless boats. I run deans on my plane and rescue boat (brushed). I also changed the motor/esc 3.5 connectors and replaced them with 5.5mm bullets. Motor timing was set to high and bec disabled.

scoota
09-06-2010, 12:31 AM
My Question to you Diesel is how big can you go with a motor upgrade before it gets in the way of the lunch box lid snapping closed ? its hard to tell from the pictures , will a 4074 fit in there or a 1515 cc/neu ?

Diesel6401
09-06-2010, 12:53 AM
Theirs a bubble on top of the tupperware that has room for a little expansion. You don't actually have to use the tupperware lid if you don't want. I had a leopard laying around and just kinda eyeballed it and it looks like to would be a tight fit for the 74mm length leopards, but the 65mm leopards may work if you choose to use the lid. It runs real nice on 5s stock though, I may swap the esc to a seaking 120 though.

blackcat26
09-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Diesel, you get the bounce out yet? I'm about to pull my hair out!