PDA

View Full Version : The Villain EX is going brushless!

FighterCat57
06-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Instead of prop sizes, I have a few gearing choices to start with.

Nothing fancy, twin 60 amp esc's and 3900kv for a good 2s setup. Will be twin 5k 30c 2s batteries.

New in December 09, the Villain has seen more action than any other boat I own. Since becoming a rescue boat, it's basically been used on every run that I make. (seems like!)

There'a s bit of corrosion from salt water spray, but overall it's in great shape and has been a great reliable runner. The only boat I've not had to rescue.

Make-a-Wake
06-17-2010, 06:27 PM
I tried dual brushless with stock outdrives and it was way squirelly..............went to single direct drive on 6s..........highest clocked speed is 38.7............havent heard of one faster yet........kinda proud of the achievement. I'll be watching your build....good luck!!

FighterCat57
06-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Oh, not going for speed at all. This thing is silly dancing at 20mph. Just going for reliability and power, it is only used as a rescue boat. =)

Make-a-Wake
06-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Cool...........but you know how we all are.......you'll start the tweaking and looking for more speed............its what we do!!!:bounce:

FighterCat57
06-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Yeah I was thinking about re-designing the "skis" for less water resistance and more speed during rescue's!

FighterCat57
06-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Well fooey.

The motors I ordered aren't large enough to mount in the hull. There wasn't a bolt pattern diagram, just assumed that they would fit a 540 mount, but they don't.

So, not sure what I'm doing with it just yet. I will have a cheap pair of water cooled motors for sale though!

Unsullied_Spy
07-03-2010, 01:43 AM
Nice to see a Villain getting some love. With my luck with FE boats I'm tempted to buy a Villain EX and leave the thing stock, my old 7.2V Villain (now converted to dual brushless) has been the only boat I've had fun with...it actually works and doesn't cause endless problems like all my other boats. I run steel bottom gears and Graupner U-Joints with 51mm CF props. Thus far I've only run stock gearing on 2s lipo with some cheap 34x30mm Turnigy motors (around 2,000 KV) and it was fun to drive and very stable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J1hP_SXJ_I

FighterCat57
07-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Nice vid!

I think I may just order a cheap pair of 540 motors and go with it. It uses 32p gears, so I can easily use a 3mm or 5mm shaft motor. The HK ESC's are cheap... Just finding the cheapest pair of 540 sized motors... I've ordered the wrong size motors twice now... =(

Jesse J
07-03-2010, 11:02 AM
I just acquired a Villain IV... one that was left for dead, but now it has a new heartbeat. I threw a pair of BJ motors in (from my Intruder) and removed some of the interior tub to make room for lots of batteries. Also ended up redoing the rear servo platform to make room for another battery back there. The problem is that now I am running low KV motors on 2:1 gear ratio with those stock flat props. I ran last night with 5S and would estimate low 20s. I have been toying with removing the gearing and go flex shaft through the steerable outdrives, but wanted to see how stable she is first. Eventually I will remove all interior tub crap and fiberglass the hull, making for very strong and hopefully more stable at speeds.

seems pretty good, but might need some turn fins. I will post a series of vids and some pics in a build thread once I get her running acceptable.

Hey Spy, give me a call, I have lost ur number. No luck with the Titan? lets race Villains! Also, I want the old 8.4V ESC from your Villain if you still have it.

Make-a-Wake
07-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Here's mine.........................37.6 is the top speed i GPS'd. Has a Neu 1515 1500 kv being installed in a couple days. 6s in the vids with a Feigao 1445kv and a Graupner x640. The Neu will bust the 40 mark for sure.

The first vid is a while back and it runs a little wet in the first half. I have it all dialed in now as you will see in the second vid..................im kinda proud of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjZBzkXeru8

Second vid is the documented 37.6 mph run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T968_ZJixko

Jesse J
07-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Nice vids, I like the first one - pretty lake! I have had pretty good luck filmin and drivin, just watch it when you get close to shore.

I love that Neu you are getting, can't wait to see her run.

I am liking the idea of keeping mine twins... but don't care much for the gear noise. Might have to stay with the steerable outdrives, don't know that rudders would have much of a place back there with two struts... Yuck, not scale atall. Maybe those MHZ z drives (just $500 a pop - imagine a grand just hanging off the back of a less than $100 hull)?

FighterCat57
07-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Cool. Just ordered a pair of 450 adapter plates and used some bonus points to get a pair of 50a esc's.

Looks like I can use my 450 heli outrunners with Holmes adapter plates!

The ESC's I ordered from HK, but only because I had bonus points to use up, so they were free!
The motors call for 40amp ESC, so figured a pair of these would work: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10013

Once they get here, I'll measure the heat sink and get a pair of OSE water cooled heat sinks for them and waterproof them with some conformal coating.

=)

Make-a-Wake
07-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Nice vids, I like the first one - pretty lake! I have had pretty good luck filmin and drivin, just watch it when you get close to shore.

I love that Neu you are getting, can't wait to see her run.

I am liking the idea of keeping mine twins... but don't care much for the gear noise. Might have to stay with the steerable outdrives, don't know that rudders would have much of a place back there with two struts... Yuck, not scale atall. Maybe those MHZ z drives (just $500 a pop - imagine a grand just hanging off the back of a less than $100 hull)?

Been there.......done that. The twin outdrives with brushless is a nightmare.............squirelly as can be. I had two castle 4600's with the 2:1 reduction.............was very fast for the few seconds i could keep it straight. Pic below of the setup.

The Neu im getting will run on 6s pf course, with the 640 to start..........642 will follow:bounce: I bet it does around 45................not bad for a Villain IMO.:buttrock:

Jesse J
07-03-2010, 08:58 PM
I am pretty happy with my Black Jack motors (two himodel 125amp speedos I water cooled and plastidipped). Here is video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-C61QuonAk) of her on twins, still 2:1 gear reduction and stock Villain IV props, so pretty stinkin slow, but I actually like this speed and how she sits/rides.

I am gonna see what I can do with the brushed version, if too slow might go back to these BJ motors but direct drive with flex shafts and no gear reduction... wheel sea.

I am gonna reserve my speed demon for another boat.

Make-a-Wake
07-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Nice vid Jesse. If you wanted just a tad more speed, throw a couple 16t pinions in there.

You have got the most beautiful scenery behind your lake........almost breathtaking. Is that what they call "Gods Country"........heard that before somewhere.

Jesse J
07-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Is that what they call "Gods Country"........heard that before somewhere.

Well if it ain't, you can definitely see it from here!

I have gone 5S and she goes considerably faster; am tempted to try 6S - that made my Intruder go 60... but then it was a cat and not geared down. I will post up a vid of 5S if I can get "the blister walker" out again soon.

Make-a-Wake
07-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Any new from anyone here?

FighterCat57
07-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Any new from anyone here?

I'm waiting on motor adapter plates and ESC's. Have the old stuff out, hull cleaned up, new U Joints and ready for parts!

Jesse J
07-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Updates are:

Fiber glass in hull
better U joints from my bone yard
Removed all stickers on hull
started sanding and prepping for paint

Thinking black sides with white stripe in middle and black on bow down center
Working on making/getting made bushings for outdrives that will accommodate my 3/16" stubs so I can run .150" flex. May have to stick with straight shaft and U joints as when I set-screw the main gear to the flex... it well, gets all floppy on me. So either flex and direct drive (probably brushless) or brushed and straight shafts with U-joints.

Thought I would fiberglass and paint her up while deciding.

I will probably go with straight shafts and gears - this way I can go brushed or brushless.

Make-a-Wake
07-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Good updates!

EDIT: Heres an ultra clean Villain EX for a great price....................i already have two, and as much as i want it i dont need it and can better use my $$ somewhere else: http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-Villain-EX-Boat-Ready-Run-UPGRADES-/180529820263?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item2a086a7267

Make-a-Wake
07-06-2010, 08:42 PM
New info above on a NICE Villain!

Make-a-Wake
07-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Boy.......that Villain i just posted is already sold..................it was nice.

Jacked1
07-07-2010, 09:45 AM
I have gpsed mine at 37.7 and it is going faster now but my gps broke because of water damage! Sill have 2s of more voltage capable and a 3mm bigger prop to come! it is too fast to not flip right now so i am gonna get trim tabs and fix all my leaks. And i need to run it on a pond and not a biggg lake on the weekend! Too wavey!

Jesse J
07-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Welcome Jare Bear (interesting name)

how bout some pics of your ride? Seems this is the Traxxas Villain thread, so what's yours like?

Make-a-Wake
07-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Installed my Neu 1500kv 1515 model and got 39.1 yesterday with a 640, I think it's maxed out as it finally got just a tad squirelly for the first time at the very top end, motor came in darn near cool, probably inthe 85-88 range.

FighterCat57
07-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Nice! I'm diggin all the Villains! :cool2:

I'm going a different route though, I'm going cheap, small and light. This will keep the battery and the component cost low and hopefully increase the reliability and longevity! The motors are 600watt outrunners w/3mm shafts to accept the stock pinions. The total weight with batteries/electronics is just over 3 lbs.

Now just waiting on motor adapter plates. They shipped today. :rockon2:

Make-a-Wake
07-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Pics of my 6s Villain with Neu 1515................:bounce:

Make-a-Wake
07-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Nice pics Fighter...................somehow i missed them?? Looking good!

Jacked1
07-07-2010, 07:34 PM
here is mine! kb-45 1200kv and the esc is a Sentilon100A HV but there is no pic of it!
Not my prettiest boat lol. it is geared down 7:5 with a 57mm carbon prop with almost no heat on the motor or esc and i have gpsed it one time for about 10 seconds total time at full throttle on 6s. Then the gps got wet and died and woke up for a few days and shut off again! :( it said 37.7 when it woke up for that short time.

I am gonna try a 60mm carbon with trim tabs and 8s eventually!

Jacked1
07-07-2010, 07:41 PM
oops these ones didn't load last time!

Make-a-Wake
07-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Hey Jacked........we have spoken on you tube.......deraj....right? We've seen each others vids. Glad to have you here.

Jesse J
07-07-2010, 08:32 PM
hook us up, where are your vids --- ohhhh that deraj, I better go back and watch.

Wahoo, we made it to page 2!! :beerchug: :beerchug:

Jacked1
07-07-2010, 10:03 PM
haha yupp that is me:) I need to vid again! It is my name backwards! I copied off of ur outdrive with the gaupner coupler thing! :D

Make-a-Wake
07-07-2010, 10:11 PM
hook us up, where are your vids --- ohhhh that deraj, I better go back and watch.

Wahoo, we made it to page 2!! :beerchug: :beerchug:

Yep! Lets keep this going! The Villain is a really neat boat......so scale......beautiful lines........and if i had to venture a guess, its probably the best selling RTR hobby grade boat of all time.

Just got in from running my new one from ebay.............4s and the motor from a Genesis...............friggin scoots.:buttrock:

The custom turnfins are my own idea i have had for quite some time........they work great!

Jacked1
07-07-2010, 10:52 PM
What did you wide up doing with your genesis hull? I wanted one for a long time but got impatient with it being out of stock and ordered a surge crusher instead!

Make-a-Wake
07-07-2010, 11:46 PM
What did you wide up doing with your genesis hull? I wanted one for a long time but got impatient with it being out of stock and ordered a surge crusher instead!

Never had one........i bought the motor, mount, ESC and driveline for $65 from my friend who stripped his after two runs. He's going twin drive and castle 2200'S!:bounce:

Jacked1
07-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Never had one........i bought the motor, mount, ESC and driveline for $65 from my friend who stripped his after two runs. He's going twin drive and castle 2200'S!:bounce:

Ohhhh! Well that is a hell of a deal! :thumbup1: I really like the motor mount. i can't wait till they sell spare parts on the hk website.
I bet that will be darn close to the fastest genesis there is!

Just ordered a new gps! I think i am gonna put this one in a taped tupperware container with about 5 bags around it :tongue_smilie:

FighterCat57
07-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Ohhhh! Well that is a hell of a deal! :thumbup1: I really like the motor mount. i can't wait till they sell spare parts on the hk website.
I bet that will be darn close to the fastest genesis there is!

Just ordered a new gps! I think i am gonna put this one in a taped tupperware container with about 5 bags around it :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, they say waterproof, but I've always wondered just *HOW* water proof?

BTW- I did submerse my Forerunner 101 in salt water. Then cleaned it off in dishwater. It seems to have survived OK. Including the AAA rechargeables.

Jesse J
07-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Saw this in the Powerboat mag this month and am gonna giver a go. Silver base, black panels, and possibly some red accents. Bottom will remain primer white (its kinder discolored from the sun - guess it was a porch bum for several years).

Got the hatch all stripped down, removed the windscreen etc. all decals gone (except for the dashboard). I have it primed and pretty close.

The hull is also stripped down (fortnately, the rails were missing so no need to remove). Wiped all the decal goo off with paint thinner, scrubbed her down with purple brillo pad then some steel wool in every direction - no circles. I wasn't too happy with the rounded chine, so I added some 45deg styrene angle stock to make it nice and crisp - idea being to kick that water out and not up - thus decreasing drag.

I am stewing on the turn fins and trim tabs idea. anybody know where to get the ones on the Traxxas hopup site?

Make-a-Wake
07-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Love that paint scheme Jesse............looks like it means business!

Here's a Vid of my ugly duckling 4s Villain......................Metallic Blue with white underside is on the way!

Not quite as fast as the 6s Neu Villain, but moves along nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSS4FT6fS8w

Jacked1
07-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Looks good! How are those big turn fins working? i made some very similar ones for mine with some trim tabs today so i hope they do the job. Mine needs to go strait!! haha

FighterCat57
07-10-2010, 06:13 PM
It ALMOST hit the water today... Except I accidentally ordered the paper weight edition ESC... It just shakes the motor like an epileptic retard. :scared:

The other side works great! So, guess I'm waiting for ESC's again. I should stick with my order double what ya need rule. Ah well. Guess I should get some spares on this next order.

Everything else went together great! It should perform better than stock and run longer as it now weighs in at just 3 lbs. I could get it under 3lbs with slightly smaller lipos... I may just do that. =)

There might be life left in this old tugger after all! :w00t:

Jesse J
07-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Nice vid, I am in same boat as fighter - waiting on an esc. I have started the paint job and just need to detail the hatch. Will post pics soon.

just a note, I had some water pickups at the base of the vee and it acted real weird at speeds. A better option would be in hull pickup or a propwash pickup.

FighterCat57
07-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Nice vid, I am in same boat as fighter - waiting on an esc. I have started the paint job and just need to detail the hatch. Will post pics soon.

just a note, I had some water pickups at the base of the vee and it acted real weird at speeds. A better option would be in hull pickup or a propwash pickup.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Seemed odd that they put it there from the factory. I haven't moved it. Hopefully it won't cause any trouble.

Jesse J
07-10-2010, 07:11 PM
probably same reason I tried it there, it seemed logical and with factory speeds, maybe they didn't see a problem. Thing is, it disrupts the water in front of the props, whereas a inhull or propwash pickup doesn't at all. It can always be changed later if you notice it kinda wobbling side to side underway.

Jacked1
07-10-2010, 09:41 PM
So i think i truely overpowered it..... Just ran it on 6s and i litterealy could not put it on full throtle for long at all! I might have had it at full for 5 sec total during the run and that is being generous. The esc was also on slow start up mode so it might not have got to full. Got some good vid! heaps faster that before with the old outdrive when i gpsed it! Kinda scary to run...

and i stull can put 8s in it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIIIXvpUNfM

Jesse J
07-10-2010, 10:01 PM
she boogies! looks like you might need a bigger pond for your 6S trials, it is so nice to see them get out there and just haul in a straight.

Still waiting for my ESC...

Jacked1
07-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Yea some people were fishing pretty close so i didn't wanna get too close to them. I will go all out when i have a retreaval boat close in case it flips.

I think i spent most of my time waiting on esc's last year!

Jesse J
07-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I think i spent most of my time waiting on esc's last year!

thus having more than one boat......

FighterCat57
07-10-2010, 10:22 PM
thus having more than one boat......

Yep. I have like 10 and usually only have 2 or three running because of waiting on parts... :olleyes:

Jacked1
07-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Eaxactly!:tongue_smilie: lol I have 7 and only 3 running!:doh:

Make-a-Wake
07-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks Jesse...................keep up the work fighter.......................good run Jared.

Jesse, i will certainly pass on any experience i have gained at dialing in a Villain........and i have gained quite a bit tweaking mine for over a year now, in fact i dont think there is anyone alive who has spent more time tweaking one:confused2:................they are a different animal above 30. You are correct on the water pickup issue. I went to my rudder pickup due to unstable running above 30. It does not like it, and in order to almost nip 40mph(my red 6s) the pickups had to go. A completely smooth bottom and a razor sharp rudder are the only things touching water on mine. Also............i have had to experiment with weighting until i was about to puke just looking at a lead weight...................the perfect added weight amount i have found is 7 ounces............of course im running a single motor............so may not be an issue with yours.

Here is a new mod to my 4s villain IV.........still no paint on it yet.....its a sleeper!:banana:

It was not running as cool as i like.......and the snazzy motor mount was not allowing and XL size jacket in there............so i notched out the back of the mount and moved the support ring back..............now it sports an XL jacket!! Ran about 15* cooler too.

Jesse J
07-13-2010, 10:03 PM
here she is. Yet to mount motors etc, but still waiting on ESC so no rush.

Jesse J
07-13-2010, 10:04 PM
and the rest.

Make-a-Wake
07-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Nice, the contrasting scheme and the deck rails give it a scale look. Hope it runs as good as it looks.............if so, it'll be fast!

Jesse J
07-13-2010, 10:21 PM
thanks, it will run good. I redid the u-joints to smoother ones and am gonna get a pair of A-dapters to run 3/16" props to see how some X447s do or some K48s - might have to trim those bad boys down some.

Jacked1
07-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Yea it looks very good! Good job! I bet if you took away the stand you would think it was a real boat! :thumbup:

FighterCat57
07-22-2010, 02:25 PM
In my best Foamy- Pillzee voice: "The babies are heeeeeeere!"

Sprayed the new 50 amp ESC's with come conformal coating and waiting for them to dry. Have a pair of OSE water cooling blocks ready to install and voila! Water cooled ESC's.

These are Heli ESC's with Heli outrunners so should make a good pairing for this ole Villain. Heh, good thread title " This old Villain" seems there are so many restoration projects on the good old Villain.

I can't wait to finally have a rescue boat again! :huh:

the5
07-22-2010, 03:19 PM
I just bought a dual brushless villian cant wait for it to get here.

FighterCat57
07-22-2010, 03:28 PM
I just bought a dual brushless villian cant wait for it to get here.

It's a fun little boat!

Here's the ESC's getting coating:

FighterCat57
07-22-2010, 07:31 PM
I love successful builds.

Exactly what I wanted. Runs about the same as stock, only with massive amounts of run time and low temps using small 2s lipo packs. Is capable of running 4s, but I don't think the drive train would handle it. The outrunners were cool enough to touch after 10 minutes of solid run time.

I'll put a GPS on it and see if I can get any video. On 2s it runs about the same speed as stock, maybe a little faster, like 20 mph give or take.

The only thing I don't like is the ESC's have a slow start for Heli blades. Have to see if I can program it to not do that. Dunno. It's not a big deal, if I pull the trigger a second time, it functions normal, it's only from a dead stop.

Make-a-Wake
07-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Thats a very clean build fighter..............nice job! Good job on the ESC's........i just got two of the 100a's and added plates as well as a 5v regulator to work as a BEC.

Lets see pics of the exterior of your lil' rescue boat!

Jesse J
07-23-2010, 12:21 AM
:rockon2::rockon2:

FighterCat57
07-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks!

Looking forward to taking it to the big pond later in the week. Not sure I want to put the new hardware in salt water just yet!

There's still a bunch of leftover tape goo on the top of the hull and the hatch is a replacement hatch without any decals.. she's been through a lot. =)

LarrysDrifter
07-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Cool. Just ordered a pair of 450 adapter plates and used some bonus points to get a pair of 50a esc's.

Looks like I can use my 450 heli outrunners with Holmes adapter plates!

The ESC's I ordered from HK, but only because I had bonus points to use up, so they were free!
The motors call for 40amp ESC, so figured a pair of these would work: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10013

Once they get here, I'll measure the heat sink and get a pair of OSE water cooled heat sinks for them and waterproof them with some conformal coating.

=)

I found some of that Artic Silver thermal epoxy at radio shack.Only in a smaller tube for 10 bucks.Not cheap,but if you have a radio shack near by and need a little more its more convienient than ebay

FighterCat57
07-24-2010, 11:57 PM
I found some of that Artic Silver thermal epoxy at radio shack.Only in a smaller tube for 10 bucks.Not cheap,but if you have a radio shack near by and need a little more its more convienient than ebay

Cool! Yeah, much more convenient! Thanks!

FighterCat57
07-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Got a good run in at the big pond and having some trouble with higher speeds going straight. The nose bobs up and down. No side to side issues, but forward to back does a dance. If I turn it a little, it stops. It's almost like it's coming out of the water, unloading the props then nosing back down, loading them up and coming out again.

Oh, about 20mph on 2s... Didn't get a GPS on 3s.

Any ideas?

Jesse J
07-25-2010, 11:15 AM
do you still have the water pick up at the base of the vee? are the struts angled too much upward? that can cause the porpoising.

FighterCat57
07-25-2010, 12:31 PM
do you still have the water pick up at the base of the vee? are the struts angled too much upward? that can cause the porpoising.

Yeah, pickup is in the same place. The struts may have moved in the re-vamp process. I'll angle them a bit further downward. That makes the most sense as the speeds on 2s are about the same as before the re-vamp. Will start there, thanks!

Jacked1
07-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Yea i am almost giving up on mine because everytime i hit anytype of wave bigger than an inch it does something crazy! I think the hull needs bigger steps to be able to go very fast without being nutty or a lot of trimming and tuneing, I have kinda lost interest in mine because i want a fast boat and this thing almost gives me a heart attack everytime i run it.:crying:

FighterCat57
07-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Yea i am almost giving up on mine because everytime i hit anytype of wave bigger than an inch it does something crazy! I think the hull needs bigger steps to be able to go very fast without being nutty or a lot of trimming and tuneing, I have kinda lost interest in mine because i want a fast boat and this thing almost gives me a heart attack everytime i run it.:crying:

I really enjoy running mine at about 20mph. It's smooth, sounds cool and runs for about 10 minutes on $10 lipos. To go any faster, I run my other boats. I've had quite a bit of fun building 32" catamarans. :thumbup1:

Jacked1
07-27-2010, 09:48 PM
I am really thinking of building one of those ones from r2hobbies that is the same as the HOTR cat. I would prolly put this thing in one..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=11980
I am gonna put 2 of the 880kv version of those in my 47inch mono hull to one outdrive. I pretty much just need the motors to get here for that. close to 8hp :cool2:

FighterCat57
07-27-2010, 09:50 PM
I am really thinking of building one of those ones from r2hobbies that is the same as the HOTR cat. I would prolly put this thing in one..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=11980
I am gonna put 2 of the 880kv version of those in my 47inch mono hull to one outdrive. I pretty much just need the motors to get here for that. close to 8hp :cool2:

So you're the one that depleted the stock. =)
I was going to get a couple of those 880 kv outrunners... but they are gone now.

Stay away from the R2 hull. It is not the same as the HOTR. JMHO.

I have one... I regret buying it.

Jacked1
07-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Oh i did not know that! i am glad i did not get one! I might get the apparition or genesis in a while then. I only have one cat and it is the surge crusher and i am very pleased with it so I think I would love the other ones. Oh and i ordered one of these for my surge..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10782&Product_Name=Turnigy_Typhoon_600H_Heli_Motor_1100k v_(600_class)

FighterCat57
07-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Oh i did not know that! i am glad i did not get one! I might get the apparition or genesis in a while then. I only have one cat and it is the surge crusher and i am very pleased with it so I think I would love the other ones. Oh and i ordered one of these for my surge..
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10782&Product_Name=Turnigy_Typhoon_600H_Heli_Motor_1100k v_(600_class)

Nice! I was thinking about one of those motors, but don't have much play money left this month. Bought too many boats/parts last month. The only bad thing about retirement. Can't ask for a raise! :huh:

I really like the Apparition. So much I just bought another one. :bounce:

The Genesis is cool. Waiting on some more parts to make it even cooler. It runs well on the stock setup if run right.

Jacked1
07-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Nice! I was thinking about one of those motors, but don't have much play money left this month. Bought too many boats/parts last month. The only bad thing about retirement. Can't ask for a raise! :huh:

I really like the Apparition. So much I just bought another one. :bounce:

The Genesis is cool. Waiting on some more parts to make it even cooler. It runs well on the stock setup if run right.

I wanted the genesis soooo bad but got tired of waiting for it to get in stock and got the surge! Came in stock 2 days after i ordered the surge! :unsure: lol And at least you have time for it! I am working full time at an egineering co-op for school and lifting and throwing everyday for track (i am a thrower on the OSU track team) so i get some time during lunch to make some parts at work each week and maybe an hour and a half on average to work or run the boats every day. And not to mention the girlfriend always wanting to do stuff! AHH!!! :tongue_smilie: (she is asleep right now) :cool2:

But i do love this hobby!!

Make-a-Wake
08-02-2010, 07:28 PM
I just cant seem to find it in myself to like an offset rudder. I am installing the same rudder as my 6s Villain. I have had great results with this rudder setup and i think it is also the best way to get maximum water cooling.....a rudder cutting thru the water 3" deep creating alot of pressure in the the inlet. Plus it tracks straight and corners sharply. Havent run it yet with the new rudder, just now in the process of installing it "just right".

Here are pics of the first setup.................and the one i am installing now:bounce:

Jacked1
08-02-2010, 07:40 PM
That looks good! and if it makes it more stable then Awesome! I should prolly do that with mine but i can't justify puting anymore money in it with the shape my hull is in. Mine is 11 or 12 years old and the abs is really brittle warped now and i get a new crack almost ever time i run it :(.

I bet if you push that motor hard you could get it to 45mph!:thumbup1:

Make-a-Wake
08-02-2010, 07:46 PM
I think 45 is a little out of the range........but thanks for the encouragment!! My 6s Villain has "topped out" at 38.9.............with a Neu 1515(1500 kv) on 6s and an x640. The 642 went 2 mph slower.

This old boat has a great hull for the age.............i still have it in rough form as far as paint/finish, thats my last job on it. Probably a metallic blue/white theme.

It has the innards of a Genesis...........motor(2075kv 540xl) and ESC(120a), and i am running it with an x438....................my best guess is it will hit about 33-35 and still keep it in the OK temp range.

Jacked1
08-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Oh yea i dunno what i was thinking! lol I forgot you got another villain! I was talking about the 6s one.

I might come back to mine if i have a chance next year because i am going to be doing a lot less building and a lot more running. I am thinking one of those 4mm HORracing stinger outdrives for 30 bucks would be nice in direct drive. On mine that motor coupler with the flex shaft in it isn't centered so it wobbles and has broke a few times.

I just came accross this too that i did not see before.. kinda made my jaw drop that he used nimh cells!
http://www.lousfastrc.com/vil7REV7.htm

FighterCat57
08-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Just an update:

I broke a Universal Joint so put a pair of 4mm Graupner's on the wish list. It's been running smooth on 2s but a little hot on 3s. So to get a little more RPM and perhaps more run time... I found a set of lower KV motors, so am planning to switch to 1860Kv and run 4s (same 2s batteries, just in series instead of parallel)

Will give me about an extra 6k rpm. Am curious to see if running lower KV and higher Volts with the same batteries will yield more performance.

Jesse J
08-30-2010, 08:13 PM
So Traxxas finally got the EVX2 back in stock, so I got motorvated again.

using stock motors still - probably be upgrading when they die to titan 20 turns. ran silicone cooling jackets to their own through hull intake.

Plexiglass platform holds the servo, rx and ESC.

I been wondering, can you wire the battery inputs to the ESC into series? thus allowing one 4S pack to be hooked up?

Anyway, some pics. She is ready - but the weather is not... rain rain rain...........

Make-a-Wake
08-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Hey Jesse, wasnt aware you were going for a clean "stock" setup.....looks very nice. You can just put a jumper on one battery connector on the esc to close that circuit......i have ran 3s this way before, but not 4s. One of the batt inputs makes the light come on, its the BEC lead side. I cannot be exactly positive what will happen if you use one 4s on one lead though as i havent done it. I tried 5s(2s + 3s) once and it got all jittery and crazy when it ran..........folks have done it with success though since 14 nimh cells fully charged can be right at 19.5 to 20v.

Check out this vid of my newest villain with new paint......the new center rudder......etc.......i'm spoolin in an sv27 on 12 cells. My turn fins are crazy good to me...........check out some of the cornering.............good closeup vid at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eJX48g8iyU

Jacked1
08-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Those are some sweet turns for that speed!
And i love that it is whipping up on that sv27!
I think i might overhaul mine again during the school year... :)

Jesse J
08-30-2010, 09:49 PM
thanks bro, yep, wanted stock so I could have reverse and one ESC. I have other boats to go fast, so this will be the tooler. yours is lookin good, my man! I may be doin some of your trademark turnfins - not much room on the back.

I was hoping to do two 4S in parallel for long runs, but until I get my answer for sure on how that ESC works, I will be doing 2S2P to each lead - for either 7200 mah or 9800 mah. If I could use 4S packs, then I could fill her up and have 14,400 mah... run-fo-evah.

If it stops raining I will get some vid - gotta maiden the MHZ Shockwave too.

Make-a-Wake
08-30-2010, 09:59 PM
"Those are some sweet turns for that speed!
And i love that it is whipping up on that sv27!
I think i might overhaul mine again during the school year"

Thanks Jacked!! I love this boat!!

"yours is lookin good, my man! I may be doin some of your trademark turnfins - not much room on the back."

Thanks Jesse!! I'm certain of the ESC having a bec side...........the best bet though is the 2 x 2s. My red villain originally had twin 600's i had put in it.....i ran it with 4 5000 20c batts(2s2p)!!! Two were shoved up into the bow in slits i made in the styrofoam.:bounce:

Here's a vid i like of a fast "stock" Villain..............14 cells and 17/28 gearing, looks nice at this speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPuUAifFBdw&feature=related

Jesse J
09-01-2010, 11:18 AM
here is a quick vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHlW2jsa__g) of her maiden voyage. I need to adjust the trim a bit, but she worked great. Don't think I want much more speed, she looks pretty scale at this point. Just need a couple naked ladies on the deck to complete it.

Make-a-Wake
09-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Nice job Jesse........that the kind of boat you just hang onto for years, neat little refurb scale job. I was gettin' a little worried at first when it didnt get on plane for the first minute.............was wondering "is this all i ts got?":confused2: Maybe you can trim the bow down a bit to stop the hopping......its probably due to the lipos being much lighter than stock equipment heavy nicads from when it was new 10 years ago.

Nice.:thumbup:

FighterCat57
09-07-2010, 09:20 AM
I love successful builds.

Exactly what I wanted. Runs about the same as stock, only with massive amounts of run time and low temps using small 2s lipo packs. Is capable of running 4s, but I don't think the drive train would handle it. The outrunners were cool enough to touch after 10 minutes of solid run time.

I'll put a GPS on it and see if I can get any video. On 2s it runs about the same speed as stock, maybe a little faster, like 20 mph give or take.

The only thing I don't like is the ESC's have a slow start for Heli blades. Have to see if I can program it to not do that. Dunno. It's not a big deal, if I pull the trigger a second time, it functions normal, it's only from a dead stop.

Well, it WAS successful. Pulled it out for a run today and one of the ESC's just shakes the motor like it's retarded... This seems to be a common problem. It was running OK on the last run...

So... Two new $10 ESC's coming. At least these aren't the $200 WTF's. :ohmy:

FighterCat57
09-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Well, it WAS successful. Pulled it out for a run today and one of the ESC's just shakes the motor like it's retarded... This seems to be a common problem. It was running OK on the last run...

So... Two new $10 ESC's coming. At least these aren't the $200 WTF's. :ohmy:

Ok, some updates, put in the new ESC's and did some wiring changes, this time using a BEC and combining the power leads to both ESC's.

Not shooting for record speed, just reliable fun. It's getting there. :thumbup1:

Make-a-Wake
10-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Hey guys............i made a complete mod/makeover on my Red 6s Neu 1515 Villain. I got really weary of spinning out graupner flex drives..........tried to repair them and they last for a bit but then spin out.

SO.........i went to straight solid shaft on it, but then had to move the motor all the way to the front to allow a good angle on the shaft. It went absolutely perfect! Cant believe that i nailed it. I can confidently gun it at any given time with no worries. I also added my custom turn fins to it as can be seen in the last pic at the left........turns on a dime now with zero hop!:thumbup:

The entire mod took only 3-4 hours and was well worth it. Its sniffin' at 40mph............:bounce:

Jesse J
10-01-2010, 10:23 AM
sweet! interesting that it wants that kind of angle... vid?

Jacked1
10-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Looks gooood! It is more efficient too with a strait shaft. As long as it doesn't run too wet that should be awesome!

I am deff gonna resurrect my villain in the summer. I have an idea on how to pack 5kw into it.

FighterCat57
10-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Ok, some updates, put in the new ESC's and did some wiring changes, this time using a BEC and combining the power leads to both ESC's.

Not shooting for record speed, just reliable fun. It's getting there. :thumbup1:

Well, I dunno WTF happened, but I blew an ESC. It wasn't hot, didn't seem like any problems and had good water flow... just stopped working... :olleyes:

I think I might just give up on the ole Villain... One of the drive bushings failed too, at the transom, but not on the side the ESC failed...

It WAS fun though! :thumbup1:

Maybe I'll get a brand new one and convert it to brushless...

Make-a-Wake
10-03-2010, 09:21 PM
sweet! interesting that it wants that kind of angle... vid?

Here ya go!..............high wind today so i didint even go WOT........got close a few times.

Comments or suggestions welcome.:biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAyTdGLOWnI

Jesse J
10-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Yep, you slipped it by me. great work, she looks real good! are you using any trim tab? I really like how she looks and I think speeds are good too. Makes me wanna get mine out for a spin.

Make-a-Wake
10-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Yep trim tabs..........port side neutral and just a bit of starboard. Thanks for the comments................i'm throwin' an x642 on it Saturday morning (going out EARLY, glass hopefully).................i think i can break the 40 mark:Praying:..................GPS's her at a hair over 39 a short while back with a 640 which is what im running in the vid, gonna grease her up and let her rip:thumbup:

The obligatory vid will certainly be taken!:thumbup1:

cat samich
10-18-2010, 03:57 PM
i did this same thing with a pair of vxl systems 41.3 on gps but you have to run x447 props gaupner u drives and upgrade the steering rods with 440 rods including the one that links the two drives. i also used a 200 oz steering servo. i water cooled the vxl motors with aquacraft jackets and added fans to the esc's i also mounted the controllers to the deck not down below but they were car esc's not marines i ran a 16/28 gear combo to get the 41.3 out of it and fried an esc on the run i later went back to the stock gear ratio and it was good for mid 30's all in all it was a fun project but the limits of the hull cant be reached through the stock drives. i also wasted alot of money in the name of a sport boat lol

FighterCat57
10-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Well, I dunno WTF happened, but I blew an ESC. It wasn't hot, didn't seem like any problems and had good water flow... just stopped working... :olleyes:

I think I might just give up on the ole Villain... One of the drive bushings failed too, at the transom, but not on the side the ESC failed...

It WAS fun though! :thumbup1:

Maybe I'll get a brand new one and convert it to brushless...

Heh, I'm quoting myself again. I found out that my ESC is actually not dead, it was just in some funky mode and mis-firing because of the auto-config and being plugged in at low voltage. Plugged it in with freshly charged batteries and viola. Interesting about the motor shake on these cheap ESC's.

I really like this setup, but the driveline on this one is shot and I'm really tired of replacing things on it... so I think I'm just going to let it go and get a brand new one, drop in the brushless setup and run it at scale speed (about 23mph).

Make-a-Wake
11-12-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm kinda proud of how i tweaked this Villain to darn near perfect.........took me a little while since its attaining 3 times stock speed. The whole package.............COG, prop, handling etc..............it all just fits and as i said im really pleased and a bit proud. Thanks for looking!

Short vid, Turn it up!!

ygtakILr0r4

Jesse J
11-13-2010, 05:09 PM
nice work dude! handles like a dream.

Make-a-Wake
11-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks Jesse, i'm running my "winter prop"............x440, motor comes in at 120* max after a hard run.

FighterCat57
11-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks Jesse, i'm running my "winter prop"............x440, motor comes in at 120* max after a hard run.

That's an awesome setup!

:thumbup1:

Make-a-Wake
11-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks Fighter.

Went out today with 4 buddies.......had about 15 boats there total, my buddy got a Pursuit 32" mono as a gift and we had a freindly little race............... My Villain, vs his Stock Leopard 4074 mono. Great day, lots of fun overall...............we were both shaking a bit after this heated match...................once again, great fun!

Oh.............I finally broke 40 with her..........my friend radar'd her today at exactly 40 with a quality gun. Anyone heard of a Villain hittin' 40......???

Flg2KksI2WY

Jacked1
03-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Well here is my villian complete overhaul in the making! Everything was taken off that wasn't ABS and even a lot of the ABS! Sliced off the transom and made a new rudder today!
I love spring break!:biggrin:

Make-a-Wake
03-21-2011, 10:22 PM
What power will you run..............motor........cells???

Jacked1
03-21-2011, 10:34 PM
What power will you run..............motor........cells???

Not 100% sure yet? Prolly a T600 1400kv and a 200A suppo and oil/water cool it and 6s 5Ah 40c batts. I also have the old KB45 I used before but you really can't get that much power out of them for how much they weigh. I want to make all the hardware and stuff first and as fast as I can since I only have a week of building untill I go back to school!

Jacked1
03-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Well I got the rear end all done except the prop shaft before spring break was up.
Not too pretty but wanted to see if I could make everything in my living room!

FighterCat57
03-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Wow, that's really cool!

I see quite a bit of hand crafted pieces there. I love when people make their own parts. :beerchug:

Jacked1
03-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks Ben! And yupp everything is hand made. I had a lot of free time last week and not many parts with me so tried it out! I think it will look pretty nice once I paint everything.