PDA

View Full Version : Bending stuffing tube???

Mich. Maniac
04-12-2007, 08:31 PM
I have looked at OSE's tips page and still have another couple questions about stuffing tubes. What is the best way to bend the tube. By that I mean you heat it up and then should you still use pipe bender or just drape it over a large steel pipe until desired ange? Also What keeps the teflon from spinning inside the brass tube?

SJFE
04-12-2007, 08:48 PM
I bend them by hand. I havent had to heat one up yet.

JimClark
04-12-2007, 08:52 PM
fill the tube with salt or sugar and you can pretty much bend into any shape you need of course you need to seal the ends so you need to have the tube longer than needed.

Jim

Mich. Maniac
04-12-2007, 08:53 PM
hmm, thats a good idea. Im going to try my first bend. THanks for your help. as soon as Im done with boat you wont have to deal with my dumb quest's anymore!LOL

lferguson
04-12-2007, 09:14 PM
I went down to Harbor Freight and picked up a tubing bender like this one but for smaller sizes. Hasn't failed me yet....
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3755

SJFE
04-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Yeah the guys @ the shop offered to let me use one. I think they used it for brake line...Thing was filty...I was like...um no keep that nasty thing...lol

Mich. Maniac
04-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Well... I bent both tubes. both bent in a slight S shape and came out nearlyy perfect and matched eachother perfectly. now I just have to cut to length. thanks for all help and I had an alarm clock in the garage with a curved edges and worked great!

SJFE
04-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Sweet.....glad you gotem on the first try.

diesel1984
04-13-2007, 11:30 AM
not to take your thunder Mich Maniac...but to whoever knows do i need to bend my brass tube or no for the aqua jet?can i just angle it in or what? i should have just bought a real nice boat for what time and $$ ive done with this...

lferguson
04-13-2007, 11:35 AM
IMO, you are always WAYYY happier building your own boat, even if it sucks when you are finished. I found that out right after I bought my SV27. I will never by another RTR for myself. Thats just my opinion and you know everyone has their own. I should add RTR's have their place for sure, I would buy an SV or CEN for my daughter or something or if you have absolutly no time to build or on an extreme budget or something.

Mich. Maniac
04-13-2007, 05:31 PM
I hear ya! Ive never built a boat from scratch. this will be a first for about everything. And like you said if it doesnt handle or is slow at least I can learn for the next project. My next challenge will be assembling flexi shaft. I went to local ball bearing distrib. and got a bottle of the 603 and primer.. was 55.00 HOLY WOW BATMAN!!! Im waiting for them to get hear from OSE and will follow tips steps to the tee

ReddyWatts
04-15-2007, 05:30 PM
I bought a tubing bender from Harbor Freight ($6.99) like LFerguson suggested. It worked great for me. Thanks!!!

Mich. Maniac
04-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Ok, now for the teflon, alot of advise says not to use teflon. However I thought if I left it in to line up stuffing tubes then I would have great alignment and smooth spinning, but that stuff is hard to get out. if I line the tubes up and glue them in place, then i think ill break them loose getting teflon out? any advise?

Mich. Maniac
04-15-2007, 09:19 PM
My progress so far. she aint pretty but she'll go to the dance!!!

Mich. Maniac
04-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Ok, I got my flex cable, strut and motor, I just glued together my right hand cable to a prop shaft and realized the threads on prop shaft are not left hand threads. Wont it work my prop nut loose?

Fluid
04-16-2007, 08:58 PM
No, as long as the nut has a good tight crimp on it. But beware, I recently got a bunch of nuts that had almost no crimp - they would be a problem no matter which direction your shaft spins.

Mich. Maniac
04-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the info, I dont think the nut I got has any crimp. would a bullet nut have that?