PDA

View Full Version : Two motors vs one

toledo
06-23-2010, 04:24 PM
I've seev that boats with one motor have two battery packs juicing
that single motor vs. Ekos for example that has only one pack per motor.
I've also seen that a supervee 27 runs nicely with two 7 cell nimh and my
ekos seems a towing boat. Is it better then having just one motor?

VIKOS
06-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Depends on the set up. It's like a real boat. Two motors allows for even power to weight ratios compared to one motor taking on the load. Sure it's double of everything wihich in turn means more money but I've seen on motor fail and the boat is still able to make it back out of harms way. If a single fails then your out of luck and good retrieving. It's all about weight and load.

forescott
06-26-2010, 11:00 AM
The nice thing about a single in a cat is that you can put the batteries in the sponsons to keep the cog low. Makes for a much better handling boat. A single can be just as fast as twins (with a quality motor), and dual batteries will give you plenty of mah and cell/configurations to play with. Of course there is no substitute for the sound of a dual brushless cat!

Fluid
06-26-2010, 04:30 PM
A single motor will be a bit faster than twins on cats under 45" - assuming the right choice of motors. Improved prop efficiency, less parasitic drag, and less electrical resistance are the reasons. Another issue with twins is uneven loading when running an oval. The inside motor will run hotter than the outside one as it is forced to spin slower in turns. The latter surprised me, but it is a fact.

The one twin cat I've seen lose a motor on the pond could not be driven in - too much differential thrust and excessive drag from the dead prop - it just spun in circles......

ReddyWatts
06-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Twin motor boats are just cool from the sound of the twin props singing and the wall of water they throw.

VIKOS
06-26-2010, 05:55 PM
A single motor will be a bit faster than twins on cats under 45" - assuming the right choice of motors. Improved prop efficiency, less parasitic drag, and less electrical resistance are the reasons. Another issue with twins is uneven loading when running an oval. The inside motor will run hotter than the outside one as it is forced to spin slower in turns. The latter surprised me, but it is a fact.

The one twin cat I've seen lose a motor on the pond could not be driven in - too much differential thrust and excessive drag from the dead prop - it just spun in circles......

That incorrect cause I'm a prime example of when I lost a prop and the one way I got it bac kwas counter stearing the boat slowly of course but none the less got it back to the beach. Anyone know where Ica norder props or 442 props for the kos seems 4s lipos break the plastic props..and thats every one that I used as a matter of fact. I'd like to go with 442's if its possible. anyone got ideas on props and where. No OSE doesn't have them..all they have is counter clockwise rotating props. I need both..This sucks but once I get the set up right she will be a demon. Shes beating up on the gas boats and nitros with stock set up.

Team Jericho
06-29-2010, 12:12 PM
You can contact EGNEG for the 442 props :)

VIKOS
06-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks ordered the venom pro machined. 2 sets. And my local guy ordered some 442's. He was impressed with the ekos against gas boats. He thought it was a nitro lol yeah right. Wait till the 10 ls are in. There gona shat their pants. Lol