PDA

View Full Version : Flight Power lipo wiring question

Doozie870
10-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Im having a hard time getting these to fit with the leads coming from opposite sides. Can I cut the end open and reroute the leads? :confused1:

Darin Jordan
10-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Im having a hard time getting these to fit with the leads coming from opposite sides. Can I cut the end open and reroute the leads? :confused1:

I think you'll find that the wires are soldered to the tabs in the directions shown in the pictures... You'd have to be willing to unsolder and resolder so they are going the same direction, which is how the Poly RC packs and ThunderPower packs come... So the short answer is "YES", just BE CAREFUL not to let the tabs touch...

I just removed the HUGE (8awg or so) wire from my 30C Poly RCs and replaced it with 6mm wire from OSE, and I just took it one-step at a time, finishing one tab and retaping before moving to the next tab... you do NOT want these to dead short...

SJFE
10-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Define dead short please. If they touch for a split secone the packs are junk?

Rex R
10-11-2007, 10:25 AM
split second Might be ok...problem is, is with the currents possible with lipos they are just as likely to weld together. thus not coming apart before everything goes POOF

Darin Jordan
10-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Define dead short please. If they touch for a split secone the packs are junk?

I've had a couple of quick touches that really let out a "POP"... Luckily, they were just that... split second contact... Anything more than that and like Rex said, they are capable of arcing themselves together and causing a real mess.... A lot of amperage there... Safest to just try to avoid it...

When I did this on mine, there was capton or ?? tape around each tab/wire solder joint to separate the tabs, then tap around all this to keep it from moving/shifting...

If you just do things carefully, and put them back the way they came apart, you should be fine. Try not to overheat the solder joint/tabs either... Doesn't take much heat to get flow on these...

Doozie870
10-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Im cutting one pack open to take a peek. these may be my final words.

Doozie870
10-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Piece of cake!! In fact once the outer layer is open there is only one layer of tape to cut and you can route either lead to either side.