PDA

View Full Version : Insane Boats P-Spec Sport Hydro 1st run with Vid !!!

Pages : [1] 2

properchopper
06-06-2010, 09:58 PM
First let me say what an honor it was for me to be selected by Jeff Michaud, owner of Insane Boats to be the rigger/tester/owner of the first P-Spec rigged boat. And man, it's beautifull - absolutely the finest piece of craftmanship I've ever seen in a FE boat - both the hull and hardware. Out on the course she just ripped, and I backed off in the turns, as was my habit with other boats. Jeff said :
" Just hold her wide open" and I did just that and she took the turns WFO like she was on rails. [I'd forgotten that when I run with Jeff's gassers they just rip up the turns wide open, and this boat was designed by Jeff to do just that !}

Setup : Ul-1 motor [ a workhorse I made from 2 kaboshed UL-1 motors]
( a fresh one should add more mph I suspect )
UL-1 speed control, servo, and Tx/Rx
.150 flex
Hyperion 2S 5000's in series[ Loaned by UBHauled-thanks Bro] (incorrectly identified in the vid as 2S2P
ABC H-5 trimmed to 44.79 mm plus some Sholund magic

GPS : 53.6 MPH :beerchug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Qw7lQnxdQ

Jeff's got to crunch some numbers and then the pricing will be released. Start parting out your UL-1's now !! Or get your big motor/SC ready, either way. And do visit the Insane Boat website to see where the inspiration for this boat came from :biggrin:

Tony/ Just blown away :rockon2:

Doug Smock
06-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Very Nice Sir!!!

Doug

eboat
06-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Looks good

is it hard to tape up the hatch ?
I always have trouble trying to get the tape to seal at the bottom before it goes up over the canopy in this style of hatch

Rumdog
06-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Very Very nice!

properchopper
06-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Looks good

is it hard to tape up the hatch ?
I always have trouble trying to get the tape to seal at the bottom before it goes up over the canopy in this style of hatch

Taping was a piece of cake - the seams mated really well.

BakedMopar
06-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Awesome!

Brushless55
06-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Looks great Tony!
that hull flippin scoots :w00t:

teach
06-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Yup....something looks wrong. Better send it to me to figure it out.

I want one! :sold:

Ub Hauled
06-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Tony... loading vid right now, sorry I could not make it, I cant remember if I told you but it wsa my oldest b-day party (5), I think if I had left the wife and daughters today I'd be in trouble, just a wild guess, lol
will comment in a few...

ok...
that was very nice T... do you have the boat with you? I am bringing my DH out to race you, since now it seems that there is some competition... LOL,
oh yeah baby, I went there!

LOL
let's meet.

Brushless55
06-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Looks like I'm going to wait up! :thumbup:

cybercrxt
06-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Its funny Tony, It looks like you used that prop I recommended to you. You pulled the exact same speed as my Woodstuff 28" does with the UL-1 setup and prop! Pretty consistent! Mike

ED66677
06-07-2010, 10:16 AM
that's nice!

questtek
06-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Tony, Brad recommended another run day on my lake. He suggested Sat June 19th. Does this day work for everybody? We may have a couple of these hydros to run and I can set up some buoys on the lake for an oval course. Good to race it against Hull #1 with the Leopard 2200KV that MarkF has. Guess I can now finally post this picture of him and the Insane Hydro.

FE Wannabe
06-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Tony,

Looking good my friend, I would like to see this hull in person. Did you get a chance to run it in any race water yet? I could bring my BBY UL-1 to Joe's house/lake and run it with you, but I don't think you want to start impact testing that boat yet!:just-kidding:

It looks like it could handle some race chop pretty well. Did you run it with just the single 4S pack in the bow? If so was there a big handling difference?
Hope to see you soon.....

Brad

properchopper
06-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Its funny Tony, It looks like you used that prop I recommended to you. You pulled the exact same speed as my Woodstuff 28" does with the UL-1 setup and prop! Pretty consistent! Mike

Yup, that's the exact prop that you suggested to me :thumbup1: On my VS-1 it really ripped- I didn't even try to corner at full tilt :w00t: Then tried it on the LSO rigged T29 with a BJ motor & after a slight cav, it fully aired out ! Good Stuff, thanks !

properchopper
06-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Tony,

Looking good my friend, I would like to see this hull in person. Did you get a chance to run it in any race water yet? I could bring my BBY UL-1 to Joe's house/lake and run it with you, but I don't think you want to start impact testing that boat yet!:just-kidding:

It looks like it could handle some race chop pretty well. Did you run it with just the single 4S pack in the bow? If so was there a big handling difference?
Hope to see you soon.....

Brad

Haven't run in racewater yet but looking forward to it :thumbup: This hull is so solid [& the turn fin is so sharp] that we wouldn't want to re-enact our last "meeting" on the course :w00t: - (you might just end up with two "half-boats "again :sorry:)
Haven't tried the 4S single battery config yet but I need to return the 2S packs to Jan & I'll try it then.

properchopper
06-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Tony, Brad recommended another run day on my lake. He suggested Sat June 19th. Does this day work for everybody? We may have a couple of these hydros to run and I can set up some buoys on the lake for an oval course. Good to race it against Hull #1 with the Leopard 2200KV that MarkF has. Guess I can now finally post this picture of him and the Insane Hydro.

Yeah Buddy ! Sounds good. Have just made a new friend -John, a former nitro racer, who'se in for FE. It looks like, in good part due to your gracious hospitality, that SoCal is really ( and finally) starting to wake up and dance to the music ! ( I've been trying for years to get things going in L.A. but it looks like your designer pizzas did the trick) :banana:

Shooter
06-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Geeez!!! That thing looks GREAT and I can't believe the speeds. I don't think anyone has gotten speeds like that out of the UL-1 electronics with a hydro....or is that thing considered a rigger?

The hardware looks real clean and simple too. Who makes it? Thanks!

properchopper
06-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Geeez!!! That thing looks GREAT and I can't believe the speeds. I don't think anyone has gotten speeds like that out of the UL-1 electronics with a hydro....or is that thing considered a rigger?

The hardware looks real clean and simple too. Who makes it? Thanks!

With a fresh UL-1 motor I think a few more mph is possible. I was using an old motor made up from two kaboodled motors for the testing. Temps were "on the mark" during testing so I'll likely put in a new motor soon. With the stock UL-1 components it went quite well, and for Spec racing this is the way to go - one of the design considerations during the planning stage.

NO it's not a rigger - let's don't go there anymore. Fully NAMBA compliant for P-Sport Hydro. End of story !

The hardware was designed by Insane Boats with a fresh slate specifically for this hull. Ultra-solid, dual pickup/single outlet rudder, ambidexterous servo arm, and three lead-teflon bushings in the strut - easily replaceable.

ray schrauwen
06-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Saweet, maybe I'll wait on an open mono and slate this for spec racing.

Nice prop info too guys, thanks.

Any idea of empty hull weight?

.... and thats how a proper video is done to capture speed !

Fluid
06-07-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't think anyone has gotten speeds like that out of the UL-1 electronics with a hydro....

Actually it isn't uncommon to reach 50-52 mph with the UL-1 motor/ESC combo in a good sport hydro, our club does it any time we have reasonably flat race water. But not in a hull this large, that is most impressive. With larger boats we can now run in rougher water and remain upright. I've raced Whiplash LSH hydros with my own smaller LSH and the bigger boat virtually always won in 'rough' water. The Insane boat does look impressive.

I don't care what it weighs, I usually have to add lead to my LSH/LSO boats to keep them on the water anyway. Jeff knows how to build a boat guys.....

ray schrauwen
06-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Question is, do i build a 2nd Whip 20 for LSH or get one of these?

Now that I have built one, I can build another quickly.

But, if this hull is priced as reasonable as some other hulls, I'm in.

properchopper
06-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Jay is right on. My recent experience at WW VI in AZ last Feb. had the LSH class filled with rather quick 26" Dark Horse shovels. Then there was Dan Proulx with a super-fine CF Bandit Larsony at @ 30" and Doug Peterson's impeccably built Whiplash. The Dark Horses got out front in the first laps but one by one they had to slow & bobble through the racewater-ruffled turns. Many couldn't stay on their bottoms. Then the crafty duo of Proulx and Peterson just devoured what was left, cornering in racewater at WFO. We're hoping the Insane hydro will live up to this legacy & it looks good so far .

Actually it isn't uncommon to reach 50-52 mph with the UL-1 motor/ESC combo in a good sport hydro, our club does it any time we have reasonably flat race water. But not in a hull this large, that is most impressive. With larger boats we can now run in rougher water and remain upright. I've raced Whiplash LSH hydros with my own smaller LSH and the bigger boat virtually always won in 'rough' water. The Insane boat does look impressive.

I don't care what it weighs, I usually have to add lead to my LSH/LSO boats to keep them on the water anyway. Jeff knows how to build a boat guys.....

ray schrauwen
06-07-2010, 03:29 PM
I hear that.

We race in some very rough water at Clariville pond in Canada. I even gave up on the UL-1 in our "offshore" tyoe water.

Now my Whiplash 20 & BJ motor just eat up the waves.

This Insane boat is an excellent candidate for spec class....

Eric Bourlet
06-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Looked like 15 second laps thats not bad for a Spec Powered Sport Boat. Be nice to see video of it in a heat race and get some lap times for it.

Brushless55
06-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Is this going to be up on their site soon?

properchopper
06-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Is this going to be up on their site soon?

All will be revealed soon. Their might also be a surprise in store [pun intended] :spy:

properchopper
06-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Looked like 15 second laps thats not bad for a Spec Powered Sport Boat. Be nice to see video of it in a heat race and get some lap times for it.

There's a NAMBA 2-Lap coming up this summer at Legg Lake. Even though there is no NAMBA Spec class as of yet that I know of, [correct me if I'm wrong] I've been talking to Mark about running it in spec trim to see what it'll do. (I'll be embarrased if it beats my current record in P Sport Hydro :o ) I also plan to rig it for P Sport with a motor & SC swap to see how it does & I'm relatively confident of a new record in that class:olleyes:

Flying Scotsman
06-07-2010, 05:50 PM
SOLD

Thanks Tony and all for the update

Douggie

properchopper
06-07-2010, 06:02 PM
SOLD

Thanks Tony and all for the update

Douggie

My pleasure ! :usa::hug1::canada:

Brushless55
06-07-2010, 07:24 PM
All will be revealed soon. Their might also be a surprise in store [pun intended] :spy:

Sweet thank you! :beerchug:

T.S.Davis
06-07-2010, 08:48 PM
still no dimensions.

shhhh It's top secret. I guess those interested in that will have to protest it at the nats to find out. Some guy in the interent said it was legal. That was enough for me.:sarcasm1:

I know, I obviously missed that somewhere.

Anybody know where I can get a Bandit batboat? I want one for offshore.

Jeepers
06-07-2010, 08:58 PM
still no dimensions.

shhhh It's top secret. I guess those interested in that will have to protest it at the nats to find out. Some guy in the interent said it was legal. That was enough for me.:sarcasm1:

I know, I obviously missed that somewhere.

Anybody know where I can get a Bandit batboat? I want one for offshore.
Terry the dimensions were posted on RRR under the other Insane thread.

MarkF
06-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Terry,
The dimensions weren't posted when everyone wanted them to be because the boat hadn't been tested or run yet. I told everyone in the beginning that all would be revealed when we were done testing and happy with the boat. We showed the videos from the first runs and now we will start to tweak on the boat to make it even better. The boat is everything we wanted it to be and I dont think you will find a better race hull on the market at this time. The true potential of this hull is yet to be found. I for one look forward to running this boat at the 2 lap and SAWS comming up. So having said that here are the dimensions of the hull.
L 30"
W 15"
Afterplane 18"
W between sponsons 9"
sponson depth 3/4"

Mark

Shooter
06-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the close-ups of the hardware. Solid and simple. Great stuff.

Just got a chance to watch the video. That thing is absolutely screamin'. Our water up in northern MI tends to be a tad rougher. Just wondering if she can hold her own in some chop. The fastest I registered on my Pickle was 48mph and I tweaked her 'til the cows came home. Needless to say, I am very impressed!! I had no idea 50-52 was par for the course! :blush: How embarrassing!

No doubt that bigger is better when it comes to choppy water. Would love to know the length and width of that thing. Looks long! Also, it appears that there is a TON of venting behind the sponsons. No trapped air causing the infamous side to side "dance".

Shooter
06-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Ahhh...... there's the dimensions! WOW! That baby is LONG and the 9" between sponsons! Yipiteeeez!!! I want one of these!

MarkF
06-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Here's a little more video from Joe's house. Were still tweeking the boat and it just keeps getting better. In the first one we moved the cg back 3" behind the sponson and it still stays on the water. On the next run we lowered the strut and it ran more stable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCWLbtenx5k

The next one is Tonys P spec looking great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiA6eRBJnTY

Mark

Jeff Wohlt
06-27-2010, 09:34 AM
It was great seeing a couple of you on the Skype yesterday! Even though you could not see me it was a thrill for you all to show me the goods. Glad to know the wire drives are holding up for you, Tony.

That baby is named correctly INSANE! Love it!!

The speeds from the UL set up are very impressive...the leopard set up...well that is just awesome!!

questtek
06-27-2010, 10:46 AM
It was great seeing a couple of you on the Skype yesterday! Even though you could not see me it was a thrill for you all to show me the goods. Glad to know the wire drives are holding up for you, Tony.

That baby is named correctly INSANE! Love it!!

The speeds from the UL set up are very impressive...the leopard set up...well that is just awesome!!

Thanks for being our live, interactive Skype video "test vehicle". We all enjoyed showing you the boats we were running with your drives and hardware. Since I have a very high bandwith interconnection at my house it may even be possible to do live video streaming when guys like MarkF, Jeff, Tony and Brad run so our friends around the globe can see and interact live with them. I have used this technology for years teaching college level distance education courses in Oceanography for students around the globe. I did live, interactive underwater lectures at depths of up to 80 feet from islands in the Pacific to global student audiences via some unique satellite technology provided by KHET Hawaii. Glad there is a potential application to sharing the views of our local experts with FE enthusists around the world.

You were correct on the Leopard, Mark and Jeff both ran the boat at a consistant 65 MPH with a 4074, 2200KV Leopard that costs about the same as the UL-1 motor. GPS speeds were monitored by Tony's Garmin GPS unit. No water cooling on the Leopard motor at all , running 6 laps full out (as Jeff recommends with the Insane) with temps in the 140F range based on Tony's IR measurements.

Wish more guys could join us, it was great to get everyone together. Jon and Josh, we missed you!

bustitup
06-27-2010, 11:00 AM
I think if I had a boat docked on THAT lake I would raise my boat at least 6" out of the water:zip-up:

Here's a little more video from Joe's house. Were still tweeking the boat and it just keeps getting better. In the first one we moved the cg back 3" behind the sponson and it still stays on the water. On the next run we lowered the strut and it ran more stable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCWLbtenx5k

The next one is Tonys P spec looking great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiA6eRBJnTY

Mark

properchopper
06-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Yahoo ! It was another "Great Day at Questtek's" ! Great company, bbq'd burgers lakeside, good water, all in Joe's high-tech fantasyland. It was really great to hear guest Jeff Michaud, proprietor of Insane boats expound on hull design and all things in the go-fast world of FE ( Jeff started out in FE not too many years ago) and based on the conversation(s) I predict more FE goodies to come in the not-too-distant future.
I was amazed at how Jeff drove the Leopard powered boat down the straightaway at 60+, pitch it into the turn, dirt track style, and carve the turn WOT.
Yowzah ! Brad's BBY hydro was a rocket & went so fast it folded the rudder 90 degrees in one turn :ohmy: Did some live-feed wizardry & talked to Mr. Wohlt on some Skype thingy in real time. Good stuff all around, & Jan & Josh we missed 'ya.:cool:

Thanks again, Joe !

Tony
My Amp Goes To Eleven

BTW my disc drive crashed so I need to get it fixed before loading some of the other vids

properchopper
06-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I think if I had a boat docked on THAT lake I would raise my boat at least 6" out of the water:zip-up:

Stay tuned for an on-board vidcam clip of Joe's P-Mono lose the radio and.......:flashfire:

BakedMopar
06-27-2010, 01:56 PM
That P-Spec boat hauls and is super stable. Good job guys!

questtek
06-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Yahoo ! It was another "Great Day at Questtek's" ! Great company, bbq'd burgers lakeside, good water, all in Joe's high-tech fantasyland. It was really great to hear guest Jeff Michaud, proprietor of Insane boats expound on hull design and all things in the go-fast world of FE ( Jeff started out in FE not too many years ago) and based on the conversation(s) I predict more FE goodies to come in the not-too-distant future.
I was amazed at how Jeff drove the Leopard powered boat down the straightaway at 60+, pitch it into the turn, dirt track style, and carve the turn WOT.
Yowzah ! Brad's BBY hydro was a rocket & went so fast it folded the rudder 90 degrees in one turn :ohmy: Did some live-feed wizardry & talked to Mr. Wohlt on some Skype thingy in real time. Good stuff all around, & Jan & Josh we missed 'ya.:cool:

Thanks again, Joe !

Tony
My Amp Goes To Eleven

BTW my disc drive crashed so I need to get it fixed before loading some of the other vids

Since we all know just how shy and reserved Tony is in front of the camera, I have taken the liberty of posting a video of him on the first run of the day with his Insane Hydro with the UL-1 brushless motor. Diane Sawyer, please move over!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_bfd4HfwXk

properchopper
06-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Since we all know just how shy and reserved Tony is in front of the camera, I have taken the liberty of posting a video of him on the first run of the day with his Insane Hydro with the UL-1 brushless motor. Diane Sawyer, please move over!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230490355404&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Err, I think the link got cornfused [ unless that's what I actually look like :eek:]

OK, better now !

questtek
06-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Stay tuned for an on-board vidcam clip of Joe's P-Mono lose the radio and.......:flashfire:

Per your request……blood, teeth and eyeballs all over the concrete wall at the lakes edge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCNrXbz5OL4&feature=youtube_gdata

questtek
06-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Err, I think the link got cornfused [ unless that's what I actually look like :eek:]

Link corrected and repeated below...I got you confused with the guy who's amp goes to 12!

ray schrauwen
06-27-2010, 05:02 PM
BEC huh?

questtek
06-27-2010, 05:06 PM
BEC huh?

Don't hink so since the boat had a separate 4 cell NiCad pac for the REC. I believe the problem is that the receiver was wet from a previous run and control was lost when the boat was far away from the receiver.(? guess) Ironically this is the exact same spot Josh crashed a brand new FE a couple of months ago due to a transmitter glitch (his best guess), but that was total distruction rather that just a slight bit of nose modification.

bustitup
06-27-2010, 05:21 PM

I swear I could see about three home owners standing on the back shoreline all waving white flags

properchopper
06-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Per your request……blood, teeth and eyeballs all over the concrete wall at the lakes edge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCNrXbz5OL4&feature=youtube_gdata

Joe, if it's any consolation, you've now officially completed the entrance requirements for :
("Juego Para Reparacion De Barco" t-shirt will be awarded next time )

properchopper
06-27-2010, 05:40 PM
I swear I could see about three home owners standing on the back shoreline all waving white flags

You should of seen the looks on the faces of the swans that populate the normally tranquill lake :eek:

Darin Jordan
06-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Greg Schweers had one of these new insane Sport Hydros today at our club race... I have to say... it's really, REALLY fast! Stable, looks very drivable... hardware is very nice, and it's finished well... UGLY as SIN, but looks don't always win races. Looks like front running design to me.

Greg Schweers
06-27-2010, 10:25 PM
This has been by far the easiest boat I've ever set up! I've only touched the strut once since I set it up. I was very happy with the way it handled with other boats on the course. I'm running .092 wire drive, and that works out really good because I had the motor 12" from the back. Mine weighs 6.5 lbs. ready to go - and that's a spec setup. To me, this boat is a "no brainer," and this boat looks good.

Darin Jordan
06-27-2010, 10:32 PM
.... and this boat looks good.

You had me right to that point... It's FUGLY!! :bounce:

FAST-but-UGLY!!

But I still think I want one... :iagree:

ray schrauwen
06-27-2010, 10:34 PM
What size props are you guys turning on UL-1 motor & leopard?

...I know Darin get an H-5 right.... :)

FE Wannabe
06-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Quote from ProperChopper:

"Yowzah ! Brad's BBY hydro was a rocket & went so fast it folded the rudder 90 degrees in one turn....."

Tony,
Since you mentioned it I thought I would post a picture of my rudder modification. However to make a correction, the "mod" was due to a high altitude blow over. This mod really reduces the drag caused by the rudder, although it is probably only recommended for SAW runs only. LOL

Flying Scotsman
06-28-2010, 02:31 AM
Now if I can only get mine...

I am also waiting for Jeff to ship my new baby. I am sooooo excited that I may be nice and pleasant to Aussies and all other members for a week or so..... excluding Doby :Shame_on_You: :smile:

Douggie

Ub Hauled
06-28-2010, 03:15 AM

Thanks again, Joe !

Tony
My Amp Goes To Eleven

I wanted to be there man... there will be other times... how bout this week? Let me know what days work for ya at Legg....
=)

D. Newland
06-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Great vid's, guys! I especially liked the on-board P mono (sorry about the destruction, though). It reminded me of the Jackass 1 movie when the secret clipper kept shaving unsuspecting victim's hair.

LuckyDuc
06-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Fast isn't always pretty.:laugh:

properchopper
06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
You had me right to that point... It's FUGLY!! :bounce:

FAST-but-UGLY!!

But I still think I want one... :iagree:

Take a good look : This is the view [minus the roostertail] likely to be seen by most racers :beerchug:

Darin Jordan
06-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Take a good look : This is the view [minus the roostertail] likely to be seen by most racers :beerchug:

I've seen that already, sitting on Greg's worktable... I even have my own video of it running on the course. My conclusion hasn't changed... Still UGLY... :bounce:

Function over fashion works well too... :banana:

Flying Scotsman
06-28-2010, 07:54 PM
I love fast, well designed and built boats :smile:

Douggie

Brushless55
06-28-2010, 10:28 PM
ok, I'm not sure where I read this, but how much is the hull and hardware?

LuckyDuc
06-28-2010, 11:11 PM
ok, I'm not sure where I read this, but how much is the hull and hardware?

White Hull/Cowl : $ 235 color top and/or bottom add $ 10

Hardware - includes Turn fin and Bracket, Strut w. 3 teflon bushings, rudder with dual pickup/single outlet : $ 95

Brushless55
06-28-2010, 11:57 PM
White Hull/Cowl : $ 235 color top and/or bottom add $ 10

Hardware - includes Turn fin and Bracket, Strut w. 3 teflon bushings, rudder with dual pickup/single outlet : $ 95

Thank you! :beerchug:
I'm thinking of this or a Whip20 :confused2:

properchopper
06-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Have you had a chance to compare handling with the 4S versus 2x2S? I'm trying to decide on which battery config. to use...

Actually, Mark F runs his setup with a single 4S battery with great results. I'll be switching my setup to a single 4S as soon as I return the 2S batteries to Jan, who loaned them to me for testing. The reason I did the initial tests with 2S batteries was to show how easy it is to convert a UL-1 boat to the Insane boat - since most folks use 2S batteries in their UL-1's.

ray schrauwen
06-29-2010, 01:53 PM
How many Mah do you use with the Leopard motor? 4s1p or 2p?

properchopper
06-29-2010, 01:57 PM
How many Mah do you use with the Leopard motor? 4s1p or 2p?

Mark runs a single 4S batt, IIRC it is 5000 mah. He can verify.

MarkF
06-29-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm using thunderpower 3850 1p 30c packs in all the videos. I would recomend using 5000 mah though if you got them.

Mark

Flying Scotsman
06-30-2010, 12:55 AM
Actually, Mark F runs his setup with a single 4S battery with great results. I'll be switching my setup to a single 4S as soon as I return the 2S batteries to Jan, who loaned them to me for testing. The reason I did the initial tests with 2S batteries was to show how easy it is to convert a UL-1 boat to the Insane boat - since most folks use 2S batteries in their UL-1's.

An interesting point, but I think a hydro and a cat run better with 2 batteries in series, positioned close to either sponson as far as balance is concerned, just my 2 cents, but as usual my thoughts can be easily proven wrong :Praying: :smile:

Douggie

Greg Schweers
06-30-2010, 02:31 AM
When I raced last Sunday, I ran ThunderPower 4S 5000/45C. This is the first time this boat has been raced. I don't brag about very many boats, but this boat ran and handled very good. I was running a 447 backcut, detunge, tips rounded, 6 laps on a course where the straights were only 250'. The motor temp was around 108, and I was putting 2200 back into the batteries. In the next few weeks I'm going to switch the boat over to a 3S setup for P-Sport; this boat should be running 75+ easily.

Brushless55
06-30-2010, 12:22 PM
When I raced last Sunday, I ran ThunderPower 4S 5000/45C. This is the first time this boat has been raced. I don't brag about very many boats, but this boat ran and handled very good. I was running a 447 backcut, detunge, tips rounded, 6 laps on a course where the straights were only 250'. The motor temp was around 108, and I was putting 2200 back into the batteries. In the next few weeks I'm going to switch the boat over to a 3S setup for P-Sport; this boat should be running 75+ easily.

What motor are you running on 4s?
sounds awesome only using 2200mah :thumbup1:

Darin Jordan
06-30-2010, 01:05 PM
What motor are you running on 4s?
sounds awesome only using 2200mah :thumbup1:

It was a UL-1 Motor... P-Limited setup...

Flying Scotsman
06-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Exactly!

What do some other seasoned boaters think in this regard as I was thinking of setting up my Insane as I described, as I am a hydro newbie.

Douggie

properchopper
06-30-2010, 07:49 PM
What do some other seasoned boaters think in this regard as I was thinking of setting up my Insane as I described, as I am a hydro newbie.

Douggie

Douggie, if Mark's boat handled just fine in the sixties with a single 4S, the P-Spec setup should have no problems with the same. This boat is STABLE !! I should know how mine does tomorrow when I return the 2S packs to Jan & run the spec setup on 4S. :thumbup1:

Flying Scotsman
06-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Tony and all, my question is what is better for a hydro not a tunnel hull setup 1 battery in the centre or 2 batteries positioned towards the sponsons?? again a newbie hydro question.

Douggie

properchopper
06-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Tony and all, my question is what is better for a hydro not a tunnel hull setup 1 battery in the centre or 2 batteries positioned towards the sponsons?? again a newbie hydro question.

Douggie

Douggie, Mark ran his INSANE HYDRO with one battery in the center with no issues. I will do the same. Either way, this boat is so stable that it shouldn't matter. Also, think about this : too much weight in the sponsons prevents some outside sponson lift in turns which could be beneficial.

teach
06-30-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm just a rookie but lowering your roll center is always a good thing in my humble opinion.

Fluid
06-30-2010, 10:16 PM
You probably know that moving the battery has nothing to do with changing the roll center - that requires geometry changes. But keeping the CG lower may be helpful on some boats, however on others it either doesn't matter or it can be counter-productive. I discovered this on cat hulls - most I worked with didn't care where the cells went, a few handled markedly better when the cells were on top of the tunnel. Lap times told the story. We are not talking about large changes in the vertical CG here.

Knowing what works for a particular hull requires experimentation, not some rule of thumb or "common sense". That requires a little work - which is part of the fun of the hobby.

Flying Scotsman
06-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks Jay, and I will experiment in different water conditions etc.

Douggie

Shooter
07-01-2010, 10:49 AM
I've struggled with battery placement myself. One thing I can say is that batteries spread out result in sluggish roll response. This can be good, but can also be bad. When I tried spreading the batteries, it was more difficult to start the roll (lift the sponsons) in the first place, but it was also very difficult to recover (slow to respond) from a sponson lift. Think of a long stick with weights on each end that is rotating. It's more difficult to switch rotation direction the further the weights are out. Put them at the center, and there is not much difference with or without the weights. I think this is the reason that tight rope walkers use a very long stick (slow to respond).

Batteries in the center: fast sponson dance (quick roll response)
Batteries spread out: slow sponson dance (slow roll response)

Which one is better? I don't know. It seems to be a "balance act". ha ha.

Darin Jordan
07-01-2010, 04:41 PM
My $0.02 on batteries... I prefer to keep the weight as low, and as close to the centerline of the hull as possible. In MY OPINION, the further out from center you put the weight, the harder it is for the controll surfaces to control it. Control surfaces would include the planing portions of the hull itself.

Darin Jordan
07-01-2010, 04:48 PM
... By the way... Tony... I just got off the phone with Jeff... After appologizing several times for calling his boat bad names (these threads don't relay the light-heartedness I was trying to portray...) ... he agreed to sell me one! I'm in the queue for hull and hardware! Thanks for the contact info! Need to give Greg someone to race with up here.

johnf
07-01-2010, 05:10 PM
.I just got off the phone with Jeff... After appologizing several times for calling his boat bad names (these threads don't relay the light-heartedness I was trying to portray...) ... he agreed to sell me one! .

hah! Funny stuff. "so YOU'RE the guy that was bad mouthing my boats appearance!?"

Darin Jordan
07-01-2010, 05:17 PM
hah! Funny stuff. "so YOU'RE the guy that was bad mouthing my boats appearance!?"

I know... I was actually just joking around... I guess I forgot to mention that I LIKE UGLY... I use the term affectionately. Started using it when I designed and built my own FE Sport Hydro... It was "ugly" too... and I still have it and love it!

Sorry... :Peace_Sign: :smile:

johnf
07-01-2010, 05:25 PM
haha, pretty cool. Well, at the speeds that insane hydro was running in the vids, I don't think anyone could tell what it looks like. LOL

Flying Scotsman
07-01-2010, 05:34 PM
... By the way... Tony... I just got off the phone with Jeff... After appologizing several times for calling his boat bad names (these threads don't relay the light-heartedness I was trying to portray...) ... he agreed to sell me one! I'm in the queue for hull and hardware! Thanks for the contact info! Need to give Greg someone to race with up here.

Darin, if you get yours before I do, I will be royaly pissed off, as that will show favouritism towards the home crowd :Shame_on_You: :biggrin:. It is a very intersting looking hull that I will power with UL-1 components and a neu 1415 1Y and a Turnigy 180 amp marine ESC. prop is going to come from egneg (Chuck)

Douggie

properchopper
07-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Just got back from the lake; glad you got ahold of Jeff. Seems like many of the FE Royalty are placing orders ; can't wait to see what you guys do with the boat ; should be able to really unleash its potential .

For those of you who have been musing about battery placement theory/practice :
I just ran the Spec setup with a single 4S 5000 Turnigy 30C. Was so fast and smooth/steady [WFO in the turns] that it made a so-so driver like me look like a pro. 'Nuff said !! :olleyes:

properchopper
07-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention; Jan got his "Legg Lake Death Buouy" wings today when he nailed the buouy in turn four at the lake at full tilt with his Dark Horse shovel. Amazingly, no damage to speak of other than the shakes one gets rowing out to survey the carnage. Go Jan :rockon2: [ & prop down, Bro. The boat needs to actually touch the water at some point] !!!

Darin Jordan
07-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Darin, if you get yours before I do, I will be royaly pissed off, as that will show favouritism towards the home crowd :Shame_on_You: :biggrin:.

Hahaha... Mine doesn't have to come through customs... :bounce:

No worries... I just got in line with everyone else. Mine is getting some color, so it'll likely take a bit longer anyhow.

Darin Jordan
07-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention; Jan got his "Legg Lake Death Buouy" wings today when he nailed the buouy in turn four at the lake at full tilt with his Dark Horse shovel. Amazingly, no damage to speak of other than the shakes one gets rowing out to survey the carnage. Go Jan :rockon2: [ & prop down, Bro. The boat needs to actually touch the water at some point] !!!

Hmmmm.... maybe we need to talk Brian into doing a 30" version of THAT boat... ;)

Flying Scotsman
07-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Hahaha... Mine doesn't have to come through customs... :bounce:

No worries... I just got in line with everyone else. Mine is getting some color, so it'll likely take a bit longer anyhow.

Darin, I get large items shipped to an address in that bizare area of Point Roberts WA ...you have to be from BC or WA to understand this location...customs delay on return to Canada is 10 minutes and they may wave you through with no added costs. :tongue_smilie: Also mine is RED in colour, and note the correct spelling of COLOUR :laugh:

Douggie

Rumdog
07-01-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm really considering this boat. May have to sell off my brushless Jammin crt x2. This is one badass hydro!

Ub Hauled
07-02-2010, 04:14 AM

I was really nervous rowing all the way out there... when I got there a quick glance reveled nothing other then scratches and parts of the buoy floating around the hull like well... a boat wreck.
When I brought her to shore I looked closer inside and ONE of the 5.5mm had become lose hens the lack of response when I throttled the right side up DH to bring her to shore after the hit. The a real close up tonite revealed nothing wrong with the hull at all. other then some minor scratches on the impact site and batteries pushed off CG.
I really wish there was a larger version of the DH, I think she'd do great in bigger water... along side the new Insane hull, which is very stable all around I must say. Tony was generous enough to let me lap his at Legg and there was NO issue with the chop present... I had to do the "throttle dance" to keep the DH in the water due to side to side roll... usually she is very stable but bigger chop means more air time.
Brian, any chance you could build us some larger Dark Horse (or Dark Clydesdales, lol)?
Anyway, good to see you again T, nice work on your roster...

teach
07-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Brian, any chance you could build us some larger Dark Horse (or Dark Clydesdales, lol)?
Anyway, good to see you again T, nice work on your roster...

Get me on that wait list!

MarkF
07-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Here are some pics of my new red and black Insane hydro. I'm running my 1527 1d motor and a castle controller on 4s 1p 5000 Thunderpower lipos. I'm sure most of you can imagine the kind of speeds I'm getting with this setup. I'll get some video as soon as I can hook up with Tony and the boys.

Mark

Jeff Wohlt
07-02-2010, 03:46 PM
gulp!...very nice...I would estimate closer to 70 and can make more but you do need to turn :)

johnf
07-02-2010, 03:49 PM
That color combo looks great! Very cool boat!

Darin Jordan
07-02-2010, 04:02 PM
That color combo looks great! Very cool boat!

I agree... that looks pretty cool.... I ordered mine with Black bottom and Orange top, and seeing this one has me stoked now!

Will be adding some bright spots underneath so it can be seen in the event it overturns.

Brushless55
07-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Here are some pics of my new red and black Insane hydro. I'm running my 1527 1d motor and a castle controller on 4s 1p 5000 Thunderpower lipos. I'm sure most of you can imagine the kind of speeds I'm getting with this setup. I'll get some video as soon as I can hook up with Tony and the boys.

Mark

:w00t:

Fluid
07-02-2010, 04:09 PM
I ran black boats years ago, then quit when it became apparent that dead black boats are invisible to other drivers. Upside-down black boats are even worse, and I've seen too many hit by accident. Better paint that rudder florescent yellow.....

Darin Jordan
07-02-2010, 04:14 PM
I ran black boats years ago, then quit when it became apparent that dead black boats are invisible to other drivers. Upside-down black boats are even worse, and I've seen too many hit by accident. Better paint that rudder florescent yellow.....

Amen! I'm right with you there... Will be taking measures on mine to make sure it can be seen if it overturns.

Should be some sort of NAMBA rule requiring that, in my opinion! :Peace_Sign:

Fluid
07-02-2010, 04:31 PM
More rules.... :ThumbsDown01:

How about more common sense?

:rofl:

Rumdog
07-02-2010, 04:34 PM
1527!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!!!! Holy shi$#!! How does it handle the weight? on only 1p too. If it isn't over 70mph, I'd be very surprised.

Darin Jordan
07-02-2010, 04:43 PM
More rules.... :ThumbsDown01:

How about more common sense?

If there was common sense, then we wouldn't have the problem in the first place! :thumbup1:

We really should, as club "leaders", try to at least encourage this practice. Would go a long way toward keeping the racing clean and the boats safer.

johnf
07-02-2010, 04:53 PM
I agree... that looks pretty cool.... I ordered mine with Black bottom and Orange top, and seeing this one has me stoked now!

I didn't realize they could be ordered in two colors like that! Thought it was custom paint. It's that much cooler now! haha

Dang, another one to add to the list to pick up! Gonna hope the money tree I planted sprouts soon. :Praying:

Darin Jordan
07-02-2010, 04:56 PM
I didn't realize they could be ordered in two colors like that! Thought it was custom paint. It's that much cooler now! haha

Yah... Jeff has the following colors listed:

White
Red
Yellow
Black
Orange
Lime Green
Blue

johnf
07-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I'd have to go with red and black like Mark's, or the orange and black like you are doing. I bet that is gonna look sick too! Can't wait to see it.

Fluid
07-02-2010, 05:25 PM
We really should, as club "leaders", try to at least encourage this practice. Would go a long way toward keeping the racing clean and the boats safer.
:iagree:

Jeff
07-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Does common sense include not having a black bottom boat in the first place?

Darin Jordan
07-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Does common sense include not having a black bottom boat in the first place?

If you think that everyone needs to run boring white or yellow or orange boats, then I suppose it could...

I like to think that common sense would mean that, when someone HAS a boat with a black or blue or green bottom, they have the sense to add some color to it in strategic places so it can be seen when inverted.

No reason to take the fun out of painting your boat, just add a couple of bright spots that can be seen.

Not sure why people have to take this kind of thing to the extreme??

Jeepers
07-02-2010, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=MarkF;202379] I'm running my 1527 1d motor and a castle controller on 4s 1p 5000 Thunderpower lipos.
Mark[/QUOTE

WOW! thats some horsepower!!!!!

Now that I have seen one of those boats with color on it it looks a lot better, gets rid of the ugly! I want one now.

Jeepers
07-02-2010, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE=Darin Jordan;202449]If you think that everyone needs to run boring white or yellow or orange boats.[QUOTE]

AND gel coat! I hate boats that are just left in gel coat even if its colored, to me its like having a new car in primer....... no offense to anybody that does this, I just like paint!

MarkF
07-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Since I only do saw racing I'm not to worried about the bottom. Besides just because you have a bright neon orange bottom doesn't mean your not going to get run over. I think it really makes very little difference what color you choose.
Jeepers if you like painting then just order your boat in epoxy and Jeff will put a white primmer on it instead of gel coat.

Mark

ray schrauwen
07-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Since I only do saw racing I'm not to worried about the bottom. Besides just because you have a bright neon orange bottom doesn't mean your not going to get run over. I think it really makes very little difference what color you choose.
Jeepers if you like painting then just order your boat in epoxy and Jeff will put a white primmer on it instead of gel coat.

Mark

Nice option for those that like paint:tongue_smilie:

properchopper
07-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Since I only do saw racing I'm not to worried about the bottom. Besides just because you have a bright neon orange bottom doesn't mean your not going to get run over. I think it really makes very little difference what color you choose. .........

I agree with Mark and Darin. Unless the dead boat is in the front straight, you don't really get much chance to see & navigate around a dead boat in the turns, especially in the back straight. In the heat [pun?] of racing, it's tough to judge the correct avoidance path no matter what color the boat is. Seeing it doesn't always help, especially because you're watching your own boat so closely. A good pit man is most important to keep you from accidents, but they do happen regardless of color-trust me !

line6
07-03-2010, 02:35 PM
A good pit man is most important to keep you from accidents, but they do happen regardless of color-trust me !

:iagree: makes the drivers job much much easier

JAson Sims

Jeff
07-04-2010, 12:11 AM
I vote for black buoys and some bright stickers on them :P

Jeepers
07-04-2010, 12:44 AM
jeepers if you like painting then just order your boat in epoxy and jeff will put a white primmer on it instead of gel coat.

Mark

sweeet!

johnf
07-08-2010, 03:12 PM
So, how long does it take to have one of these hulls built after the order, roughly?

properchopper
07-08-2010, 03:21 PM
So, how long does it take to have one of these hulls built after the order, roughly?

Call or e-mail Jeff at Insane Boats; He'll give you the best answer. Shouldn't take long !

Darin Jordan
07-08-2010, 03:22 PM

Jeff told me it'd be about 2-3 weeks before I got mine.

johnf
07-08-2010, 03:25 PM
PLEASE tell me Jeff doesn't take credit cards..... LOL

Also, how do you guys think a 1521 1.5d would do in this hull? I just picked one up in the swap shop, and was debating saving it for this hull, and running something with a lower KV in the hull I bought it with. The 1.5d is 1860kv.

Darin Jordan
07-08-2010, 03:36 PM

As a matter of fact... he DOES! ;)

Also, how do you guys think a 1521 1.5d would do in this hull? I just picked one up in the swap shop, and was debating saving it for this hull, and running something with a lower KV in the hull I bought it with. The 1.5d is 1860kv.

Don't know for sure, but I have one here as well that I will be finding out with... :rockon2:

johnf
07-08-2010, 03:38 PM
DAMN! Well, looks like I may be shooting Jeff an email later this month... Darin, PLEASE report your findings with this motor. I may very well scoop this hydro up if it runs good with that setup. Can't wait to hear your results.

Darin Jordan
07-08-2010, 03:41 PM
DAMN! Well, looks like I may be shooting Jeff an email later this month... Darin, PLEASE report your findings with this motor. I may very well scoop this hydro up if it runs good with that setup. Can't wait to hear your results.

I really have no doubt that it will... it's a little bigger than a Phil Thomas 21 (older version) and I've seen that boat with a hotter setup go incredibly fast and was raceable as well...

johnf
07-08-2010, 03:43 PM
I hear ya Darin, and am more so waiting for real world results with the motor as a way to keep myself from dropping the coin at this moment. I think I stumbled upon an addiction. haha!

properchopper
07-08-2010, 03:48 PM

Mark has a 1527 [??] in his new Insane Hull. Wait for those results !!!!

johnf
07-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I have no doubt the 1527 Mark has will be a MONSTER. Point being, I already have the 1521 1.5d. Already owning the motor makes this much more appealing, seeing as how the motors cost about as much as the hull. haha

Brushless55
07-08-2010, 04:07 PM
does anyone put the hull and hardware together for a single price? :spy:

Fluid
07-08-2010, 04:18 PM
I have no doubt the 1527 Mark has will be a MONSTER. Point being, I already have the 1521 1.5d. Already owning the motor makes this much more appealing, seeing as how the motors cost about as much as the hull. haha

I run that motor in my 33" Aeromarine P Sport Hydro, it runs very well! It will take a lot of prop, I normally run a P230 since an x450 was too mild. I can prop up to a P235 or more - but the 230 is plenty for the smaller pond we run at the most. That motor will be plenty for the Insane. If I race the hull as a P Sport I'll probably use a Hacker 7XL, but I plan on LSH only.

ray schrauwen
07-08-2010, 04:24 PM
does anyone put the hull and hardware together for a single price? :spy:

Dude, 2 bolts :doh: :sarcasm1:

Darin Jordan
07-08-2010, 04:25 PM
I run that motor in my 33" Aeromarine P Sport Hydro, it runs very well! It will take a lot of prop, I normally run a P230 since an x450 was too mild. I can prop up to a P235 or more - but the 230 is plenty for the smaller pond we run at the most. That motor will be plenty for the Insane. If I race the hull as a P Sport I'll probably use a Hacker 7XL, but I plan on LSH only.

Yup... I'm listening to Jay! ;)

johnf
07-08-2010, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the info! I actually bought the 1521 with a DF storm 33 mono. What speed control did you run on the 33 hydro with the 1521?

Brushless55
07-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Dude, 2 bolts :doh: :sarcasm1:

Fluid
07-08-2010, 04:50 PM
What speed control did you run on the 33 hydro with the 1521?
I'm right at 60 mph with the P230. On the small pond that's fast enough, on the big ponds it is often too windy here to run any faster. On smooth water with enough pitch 65 should be possible without too much stress.

knpc
07-08-2010, 05:03 PM
I ordered a hull and hardware from Jeff (Insane) yesterday. I have a 1515/1y and hydra 240 ready to go in it. It should be a nice setup, but I'll let you know in a few weeks.

johnf
07-08-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm right at 60 mph with the P230. On the small pond that's fast enough, on the big ponds it is often too windy here to run any faster. On smooth water with enough pitch 65 should be possible without too much stress.

Thanks for the prop info, but I was curious about the ESC you were using to handle the load. Perhaps you missed it in my post?

Flying Scotsman
07-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Mine is going to run a Neu 1415 1Y...4S1P.....Turnigy 180 amp marine....and a mangled X642 from the hands of egneg.

Douggie

Jeepers
07-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the prop info, but I was curious about the ESC you were using to handle the load. Perhaps you missed it in my post?

I use a Castle Hydra 240 with my 1521 1.5d in my Whiplash 20.

ray schrauwen
07-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Arc has a nice 36 65 1 turn 2080Kv. Jet guys are pulling like 2000+ watts from them. Nice for an American made 4 pole B/L motor and only $125. Lightflght rc. com Solid competition for a Neu.

I'm going to try it in my Whip this Sun.

Ooops, make that $115 + shipping...

Fluid
07-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Sorry, I was in a hurry and only saw the word speed. I run a Hydra240LV with 4 degrees timing advance, 13.6 LVC. Fast and relatively cool, the ESC has lasted over a year of racing without a hiccup.

johnf
07-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Damn you guys! All it took was one email to Jeff! :buttrock:

properchopper
07-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Damn you guys! All it took was one email to Jeff! :buttrock:

Good job, John ! With your order in, I get to win a set of Steak Knives from Jeff for helping with the design / intro ! :just-kidding:

You're gonna' LOVE this boat :hug1:

Tony

johnf
07-09-2010, 02:00 PM
LMAO! I'm sure I will. Jeff's willingness to add some custom work to the boat per my request is what got me on board. Gotta love when someone will cater to your goals!

ray schrauwen
07-09-2010, 02:25 PM
You guys are killing me... take CC you say?? Damn I'm bad....

properchopper
07-09-2010, 02:47 PM
LMAO! I'm sure I will. Jeff's willingness to add some custom work to the boat per my request is what got me on board. Gotta love when someone will cater to your goals!

Very true - Jeff and his people are 150% dedicated to making the best, fastest products for his customers. They're constantly at the lake innovating, testing, tuning, and helping customers dial in their stuff. :smile:

johnf
07-09-2010, 03:18 PM
They're constantly at the lake innovating, testing, tuning, and helping customers dial in their stuff. :smile:

I wish my job was that much fun! :beerchug:

Brushless55
07-09-2010, 08:10 PM

What are you having done? :spy:

johnf
07-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Haha, nothing wild. Jeff is adding a layer of carbon fiber to the entire bottom of the hull and sponsons before the top and bottom of the hull are joined. I'd much rather the master handle it than me mess it up! Lol

Brushless55
07-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Haha, nothing wild. Jeff is adding a layer of carbon fiber to the entire bottom of the hull and sponsons before the top and bottom of the hull are joined. I'd much rather the master handle it than me mess it up! Lol

Great idea man! :rockon2:
how much more does that add to the cost?

johnf
07-10-2010, 12:16 AM
I'm really not sure if it's a service he normally offers, I just requested it. I'd have to say email him for costs. It will vary depending on how you want it done. I wanted mine glossy (bling!), so that added a couple bucks. I will say this, calculate the cost of materials, and then buy Jeff a beer for the efforts. Would come out about the Same as what he is charging me.:beerchug:

properchopper
07-10-2010, 12:27 AM
I'm really not sure if it's a service he normally offers, I just requested it. I'd have to say email him for costs. It will vary depending on how you want it done. I wanted mine glossy (bling!), so that added a couple bucks. I will say this, calculate the cost of materials, and then buy Jeff a beer for the efforts. Would come out about the Same as what he is charging me.:beerchug:

Good answer :cool2:

electric
07-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Placed an order for a red one this week.

properchopper
07-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Placed an order for a red one this week.

Nice, gonna' look sharp in red :smile:

Jeepers
07-11-2010, 10:11 PM
I have a request for you guys, I would like to see how this boat hangs on the pins do you guys think you can get a video of that?

I have seen several of his gas hydros run in person and they are impressive so hope fully this is to!

properchopper
07-11-2010, 11:12 PM
I have a request for you guys, I would like to see how this boat hangs on the pins do you guys think you can get a video of that?

I have seen several of his gas hydros run in person and they are impressive so hope fully this is to!

There should be a vid up shortly of Mark's boat with a 1527 1D racing today in the D19 points race in OPEN [!] class with Tyler (RaceMechanix) driving. Had to take lane 6 to stay clear of the gasser racewater but was running second when the LVC kicked in. Impressive !!

Brushless55
07-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Sweet!

MarkF
07-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Here you go. Tyler was running the boat in lane 20 just to stay out of the way of the gas boats. The boat can hang in lane 1 no problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLnjmmZfYE
Mark

Flying Scotsman
07-12-2010, 02:04 AM
Great, now the hard questions rough ideas for.....fin position....COG ...strut position with Insane hardware for a sport setup etc....race as we know we are all on our own

Douggie

properchopper
07-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Great, now the hard questions rough ideas for.....fin position....COG ...strut position with Insane hardware for a sport setup etc....race as we know we are all on our own

Douggie

I just gave Jeff the draft of these detailed installation instructions yesterday ; should be in each boat shipment. [Private instruction available on request :cool2:]

johnf
07-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Mark F, I'm really curious about your motor setup. Particularly, the location, and clearance around it. Is there anyway you could get more pics of the motor and motor mount? I'm trying to get an idea of the angle it is at, and distance of mount from transom. Also, about how much clearance does it have around the hatch? I know my 1521 is a slight bit shorter, so hopefully that will help with the motor mount I wanna run.

RaceMechaniX
07-12-2010, 01:51 PM
That was a blast guys!

Mark, Thanks for letting me take the wheel. Considering the chop and conditions the new hull ran exetremely well. Very easy to turn and consistent every lap.

Tyler

johnf
07-12-2010, 01:58 PM
What sort of speeds would you guys estimate Mark's hydro was running? Looked to be hanging good in the vid.

RaceMechaniX
07-12-2010, 03:51 PM
My guess is mid 60's with a conservative prop.

johnf
07-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Sounds fun! I'm hoping my 1521 will push mine close to that without being too much on the edge.

MarkF
07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
My motor is 11" from the transom. You can mount your motor anywere between 10 and 12". Were finding the boat likes the cg back at 2 1/2"behind the sponson. Mine was at 2" in the video. Just mount your equipment in a way so you can play with the cg between 2 to 3".

Mark

detox
07-12-2010, 07:30 PM
That hull should be more stable running against smaller hulls. I'm hoping my Whiplash 20 handles wakes a little better than that.

ray schrauwen
07-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Here you go. Tyler was running the boat in lane 20 just to stay out of the way of the gas boats. The boat can hang in lane 1 no problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLnjmmZfYE
Mark

Did it thermal in the end there?

MarkF
07-12-2010, 08:08 PM
No, that was a 4400 1P battery that LVC. I dont have any bigger 4s packs at the moment. It took 4020 mah to fill the pack back up. If Tyler could have run in lanes 2 or 3 I think it would have completed all 6 laps. I was afraid of my boat getting ran over buy a big gas boat so I didn't want him mixing it up with the other boats.

Mark

ray schrauwen
07-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Sorry, I meant to include LVC. Yeah, 4400Mah is pretty small. Cool.

Darin Jordan
07-12-2010, 09:15 PM
It took 4020 mah to fill the pack back up. If Tyler could have run in lanes 2 or 3 I think it would have completed all 6 laps.

Mark... You'll want to observe teh 80% rule if you want those packs to survive. Consider paralleling a pair of 3300's or 3800's if you want that setup to be safe and able to complete the mill and cooldown... Oh, and also to be able to run a REAL prop and find out what that hull can REALLY do... :thumbup1:

Shooter
07-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Wow! Mark's boat is really zippin in that video. Hard to tell since he's covering 2x the ground that everyone else is!:roflol:

I wish this boat was available before I started building my Vegas. Would have been a great alternative. The Insane hull is actually wider than the Vegas!Anyone know how thick the fiberglass is? My Vegas takes major abuse (see blowover in this vid) and has still stuck together quite well. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk4O7WSZsTw

properchopper
07-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Wow! Mark's boat is really zippin in that video. Hard to tell since he's covering 2x the ground that everyone else is!:roflol:

I wish this boat was available before I started building my Vegas. Would have been a great alternative. The Insane hull is actually wider than the Vegas!Anyone know how thick the fiberglass is? My Vegas takes major abuse (see blowover in this vid) and has still stuck together quite well. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk4O7WSZsTw

I don't have the thickness of the Insane FE 30, as it's now officially designated as; but I can squeeze on the FE 30 sponson and it feels like a solid block of glass; my Vegas feels like a squeeze toy when I grab the sponson [ although it has survived a few high speed flips with no damage]. Keep working on your Vegas; test, trim & tune & it'll get dialed :thumbup1:

Shooter
07-13-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't have the thickness of the Insane FE 30, as it's now officially designated as; but I can squeeze on the FE 30 sponson and it feels like a solid block of glass; my Vegas feels like a squeeze toy when I grab the sponson [ although it has survived a few high speed flips with no damage]. Keep working on your Vegas; test, trim & tune & it'll get dialed :thumbup1:

That's what I wanted to hear! Sounds like it's supported well. I remember the old aeromarine and prather hulls. They were stiff as boards!

Darin Jordan
07-13-2010, 01:00 PM
That's what I wanted to hear! Sounds like it's supported well. I remember the old aeromarine and prather hulls. They were stiff as boards!

Greg Schweers' boat is rock solid. Should be more than capable of doing some fierce battle! :thumbup1:

BakedMopar
07-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Well I said buh bye to my UL-1 yesterday...................:spy:

properchopper
07-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Well I said buh bye to my UL-1 yesterday...................:spy:

Go for it !!! :banana:

MarkF
07-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Darin, I 'm well aware of the 80% rule. I went to the lake with intentions to only do a couple of laps to show the boat off. My hydro 240 doesn't fit and I was borrowing the speed controll I was running and didn't have time to make a Y. I will be running 2p when I get another controller to run. Here are a couple of more pics how I layed the boat out for 2P and were to install the hardware.

Mark

johnf
07-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Geezzz, that second pic makes the 1527 look MASSIVE haha. Mark, how would you estimate the clearance between the 1527 and the hatch is? Much room?

BakedMopar
07-13-2010, 02:49 PM
I really wanted to build a shovel but this thing has been love at first sight. Maybe he could make a matching for my Rico mono.

Flying Scotsman
07-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Mark, what prop is that, it looks huge?..... very nice installation of the goodies :bowdown:

Douggie

ray schrauwen
07-13-2010, 03:58 PM
H-5 modded to 44.79mm I think?

ray schrauwen
07-13-2010, 03:58 PM
What angle is on that turn fin, please, thanks...

MarkF
07-13-2010, 08:18 PM
The prop is an H 6 thats been pitched up. This prop works really good on the spec set up but is to agressive for my motor. As you can see in the video its doing a lot of hopping and skipping across the back strait. I'm loosing a lot of speed because of that. The turn fin and bracket is stock hardware you get in the kit. I really recomend you guys get the hardware package Jeff offers when you order the boat. Install couldn't be any easier and was made to work with this boat.

Mark

Insaniac
07-13-2010, 08:57 PM
The prop is an H 6 thats been pitched up. This prop works really good on the spec set up but is to agressive for my motor. As you can see in the video its doing a lot of hopping and skipping across the back strait. I'm loosing a lot of speed because of that. The turn fin and bracket is stock hardware you get in the kit. I really recomend you guys get the hardware package Jeff offers when you order the boat. Install couldn't be any easier and was made to work with this boat.

Mark

How does it run on an H-5? That's the prop I plan to start with using a UL-1 motor...

MarkF
07-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Tony runs the H5, you tell me, how does his boat run.:) Here's another video from today running at Joes house.

Mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxseRIL8fec

johnf
07-13-2010, 09:26 PM
That thing is MOVING! Wicked

Rumdog
07-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Sweet baby Jesus! Have you had any tumbles at that speed yet?

properchopper
07-13-2010, 09:37 PM
How does it run on an H-5? That's the prop I plan to start with using a UL-1 motor...

Insane Hydro/Ul-1 motor/SC/ - H-5 by Mark Sholund at Props4-U

52 - 53 mph
Any Questions ? :biggrin:

properchopper
07-13-2010, 09:42 PM
:crying:
Tony runs the H5, you tell me, how does his boat run.:) Here's another video from today running at Joes house.

Mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxseRIL8fec

Crap, after seeing this Vid people may start using the " R " word again to describe the boat [ there goes my P-Sport Hydro 2- Lap record :crying:]

Jeepers
07-13-2010, 10:26 PM
thanks for that race video, guys that answers my question on the cornering.
sweet!

Shooter
07-13-2010, 10:29 PM
:eek: Holy Cats!!

I'm afraid of that thing!:hide: Tell me when it's over.

Flying Scotsman
07-13-2010, 10:34 PM

Mark

Intersting, I thought that motor was a bit too much, but thank you for showing the end result and all other setup comments.

Douggie

electric
07-13-2010, 11:34 PM
Darin, I 'm well aware of the 80% rule. I went to the lake with intentions to only do a couple of laps to show the boat off. My hydro 240 doesn't fit and I was borrowing the speed controll I was running and didn't have time to make a Y. I will be running 2p when I get another controller to run. Here are a couple of more pics how I layed the boat out for 2P and were to install the hardware.

Mark

Feeling pretty good about the red one I ordered!! Nice looking boat.

electric
07-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Ok, I need to go ahead and get a prop ordered. I plan to put a neu 1515 1y with a turnigy 180 esc (if it will fit). Could someone give me their best shot on what I should start with (like something fast, but not on the edge of blowing the esc etc.).

I currently have x440,x442,x642,x640 and a x645. I would be willing to pay a bit to get a really good prop for this boat, just point me in a direction please...thanks.

Flying Scotsman
07-14-2010, 12:14 AM
An X640 would be my start point with no prior kowledge of the hull...the egg man may help you out and lads that have run the hull. Yes. I did buy a mangled prop from a master prop mangler

Douggie

properchopper
07-14-2010, 12:47 AM
Ok, I need to go ahead and get a prop ordered. I plan to put a neu 1515 1y with a turnigy 180 esc (if it will fit). Could someone give me their best shot on what I should start with (like something fast, but not on the edge of blowing the esc etc.).

I currently have x440,x442,x642,x640 and a x645. I would be willing to pay a bit to get a really good prop for this boat, just point me in a direction please...thanks.

Jim, I run the 1515 1Y/Turnigy 180/4S2P in a H&M 31" Shovelnose hydro ; have run a 642, M445 tip-cupped & now run an M545 with good results. For max speed you may try one of Mark Sholund's [Props 4-U] H-5's or H-6's with his magic touch - tell him you want one like he made for Mark & me. Probably safest with a 642 with 1P. On 2P you can go bigger & still have good runtime. Both Mark and myself tune for racing so longer runtimes [ over 2.5 min's] aren't a thing.

questtek
07-14-2010, 12:55 AM
Here are some more pics taken today of MarkF and his red Insane Hydro. I included a picture of the 3-bladed prop we were experimenting with. The final picture shows the interior of the Insane with the Neu 1527 and a Leopard 4074 on one side and the new GIANT Leopard 5692 on the other side. Mark seems to think the GIANT Leopard, at 1 lb 15 oz, is a bit too heavy and too much torque for this hydro. However..... I know someone is bound to try it!

properchopper
07-14-2010, 01:57 AM
Here are some more pics taken today of MarkF and his red Insane Hydro. I included a picture of the 3-bladed prop we were experimenting with. The final picture shows the interior of the Insane with the Neu 1527 and a Leopard 4074 on one side and the new GIANT Leopard 5692 on the other side. Mark seems to think the GIANT Leopard, at 1 lb 15 oz, is a bit too heavy and too much torque for this hydro. However..... I know someone is bound to try it!

Here's the prop for the Leopard 5692.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgRzweFct0M

:beerchug:

MarkF
07-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Electric, if your interested I will sell you my H6 for what I payed for it. I don't run spec and now I'm going a different direction on props for my boat. Pm me.

Mark

Greg Schweers
07-14-2010, 05:13 PM
I ran my boat this morning with a Phoenix Ice 100 controller in it. I think this controller is faster than a Castle 120. The controller is not water cooled. I haven't set of the data logger yet. The controller did come in at 145 degrees and the UL1 motor was just 108. I'm still running the X447 - backcut, detungued with the tips rounded. This is by far the best handling boat I own.

Brushless55
07-14-2010, 08:52 PM

that 5692 is huge! :w00t:
do you have any speed numbers with the 1527?

properchopper
07-14-2010, 08:52 PM
I ran my boat this morning with a Phoenix Ice 100 controller in it. I think this controller is faster than a Castle 120. The controller is not water cooled. I haven't set of the data logger yet. The controller did come in at 145 degrees and the UL1 motor was just 108. I'm still running the X447 - backcut, detungued with the tips rounded. This is by far the best handling boat I own.

Greg, being a modest and true gentleman neglected to mention that his first race outing with his Insane UL-1 motored FE 30 took first place in all three heats of P-Spec Sport Hydro, nearly lapping the field. Way to go, Bro' ! :rockon2:

teach
07-14-2010, 09:27 PM
I sure hope a few of you are going to make the Nats in Colorado this year. Would love to see those things in person.

electric
07-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Electric, if your interested I will sell you my H6 for what I payed for it. I don't run spec and now I'm going a different direction on props for my boat. Pm me.

Mark

PM sent.

nsane01
07-15-2010, 01:39 AM
Mark,

Looks like you got that boat moving not only down the straight away but also in the turns.

Insane Boats is working hard at getting these boats out. Thought you'd enjoy this pic of the 30" rack :banana:

Jeff Michaud
Owner Insane Boats
www.insaneboats.com

BakedMopar
07-15-2010, 01:44 AM
Nice I just sent you an e-mail for a quote. I know its around here somewhere but what are the color options?

nsane01
07-15-2010, 02:06 AM
Hi

The colors avail: red/white/yellow/black/lime green/light blue/navy blue/orange

Darin Jordan
07-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Thought you'd enjoy this pic of the 30" rack :banana:

Jeff Michaud
Owner Insane Boats
www.insaneboats.com

Nice "Rack".... :thumbup:

electric
07-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Jim, I run the 1515 1Y/Turnigy 180/4S2P in a H&M 31" Shovelnose hydro ; have run a 642, M445 tip-cupped & now run an M545 with good results. For max speed you may try one of Mark Sholund's [Props 4-U] H-5's or H-6's with his magic touch - tell him you want one like he made for Mark & me. Probably safest with a 642 with 1P. On 2P you can go bigger & still have good runtime. Both Mark and myself tune for racing so longer runtimes [ over 2.5 min's] aren't a thing.

Thanks, I was digging through my prop inventory last night and found a M445 and a M447(think I remember that right) I could also try. I am going to buy Mark's H6 and give that a try as well. That should keep me entertained for awhile.

Darin Jordan
07-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Tony or Mark or Jeff... Are you running a .187 sized driveline in that boat, or is it .150? Or???

MarkF
07-15-2010, 10:12 AM
My first boat had the 150 cable with the leapord motor but my new one has 187. I think 150 is fine if your sticking to P spec .
Mark

Brushless55
07-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Hi

The colors avail: red/white/yellow/black/lime green/light blue/navy blue/orange

ohh, lime green and black! :tongue_smilie:

Darin Jordan
07-15-2010, 10:20 AM
My first boat had the 150 cable with the leapord motor but my new one has 187. I think 150 is fine if your sticking to P spec .
Mark

Thanks, Mark... I'm going to go with .187, so I can switch the boat between P-Limited and P... Have a 1521 1.5D and Hydra 240 that are currently not being used for anything. I'll just leave the 240 in there and switch motor. LOVE that this boat seems to handle the full P-Power so well...

MarkF
07-15-2010, 10:31 AM
I am suprised to how well it handles. People at the race including Jeff himself said dont run the boat in open with all those gas boats. It will never survive the big rollers and chop. Well Tyler said I'll drive it if you let me so I said sure just dont let anyone run you over and break my new boat. I knew the 1527 would be over kill but its what I had in the drawer looking for a home so thats why i have that motor in the boat.

Mark

properchopper
07-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Tony or Mark or Jeff... Are you running a .187 sized driveline in that boat, or is it .150? Or???

Darin, my boat was designed/setup to demo the ease of setting up a P-Spec version with the likely use of all the UL-1 components. Hence, it has the .150 cable. I have a .078 wire drive on the bench waiting for an possible/eventual conversion to P . Funny thing is that I just love running it as P-Spec - so stable and driveable and fast that I just may leave it as is ; maybe bump up to a SC with adjustable timing.

Darin Jordan
07-15-2010, 10:44 AM
I have a .078 wire drive on the bench waiting for an possible/eventual conversion to P . Funny thing is that I just love running it as P-Spec - so stable and driveable and fast that I just may leave it as is ; maybe bump up to a SC with adjustable timing.

Tony,

I've decided that I'm kind of done using wire in most of my heat racing boats. I'll save it for the SAWs or 2-Lap stuff. Just been too much of a hassle for me most of the time. Might change my mind later, but cable is just so much simpler to deal with and way less tempermental...

I know, I know... I keep wavering back and forth, but after the hassles using wire in my P-Limited Hydro, and a lost VERY nice H10 (sorry Brian), I switched to a .150 cable and it's SOOO much simpler to deal with, with little/no loss in speed. It's all a matter of using the correct lube. Have to lube it for EVERY run, but otherwise, it's been a lot easier.

We're going SOOOO fast with our P-Limited setups that there really isn't much of a need to go to full P. However, it's nice to know that it can be done with the same hull. Will make traveling to bigger races a little easier.

properchopper
07-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Darin, good points & I agree; cables are trustworthy with little hassle factor. Only reason I picked up the .078 is that , in the event of a bigger motor, a .187 wont fit in the 3/16 stuffing tube now on my spec setup. Actually I put a wire drive & ball bearing strut on the Vegas just to try out something new. Trouble free except for some strut bearing issues. I stayed away from set-screw collets , never trusted them. the MV has an Octura style that Jeff W. made the inner grip-piece( I believe), but my latest collet is bagged as a complete Octura-made piece & looks very nice. Time will tell, I guess.

Darin Jordan
07-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Darin, good points & I agree; cables are trustworthy with little hassle factor. Only reason I picked up the .078 is that , in the event of a bigger motor, a .187 wont fit in the 3/16 stuffing tube now on my spec setup.

OH, That makes a ton of sense then... I forgot that a .078 will work in that existing stuffing tube. I'd do the same thing in that case. Nice to have THAT option as well.

I am a firm believer, however, that when using a wire, it's important to use BEARINGS in the strut. Bushings work, but because of the nature of the wire bending, it forces the stub-shaft up into the bushings and I think that causes a little extra drag and slop. I've found bearings in this case work to stabilize the stub-shaft much better. Bit of a pain to maintain, but much smoother and less "draggy"...

Shooter
07-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Mark

Mark - Are you running the 0.187" flex in a 1/4" strut tube? Reason I ask is that I'm running that set-up in the Vegas (with no liner). The driveline runs free as a bird and it's dead on concentric, but it makes some strange noises when you accelerate if you forget to lube between runs!

Flying Scotsman
07-15-2010, 01:24 PM
When I placed my order with Jeff about 4 weeks ago, he also asked what other hull designs and length may be of interest to FE boaters as most of his stuff is gas orientated and he perceives the FE market as a new venture........suggestions?

Douggie

MarkF
07-15-2010, 01:46 PM
I have always run a teflon liner tube since I got started in boats 15 years ago. I see no reason to change now. I dont get why people dont want to run them.

Jeff is interested in making a couple of more boats. He thought maybe a cracker box next but after watching the Jersy skiffs run at the last race I voted for making one of those. There definintely more entertaining than the cracker boxs. If he gets enough interest he will make one otherwise I think he is going to make a rigger next. I know Jeff would like to hear everybodys thoughts on what they would like to see next.

Mark

Mark

Flying Scotsman
07-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Mine shipped today :tongue_smilie:

Douggie

LuckyDuc
07-15-2010, 10:01 PM
It is nice to see some of the gas/nitro hull manufacturers making FE hulls.

We have Insane Boats, Seaducer, BBY, ProBoat, Aquacraft,and Phil Thomas launching FE friendly hulls now. VERY COOL.
Did I leave anyone out?

Fluid
07-15-2010, 11:14 PM
We have Insane Boats, Seaducer, BBY, ProBoat, Aquacraft,and Phil Thomas launching FE friendly hulls now. VERY COOL.
Did I leave anyone out?

A few could more include Rico, Aeromarine, AC Boats, Rocky Mountain Hydros, and Vac-U-Pickle.

Scott T
07-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Got mine today! Some comparison shots if anyone is interested.

Hydro111
07-16-2010, 05:45 AM

What class will you be running that in scott.

Chris.

jwt
07-16-2010, 07:03 AM
Scott
what! not another new boat,
you must have a good wife..:hug1:

tms

Jeff
07-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Tony,

I've decided that I'm kind of done using wire in most of my heat racing boats. I'll save it for the SAWs or 2-Lap stuff. Just been too much of a hassle for me most of the time. Might change my mind later, but cable is just so much simpler to deal with and way less tempermental...

I know, I know... I keep wavering back and forth, but after the hassles using wire in my P-Limited Hydro, and a lost VERY nice H10 (sorry Brian), I switched to a .150 cable and it's SOOO much simpler to deal with, with little/no loss in speed. It's all a matter of using the correct lube. Have to lube it for EVERY run, but otherwise, it's been a lot easier.

We're going SOOOO fast with our P-Limited setups that there really isn't much of a need to go to full P. However, it's nice to know that it can be done with the same hull. Will make traveling to bigger races a little easier.

Darin, based on your clubs atendance at last years nats and this years registration, you guy's must have small shafts.:just-kidding:

Jeff

Scott T
07-16-2010, 09:23 AM
What class will you be running that in scott.

Chris.

Hi Chris,
She'll be my Club Sport Hydro normally. But the Whip needs some love, so the Insane will fill in for EA Sport Hydro when the refurb happens. :smile:

John,
It's been hinted one of my current fleet will have ot go. Wanna buy a cat??

AlanN
07-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Jeff would like to hear everybodys thoughts on what they would like to see next.

Can't help myself....."a real sport hydro!"

Darin Jordan
07-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Can't help myself....."a real sport hydro!"

I know that you are just joking around, Alan, (at least I think you are...), but I'm still not understanding why some hold this sentiment...

Looking at this boat in the pics aboved compared to the Whiplash... They look very similiar in most respects. If people consider the Whip a "real Sport Hydro", then I don't see why the FE30 wouldn't be considered one as well. It meets all the rulebook criteria, which is the part that counts. The rules say it has to be of "limited or unlimited" design, if I recall correctly... Looks in the spirit of any number of limited designs to me...

Personally, I'd like to see something like THIS come to market... :cool2:

johnf
07-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Geezzzzzzzzzzzz Darin, what are the details on that thing? Looks like a monster waiting to take off on that first pic.

Darin Jordan
07-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Geezzzzzzzzzzzz Darin, what are the details on that thing? Looks like a monster waiting to take off on that first pic.

I'm not exactly sure... I've been trying to find more pics. Pretty cool, huh?! :rockon2:

johnf
07-16-2010, 05:20 PM
It's absolutely insane. Fitting for the thread. LOL

AlanN
07-16-2010, 05:57 PM
I know that you are just joking around, Alan, (at least I think you are...), but I'm still not understanding why some hold this sentiment...

Not really. It and the whip are not "in the spirit" as far as I am concerned. The design is that of a rigger. Vented hulls where outlawed by some factions and having seen one run I can testify that the vents make it run better than a conventional sport hydro. The same can be said about the layout of the sponsons on this and the whip hull. The whip was bad enough but the insane is extreme in this regards. The hull you have pictured has other sets of rules to which it's design must meet. They may not be as applicable when converted to model boating rules. I doubt very much that the modern hull Darrin has posted would fall into the 25% rule.

detox
07-16-2010, 08:20 PM
When I placed my order with Jeff about 4 weeks ago, he also asked what other hull designs and length may be of interest to FE boaters as most of his stuff is gas orientated and he perceives the FE market as a new venture........suggestions?

Douggie

A really nice looking 30"hydro would be cool. Something that is easy to tape and use less tape (NO HUMP TO TAPE OVER). A nice fitting lid that lays flat. Something with larger size battery compartment. Slightly wider sponson ride pad width.

Too many mono hulls out there. Please no more monos.

Shooter
07-16-2010, 08:37 PM
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I couldn't agree more. Turbine cowl hydro in the 30-32" range with inside sponson width in the 9"+ range. Low AOA for stability (we will just power up for more speed). Flat tape mount, all the way around! No hump! I'd buy one immediately.

With the increased batt technology over the years we've been able to put more and more power to these hulls and they spend more time upside down. Larger is the trend.

detox
07-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Aquacraft came veryclose at making the perfect hydro with the UL-1. Maybe their next generation hull will hit the nail on the head. I hope Traxxas has a hydro in the works.

Jeepers
07-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Not really. It and the whip are not "in the spirit" as far as I am concerned. The design is that of a rigger. Vented hulls where outlawed by some factions and having seen one run I can testify that the vents make it run better than a conventional sport hydro. The same can be said about the layout of the sponsons on this and the whip hull. The whip was bad enough but the insane is extreme in this regards. The hull you have pictured has other sets of rules to which it's design must meet. They may not be as applicable when converted to model boating rules. I doubt very much that the modern hull Darrin has posted would fall into the 25% rule.

I think its about time to eliminate the 25% rule, I have no idea how old this rule is but modern design is taking over, or we can all continue to run boats that look like they were developed in the 70's 80's. if we are to keep it "in the spirit". just my opinion...

properchopper
07-16-2010, 09:18 PM
How 'bout a dedicated Spec FE rigger that's plug & play ?

:spy::spy: Any interest ? :spy::spy:

tth
07-16-2010, 09:22 PM
How 'bout a dedicated Spec FE rigger that's plug & play ?

I'd second that!!!:buttrock:

BakedMopar
07-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Yep! Would be cool as there some good competition out right now with the JAE and the Raptor.

Brushless55
07-16-2010, 10:30 PM
how 'bout a dedicated spec fe rigger that's plug & play ?

yes!

v-spec
07-16-2010, 11:42 PM
I'd say a dedicated rescue boat rtr I'm sure everyone could use one of those.

Chilli
07-17-2010, 12:28 AM
The spec/limited classes are where the growth in our hobby is. Fast, reliable and affordable. Jeff has done a great job with the Sport hydro. Another spec rigger would be cool, but I really think we need a outboard tunnel hull designed for FE spec power. There are only a handfull of people building FE tunnels and converting a nitro tunnel can be a big turnoff to a inexperienced builder.

Another rough water P-mono couldnt hurt either. Can't have too many mono's.:biggrin:

Rumdog
07-17-2010, 12:42 AM
Tunnel Please!!!!