PDA

View Full Version : My New BABY!

v-spec
06-08-2010, 08:10 PM
I've finally got an Elam! I sold all my boats last year and the ones I didn't sell got stolen so I'm finally back in business! Well almost. Cause i stripped everything out already....

It just arrived last night and I hope to have it done up maybe by the end of the month. I'm anxious to get back on the water! It's not super busy in this part of the forum so I thought I'd share what I've got and what I'll be doing with everyone that's interested.

My digi cam got stolen when my boats did so you guys have gotta deal with my iPhone Pics!

lussorocuztoms
06-08-2010, 10:13 PM
thats such a beutiful boat!!! i want one so bad, here is my question whyd ya rip all the electronics? im assuming upgrading to a large faster motor esc combo? I am debating either this hull or a ul-1 but prefer a bit of larger hull, what are your thoughts on a miss vegas converted?
i have a few cc2200 motors lying around from my etruggy days as well as some tekin 2250 motors would one of these be able to run in the miss elam? or too heavy?

GnrlPatton
06-08-2010, 10:49 PM
I have to hand it to Proboat, they definitely upgraded the hull layout and made it easier to stuff things in. My gen 1 Miss Bud is TIGHT, I'm not sure where I'm going to put everything!

Good looking boat, I've got an Elam nitro as well and love the look of it.

v-spec
06-08-2010, 10:49 PM
I've had both a nitro and electric Vegas and UL-1 in the past. The UL-1 actually had a proboat motor and ESC in it at one time and hit 44+ mph that way on an x445 prop.

I'd have to say if you are just getting into it and want a Hydro get the UL-1. It's faster it tapes up very easy and it's fast as hell with some minor upgrades!

I got the Proboat this time because it looks so awesome! I love the look of this boat and after seeing the real one and then a very nicely done 1/8th scale Elam I made up my mind I would get one someday.

Only reason I tore out the electronics is because first it gives me something to do and 2nd I've run the proboat motor and esc in just about every hull I've had so I'm up for a change.

I just picked up an old Aveox 36/30/1.5 motor off swap shop today that's going to go in this. I'm not looking for more than 50 mph and I think I can get there with that motor and have some fun doing it!

Oh heres a pic of my UL-1 from last year, it had a proboat motor and esc in it. i bought it as a hull only off ebay it was awesome!

v-spec
06-08-2010, 10:50 PM
I have to hand it to Proboat, they definitely upgraded the hull layout and made it easier to stuff things in. My gen 1 Miss Bud is TIGHT, I'm not sure where I'm going to put everything!

Good looking boat, I've got an Elam nitro as well and love the look of it.

Yea they sure look great! I've been staring at mine all day!

v-spec
06-08-2010, 11:05 PM
thats such a beutiful boat!!! i want one so bad, here is my question whyd ya rip all the electronics? im assuming upgrading to a large faster motor esc combo? I am debating either this hull or a ul-1 but prefer a bit of larger hull, what are your thoughts on a miss vegas converted?
i have a few cc2200 motors lying around from my etruggy days as well as some tekin 2250 motors would one of these be able to run in the miss elam? or too heavy?

If it's the CC/NEU 2200 yea it would move this thing probably too fast! I thought about getting one but I want to keep this boat fairly simple and stable. Not sure on the Tekin and about the vegas i forgot to mention in the last post.

They run great with some sponson mods but it's just too much work. Maybe the Vegas Deuce might be better but you still have to seal it all up and make it watertight.

I've done 2 Vegas Electric on 8xl and 1 Nitro they just are not my thing I don't like the looks compared with a sleek trim looking UL-1 or a nice Elam.

lussorocuztoms
06-09-2010, 01:38 AM
thanks for your info, i really like the looks and style of the proboat for sure, the ul-1 is fast for sure but the style isnt there, anyhow i wish they made this boat just a hair larger in the 32 in range.
besides the looks of the vegas how did it handle ?

v-spec
06-09-2010, 01:46 AM
The Vegas Handled great, maybe better than any of these boats actually. You might be able to get one of those 32 inch G Freak hulls that looks like the Elam. Some other guy on the forums here bought a hull only from them. They looks pretty nice and they are a little bigger!

lussorocuztoms
06-09-2010, 02:04 AM
ya i looked at them on ebay but i cant see paying 359 bucks for a bare hull and a plastic prop! i wrote to them and that was 3 weeks ago and still havent heard a thing from them, in my opinion their company is a joke.
I can get a new elam nitro or bl version, vegas or bud nitro for 280 new from my local hobby shop before my discount, either way if i go nitro i can convert or get the bl version and upgrade from there.
was the conversion hard? ive done many nitro to bl conversion on 1/8th scale buggies and truggies revos ect but like i said never had a boat now i got the FEVER!!!

v-spec
06-09-2010, 03:26 AM
None of it is hard it does take a little time and research to do a good job though. Theirs lots of good guys on this forum to help out too if needed. I love rc boating I've met lots of nice people in this hobby when compared with rc cars etc.

blackcat26
06-10-2010, 05:21 PM
As having a little experience with a few of the nitro hulls here are a few words of thought. All of this info was from the members on here who have helped me out. Thank you!

1) The brushless factory "lam" has more room inside but the battery tray will only allow for a 2s battery on each side from what I have read....(so 3s is out) Important for motor selection.

2) The factory strut bracket is too deep in the water. After I read darrin's build on here I ditched the factory setup since it does not allow for adjustment at all. Which involved totally re-doing the stuffing tube.

3) Reinforce the floor with carbon or glass to stiffen the bottom of the hull, minimizing speed robbing flex.

4) Some good 2 part polyurethane foam in the front sponsons helps the balance and stiffens the front of the boat and also provides built in floatation. The use of extra weight to get the COG correct may also be needed.

5) COG (Center of gravity). Set it for around 1-1.5 inches from the back of the sponsons.

6) Set your servo where it pulls the rudder for right-hand turns not pushes. This eliminates any bending it wants to do.

These boats can be alot of fun and very blowover resistant if set up properly. Hope these tips help out.

v-spec
06-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks man. I'll keep that stuff in mind.

v-spec
06-20-2010, 01:53 AM
I'm still working on the Elam. I might do a build thread on it but here it is as of 6/19/10 I'm just deciding on the driveline right now and then I'll get some more done quick.

blackcat26
06-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Can you take another pic of it with the hatch on? I want to see one w/o it's wings.

v-spec
06-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Can you take another pic of it with the hatch on? I want to see one w/o it's wings.

Well the hatch is on in this picture lol, I modified it! Sorry!

blackcat26
06-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Hmm, I see. Well how about some more pics then? It looks cool.

v-spec
06-20-2010, 02:47 PM
I'll get some more pictures soon, I'm doing some fiberglass work on the cowl right now.