PDA

View Full Version : Piano Wire Shafts

Team Jericho
06-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Steven over at OSE mentioned that I should speak to Jeff Wabout getting some piano wire shafts for my EKOS. Unfortunately there is no Jeff W on this forum...at least I cannot find him.

I am running my boat now with 9XLs and 3S, with the Venom 36mm machined props(eventually 442s) and the stock 4 mm coil shafts. Steven at OSE says that I can get the proper fitting piano wire shafts through Jeff W?

If anyone can help me out it is much appreciated.

Thanks very much!

Peter

AndyKunz
06-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Jeff Wohlt is who you're looking for. I just e-mailed him to check this thread.

Andy

Jeff Wohlt
06-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Here I am....you can find those wire drives at rcraceboat.com and click EKOS on the front page.

Team Jericho
06-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

Team Jericho
06-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Just on your site now...I bought similar couplers from OSE last week, the ones with 6 screws altogether. Problems is, with the ones OSE sent me, the positioning hex screws are too long and are not flush when screwed in...they hit the inside of the motor mounts! Very hard to find shorter size but same tread for these small hex screws in my area... are yours flush after being screwed in? Or what about those Octura flex hex couplers? Would those be better for piano wire shafts? Thanks.

Jeff Wohlt
06-14-2010, 03:18 PM
If for the EKOS then the Octura versions have to have the mount drilled out to sit in there. Those were probably some of my couplers you got from OSE or maybe not and YES the set screws could be too long. I will be glad to send you a couple 1/8" set screws or you can go to acehardware and get a couple...they are 6/32 x 1/8 for those.

Team Jericho
06-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Ok thanks, I will try our local hardware store here in Ottawa(Canada) this evening and will let you know. Without the screws being flush, she no go.

Jeff Wohlt
06-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Got ya covered if you need some. I forget at times that the EKOS couplers have to have the short ones.

Team Jericho
06-16-2010, 11:01 AM
I finally found the shorter set screws yesterday. Was no easy task but now I know where to go! Did the install last night of the 9XLs, removed battery tray for the 4S - 5800s, and your fit shaft couplers. One of the couplers does not seem to be 100% balanced, ie.e turning with a very slight "wobble"...is there anything I can do here? Should I not run the boat? Maybe I did not screw the set screws in properly? Let me know please. I think I may have to order another....together with your piano wire shafts.

Jeff Wohlt
06-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Did you grind a flat spot on the wires? Yes, make sure you tighten them down equally. There should not be a wobble. Make sure the wire is not doing it.

If you can see it then on slow running then there may be an issue.

Jeff Wohlt
06-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Did you get the wire drive couplers from me? Hard for me to tell since I do not see names on here. I do have the Octura versions but the mount needs modifying to get them on deeper.

Team Jericho
06-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Bought the couplers from OSE but looks like from you..anyway, the it seems that the coupler is wobbling, not the wire. I have never grinded a flat spot on my shafts ever...should I? I may take it all apart after what you say and try to re-fit again...

Jeff Wohlt
06-16-2010, 12:28 PM
I have not built any of the 062 for OSE. You might check with him.

Jeff Wohlt
06-17-2010, 12:07 AM
For some reason my post did not post.

I thought you said WIRE so that is why I wondered. Is this a flex cable with a 1/8x130 coupler? I will always back up a dealer with my stuff if bought from Steven/OSE.

If so then it is mine and I am happy to replace it. Mail me the old one so I can check it and I will make you a new one.

forescott
06-17-2010, 02:22 AM
I am running my boat now with 9XLs and 3S, with the Venom 36mm machined props(eventually 442s)

I do not reccomend the 442's with the 9xl's. I ran that setup this last weekend and the motors were very hot. I would go no larger than the cf-40's on the 9xl.

Jeff Wohlt
06-17-2010, 08:25 AM
You can detongue those 442s and lighten the load. I have also squared off the tips with good results that make it a 40mm

nomobux
06-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Did you grind a flat spot on the wires? Yes, make sure you tighten them down equally. There should not be a wobble. Make sure the wire is not doing it.

If you can see it then on slow running then there may be an issue.

Jeff. Are you saying you need flats on the wire ??

forescott
06-17-2010, 08:01 PM
You can detongue those 442s and lighten the load. I have also squared off the tips with good results that make it a 40mm

I had Chuck Genge do that for me already. Still runs pretty hot.

Jeff Wohlt
06-17-2010, 11:33 PM
You certainly should put a slight flat on any wire drive. I make it flat all the way out past the coupler so I can see where the set screws are going to touch it. If not then you slightly tighten the set screw and turn the shaft until you fill the easy part hit and then you lock it down. Do not grind TOO much off just a file of a flat area is good.

If not they will spin under big props or high torque. This also aloows you not to have to tighten the set screws so tight you stip them...use loctite!!

Jeepers
06-18-2010, 01:06 AM
I do not reccomend the 442's with the 9xl's. I ran that setup this last weekend and the motors were very hot. I would go no larger than the cf-40's on the 9xl.

Interesting that you say that. I used a 9xl and a442 in a mono on 4s2p 5000 (10,000mah) and the prop was s/b and detounged. and I it never got hot at all speeds was in the mid to upper 40s. this was in a mono. I wonder whats making your temps so high? bind in the driveline etc?

T.C.
06-18-2010, 12:36 PM
I make my owne wire drives and use Jeff's coupler, I also put a flat on the wire but it looks more like a notch.
It looks like a notch because I only have the flat at one set screw, this keeps the wire in the center of the coupler as it's still supported on each side of the set screw.
It also makes it stronger, every wire I have broken has been at the flat, the flat is only there to keep the wire from spinning, the second set of set screws hold it in place, those are the ones closest to the stuff tube.
I also tighten the sets at the flat carefully as you can bend and weaken the wire if not.
I snug the side with the flat and then tighten the opposite side, then go back to the side with the flat and retighten it.
I also solder my wires to the stub shaft, but that's another story.
Hope this helps?
T.C.

forescott
06-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Interesting that you say that. I used a 9xl and a442 in a mono on 4s2p 5000 (10,000mah) and the prop was s/b and detounged. and I it never got hot at all speeds was in the mid to upper 40s. this was in a mono. I wonder whats making your temps so high? bind in the driveline etc?

Are we talkin 380xl or 540xl?? I have the 380-9xl's.