PDA

View Full Version : Obamas accountablity?

m4a1usr
06-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Well now that we are more then 60 days in to the eco disaster in the gulf of Mexico and the end is literaly not in sight do you think Obama will be held accountable for the federal response to the problem? Bush had his feet held to the coals by the country over Katrina, you guys remember? His adminstration was the fault but he was ultimately held liable by the people and the press. Now its fair play to have the shoe on the other foot. Or is there another set of rules to be obeyed by the Democrats and or liberals? Does Obama have a "get out of jail" card to trump the dissenting public with because the press wants something more? The worst enviornmental disaster in history is occuring literaly before our eyes and it should be nothing that could be dodged or not held accountable for. Lets see how the adminstration is portrayed in the months to come. This could have severe consequences for re election if the country is of a fair mind. Or would that be asking too much from the sheeple?

John

Steven Vaccaro
06-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Come on John, you know Obama is a God. Untouchable. Plus today he said he's ready to kick "ASS". I just hope when he does show up to kick someones "ASS" its a fair fight.

bwells
06-08-2010, 11:16 PM
So far Obama has fined BP, got his Boot on their throat, and going to kick some ass. What more do you want?

Rumdog
06-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Tell me, what did he do wrong? Go ahead blame him. Ridiculous. What more can he as president do? What would YOU have done? Do you think that the gov't isn't working thier asses off trying to find a fix for this? Maybe he should use his magic presidential wand to plug up that hole. The problem is, as of now there is no REAL fix. Also, there are not nearly enough resources to aid in cleanup.

Steven Vaccaro
06-08-2010, 11:34 PM
How about for starters allowing states to try to stop the flow to shore, Like Jindal?

Steven Vaccaro
06-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Tell me, what did he do wrong? Go ahead blame him. Ridiculous. What more can he as president do? What would YOU have done? Do you think that the gov't isn't working thier asses off trying to find a fix for this? Maybe he should use his magic presidential wand to plug up that hole. The problem is, as of now there is no REAL fix. Also, there are not nearly enough resources to aid in cleanup.

So its ok to blame Bush for a natural disaster, but Obama can't be blamed for lack of reaction to the man made disaster? Obama is more of a God than I thought. :bowdown:

domwilson
06-08-2010, 11:53 PM
I'd like to see him with a diving suit, a mallot and a really big cork...:just-kidding:

Steven Vaccaro
06-08-2010, 11:59 PM
I'd like to see him with a diving suit, a mallot and a really big cork...:just-kidding:
That would make for a funny news paper style cartoon picture.

domwilson
06-09-2010, 12:44 AM
That would make for a funny news paper style cartoon picture.

Maybe he's doing as we speak?

m4a1usr
06-09-2010, 01:01 AM
So far Obama has fined BP, got his Boot on their throat, and going to kick some ass. What more do you want?

Define kick some ass? You mean let his administrators get further into bed with the oil companies? Or have you forgotten the headlines from a few weeks ago where the press scorned the federal agencies responsible for, but not conducting adequate inspections (that BTW where required by federal law) that might have put pressure on the contractors and sub contractors to monitor their operations more closely?

This in going to be known as the worst ecological disaster to have occured on the planet, shy of an extinction event like the asteriod that killed the dinasours, if deliberate action is not taken. Its already the worst oil spill in the US history. Lets not down play that fact!

This is the worst oil spill to have ever occured in US history!

That alone speaks volumes. BP says the well will not be plugged until August. We are at the beginning of June. So double (AT LEAST!) what has been washing up on American shores. Double the pain and agony those very people whose lively hood depends on earning their living off the sea. Right now the focus is on short term implications but the scientific community is beginning to see that this disaster is likely to be decades long in remedy.

The ecological impact of this will likely only be known in 20 or 30 years. How much money has been paid out from the fines imposed upon the last known worst oil spill? You know. The Exxon Valdez? Last I heard not a single penny in the levied fines has been paid? $750 million dollars! So we can expect more from our newly elected officials? Go ahead defend them. They are nothing more then current examples of past government failures? But go ahead and tell us how much better then past administrations they are. Then look in the mirror. Whats changed? Thats what I thought. You dont have an answer do you?

John

m4a1usr
06-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Sorry bwells if it appears I am using you as my target. I am not. Your words were perfect to use in my explanation and they lent well with the context. Not an attack on you.

John

domwilson
06-09-2010, 01:16 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minerals_Management_Service

There's been problems for a while.

BHChieftain
06-09-2010, 01:25 AM
With Katrina FEMA bungled the operation when they were told to execute. What government resources are being asked for but are not being provided for the leak? I don't see any execution issues on the gov side at the moment.

I don't think either situation is a conservative or a liberal issue-- it is about competently executing against a plan.

You can debate what is the best plan, but that pretty much breaks down any comparison of the two situations.

IMHO

Chief

domwilson
06-09-2010, 01:32 AM
With Katrina FEMA bungled the operation when they were told to execute. What government resources are being asked for but are not being provided for the leak? I don't see any execution issues on the gov side at the moment.

I don't think either situation is a conservative or a liberal issue-- it is about competently executing against a plan.

You can debate what is the best plan, but that pretty much breaks down any comparison of the two situations.

IMHO

Chief

Excellent point. FEMA screwed up.

Steven Vaccaro
06-09-2010, 07:17 AM
What government resources are being asked for but are not being provided for the leak? I don't see any execution issues on the gov side at the moment.

Do a google search for "jindal asks for barriers", you will find a bunch of things being asked for, from the Feds and much feet dragging.

AndyKunz
06-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Let's see:

Arizona asks the Feds to stop the flow of illegals. The Feds continually do nothing (except bring in FOREIGN dignitaries to slam Arizona in Congress). Arizona takes things into their own hands and Los Angeles BoE reacts by requiring teachers to call Arizona's action "un-American." Of course, Arizona is led by a Conservative Republican.

Now Bobby Jindal asks the Feds to help stop the flow of oil onto the coastline. The Feds drag their feet, talking about how we need to tax oil more to stop the flow, how we need to kick BP for the government not doing its job of inspection. Of courge, Jindal is Conservative and a Republican.

Anybody get the impression that Obama is "punishing" Conservatives and Republicans???

In case anybody forgets, BP stands for British Petroleum. That's not Gulf or Texaco or Sohio or Exxon.

Andy

m4a1usr
06-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Well the news tonight was full of wonderful news of how the coastal contaminated locations were lacking leadership for action, thats government required because it involves regulations needing to be met. Not BP's problem! Resources are in place but the federal government has no action plan as they are trusting that BP is taking the reigns. Why should they? BP waits for monetary loss claims to be filed and denies them because they lack adequate documentation.

When a president takes office he runs the nation. Like it or not the old saying the buck stops here is what America believes. Obama has said it on TV. So why do I get the feeling he is so inexperienced at his official duties and obligations to the American public that setting an example to the nation is not within his capabilities? He is not proactive! More then 2 months have passed by with this disaster and have any of you seen his penalty phase? What threats of federal action are being thrown out to warn BP there are dire consequences to be addressed if they do not own this disaster?

I dont want to hear what can Obama do? He's had the nations top lawyers to consult. He's had the leading scientific communities from both private to governmental agencies to build a plan. He is silent. He is playing both sides of the fence. Dont condem, dont force action.

What a leader! This guys a joke in any language right now. Men of action are remembered by that very traight. Set the bar high so that others must meet it.

John

Rumdog
06-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Blame Americans including ourselves for being so oil reliant that we need to drill thousands of feet into the ocean and invade foreign countries for THIER natural resources. I mean They had WMD's, sorry. AMERICAN citizens and thier greed are to blame. Cleanup is virtually impossible. Blame who you want for that, but the spill is our own faults.

AndyKunz
06-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Yes, we evil Americans are to blame. Guess we need another Apology Tour.

You live in the evil Automobile Belt.- you're more at fault than many of us. Why not move a few hundred miles north and then you won't be such an evil person any more.

What is it with the left, blaming everything on Americans?!?! If Americans are so bad, why don't they @!)@*#)!*@#) move to Europe. We don't need a fifth column here. Go somewhere else and spread your drivel. Why not blame it on the Arabs for selling oil so cheap? Or on the British for dominating the Middle East for so long? Or on the Romans - they used a lot of oil and tar too. Or why not Noah for having the flood that buried all the vegetation that the oil is made from?

This "blame the Americans" crap just makes me sick.

Andy

Rumdog
06-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Get real. Also, I do live 3.5 hours north of The S-hole Detroit. I use way more oil than I should and I will take some of the blame. Being smug and acting as if Americans arent accountable is dilusional. What makes you think I'm on the "left?" Both parties are spineless, worthless and greedt. Politicians are a disease there seems to be no cure for. Trust me I'm no fan of the government by any means. American greed is what led us into the recession and causes unbelievable natural disasters like this. I take no pride in my nationality, nor should I. Take, take, take. After a while, people start to notice. So does mother earth.

mappo
06-10-2010, 02:09 AM

IMHO

Chief
Drill baby drill! BP submitted to MMS all that they will be doing in the event of such a disaster, such as protecting the "walruses" in the gulf of Mexico. Hilarious.. and protecting the beaches from spills. during the Cheney energy policy with big oil, a proposal was given to go ahead with a safety device called a Blow out prevent-er, but it was deemed too expensive at $250G's. any body seeing a picture here? Cheney was still being paid by Halliburton even when he became Vice.p when asked about the payments, he said it was from a bonus that he took in payments since leaving the company.the Government will never give up on oil. it is too profitable to do so.There are Alternatives to fossil fuels, but it is a bad habit to kick especially when the politicians are in it for the money.The Brazilians do not need Fossil fuels to run anything, the Germans run their subs on hydrogen extracted from sea water. we have the know how to do the same, but the explanation is that it will produce an economic collapse. BS. The guy who invented a car that ran on Hydrogen extracted from water was mysteriously killed after eating out at a restaurant, and you could not get any info. from the patent office even though he holds several of these patents. Hydrogen was the wonder fuel, but guess what? it will be a while before the oil co. say so. anyone can produce hydrogen with some simple tools but you will not see any great effort to sell cars that run on Hydro.

Simon.O.
06-10-2010, 06:16 AM
I usually do not meddle in the politics of the USA but this thread has some interesting views that are hard to ignore. It is quite enlightening to see some of you involved in a good debate without resorting to name calling and slander, that makes it a real clean and clear debate.

Here is a piece that I found in my local paper, it makes a lot of sense.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10650560&pnum=0

My thoughts
They should have made the decision to implode the well shaft by any and all means necessary within 1 week of the occurance. This includes nuclear intervention as has been proven by another nation.

* They includes BP, and the US Government.

befu
06-10-2010, 09:20 AM
You hear a lot about BP lately and what they will pay or should pay. But there is more to it.

First, enough people are involved that I doubt WE will ever really know what went on and who screwed up.

BP is the one who put the well in, so they are on the hook. Also, you have to look at what they did. Did they do anything wrong or take any shortcuts that allowed this to happen? Did they follow the accepted quidelines and rules or did they try to cheat?

The blow out preventer. A five story structure sitting 5000 feet under the water to shut off a two foot diameter pipe. Was it installed incorrectly by BP? Was it manufactured correctly? They still do not know why this safety device is not working. They tried to activate it from the bottom by the subs, still no go. If it had worked, this would have been a non issue. Was it BP's people on the leased drilling rig that caused it not to work or someone elses? If it was installed properly but failed due to design or manufacturing, would they be wholly responsible as opposed to BP?

Drilling rig owners. I love hearing this one, the drilling rig owners made a "profit" due to the insurance payment on the loss of thier rig. OK, when I total my car and the insurance company cuts me a check, it is not a profit. I lost a car. Still, we will never know what happened on that rig at the end, those people took that info with them to the bottom 5,000 feet down.

Government regulators. All kind of information coming out about coruption in our government agencies. Wow! Who saw that coming. It has been going on for years from both political parties, neither has the right to throw the first stone. Were the regulations enough if they had been enforced? Maybe they were wrong? Good luck finding out now with everyone covering thier trail.

Administration: Again, we will not know. What did BP want to try first as a solution? What did the government dictate that they try first or limit thier options? Not much is being said on this, but pressure is being applied from Washington. The lastest attempt is working the best so far, but was it really thier 5th option or was it pushed on them.
All I am saying, BP nor Washington are making the calls alone, both sides are trying to apply pressure and both probably have some hand in this crisis.

Americans: Are they to blame for wanting the oil? Sure, but it drives our economy and other nations want our money and products. Well, for the time at least, that will probably change soon also, but that is a different thread! But if we do not use BP's oil, someone else on the world market will, we will just buy more from someone else.

I find the arguments rather trivial, we are pawns in thier game. Lots of people are going to suffer terribly because of this accident, but I doubt we will ever really know the truth because so many people are involved and had a hand in creating this.

Still want to knwo why the the blow out preventer didn't work. And don't look to any politicians to solve this. If I had just eaten a entire box of Exlax, I would trust letting a fart before trusting our politicians.

Oh, I agree. Bp will be out of the country soon, or will split up in bankruptcy to get rid of its debt issue. Can't say that is unamerican, just look at what the automotive companies did last year! :thumbsdown:

Carry on!

Brian

domwilson
06-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Here's an idea. Stop the finger pointing and fix the leak....

mappo
06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Here's an idea. Stop the finger pointing and fix the leak....

Here is the good news. BP provides 2 Billion $ worth of oil to the US defense department for Jet Fueling along with bribes to US Congress!.