PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy EKOS

Bug777
06-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum, but have been involved with RC for a while now.

I am looking to get back into boats after a few years break. I have had nitro boats in the past but i am looking to purchase an EKOS.

Looking through this forum i see some people have had issue with the engines. Is this comon or a rare occurance. Also do 4S packs fit in with out any modifications.

Here are some pics of a trailer which i built to carry it when i get it.

vasy
06-16-2010, 12:32 AM
It seems that if you do what was suggested in forums it is ok stock.
4s fits just fine up to about 3600mah.
It is not RTR, more like RTF (ready to fix)

forescott
06-16-2010, 01:08 AM
4s packs fit, dont use them with the stock motors. The best thing you could do if you are really dead-set on getting the ekos is wait until the updated version comes out with the out-runner motors in it. If you gotta have it now, stick with 3s and the 32mm props. The ekos in its current form is not too beginner-friendly, and you can burn up components if you are not cautious. Aside from that its an awesome scale-looking boat. I love mine!

Bug777
06-16-2010, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Any idea when the next version is coming out? I am willing to wait until it's summer down here.

forescott
06-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Any idea when the next version is coming out? I am willing to wait until it's summer down here.

I have no idea. Venom has a lot of new releases yet to come out. 2-brushless boats,a new dirt bike, and a short course truck. I dont think you will see an upgraded c-1 for several months. Take a look around the forum. There are about 1/2 dozen new boats that should be out on the market in a month or two. Traxxas, Proboat, and Aquacraft all have new models coming soon.

Bug777
06-16-2010, 01:48 AM
Thanks again. I will see what is out when i get closer to buying at the end of this year. I really like the look of the EKOS over any other boat at the moment. I also like the twin motor set up.

VIKOS
06-16-2010, 07:12 PM
boat runs fine with 3s 4000mah 20c thats what I run..get it its a nice boat. Upgrade the couplers to whatrcracingboat sells and your good to go really. Until its time to buy parts for it I guess just like every other RC product..its just that parts from venom suck and they rarely have any. Make sure everything is tight and you shouldn't have a problem really. use blue locktite and your good.

Bug777
06-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I have still been looking around at the other brands. I am still keen on the EKOS. I have got till November to get one as it's too cold to go for a swim if it breaks down until then.

Diesel6401
06-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Steves got a crazy deal. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=Venom+King+of+Shaves+C1

By it now and replace/mod everything while the weather sucks, then when it get nice your boat will be ready to run.

vasy
06-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I have still been looking around at the other brands. I am still keen on the EKOS. I have got till November to get one as it's too cold to go for a swim if it breaks down until then.

Don't swim. It is hard to carry it back. Get a cheap inflatable raft, much better option.
Even so it is hard to carry it back, also get a string with a suction cap on one end, this way you can tow the boat back much easier. We boat almost in freezing temps :)

Bug777
06-20-2010, 01:09 AM
Don't swim. It is hard to carry it back. Get a cheap inflatable raft, much better option.
Even so it is hard to carry it back, also get a string with a suction cap on one end, this way you can tow the boat back much easier. We boat almost in freezing temps :)

Thanks for the tips. I will still wait till the end of the year at the moment unless things change.

So if i run it on 3S i should not have any dramas as long as i flush it out after use? Thanks again for all of your help in making my decision.

I will consider what's on offer here when it's time to buy.

VIKOS
06-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Well its always good to flush out the motors but what are you running them in, fresh/salt water. Me and one other guy run our boats in salt and just like fulll size boat requires a fresh water run when done and spray down. I use an electric cleaner/lubricant after Irun the boat just so salt doesn't become a problem in side the hull. One thing I did notice that after say every 2 runs or 2 weeks of down time its good to lube the shafts and orgrease them with marine grease(for salt water) cause when I changed the crappy venom shafts they had started rusting from being in salt water. No matter what your gona get water in the stinger shaft/strut just gottah load it up with grease to help stop this reaction. Gona install my parts today and take her for a run. Ordered 2 sets of stock props,and 1 set of aluminums. Gona see if the stockys hold up to everything being tight then switch to the aluminums.

Bug777
06-22-2010, 04:25 PM
It will be ran in salt water only as i live near Lake MacQuarie which is near Newcastle - Australia.

When i had my past nitro's i got a windscreeen washer bottle with pump & filled it up with fresh water & pumped it through the cooling systems.

I also got into the habbit of removing the flex shafts every couple of runs to stop them from rusting.

forescott
06-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Good idea. I remove my flex shafts after running, wipe all the water/grease off and spray em with wd-40. I use a piece of pvc with caps on each end to protect and keep my shafts clean!

VIKOS
06-22-2010, 07:42 PM
I just wonder if set screws get worn out after so many screw and unscrew...but yeah its a good idea to clean the water off especially if in salt water..more so leaving salt water in the motors jacket..usually just pump fresh water also or blow it thru about 4 times.

Bug777
06-22-2010, 10:44 PM
I just wonder if set screws get worn out after so many screw and unscrew.

They don't if you have the correct driver to undo & do up. Also if you don't over tighten them & damage the threads they should last forever.

VIKOS
06-23-2010, 10:10 AM
yes but rememeber locktite is a pain and can almost cause you to strip them always...depending on how much you put. Gona run the her to do with the aluminum props 36mm with 3S lipos. I've done this before with the crappy stock shafts and coupler ended up losing one. I think 4S would be fine on stock motors as long as your gentle with the throttle and not constantly doing WOT runs. Speaking of those outruneer motors from venom. I see those failing worste than the stockys because very little air in hull to cool and temps will get very hott in there.

Bug777
06-26-2010, 02:34 PM
How does the EKOS handle a light chop because it hardly gets glassy on the lake where i'll be running it.

forescott
06-26-2010, 05:26 PM
How does the EKOS handle a light chop because it hardly gets glassy on the lake where i'll be running it.

My ekos runs pretty true in light chop. I think the key to good rough water handling is correct battery placement for a good c.o.g. You want the boat to fly straight as it gets airborn and not be too nose-heavy.

VIKOS
06-26-2010, 05:39 PM
the position of the tray is actually really good for choppy conditions..I mean I run in the ocean which is lightly calm but not rough seas. Well tried the the 4s lipo and you can tell a difference just by first luanch. my problem is that I kept eating away the left prop..on the stock plastic props..boat would start to just turn left and I thought it was just sea weed in the rudder come to find out the props been eaten alive lol. Anyone got a reason behind this. Do the carbon fiber props break at all. Where does one order it from..remember I need two in opposite directions and don't see any on here at all. The stock venom props well get eaten again..like the two I tried to install lol.

Bug777
06-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Ok. Thanks. Should i start off at zero prop angle & adjust it from there?

VIKOS
06-27-2010, 08:16 PM
to me the stock prop angle is best..it use to plain very fast..now that I've gone both +/- it takes a few feet to plain...could be the props could be many things..still hauls butt though so no worries there. stock angle is best for all around. I'll try to take some videos as soonas my machined props get here..gona make sure I soak the prop nuts in locktite lol Idon't want to loose those at all. rather burn out a motor than to loose those props...but from what I hear the gas boats props are upwards of 100bucks plus so I really don't feel so bad paying 60 bucks for a set.

vasy
06-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Ok. Thanks. Should i start off at zero prop angle & adjust it from there?

I'd check how well your boat is made. On my friend's boat the scale is more or less useless as left and right stinger and not glues at the same angle :ThumbsDown01:
It is so bad you don't even need a gauge to see the difference in angle. So you can just eye ball it to be more or less even unless one take time to see how much the are out and factor that it into the calculations. Bad ASSembly.

VIKOS
06-27-2010, 10:45 PM
I agree I use the space that the stingers pivot on to dial in how much or how even both look. The gap is usually either more or less depending on either one.

forescott
06-28-2010, 12:53 AM
I lay mine on a flat surface with the props removed and measure the distance between the stinger and the flat surface with a wood shim. It makes it much easier to keep the stingers the same height.

Rogue
06-28-2010, 06:05 AM
The venom 4S 3200mAh batteries fit fine. I suggest short run time with these batteries on stock 32mm props and you shouldn't have any problems. Run the 36mm props with 3S batteries and the boat goes really well.

Bug777
07-30-2010, 05:29 PM
I ordered my boat this week. I can't wait for it to get here. The lake is looking sooo good at the moment & the weather is starting to warm up as well

forescott
07-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Cool, be sure to read up on the forums on what to look out for before running it.:thumbup1:

scubasteve95
07-30-2010, 10:30 PM
I'd check how well your boat is made. On my friend's boat the scale is more or less useless as left and right stinger and not glues at the same angle :ThumbsDown01:
It is so bad you don't even need a gauge to see the difference in angle. So you can just eye ball it to be more or less even unless one take time to see how much the are out and factor that it into the calculations. Bad ASSembly.

I lay mine on a flat surface with the props removed and measure the distance between the stinger and the flat surface with a wood shim. It makes it much easier to keep the stingers the same height.

your right on with the assembly of the stingers...
the scale is of no help..
i do almost the same as forescott but i use a level to get the boat level and
then the level across to both stingers this way you know there perfect.

Bug777
07-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the advise. I will post pics when i get it. I have also ordered 4 x Venom 5000mah 3S for it.

Bug777
08-05-2010, 03:22 PM
I picked it up last night & put the props & rudder on. I gave it a tow in the shop on its trailer & it tows nicely. I have just got to wait for some larger batteries to arrive so that i can run it.

What does everone use for hatch tape? This is the first boat that i have owned which requires it.

forescott
08-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Caution!! The included hatch tape may remove the paint! It did on mine. I always use colored vinyl electrical tape from any home depot/hardware store. Its sticky enough to seal the hatch, but comes off without removing paint.

LarrysDrifter
08-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Me,being still pretty new to FE,I liked the venom tape.I dont buy it anymore-cost too much for how much you get.The only other I have used is the tape from OSE,which is hockey tape.It works okay,but comes off when running sometimes.Especially after a wipe out.

scubasteve95
08-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Caution!! The included hatch tape may remove the paint! It did on mine. I always use colored vinyl electrical tape from any home depot/hardware store. Its sticky enough to seal the hatch, but comes off without removing paint.

:iagree:

i did use the included tape but had no issues...
had i known i would not have used it.
i would still toss it and get yourself some elec.tape.

Bug777
08-06-2010, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the heads up. The boat did not come with any tape anyway. Eleco tape sounds like the go. I can get heaps of that. I will try & give it a run this weekend.

Bug777
08-06-2010, 05:05 AM
I have just tried programing the esc's for reverse. The port esc will not reverse but the starbord esc will & i have programmed them both the same. I have also noticed that the port esc is slower to repond than the starbord 1. Is this common?

forescott
08-06-2010, 05:17 AM
I have just tried programing the esc's for reverse. The port esc will not reverse but the starbord esc will & i have programmed them both the same. I have also noticed that the port esc is slower to repond than the starbord 1. Is this common?
I'm not sure that I know of anyone who is using the reverse function on the esc's.

forescott
08-06-2010, 05:19 AM

i did use the included tape but had no issues...
had i known i would not have used it.
i would still toss it and get yourself some elec.tape.

I'm thinkin that the paint was not completely cured when I got mine new. Havent had any problems since.

Bug777
08-06-2010, 05:48 AM
I'm not sure that I know of anyone who is using the reverse function on the esc's.

I only want the reverse so that i can reverse it off the trailer that i have built for it.

forescott
08-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Ahhh, got any pics of that trailer?? I'd like to see it.

Bug777
08-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Here is a link to the build thread i did for it.
http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=522782
It had the boat from the lhs sitting on it. The rudder has about 50mm between it & the ground.

forescott
08-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Looks good! Here is the one I built for my shockweave 55.

Bug777
08-07-2010, 04:39 AM
Very neat looking trailer.

I took it for a run today. I did not get any water inside of it & it went ok. I noticed that the bow was digging in a bit. I will try & move the batteries back a little before adjusting the strut angle.

scubasteve95
08-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Looks good! Here is the one I built for my shockweave 55.

DUDE.....
thats home built?
not from a kit.....
thats friggen awsome.:buttrock:

forescott
08-07-2010, 07:12 PM
DUDE.....
thats home built?
not from a kit.....
thats friggen awsome.:buttrock:

I was actually suprised it came out as well as it did. I used traxxas slash tires/wheels, i/2 inch welded box steel and had it powder coated to match the hull. Hardest part was making the fenders. Here is a couple more pics.

Bug777
08-07-2010, 07:40 PM
That is an amazing job. What do you tow it with? Could you retrieve the boat with out helping it onto the trailer?

forescott
08-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Aww shucks!:blush: I tried towing it with my summit once. It wasnt really set up to roll. More for display!

Brushless55
08-07-2010, 09:36 PM
I was actually suprised it came out as well as it did. I used traxxas slash tires/wheels, i/2 inch welded box steel and had it powder coated to match the hull. Hardest part was making the fenders. Here is a couple more pics.

OHHH man!
that would be killer for my Rio 51z :rockon2:
beats the stock wood stand

Bug777
08-08-2010, 02:48 AM
I took it for another run today. I was a bit disappointed in how it went. It still seems to be nose down when running. I think i will start mucking around with the strut angle now.

VIKOS
08-08-2010, 03:07 AM
strut angle will help alot speaking of struts my flex cable snapped the other day right by the coupler. Had to remove the pieces that where still bolted in lost the left machined prop..and this was the stronger cables from jeff on stock motors..I was surprised that this could actually happen even when lubed and cleaned on the regular.lol

scubasteve95
08-08-2010, 12:29 PM
ive been using jeffs wires there built like brick sh!t houses.....
tough as nails and take all the abuse i give them.
i would go with those...i'll never use flex again.
vikos is right get your stingers more pos.

forescott
08-08-2010, 05:58 PM
I took it for another run today. I was a bit disappointed in how it went. It still seems to be nose down when running. I think i will start mucking around with the strut angle now.

Which batteries are you using? And you have the venom red props right? 32 or 36mm?

forescott
08-08-2010, 06:00 PM
ive been using jeffs wires there built like brick sh!t houses.....
tough as nails and take all the abuse i give them.
i would go with those...i'll never use flex again.
vikos is right get your stingers more pos.

If you have the extra cash, the wire drives are really the way to go on the ekos. I have a set of Jeffs flex cables that I've never used. They fit a little tight in the stock stuffing tubes.

LarrysDrifter
08-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Im with forescott on the wire drives.They are awesome.Be sure to use collets and not the set screw type couplers.

Bug777
08-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Which batteries are you using? And you have the venom red props right? 32 or 36mm?

I am using a pair of LRP 2200mah 3S 25C LiPo's. I am waiting on some 5000mah batteries to arrive. I just have the stock props which came with it.

I have spoken to Venom about the Port ESC. I have to return it to them for warranty. I should have the replacement back by Thurseday this week.

Bug777
08-09-2010, 12:36 AM
Im with forescott on the wire drives.They are awesome.Be sure to use collets and not the set screw type couplers.

Thanks. I will look into this later. I have to get some larger batteries first.

forescott
08-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Definetely! The mah on your batteries is too low and is most likely the cause of poor performance. Don't get too concerned with the stinger trim until you get those new packs.

Bug777
08-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Ok. Thanks. I will order them in the next couple of days.

scubasteve95
08-09-2010, 10:24 AM
bug777,
3s-5000mah packs are only going to give
you more run time(you are using 3s-2200mah correct)
also more weight.
she will run even more nose heavy but longer.
i'm thinking you will still need to get your stingers more pos
or she will still run wet.
i could be wrong but sounds right to me.

forescott
08-09-2010, 06:13 PM
True scuba, but if the mah is too low then the batteries wont put out enough amps that the motors require to reach their maximum potential. I wouldnt dip below 3000mah on any brushless setup.

forescott
08-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Also, some of the off-brand cheaper lipos are only rated at around 15c, which is inadequate.

scubasteve95
08-09-2010, 09:56 PM
True scuba, but if the mah is too low then the batteries wont put out enough amps that the motors require to reach their maximum potential. I wouldnt dip below 3000mah on any brushless setup.

i started my boat on 3s-2200mah.
didn't jump up to the 4s-5000mah for about a month,
i thought i ran great.but i took apart the whole boat
and messed with the whole set-up
before i ran.

scubasteve95
08-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Also, some of the off-brand cheaper lipos are only rated at around 15c, which is inadequate.

what c are yours?
my 4s-5000 are only 20-40

VIKOS
08-10-2010, 02:58 AM

I don't know everyones complaining about the collet issues more than the set screw issues,maybe because no one is running them but with the 4 set screws on the flex shafts and blue loctite Ihave no issues at all..like I said flex shaft twisted snapped clean of and the screws where still tight as nails...

forescott
08-10-2010, 10:31 AM
what c are yours?
my 4s-5000 are only 20-40

I'm using turnigy 3300 4s 30-40c and 3600 4s 30-40c

forescott
08-10-2010, 10:33 AM
I don't know everyones complaining about the collet issues more than the set screw issues,maybe because no one is running them but with the 4 set screws on the flex shafts and blue loctite Ihave no issues at all..like I said flex shaft twisted snapped clean of and the screws where still tight as nails...

I think they both work great. I have Jeffs couplers for the flex cables too. I just like the collet style better so far.

VIKOS
08-10-2010, 01:42 PM
right right. Gona try the couplers for wire drive that he sells some time in the near future while parts are on order..I'm just looking for 50mph from this boat and she'll be fun..that is on 5S of course lol

Bug777
08-10-2010, 05:46 PM
These are the batteries that i am looking to purchase. Are they any good?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10097

forescott
08-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Those are perfect. A set of 30c packs are actually more than enough if they have em in stock you can save a couple of bucks!

forescott
08-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I have the exact same packs and they are awesome.

Bug777
08-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks. I will be ordering them with in the next couple of weeks.

forescott
08-10-2010, 08:34 PM
You might want to consider ordering a few sets of connectors. The ones that come with the lipos wont match up to the stockers anyway. Hobbyking sells ec-5 connectors for only a couple of bucks a set. They are a good upgrade for you're ekos.

Bug777
08-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks. I use deans style plugs on all of my stuff anyway. I got a phone call from Venom about the ESC i sent them. They reckon it works fine. I will see when they send it back if it works, other wise i think the motor is playing up. They are also sending up a programming lead for the esc's as well.

LarrysDrifter
08-10-2010, 09:07 PM
You will be much better off using bullets.Save the deans for your cars n trucks.Or throw them away.I used deans on my boats,and while they are nice,arent meant for the amps FE has.Bullets are probably on of the best up-grades you can do for your boat.

Brushless55
08-10-2010, 10:02 PM
These are the batteries that i am looking to purchase. Are they any good?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10097

I have the 30c versions and they work great!
and I think they are much cheaper

scubasteve95
08-10-2010, 10:09 PM
You might want to consider ordering a few sets of connectors. The ones that come with the lipos wont match up to the stockers anyway. Hobbyking sells ec-5 connectors for only a couple of bucks a set. They are a good upgrade for you're ekos.

HOBBYKING IS OUT OF STOCK

EBAY $3.00+CHANGE A PAIR SHIPPED
I JUST PICKED UP 12 SETS 37.33 TOTAL

Rogue
08-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Yes these batteries are great and well priced. I use them often and no problems.

Bug777
08-11-2010, 12:50 AM
I got the esc back & put it. Still no reverse. I powered up the port motor with other esc & got reverse. Venom are now sending a new one to lhs for friday.

forescott
08-11-2010, 04:46 AM
Thanks. I use deans style plugs on all of my stuff anyway. I got a phone call from Venom about the ESC i sent them. They reckon it works fine. I will see when they send it back if it works, other wise i think the motor is playing up. They are also sending up a programming lead for the esc's as well.

Deans will probably work ok for the stock setup. If you upgrade your motors in the future you might want to consider some kind of bullet connector.

forescott
08-11-2010, 04:51 AM
I have the 30c versions and they work great!
and I think they are much cheaper

The price jumps quite a bit when batteries exceed 30c. I personally don't buy into the 40,50,60+ C-ratings of some of the new lipos. I think they are too expensive, overrated and in most setups, overkill.

Bug777
08-12-2010, 03:44 AM
The new esc arrived at the lhs today. I will see if it works tomorrow. I will also try & get some video of the boat getting off & on the trailer over the weekend.

JPriami
08-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Could you provide a link to the bullet connectors you guys are using?
Looked at some EC5 connectors but they are out of stock.
what about these?
HXT 4mm Gold Connector w/ Protector (http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=9283)
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/catalog/AM1009x10.jpg

JPriami
08-12-2010, 08:17 PM
ordered those because i need a plug that i can get a 10awg wire in. they should be fine.

forescott
08-12-2010, 09:25 PM
If your packs are from hobbyking.com, then these are the connectors that come with.

JPriami
08-12-2010, 09:40 PM
mine didnt come with connectors they are hyperions

forescott
08-12-2010, 10:08 PM
ahh ok. The turnigy lipos from hobbyking come with those connectors. I havent used them before but they look like they will work just fine. Any 5mm bullet will handle more current than a traxxas/deans connector.

JPriami
08-12-2010, 10:16 PM
I bought the venom universal connector kit last week and got them yesterday. Im not even going to bother using those for these packs. My mistake :(

scubasteve95
08-12-2010, 11:17 PM
there only 4mm but there still
better then deans...you should be fine.

Bug777
08-12-2010, 11:43 PM
I tried the new esc & it didnot work either. Now Venom want both esc's, transmitter & receiver sent bcak to them. We tried a different receiver & it still only gave me starboard side reverse.

scubasteve95
08-13-2010, 12:00 AM
OK....
you plug in both esc's and 1 does not work...correct
unplug esc's and swap them..now does the esc on the side that
didn't work ....work...or the esc now not work on the other side?
if so esc is bad
if not some other issue,you may have already tried this...did not see in posts.

Bug777
08-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Port esc would not reverse. Starboard side will. Plugged motor from port side into starboard esc & it works properly. Plugged starboard engine into port esc & still no reverse. Removed "Y"harness & tried each esc individually. Same result. Sent first esc back to Venom. They said it was fine. I got it back & still the same issue. Venom then sent a new esc to the lhs. We tried it & still the same issues. We tried a different receiver but no difference.

Venom now want the transmitter, receiver & both esc's sent down so that they can see what's going on.

VIKOS
08-13-2010, 12:59 AM
see she turns when you reverse lol whats the problem...just learn to drive you will never use reverse unless your in a pond that 20'X20' lol in that case get a mini...

Bug777
08-13-2010, 01:03 AM
I only want reverse so that it can get on & off it's trailer.

VIKOS
08-13-2010, 01:05 AM
lol wow really trying to be realistic here huh? lol god speed then..

Bug777
08-20-2010, 03:25 PM
I got the boat backyesterday from Venom. They fixed the reverse problem which was great. It was to do with the sub trim. When i sent the controller down the throttle sub trim was at -18, when i got it back it is now -12.

Bug777
08-23-2010, 12:25 AM
The boat is going better now. Here are some pics. Once i get my new batts in a couple of weeks i will post another video.
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMGP0668.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMGP0711.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMGP0661.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMGP0659.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMGP0681.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMGP0658.jpg

JPriami
08-23-2010, 12:28 AM
cool pics

Bug777
08-24-2010, 03:07 AM
Will these plugs handle the current?http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=67&Product_Name=4mm_Gold_Connectors_10_pairs_(20pc)

I will be placeing my order for the batteries in the next couple of days & want to ge the connectors at the same time.

forescott
08-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Yup, 4mm is fine. Stock bullets from motor to esc are 3.5mm.

forescott
08-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Depending on what type of batteries you purchase you might need larger bullets. Some batteries have 10 or even 8 gauge wire, which may be too big for those 4mm bullets. Check the battery specs before you get em.

Bug777
08-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks forescott for your help. I have ordered these today.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10306
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9194
Now i just have to wait a couple of weeks for it to get here. I will post pics & thoughts once they arrive.

forescott
08-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Nice, I have those same packs as well. :cool2:

Bug777
09-07-2010, 12:06 AM
The new batts arrived today. Now the long soldering night infront of me converting all of the connectors over includine making charging leads.

Bug777
09-07-2010, 05:01 PM
I went to fit the packs today & it looks like i have to modify the battery box's a bit to get the cables out otherwise the batts don't sit flat on the floor.

JPriami
09-07-2010, 05:05 PM
I think we spend more time working on the boats than running them lol.

forescott
09-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Thats half the fun though!!

Diesel6401
09-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Thats half the fun though!!

Bug777
09-07-2010, 09:38 PM
I just got back from a run with the new batts. WOW what a difference they make. I will get a video up next week

Bug777
09-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Here are some pics with the new batts installed & a picture of the mod that i did to the battery tray.
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMG_1538-1.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMG_1539.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMG_1535.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMG_1541.jpg

JPriami
09-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Glad you got it worked out. Good idea

Bug777
09-12-2010, 12:10 AM
I took it for a run today. I put 2 sets of batteries through it & now i am having issues with the esc's again. the port esc is making different noises to the starbord 1. They both work if i bypass the "Y" harness. I can not acces the programing using the programming card. I have to use the beep method to change parameters. The "Y'" harness is only a couple of days old with 3 packs ran through it.

I am happy with how the boat runs other wise. I have got the timing set to 15 degrees & the esc's & batteries are all cold. I am going to try 18.5 degrees next time & see how that goes.

forescott
09-12-2010, 12:37 AM
What noises are you speaking of? remember the starboard esc will beep one time every second until the port side is connected. The port side should be connected second. I always program the esc's one at a time because sometimes the motors beep slightly out of sync when you try to program them at the same time and it becomes confusing.

Bug777
09-12-2010, 01:31 AM
The tone of the beeps is different. The port esc is a deeper tone than the starboard. I also program them individually using a venom programming card which is easier than using the beep method.

I have spoken with the lhs about it & i have to take the boat back to them so that they can send it back to Venom again.

Bug777
09-13-2010, 01:29 AM
I ordered a pair of alloy props today. 36mm. Venom did not have the anodized props so i had to go with the cheaper 1's. I also sorted out the "Y" harness issue. There must have been some moisture in the harness because today it worked fine.

JPriami
09-13-2010, 10:16 AM
just check the balance on the props. you may have to balance them. and you will want to sharpen them as well. and im not sure of the cast of those props they may need to be cleaned up and smoothed out. some 800 grit then 1000 grit and some metal polish works nice to finish & polish

JPriami
09-13-2010, 10:22 AM
I am happy with how the boat runs other wise. I have got the timing set to 15 degrees & the esc's & batteries are all cold. I am going to try 18.5 degrees next time & see how that goes.

Im a bit inquisative about the 15 deg of timing people seem to be running. My esc's manual says that 15 deg of timing is for outrunners with more poles. so what is the advantage of running a 2 pole motor at this setting?

Bug777
09-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks JPriami,

I thought i would have to clean & balance them. They should be here late this week or early next week.

15 degrees is what Venom set the timing too out of the box. I was thinking seen as i am not getting any heat that i will go up 1 setting at a time until i get a little bit of heat in the esc's, motors & batts.

This is my first FE boat so i am on a steep learning curve at the moment.

JPriami
09-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Same here Im at a learning curve here too. I came from gas/nitro

Bug777
09-14-2010, 02:17 AM
I had a try at nitro boats. I have mainly been into nitro, gas & electric cars.

The props i will have to balance & sharpen before use. I will post pics once i get them.

Bug777
09-19-2010, 03:11 AM
I took it for a run today trying to get a video. Well i broke a blade off the starboard prop & almost flipped the boat on a turn. I replaced both props & took it for a second go but that did not last long either because i lost the prop & flex shaft out of the port engine into about 4 meters of water.

I was not a happy at all. It seams everytime i take this boat out something goes wrong with it.

JPriami
09-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Sure these boats are not made by ford? Fix Or Repair Daily?

Bug777
09-20-2010, 02:58 AM
I know things break & that's a fact of life. It's just frustrating That i have got a Summit which I abuse & have abused since June last year & nothing has broken on it yet.

JPriami
09-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Traxxas :thumbup1:

Bug777
10-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Picked up some new rims & tyres today for the Summit, here are some pics with the EKOS on the trailer behind it. I just need to paint a body the same colours as the EKOS now & it will be finished.
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMG_1568.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMG_1565.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMG_1566.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMG_1567.jpg

Boomer
10-10-2010, 11:24 AM
It would be great if you have a lake you can actually launch the boat off the trailer!Like to see a video of that. I have seen a number of different RC boats on trailers and like the look. I have seen some real ocean racing cats being transported on specially designed so that the boats are on angle to over come the "wide load" high way issues. Might be interesting to build one like the big guys have.

Very nice!
Boomer

Bug777
10-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Thanks mate. Check out this thread. It shows how it launches & retreives. I am happy with how it performs http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=17088

Bug777
10-30-2010, 12:29 AM
I took it for a run today. I ran 2 sets of batts back to back with no issues. It is going well now. Here is a vid of how it went.http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/th_EKOSrun.jpg (http://s924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/?action=view&current=EKOSrun.mp4)

Boomer
10-30-2010, 01:30 AM
Bug
Looking good! I viewed the video next to this one of the RC off road vehicle launching your boat ,very nifty! It almost looked like your boat has reverse? No, say isn't true, and it was the river's current that took the boat away from the trailer.....................
Very cool stuff mate.
Boomer

Bug777
10-30-2010, 02:00 AM
Bug
Looking good! I viewed the video next to this one of the RC off road vehicle launching your boat ,very nifty! It almost looked like your boat has reverse? No, say isn't true, and it was the river's current that took the boat away from the trailer.....................
Very cool stuff mate.
Boomer

Thanks mate.

Yes it does have reverse. All EKOS'S have it. You just have to program the esc's. The reverse is 1 of the reason's i brought this boat. I just purchased another body shell for the Summit. I am painting it the same colours as the boat & i am putting blue wheel nuts on the trailer as well. I will post pics of it once it is done.

Boomer
10-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Very good information. I am going to reprogram it! What batteries are you running. I am sure you listed that some where here. How fast to think it goes (forward)
Thanks for that heads up!:thumbup1:
Boomer

Bug777
10-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks mate. I am running these batteries. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10306 & get about 8 - 10 min's run time. I can only guess how quick it goes. I was overtaking cars in a 60km/h zone the other day. The timing is set to 18.5 degrees & both engines & battery leads are warm to touch. You may need to adjust the sub trim to get both engines to reverse. I found this out once it went back to Venom due to only 1 engine reversing. We tried 2 esc's before venom took the boat back & had a look.

Bug777
11-02-2010, 09:19 PM
I painted the body for it today. Here are some pics;
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMG_1569.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMG_1571.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMG_1572.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMG_1574.jpg

Boomer
11-02-2010, 10:32 PM
I like it! Very nice work amigo! You are making some of us look bad. Lots of fun!
Boomer

Bug777
11-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks Boomer. It has taken a few months but i am happy with the result.

Bug777
11-04-2010, 12:04 AM
How do i reduce the amount of cavitation out of corners. On the vid you will see that it cavitates when exiting. It is running stock engines, flex drives & 36mm plastic props. I was thinking of getting the Venom prop match props 36mm.

Bug777
11-18-2010, 09:38 PM
My Venom props arrived today. Here are some pics. I did notice that the slot in the props where the drive dog goes are 1 - 2mm too wide for the drive dogs on both props.
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMG_1575.jpg
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad87/Bug777_album/IMG_1576.jpg

Bug777
05-15-2012, 05:38 AM
I know this is an old thread, but my problems have continued. I replaced the esc due to letting out the magic smoke & now the port motor clunks & won't run. Venom no longer make the motor Ven-1399.

What is a good cheep replacment for these motors?
I am running the standard esc's, 36mm alloy props with standard flex shafts.

I really don't want to change the mounts.

scubasteve95
05-15-2012, 08:17 PM
GLAD TO SEE SOMEONE DIDN'T LISTEN TO THE NA-SAYERS
and kept what turned out to be a awesome running boat.....
after all those negitive waves of rebranding and venom is this or that like all the companys they deal with make there own stuff i got away from this puff up your chest and flap your wings site.....let me stop with the truth for a moment and answer your question.
go with 4s-45c,10xl's,hobbyking 100a esc's,wire drives ,42mm cr props if you want reliable 60+.....or 9xl's ,wire drives,3s your esc's with the 36mm she'll be plenty fast still

Brushless55
05-15-2012, 08:48 PM
GLAD TO SEE SOMEONE DIDN'T LISTEN TO THE NA-SAYERS
and kept what turned out to be a awesome running boat.....
after all those negitive waves of rebranding and venom is this or that like all the companys they deal with make there own stuff i got away from this puff up your chest and flap your wings site.....let me stop with the truth for a moment and answer your question.
go with 4s-45c,10xl's,hobbyking 100a esc's,wire drives ,42mm cr props if you want reliable 60+.....or 9xl's ,wire drives,3s your esc's with the 36mm she'll be plenty fast still

:lol:
holly crap, really?

so your listing out yourself for this rebraned boat with the venom name on it, electronics and drives that are far better than what it came with right????

way to go buddy, ya kinda said it yourself.. :blink:

for what is worth, I have my second EKOS sitting on the shelf cuz it's so dang purdy.. :blush:

Bug777
05-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the advice. I just looked on the home page under b/l motors & could not find the 9XL anywhere.

Brushless55
05-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the advice. I just looked on the home page under b/l motors & could not find the 9XL anywhere.

That's because Steven is no longer carring those motors
if your looking for a 3s motor the LBP2860/2Y cold be a great choice
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=leo-2860&cat=148
these motor are better that the Feigao motors he once had :tiphat:

Bug777
05-16-2012, 02:49 AM
That's because Steven is no longer carring those motors
if your looking for a 3s motor the LBP2860/2Y cold be a great choice
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=leo-2860&cat=148
these motor are better that the Feigao motors he once had :tiphat:
Thanks. I'll order a couple on a few days.

Do i need to get water jackets as well?

Brushless55
05-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Yes you will..
You'll have fun with those motors!

Bug777
05-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks for you help Brushless 55.

Is there any tips for getting the old motors out?

Those bolts are hard to get onto.

Brushless55
05-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Thanks for you help Brushless 55.

Is there any tips for getting the old motors out?

Those bolts are hard to get onto.

have very small hands! :lol:

they are hard to get to, no real tips from me on this one..
just take you time with it.. :thumbup1:

forescott
05-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Too bad the feigaos are discontinued. I have the 9xls. Had em for three years now and still running strong! I like the 2612kv. Its a great wind if you like to bounce back and forth from 3s reliably to 4s for short speed runs. I'm sure the leopards are awesome though.

Bug777
05-17-2012, 06:07 AM
Ok guys thanks for the advice.

One last question on those motors. Will the EKOS collet between the motor & flex shaft fit these motors?

Bug777
05-18-2012, 07:53 AM
I just ordered those motors.:smile: Now just need to wait for them.

forescott
05-18-2012, 11:04 PM
If I recall correctly stock ekos motors had an odd size motor shaft. I had to change mine out. Be sure they slide on snug with no wiggle room or they will cause vibration and you'll lose speed and motor screws. Good luck!!

Bug777
05-19-2012, 04:22 AM
So i may have to get new collars then.

I'll post pics of the motor change out as i do it.

Bug777
05-23-2012, 05:16 AM
I removed the motors tonight to get the hull ready for the new one's when they arrive. I ended up cutting down an Allen Key so that i was able to get more turn on the bolts.

These would have to be the worst bolts to get out. It took me 1hr to take out 4 bolts.

Bug777
05-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Will this stuffing tube fit the EKOS?
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-oc130t-24
Will this coupler do for the motor to flex?
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-ocfhe4mm13

silvermansteve
05-26-2012, 05:47 AM
me too, i'd like to know about this.

Bug777
05-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Can anyone help?

Bug777
05-29-2012, 12:14 AM
If I recall correctly stock ekos motors had an odd size motor shaft. I had to change mine out. Be sure they slide on snug with no wiggle room or they will cause vibration and you'll lose speed and motor screws. Good luck!!

My motors arrived today. Thanks Steve. But i placed an order for the couplings about 1hr before they arrived. I tried the standard couplings & they fit perfectly. I have since found that the standard motors have the same size shaft as the leopards.