PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof swordfish 120 esc

Jabbo
06-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Do I need to waterproof my swordfish 120 esc and if so how?:confused1:

Dangerous_Toys
06-13-2010, 07:45 PM
They should be water resistant. atleast the info on then says they are.

Rumdog
06-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Water proof the boat and you dont have to worry about the esc!

Diesel6401
06-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Do I need to waterproof my swordfish 120 esc and if so how?:confused1:

I would and did. I had a aquastar 120amp (same thing) and blasted a giant hole in the side of my ul-1 hull at full speed when I hit a turtle, the boat started sinking and filling up with water drowing the esc which shorted out and smoked my receiver. Prior to that I never water proofed anything because I always taped my hatch and never and a water problem before that, but since then I waterproofed all my receivers and when I bought a new esc I waterproofed it added insurance just in case the unthinkable happens.

Diesel6401
06-13-2010, 08:51 PM
They should be water resistant. atleast the info on then says they are.

Key word is resistant not waterproof, a splash here and their it's OK, but full water saturation and it aint going to survive.

I used clear liquid electrical spray tape.
Tear off wrapper on esc spray about 5 coats of this all over the esc making sure that the cooling plugs are covered I just connected hose to each water plug so it did not get clogged from the spray. I waited about 15 minutes in between each coat and after the last coat I let is sit overnight. After that I re-wrapped the esc with F4 tape. If you want to do a receiver take it apart and cover the plugs with a piece of foam and cover the bind button then do the coating and put back together.