PDA

View Full Version : soldering iron

tanda
06-06-2010, 10:17 PM
i have heard several different opinions on soldering battery ends on and the correct type and wattage of soldering iron to use, just wondering what everyone else uses :confused2: my hobby shop wants to sell me an iron for $79.00 . thought home depot would be cheaper or is there a certain heat that needs to be achieved? i really dont want a faulty solder connection messing up my lipo"s or stranding my boat in the middle of the lake lets hear it!!!:confused2::confused2:

JMSCARD
06-06-2010, 11:09 PM
i have heard several different opinions on soldering battery ends on and the correct type and wattage of soldering iron to use, just wondering what everyone else uses :confused2: my hobby shop wants to sell me an iron for $79.00 . thought home depot would be cheaper or is there a certain heat that needs to be achieved? i really dont want a faulty solder connection messing up my lipo"s or stranding my boat in the middle of the lake lets hear it!!!:confused2::confused2:

I have a hakko 936... a good soldering iron will make anyone look like a decent solderer.... I used to hate soldering a few years back... with a good iron you will actually look forward to it....

the lower watt soldering irons just take to long to heat up what your looking to solder... alot of times you end up holding the iron on your project so long it heats up things... i.e. your esc/motor etc that you really don't want to heat up....

Definately buy the best soldering iron you can afford.... checkpoint makes a good one for $79 ... might even be the one you LHS is trying to sell you... go with it!

skellyo
06-06-2010, 11:22 PM
I too have a Hakko 936 and it's awesome!

Definately buy the best soldering iron you can afford.... checkpoint makes a good one for $79 ... might even be the one you LHS is trying to sell you... go with it!

FWIW, the Checkpoint is a rebranded Hakko 936.

trepanned23
06-06-2010, 11:25 PM
I have found that I need a good 40 watt iron - makes things like motor leads far easier to solder. Just as important for me is a reliable and adaptable holding system. I have built an articulated robot like arm with a big alligator clip to position and secure the items I am soldering. I have a switchable 15w and 40w iron from radio shack which was 22.95 - not the best option but works for me

JMSCARD
06-06-2010, 11:26 PM
I too have a Hakko 936 and it's awesome!

FWIW, the Checkpoint is a rebranded Hakko 936.

I don't think they are totally the same tho... they take different tips... I ordered a checkpoint tip thinking it would fit my 936... no go... had to get a 936 tip.... it had a very slightly larger diameter where it goes into the iron itself... so I do think they change a few things...:)

JMSCARD
06-06-2010, 11:36 PM
yeah radioshack is where I got my "holding" system... basically a third arm stand.... works great... has a heavy base with alligator clips on it to hold the items I'm soldering.... yes sir.... I also use a wet sponge by my side to cool whatever I am soldering if its heating up something I don't want it too...lol.

skellyo
06-06-2010, 11:39 PM
I don't think they are totally the same tho... they take different tips... I ordered a checkpoint tip thinking it would fit my 936... no go... had to get a 936 tip.... it had a very slightly larger diameter where it goes into the iron itself... so I do think they change a few things...:)

Hakko does make 3 different irons in the 936 model. They have a small, medium-normal and large. You probably just have a different size iron than what comes with the Checkpoint. I've read on other forums that the heating element in the Checkpoint has Hakko stamped on it.

BHChieftain
06-07-2010, 09:40 AM
My ESC and Lipos have 10g wires-- while it is possible to solder connectors with a 40W iron it does take a really long time and the heat will move down the wire and heat up the components... I switched to a 140W gun and am much happier for it!

Chief

Eodman
06-08-2010, 09:10 AM
In addition to wattage - what a lot of 1st timer forget to do is clean the tip up periodically!

When first learning to solder you have a tendency to try before its hot enough and you end up with a dirty tip.

Next time you solder let the tip get very hot and take a file and file the debris of the tip both sides as well as the edge! It will transmit heat better!

Eodman
06-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the tip JMS - never thought about a wet sponge!

tanda
06-08-2010, 06:52 PM
thanx for the info sounds like i should stick hith the checkpoint or the hakko