PDA

View Full Version : New AquaCat

Doby
06-22-2010, 10:48 AM
I met Mike Ball this past weekend at a Nitro/ Gas / FE event in London Ontario, Canada.

He had with him one of the new prototype Cats so I snapped some pics to share.

Doby
06-22-2010, 10:49 AM
And some more....

Doby
06-22-2010, 10:51 AM
I raced against it in LSO class. Unfortunately, conditions were not "cat friendly" and it DNF'd in two of the races shortly after the start. On the third race, the cat blew its lid (canopy) off and its now at the bottom of the pond in London. The hull continued racing though and did finish.

johnf
06-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Cool, so how did it run when it wasn't blowing over? haha

Doby
06-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Fast.

forescott
06-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Awesome! Whats the little black thingamajingie on the tip of the sponson?

alvinsmith75
06-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Looks like he is using a futaba radio and not the tactic.

alvinsmith75
06-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Awesome! Whats the little black thingamajingie on the tip of the sponson?

Something to catch your fishing line when retriving it.

forescott
06-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Looks like all of these new model boats may hit hobbyshop shelves all at the same time!

forescott
06-22-2010, 05:20 PM
For real?? Thats what it looks like!

Eodman
06-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Yeah next year!

Doby
06-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Mike (the guy who brought the boat) is a "stick" guy and prefers a stick radio to a wheeled radio so he had a FM radio in there (hence the antenna). The hook on the front of the boat is for snagging a retrevial line (like on the new SV-27)

Jeff Wohlt
06-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Sponsons look pretty flat. This means fast in clean water but not very good in rough. Looks good. Nice and clean and I like the inner tub. How can it sink with the inner tub trapping air? Just not enough to hold her up after the tub fills, I guess.

eboat
06-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Sponsons look pretty flat. This means fast in clean water but not very good in rough. Looks good. Nice and clean and I like the inner tub. How can it sink with the inner tub trapping air? Just not enough to hold her up after the tub fills, I guess.

I think John said it was just the hatch that sunk

Doby
06-23-2010, 12:02 PM
It was the Hatch that sank.

longballlumber
06-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Hey John (Doby), it was great meeting and finally putting a face to a screen name! Thanks for putting up the pictures and your interest in the new boat. :thumbup1:

Up to this point I have been running this hull in our P-Limited Offshore club class and this cat hull is consistent and always a top contender. We run a 4 minute heat format, much like some of you do, and this boat will run 41-43 mph the entire heat and turning 13 laps on our course. Our course hasn’t been surveyed, but I can tell you it’s not much shorter than a typical 1/6 mile course. That is a pretty good click for, 4 minutes. This boat handles awesome! It doesn’t have the driving characteristics that typically follow catamaran style hulls, such as being darty and unpredictable. The key with this boat is managing your rudder throw. You don’t need much to get this baby to turn. It is an absolute blast to drive.

At the Northern Lights Open event the boat only actually blew over once, and that was in the first heat. We had winds in excess of 20mph all day on Saturday. I have no doubts that if I were allowed to run a 2P battery configuration, the boat wouldn’t have flipped at all. I was asked to run 1P in the boat by the other racers. On the second heat (still running 1P as requested at the beginning of the event) I added some weight in front of the motor to help mitigate the windy conditions. The boat was screaming down the straight, but when I got down onto the rough end of the course (turn one), I happened to find a “hole” in the water and swallowed the boat up. The rest of the heats the boat was fast and it handled the rough water just fine.

Losing the hatch was a bit of a mistake on my part. I brought my boats down to the pit area to “stage” each of them since the FE boats were running back to back to back… I had some nitro exhaust on the boat, so I cleaned with Windex. Well it seems that the Windex left a film that kept my hockey tape from sticking very well and the hatch blew off in the middle of the 3rd heat. From now on, I will be cleaning the area that gets taped with some motor cleaner or denatured alcohol. No worries I still finished the heat in on top with everything exposed. :Praying: LOL

I still have a lot of prop testing to do and I am looking forward to it. I can’t even tell you how much fun this thing is to drive!!!!! :rockon2:

Later, :Peace_Sign:
Mike Ball

Steven Vaccaro
06-23-2010, 01:50 PM
OH BOY. Late 2010 into 2011 looks like an exciting year for racing!

Grimracer
06-23-2010, 01:51 PM

Jeff

I have HOURS of testing.. it just might suprise ya... Flat...er.. and how wide? You are missing a TON of info in the photos..

Thanks Mike for wheeling the boat for me and John for popping a few pics...

ROCK ON!

Grim

ray schrauwen
06-26-2010, 02:35 PM
IMO, it looks a bit cheap, doesn't look at all scale and is shown SO FAR that its not so rough water friendly....

I'm with the the Green Lizard Cat.... After running a 1st gen UL-1 not impressed a bit, sad quality and then they revamp the hull, what about the POS I have??? where's my solace.

I say Merge ProBoat and Aquacraft for a stronger company. The Giecko is much prettier so use that hull. Aquacraft has nice electronics so use that in their hull and you have a WINNER!!!

Grimracer
06-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Ray,

Tell me how you came to the conclusion its not rough water friendly and please define rough water?

Have you drove the boat and seen it close up. Maybe video? Do you live close to Michael?

Truth is I have found the opposite to be true.. This backed by hours of testing in all conditions.

To me rough water is driven by 15mph (or more winds) and or 8 boat heats on a ¾ acre lake... And.. in that will run quite well... to a point.. past 20mph winds and its a crap shoot as it would be with any air suspended hull..

I also find the mud (flat water) a tad more challenging to setup or run in.. this boat also does that well.. wake crossing and the like.. Im sure you know what Im talking about.. I guess I have not heard of you all that much.. if you are experienced in cats please tell me more about what you see in this hull.. I am totally open to learning… and thanks!

Also. At this time there is ONE boat exposed to the public.. Michaels.. but its been driven by quite a few different people.. People that really RACE RC boats. They also support my findings in the handing of the boat….

Thanks

Lets play boats!

Grim

ray schrauwen
06-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Kinda sorry I posted that about rough water. I was going off of what I read on another forum about this boat running at London. Should have read Milke Ball's post above for better info.

My bad buuut, I still think the 1st gen UL-1 glass hulls were terrible. I can throw my H&M Lifter all over the place and neither the transom nor the turn fin area will crack up due to weakness, just sayin' ... and it's at leat 7 years old now.

If there was ever a recall of the 1st gen hulls I've never heard about it??

Doby
06-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Ray, the races in London had gust in excess of 20-30 Mph at times and at the far end of the pond, we had to be carefull with our V hulls as well.

Jeff Wohlt
06-27-2010, 10:45 PM
True, Mike...way to early for us to tell and I know you have hours of running it so I think you would know. Just looks flat but with minimal pics (hint, hint) it is hard to tell. I love the clean layout and the inner tub.

Looks to be hardware transfered over from the UL...IS this one going to be with the 2030 kv motor and ESC? Good combo that seems strong.

Always room for another cat in the cradle!

Diesel6401
06-27-2010, 11:17 PM
True, Mike...way to early for us to tell and I know you have hours of running it so I think you would know. Just looks flat but with minimal pics (hint, hint) it is hard to tell. I love the clean layout and the inner tub.

Looks to be hardware transfered over from the UL...IS this one going to be with the 2030 kv motor and ESC? Good combo that seems strong.

Always room for another cat in the cradle!

I have been held down by strippers but FE racers.. ewwwww…

I really had a lot of fun racing in LSO. The new boat we are working on is a ground up design. It features drop tub glass work like our UL-1 and uses most of the same hardware.

As a side note, Jerry Dunlap, Jay Turner and Brian Buaas were all involved in helping with the first stages of the design.

The boat had/s an updated ESC with a 35V 1500uf cap and brand new 36mm 1800kv motor. We are still testing all systems at this time.

The boat has been very solid in testing and the performance at the race was more then I could have asked for.. IT WAS WINDY..

NO DELIVERY DATE IS SET.

Lots have asked for it and we are going to darn well deliver. This cat is no PUSSY!

Grim

Looks like the updated UL-1 60amp esc and the new 1800kv motor which is in the SV27R

Doby
06-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Its the 1800 Kv motor in it.

Rumdog
06-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Aaaaaaaand when is it going to be available?

Doby
06-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Looking into the crystal ball,,, I would have to say sometime in...........................

Rumdog
06-29-2010, 10:32 AM
i'm assuming after the new proboat miss geico.

Eodman
06-29-2010, 12:27 PM
For the guys in the colder climates -- I think we will get to enjoy them in the Spring of 2011! Maybe

Brushless55
07-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Thank you for the Pictures! :rockon2:
lets see, how many new boats do I want now? :confused2:

forescott
08-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Is it just me or is Aquacraft the only smart ones by not setting a release date for their new cat? I want one, but if they don't tell me when it'll be here then I can't complain that its not here yet. :confused1: I think I just confused myself.

v-spec
08-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure but this is the only RTR I'm interested in and I've been waiting for it for a looong time! I'm sure it'll come out exactly when I have no money!!:doh:

longballlumber
08-11-2010, 07:46 AM
I know it's easy for me to say, but Hang Tight! They are still working on some details for this thing. The group at AquaCraft is really working hard to hit a home run with this one!!!

Later
Mike

Grimracer
08-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Mikes right.. just a few more tweaks and details and we are going to be home free.. and.. there just might be a surprise for a few of you "Boat Nuts" when the boat finally does hit the market.

This boat has been allot of fun to design. Its a very solid performer and by far one of the best handling cat I have ever drove.

But.. its really not important what I think or feel.. Best we can here at AquaCraft can do is make the boat FIT YOU!.. And what we have learned in the last few years “IS” designed in this boat..

NO DELIVERY DATE IS SET AT THIS TIME!

BTY.. Im going to be racing one at the NAMBA nats in the LSO class. Truth is I really don’t care all that much how well the boat does in the class and if it does well I will chalk it up to luck and fun.. But if drive well and make some new buds.. BONUS!.. that’s the true sprit of toy boat racing to me.. just driving well and making new buds is about all I can ask for anymore. Grimracer says! Two boats are twice as fun :eek: (sorry, inside joke )

ROCKET AND ROLL.. aha.. cat with no name.. or does it:spy:

Grim

forescott
08-11-2010, 01:11 PM
just a few more tweaks and details and we are going to be home free.. and.. there just might be a surprise for a few of you "Boat Nuts" when the boat finally does hit the market.

Grim

ooooooooh! I just got goose-bumps! :biggrin:

alvinsmith75
08-11-2010, 07:38 PM
I did not pre-order the Titan because of the "no name" cat!

Android
01-11-2011, 11:30 PM
I went to Tower Hobbies website today and did shop by brand and
Aquacraft and a new boat was on the page but when I clicked on it,
it said invalid part number.

AquaCraft Motley Crew Off-Shore FE Catamaran Boat 2.4GH :spy:

There is a really tiny picture of it also

Diesel6401
01-11-2011, 11:45 PM
O man, so official right now. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0002p?&M=AQU&P=7 second one on the top

Brushless55
01-11-2011, 11:45 PM
I went to Tower Hobbies website today and did shop by brand and
Aquacraft and a new boat was on the page but when I clicked on it,
it said invalid part number.

AquaCraft Motley Crew Off-Shore FE Catamaran Boat 2.4GH :spy:

There is a really tiny picture of it also

OH:censored:
looks like I may cancel my Spartan order!

Brushless55
01-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Its not even on the Aquacraft site yet :confused1:

kjohnsiii
01-12-2011, 12:30 AM
I cant view the specs when I click on the boat?

Diesel6401
01-12-2011, 01:24 AM
Its not even on the Aquacraft site yet :confused1:

Someone in IT probably got a little happy which is great for us, prob didn't think anyone would even notice. I guess they didn't realize what addicts they were dealing with lol....

Random information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbico

Diesel6401
01-12-2011, 01:28 AM
I cant view the specs when I click on the boat?

Scheduled to come with the 1800kv motor which is in the new sv27r, 60amp esc (ul1) and around 30". Apparently the x440/3 was a nice prop for her. I just recalling what I have read from following this boat. The savings has begun.

Brushless55
01-12-2011, 02:10 AM
Someone in IT probably got a little happy which is great for us, prob didn't think anyone would even notice. I guess they didn't realize what addicts they were dealing with lol....
]Random information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbico

:iagree:
I in a way hope it comes with the higher kv motor from the UL-1

Diesel6401
01-12-2011, 02:16 AM
I in a way hope it comes with the higher kv motor from the UL-1

So do I that would be awesome. If it comes with the 1800kv you know as soon as most people here open the box the 1800 will come out and the 2030 will go in lol. For some reason the word "STOCK" is like a swear word around these parts. For me this boat has a brand new CC waiting for her!

*Friends don't let friends run stock* hahahahahaha

Fluid
01-12-2011, 02:24 AM
The boat I tested performed very well with the "stock" motor. With a simple prop change I got into the high 40s no sweat. The UL-1 motor is iffy on LSO boats IME - high speed but high amp draw too, and smallish props.

Brushless55
01-12-2011, 02:24 AM
D, you going to try the outrunner?
I guess if it does come with the 1800kv, I know the esc can take 5s real easy :thumbup1:

Brushless55
01-12-2011, 02:26 AM
The boat I tested performed very well with the "stock" motor. With a simple prop change I got into the high 40s no sweat. The UL-1 motor is iffy on LSO boats IME - high speed but high amp draw too, and smallish props.

Hight 40's!
dang, what prop is good?

Diesel6401
01-12-2011, 02:26 AM

WOW high 40s, thats impressive!

Diesel6401
01-12-2011, 02:29 AM
D, you going to try the outrunner?
I guess if it does come with the 1800kv, I know the esc can take 5s real easy :thumbup1:

:banana:
I LOVE the sound of an outrunner!!!!
Motor sitting on the shelf, I should buy another before they go outta stock. Never can have enough CC motors!!!!

Brushless55
01-12-2011, 02:33 AM
Oh the CC outrunner!
maybe I should pick a couple of them up
I now have 9 CC motors I bought that came from the sale

Diesel6401
01-12-2011, 02:41 AM
Oh the CC outrunner!
maybe I should pick a couple of them up
I now have 9 CC motors I bought that came from the sale

Now you just need 9 hulls to put them in lol.... I only picked up a 1512, 1518 and the 1800kv outrunner. I may pick up another outrunner though. Just encase I magically find something to put twins in :tongue_smilie:

forescott
01-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Is it still there?? I cant see it from diesel's link.

Diesel6401
01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Is it still there?? I cant see it from diesel's link.

I just went and checked. Looks like they pulled it already lol.

forescott
01-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Rats!

nate
01-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Not discouraging anyone's thought's on this boat, but if this Cat come's out looking anything like the prototype photo's I've seen...It will be very disappointing IMO. Too plain and simple, ugly to say the least. Just look's fat lol.

Maybe if it had the Motley Crew an silver may change a bit. Really wished it was atleast 35-37" ...That would be cool.

Rumdog
01-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Nate, it is a purpose built racer. Not a scale cat. It should handle excellent.

Brushless55
01-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Not discouraging anyone's thought's on this boat, but if this Cat come's out looking anything like the prototype photo's I've seen...It will be very disappointing IMO. Too plain and simple, ugly to say the least. Just look's fat lol.

Maybe if it had the Motley Crew an silver may change a bit. Really wished it was atleast 35-37" ...That would be cool.

This ones built to win!
Keep in mind, a bigger cat needs more power, more power = more cash for a rtr

Darin Jordan
01-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Nate, it is a purpose built racer. Not a scale cat. It should handle excellent.

I've never really understood why one would have to choose?? The "race" part is the part you can't usually see.... :spy:

Offshore is going to be FUN in 2011!! Another THUMBS UP for the RTR crowd!! :thumbup1:

--Darin

nate
01-12-2011, 10:36 PM
I guess we will see when it's out and ready to ship. I'm sure it will look better with the Silver and Replica print. Wonder how it will run against the Proboat Geico hull.

Brushless55
01-12-2011, 11:13 PM
I think this thing looks cool!
my guess it's going to kick on the MG

Darin Jordan
01-12-2011, 11:46 PM

I'll take that bet!! "Upper 40's"?? Been there, done that... Bring it on! Let's get to racing... Has the water thawed yet?? :cool2:

Spring can't get here soon enough for me!!

By the way... those of you thinking you'll make this new boat faster by replacing the 1800KV motor with the 2030KV motor aren't paying attention to what we've been trying to tell you. Motors are identical, except for KV, which means you gain RPM, but lose torque... Guess which one motivates the boat??

That AQ 1800KV motor is a BEAST, and is a perfect fit for this type of boat. You simply HAVE to use the right props... If you'd focus your efforts there, You would save yourself a lot of burned up parts and might even save a few $$$ on replacing motors/ESCs...

:thumbup1:

Brushless55
01-12-2011, 11:56 PM
I'll take that bet!! "Upper 40's"?? Been there, done that... Bring it on! Let's get to racing... Has the water thawed yet?? :cool2:

Spring can't get here soon enough for me!!

By the way... those of you thinking you'll make this new boat faster by replacing the 1800KV motor with the 2030KV motor aren't paying attention to what we've been trying to tell you. Motors are identical, except for KV, which means you gain RPM, but lose torque... Guess which one motivates the boat??

That AQ 1800KV motor is a BEAST, and is a perfect fit for this type of boat. You simply HAVE to use the right props... If you'd focus your efforts there, You would save yourself a lot of burned up parts and might even save a few $$$ on replacing motors/ESCs...

:thumbup1:

Uhhhm
didn't you sell your Stiletto that look slower than a VS-1 with UL-1 power
yeah ok, chill dude :cool2:
i've seen a MG on UL-1 power running 4s that was faster than with the stock lower kv motor

nate
01-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Hey to hell with both of those motor's, slap in a Neu on 5-6s...:tongue:

Brushless55
01-13-2011, 12:17 AM
Hey to hell with both of those motor's, slap in a Neu on 5-6s...:tongue:

hell yeah! :rockon2:

Darin Jordan
01-13-2011, 12:21 AM
Uhhhm
didn't you sell your Stiletto that look slower than a VS-1 with UL-1 power
yeah ok, chill dude :cool2:
i've seen a MG on UL-1 power running 4s that was faster than with the stock lower kv motor

Hahaha... I'm totally chilled... you read it wrong. I'm stoked that Offshore is going to be EXPLODING this year!

The Stiletto is a 30" production glass boat that is targeted to the Sport market (i.e.: people who will run them for 10 minutes at a time, etc....)... It does about 35mph out of the box, which is exactly what it was designed to do. I'm not sure why you even bring this up. A better comparison might have been my former 28" WoodStuff with the 1500KV ProBoat motor, which registered 50mph on a regular basis (have posted the EagleTree charts previously, if you need proof) It's all in the prop/hull combo.

Have you seen an MG go 47mph with the stock motor and ESC? If not, then people need to do some more prop work. (I actually have readings of 49mph, but I'm trying to stay a little conservative. ;) )

The 1800KV AQ motor is a beast, and is perfect for this package. A quick prop change should put this boat up near 50. That's not based on speculation.... it's based on EagleTree data that I've been gathering over the past two years with these systems. We've tested Raptor Hydros with the UL1 and the SV27R motors, and, while the UL1 has a SLIGHT straightaway speed advantage, the SV27R motor blows it away through the turns. Simply has more torque to keep the prop turning under load, and gets off the corners MUCH harder.

I'm not saying any of this to try to bash or get into a pissing match. I'm trying to get guys to realize that two 36-56-XXXX motors, of the same manufacture, weight, etc., are putting out generally the same amount of overall power, they just get it there a little differently. With the right prop, either can be "the fastest".

Now... let's get some REAL pictures of this new boat! I wanna see!! :D

Brushless55
01-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Mikes right.. just a few more tweaks and details and we are going to be home free.. and.. there just might be a surprise for a few of you "Boat Nuts" when the boat finally does hit the market.

This boat has been allot of fun to design. Its a very solid performer and by far one of the best handling cat I have ever drove.

But.. its really not important what I think or feel.. Best we can here at AquaCraft can do is make the boat FIT YOU!.. And what we have learned in the last few years “IS” designed in this boat..

NO DELIVERY DATE IS SET AT THIS TIME!

BTY.. Im going to be racing one at the NAMBA nats in the LSO class. Truth is I really don’t care all that much how well the boat does in the class and if it does well I will chalk it up to luck and fun.. But if drive well and make some new buds.. BONUS!.. that’s the true sprit of toy boat racing to me.. just driving well and making new buds is about all I can ask for anymore. Grimracer says! Two boats are twice as fun :eek: (sorry, inside joke )

ROCKET AND ROLL.. aha.. cat with no name.. or does it:spy:

Grim

his attitude is the reason why I will keep buying Aquacraft products
I don't see a know it all in this posting :cool2:
Aquacraft has me for life :beerchug:

Darin Jordan
01-13-2011, 07:23 AM
his attitude is the reason why I will keep buying Aquacraft products
I don't see a know it all in this posting :cool2:
Aquacraft has me for life :beerchug:

Dude? Wow... Why the hostility? I have no problem with you supporting AQ at all, but if you have read "know it all" in any of my threads, then we need to meet in person. Not even close. I'm simply telling you what I've found out, passing on info, and trying to help.

Mike Rocks... no secret there, and his boats rock too, and I couldn't even come close to driving as well as he does. This conversation had nothing to do with AQ vs. PB or anything else along those lines. All I was trying to do was give people some additional information on the MOTORS so they might understand what it takes to make something go 40 or 45 or 50, and more specifically, with THESE motors. And, perhaps, do it without burning things up. Maybe I DO know a few things, simply through experience and testing?? Perhaps?? There must be a reason why I have an Elam, Stiletto, and MG, all which will run in the high 40's for a 1-mile heat with the stock 1500 motors... It's not an accident.

I'll bow out and just go back to silently watching what's going. This seems to be a theme, and I want no part of it, especially when something as exciting as another new RTR coming to market is suppose to be the topic of conversation.

I have not doubt that this boat is going to ROCK (with a name like that, why wouldn't it!)... and I am SOOO excited to hopefully be getting more people involved in racing Offshore classes because of the options now for that class.

NOW, if NAMBA would just hurry up and get the P-Spec power specification as an OFFICIAL CLASS (DAAAVVVIIIIDDD... where ARE YOU??? ;) ), we'd be golden!

Brushless55
01-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Hostility, not sure what your reading Darin, but I see only praise to Grim for his attitude towards racers and sport users

The fact is Darin, some love the sound of higher kv motors
fact is some can tune their boat to run better with those motors (however they do it) with great runtimes and speeds

If some wants to change to a different motor that has the kv they want, let them have fun doing so

we all love this sport/hobby and have different imput to get similar results, and some even better

AQ has me for life, because of there service and attitude :beerchug:

Hydromaniac
01-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Hostility, not sure what your reading Darin, but I see only praise to Grim for his attitude towards racers and sport users

The fact is Darin, some love the sound of higher kv motors
fact is some can tune their boat to run better with those motors (however they do it) with great runtimes and speeds

If some wants to change to a different motor that has the kv they want, let them have fun doing so

we all love this sport/hobby and have different imput to get similar results, and some even better

AQ has me for life, because of there service and attitude :beerchug:

I have an idea of how we can see them in action, Brushless we are planning the 2011 race season now, and again we will be having some offshore racing as well as other classes in your back yard, get one and maybe you can race it with us then you can post how well it does. The electric ranks are growing in northern Colorado so that would give you some real racing opportunities.

Brushless55
01-13-2011, 01:52 PM
I have an idea of how we can see them in action, Brushless we are planning the 2011 race season now, and again we will be having some offshore racing as well as other classes in your back yard, get one and maybe you can race it with us then you can post how well it does. The electric ranks are growing in northern Colorado so that would give you some real racing opportunities.

Sounds great Rod:beerchug:
keep us Colorado guys posted on the 2011 race season, when and where..

Hydromaniac
01-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Sounds great Rod:beerchug:
keep us Colorado guys posted on the 2011 race season, when and where..

Should have the shedule up soon, maybe then you can finally come out and play.
There should be a lot of racing in Colorado this season. Would like to see you Race at some of them as you have been unable to in the past. I thought you would have raced at the Nats or one of the NCNB races seeing that they were so close to you. Well perhaps this year.

Brushless55
01-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Should have the shedule up soon, maybe then you can finally come out and play.
There should be a lot of racing in Colorado this season. Would like to see you Race at some of them as you have been unable to in the past. I thought you would have raced at the Nats or one of the NCNB races seeing that they were so close to you. Well perhaps this year.

The Nats were cool! :beerchug:

Doby
01-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Did you race...or were you just a wallflower.....these boats are designed for spec racing.......not playing with yourself to see how fast you can go in a straight line....listen to Darin and Grim and learn.

Any idiot can put in a larger motor and go fast (I'm proof of that).....Join a race event sometime and see were the fun really is...anyway....back to the beach....for a few more days.

Brushless55
01-15-2011, 05:38 PM
.....these boats are designed for spec racing.......not playing with yourself to see how fast you can go in a straight line....listen to Darin and Grim and learn.

Who the hell says someone cannot do what they want to with a boat from AQ or PB? :doh:
if they want to stuff a big ass motor in a Stiletto like Darin did to boil the water, why not let them!!!!
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showpost.php?p=248029&postcount=196 BAD ASS!
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/filmmaker2009/STLO_2Lap_Prep_007.jpg

nate
01-15-2011, 07:32 PM
This has to be the only forum that I'm on that everyone disagrees on everything lol, Helifreak's not like this.

Brushless55
01-15-2011, 07:36 PM
This has to be the only forum that I'm on that everyone disagrees on everything lol, Helifreak's not like this.

:beerchug:
:rofl:

Diegoboy
01-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Calm down B55, and take that chip off your shoulder please.

Who the hell says someone cannot do what they want to with a boat from AQ or PB? :doh:
if they want to stuff a big ass motor in a Stiletto like Darin did to boil the water, why not let them!!!!
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showpost.php?p=248029&postcount=196 BAD ASS!
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/filmmaker2009/STLO_2Lap_Prep_007.jpg

Brushless55
01-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Calm down B55, and take that chip off your shoulder please.

I'm calm... :bowdown:

Steven Vaccaro
01-16-2011, 09:54 AM
The Aqua Cat is only going to make things better, no matter which boat you pick, they will both be fun. Its about fun competition, once it gets to tossing daggers at each other the fun stops. Lets get back on track.

bigpapa
01-16-2011, 10:25 AM
:hug1::thumbup::hug1:

its all about having fun pro boat or aquacraft

darin and mike have many many years of testing think we all can learn from both

just a thought.......................

T.S.Davis
01-25-2011, 10:44 AM
I was just wondering. Are there any clubs besides MMEU where both of the new cats will be racing as soon as the water thaws? muhahahaha

I saw the Geico on the shelf last time I was in the LHS. Workable.

Darins is right about the AQ 1800. That things a monster. I've run them all too. Even in my big fat Titan the 1800 is a runner. I might put one in my 26" Wild thing. Kinda small for the class though.

My old Titan has been racing since 2006. It's getting a little tired. I'd like to move into one of these cats but the AQ isn't available. Is it really going to be a Motley Crue theme? Stray cat Mike!

One of these two needs to be added to my fleet. I've seen the AQ in 8 boat heats. It's like any cat. You have to drive it. Mikes been sand bagging though. Haven't seen the Geico in race water yet. Sure rips by itself. I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe it's going to get weird in chop.

Can't wait for spring!

Doby
01-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Our Toronto and Kitchener clubs will have 2 Geicos and I plan on racing the Aquacat.....

T.S.Davis
01-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Did you chip one from Grims clutches or do you mean when you can get one?

Doby
01-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Grim and I are currently in "discussions"....in other words, I'm trying to guilt him in to it:bounce:

I do plan on purchasing one when they are avaliable.:thumbup:

That will then make 4 LSO boats in my fleet. Some people laughed last season when I brought "spare" boats with me on race days.:w00t:

T.S.Davis
01-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Grim and I are currently in "discussions"....in other words, I'm trying to guilt him in to it:bounce:

HAHA How's that working out?

I was thinking of using the "safety in numbers" approach. We have one AQ cat already. If there were more than one that would increase it's chances against the evil empires Miss Geico. That LHS I mentioned is only a few miles from our pond. There's a bunch of those loud yellow boats on the shelf. Mike will be out numbered. Why, it could be a blood bath.

......did lay it on thick enough?

I really am hoping that either or both of those cats show up on our pond this summer.

Doby
01-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Not as well as I hoped..........

Two members on here that I run with , Ray S and Robert, both have the Miss G, so it will be up to me to put them in their place with the AQCat.... I ran with Ray's Miss G on the last race of the season in the LSO class and it moved out really well, but our pond conditions at the time were really windy and choppy and it flipped once or twice if I remember correctly. Robert's hasn't seen water yet as its all in cube for up here.

I think Mike sould ensure that there is a even distribution of AQCats in this area...I would be willing to help him with that task (hint..hint):banana: Otherwise the whole Ontario region could be overrun with those pesky lime coloured cats (guilt ...guilt...):Praying:

I just finished setting up a Genesis Cat for LSO with a UL-1 motor. It weighs less than my UL-1 Hydro so it should be interesting.

FYI, we will be holding a FE Race in London around the middle of Sept.....you Michigan guys need to come down...Ken J did last year.

Grimracer
01-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Racers,

Without saying too much im quite sure our cat will be on the shelves this spring. (Barring the slow boat from China dont sink!)

Here is AquaCrafts Black Lab we call J.A.C.K. I have been in talks with Doby and it looks like we will be able to come to an agreement on the said “agreement” with witch we agree to…

Here is one thing that I do know..

After racing the Motley Crew this summer and having a few of the boats out and running I can say that its going to be a stretch to be the big winner in LSO with either of the new cat offerings. With monos being allowed to race in LSO (in some places like the NATS), cats can be VERY hard to put up front.

My suggestion would be to set LSO aside (maybe at the club level) and go RTR Offshore CAT racing.. And leave it at that! Let the MFGs provide you the weapon and you wheel em!

Be it Proboat, AquaCraft or the next RTR MFG to come along and “WIN BIG”.. I don’t care…with the support of the MFGs and you! RC boating WILL continue to grow.

Lets race!

Grim

Brushless55
01-26-2011, 10:28 AM
:spy:

T.S.Davis
01-26-2011, 11:21 AM
FYI, we will be holding a FE Race in London around the middle of Sept.....you Michigan guys need to come down...Ken J did last year.

Chris Cryzceck (I doubt he can spell it himself) was pitting right by Fred, Dave and I at the nats. We're planning to make it to London in September. I think Fred and I were at your very first race there in London a couple years ago. We had a great time. That is an awesome site to race. Offshore water all the time though. It's only an hour from me.

What about the Northern Lights? Will there be any FE at that race?

MikeZ, your cat was the boat to beat all season. I was watching it pretty close and to be quite truthful.......... I think there's more in the tank. I'm just not sure if it's doable in traffic. I suspect the same will be true for those loud painted boats. If you can get out front early and stay there maybe. Should be an interesting season for LSO. We talked about trying to stay under 6 boat heats. That will help.

Darin Jordan
01-26-2011, 11:35 AM
LOVE all this Offshore Talk! Another class explosion!!

Doby
01-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Racers,

Here is AquaCrafts Black Lab we call J.A.C.K. I have been in talks with Doby and it looks like we will be able to come to an agreement on the said “agreement” with witch we agree to…

Grim

I love it when an agreement comes together..I think we can agree on that....if anyone disagrees with that, than we reserve the right to agree to disagree....what the hell were we agreeing to again:w00t:

:rofl:

Doby
01-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Chris Cryzceck (I doubt he can spell it himself) was pitting right by Fred, Dave and I at the nats. We're planning to make it to London in September. I think Fred and I were at your very first race there in London a couple years ago. We had a great time. That is an awesome site to race. Offshore water all the time though. It's only an hour from me.

What about the Northern Lights? Will there be any FE at that race?

Chris can't even pronounce his own last name, let alone spell it. He has some of the ugliest boats (its a stretch to call them that)...but the are bloody quick.

I'll PM you some details on the London Races.

longballlumber
01-27-2011, 08:52 AM
MikeZ, your cat was the boat to beat all season. I was watching it pretty close and to be quite truthful.......... I think there's more in the tank. I'm just not sure if it's doable in traffic. I suspect the same will be true for those loud painted boats. If you can get out front early and stay there maybe. Should be an interesting season for LSO. We talked about trying to stay under 6 boat heats. That will help.

Thanks for the reply Terry. I really think you've hit the nail on the head, this boat has more in the tank with regards to props, strut changes, proper rudder sharpening, flattening of the running surfaces...

I didn’t flirt much with props, simply because I didn’t feel like I need to. With regards to offshore racing, the boat was always in the top 3-4 in speed. I do agree with Grim that a mono hull will have a slight advantage in this ratio of speed and size when it comes to race water.

At any rate, I am really getting excited to run this class again. I have something to prove!!!! I am going to try and turn it up a notch!!! LOL

Offshore is going to be exciting this year!!! :rockon2:

Later
Mike

T.S.Davis
01-27-2011, 09:41 AM
You never even got that setup very warm. I'm just not sure you can go much faster. Of course even with the big fat Titan I was upside down more than not. I had to push too hard to run anywhere neer the speeds you were running.

I'll probably run the Wild thing. Easy driver. Just need to find the right battery combo. 8400 is too much weight for that one.

airman66285
02-09-2011, 12:06 PM

Tower Hobbies has it up on there site now!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXASLN&P=7

Full size photos this time and a price - $349 and due in April!!!!!

YES!!!!!

T.S.Davis
02-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Dang it.

Now I want one too.

Brushless55
02-09-2011, 12:17 PM

YES!!!!!

YES!:rockon2:
think I'll send my Spartan back and get this

Doby
02-09-2011, 12:34 PM
:spy:

airman66285
02-09-2011, 01:37 PM

YES!!!!!

After taking a closer look at it, the fit and finish doesn't apperar to be as smooth as my PB Miss Geico - the area between the sponsoons at the bow looks very squareish. It almost looks like ABS but I know it is not. I still am going to get it because I love catamarans and Grimracer's stuff rocks.

Doby
02-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Must have really good eyes to comment on the fit and finish from that pic....please tell us how the hardware looks from that pic as well.

ray schrauwen
02-09-2011, 03:26 PM
YES!:rockon2:
think I'll send my Spartan back and get this

Good idea. :sarcasm1::zip-up:

Brushless55
02-09-2011, 04:41 PM
After taking a closer look at it, the fit and finish doesn't apperar to be as smooth as my PB Miss Geico - the area between the sponsoons at the bow looks very squareish. It almost looks like ABS but I know it is not. I still am going to get it because I love catamarans and Grimracer's stuff rocks.

fit and finish?
this is not a MG Cat
it's the Motley Crew Off-Shore FE Catamaran
looks so much like the real deal :rockon2:
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/filmmaker2009/MotleyCrewDetroit2008.jpg

Brushless55
02-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Good idea. :sarcasm1::zip-up:

BANGO!
traxxas can kiss my :censored:

airman66285
02-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Must have really good eyes to comment on the fit and finish from that pic....please tell us how the hardware looks from that pic as well.

I am assuming that the hardware is the same as what was shown previously in other threads and it looked great there. The only view on the Tower website is an isometric from the front so I can't tell. I've attached the photo from the website and enlarged it a bit. Does the real Motley Crew not have a sharpened leading edge between the sponsoons? Just curious...

Rumdog
02-09-2011, 06:40 PM
looks chinsy to me.. Plus, the blunt looking tunnel entrance. ew.

airman66285
02-09-2011, 06:48 PM
looks chinsy to me.. Plus, the blunt looking tunnel entrance. ew.

The blunt leading edge gave me a little pause...it kind of looks like my PB Apache in that area. It would be nice if it had a sharpened leading edge.

Brushless55
02-09-2011, 06:52 PM
The blunt leading edge gave me a little pause...it kind of looks like my PB Apache in that area. It would be nice if it had a sharpened leading edge.

Possibly gives it more strenght :spy:

Diesel6401
02-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Like Brushless said it's scaled off of the Skakter 368. Looks just like it. http://www.motleycrewracing.com/

Rumdog
02-09-2011, 07:13 PM
It is much wider than scale, just like the MG. The blunt front end reminds ME of the UL-1. Hopefully this hull is a tad stronger.

Diesel6401
02-09-2011, 07:19 PM
It is much wider than scale, just like the MG. The blunt front end reminds ME of the UL-1. Hopefully this hull is a tad stronger.

I think darin mentioned something before about they don't scale down really well or something. So yea I think you would be right it is wider.

I might have to get 2, one in this paint and 1 I will take all the decals off and make it all white.

Brushless55
02-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Like Brushless said it's scaled off of the Skakter 368. Looks just like it. http://www.motleycrewracing.com/

Yeah!
that last picture was made for me!! :buttrock:
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/filmmaker2009/amsoilcat.jpg

Rumdog
02-09-2011, 07:29 PM
I think darin mentioned something before about they don't scale down really well or something. So yea I think you would be right it is wider.

I might have to get 2, one in this paint and 1 I will take all the decals off and make it all white.

They can be more scale looking. (HPR, MHZ, H&M) However, making them a little wider than scale helps them excel in the corners which is better for racing, and newbies alike.

I do like this boat, and I'm sure it will handle great with all the race testing it has undergone. BUT, I hope it is a better constructed hull than the UL-1, or new sv27R.

Diesel6401
02-09-2011, 07:48 PM
They can be more scale looking. (HPR, MHZ, H&M) However, making them a little wider than scale helps them excel in the corners which is better for racing, and newbies alike.

I do like this boat, and I'm sure it will handle great with all the race testing it has undergone. BUT, I hope it is a better constructed hull than the UL-1, or new sv27R.

Yea the SV27R transom issues was really disappointing. If they would have just keep the doubler that boat would rock. I will keep my orginal SV and when I get this boat I will put the power into my old sv. For this boat i think I am going to run my CC 1800kv Outrunner. Should sound really nice in this boat.

stringfly
02-18-2011, 09:19 AM
:rockon2::rockon2:AquaCraft site info:
http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub2100-motley-crew/index.html

Stringfly <>++++

Grimracer
02-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Hi Gang..

Everything.. and I do mean EVERYTHING is and was perfomance driven.. even the "Blunt" front edge..

Run it.. I dare ya!

Grim

Brushless55
02-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Hi Gang..

Everything.. and I do mean EVERYTHING is and was perfomance driven.. even the "Blunt" front edge..

Run it.. I dare ya!

Grim

:rockon2:

shannon87
03-08-2011, 03:26 AM
Hi all i thought id add since im a huge fan of cats and the movement of spec/rtr racing which im hoping with my detication and persistance i can kick off a class to help newbs that are on a budget to get into the sport.

Because unfortunately my local club mostly consists of fuel boats and huge dollar electrics which are few and far in between which kinda scares potential members off as it did me.

The only specification is the norm EA,EB,EC classes and most elecrics are EC monsters lol i know its all about numbers and such but it dont help when a few select members dont really lappreciate electric boats and newbs which offer exitement and diversity as they have only known and raced fuel boats.

I have the support of the ampba prez and other members of kinda being a newb ambassator lol so hopefully with the motley crue and word of mouth i can prove to the guys and newcomers that there is a good alternative.

As most assume the only way to start racing is buy a gas or nitro boat as its what they see most of there is nothin wrong with those but most are big dollar ex race boats as RTR doesnt seem to be a favourable option as i asked about an sv27 nitro and that was shot down quick so was any other RTR options.

Which led me down a long and torturous journey on facing the fact the only way i can race is gettin one built from scratch or buying a used boat and followin a steep learing curve with nitros and gassers.

But with alot of persistance and spreading of word with thanks to the geico,motley crue,and sv27 i have found my perfect option being the motley crue as im more partial to cats and alot of determination im plannin on getting the motley and shaking things up and hopefully kicking off a LSO class of some sort and doin some custom work also.

I just wish it was like america over here as there is so much more support and diversity i suppose i helps with your country having 50 states and us only 6 lol and you guys have been doin it way longer.

And thanks to grim and darin for designing such great machines and getting me one step closer to my dream and cant wait for the motley crew to come out.

To save another post lol and i hope this recieves some positive feed back as i have a unique and custom plan for the boat after i have had ot for a while and i have mentioned this idea to some but basically i would like to put an outboard on this boat but since graupner is an expensive outboard and EP1s unfortunatley have a weakness of which being the gears.

So i thought id go for another option which would cross the brand name line lol and that would be using a proboat outboard. With some help from a fellow boater which has offered to help me set the boat up.

I also plan on getting some goodies from kintec racing nothing major though and a custom wrap done by mono jeff basically those will be the major changes as the aquacraft gear is pretty awesome plus the unique layout of the water cooling system is pretty cool so im going to try and keep it unique but just have the motor behind the esc.

Anyways it should turn out well i suppose i should ask the creators opinion lol so grim what do you think about a proboat outboard on your cat ? and anyone else who wants to add their opinion.

And i apologize for such a long rant but i offer my full support