PDA

View Full Version : New Prototype Design for EKOS Water Cooling

Team Jericho
06-09-2010, 12:44 PM
My EKOS seemed to have cooling issues from the start. First a hose came off the outlet fitting during my first run ( I could not see it had detached under the deck) and filled the boat with lots of water...then the stock intake tubes were not low enough to get sufficient draw (would have been nice to have at least some instructions from Venom about height etc). I saw another EKOS owner has opened-up and used the water intake on the stock rudder but did not want to drill another hole in my boat just yet for that 3rd hose. So while staring at the thing very late at night I came up with this idea and sketched it on a sticky note before bed. I am using medium hose, "Y" and "T" fittings from OSE. It looks a bit like a spagetti fight or a high school science lab experiment, but I am hoping that even more water will flush through the system, also not being dependant only on the stock tubes should they ever clogg, and perhaps also the travel time of the water through the exterior hose "configuration" may also help with cooling!
As soon as my new 9XLs are installed I will take 'er out for a "pond trial" and then post the outcome. :buttrock:

VIKOS
06-09-2010, 01:20 PM
I hear using bigger tubing and expanding the holes on the hull to same size helps alot for cooling issues but I really have no cooling issues in stock form. But this is also what i might do to keep everything nice and happy though good job.

forescott
06-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Hmmmmm.... That works! It just looks like a ballon animal I bought for my kid at the circus. :popcorn2:

Rumdog
06-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Just so you know, your props should be rotating toward each other, not away from each other.

scubasteve95
06-10-2010, 09:33 AM
It does look alittle ghetto...but...what ever works,
don't be afraid to cut into the
hull any mistakes can be fixed easy..
If you want extra cooling i can send some pics
that will atleast give you a direction or ideas...

Team Jericho
06-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Love the comment about it looking like a balloon animal, never thought of that! LOL May want tone down the ghetto look a bit...Weather permitting I will hopefully try it out this week-end. I actually have a single engine Apparition II on order and my EKOS will get a pimpin' paint/air brush job soon, hot boat style.

forescott
06-12-2010, 11:46 AM
cant wait to see it!

Team Jericho
06-14-2010, 10:12 AM
PS: the ghetto balloon animal water cooling works excellent guys, so good that the water coming out of the hull outlets pees out like a bildge pump on a real boat :)