PDA

View Full Version : JAE FE's finish 1-2 in D12 Race!!!

Chilli
06-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Just got back from my first race of the season. Overall, I am very happy with how things turned out. It wasnt pretty but I finished on top of the B-Hydro(P-spec) class with Kent "buoy killer" Seal coming in a close second. Many DNF's this weekend in B-Hydro with the nitro guys getting killed by the hot humid weather. Kent tagged a few buoys but did great considering it was the first time he has ever run the course and the first time his JAE hit the water. I did a few flips coming out of turn two, but we both walked away with smiles on our faces. The IC boaters were great doing everything they could to help us out. The JAE's were very similar in speed to the nitro guys and there were no complaints.

In B/P-Mono, my usually reliable Titan was giving me fits all weekend. She kept dying on me after a few laps. All temps were fine and no smoke. After a minute or two she would come back to life. I assumed it was the Turnigy 180 controller so after heat three, I swapped to my trusty Etti 150 which I ran all last year. She still had the same problem. So I think I may have reciever issues. I did have a noticable (but not tremendous) speed advantage over the crowded B-field. This did not go unnoticed by the D12 Director. Don told me he thought it was a little too much so I dropped down in prop size from a 642 to a 640 and that seemed to do the trick.

Now the big surprise for me was Stock Gas which was a full field of mostly monos (with a sport hydro and cat mixed in), using stock motors and tuned pipes. The Sniper ran great and proved she can handle race water. I ran conservative picking a few boats off and letting the others fall via attrition. I ended up with three seconds and one DNF for the weekend putting me in second place behind last years district champion.

All in all a great weekend.:thumbup:

HOTWATER
06-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Ah yes...the orange turtles were not very friendly with the JAE!! I actually sheared off both solid CF boom tubes at the collars at the end of the day in heat #3...DOH! When I got home I had some rebuilding to do.

This morning, when I got to the pond I swithched out the stock turn fin for a Spitfire/ Sundowner fin...Man, what a huge difference!!!!!!! My boat was turning smooth on the corners!!! Too bad I cooked the UL-1 motor on lap three of heat #4...Doh!

Thanks again Mike for getting us running with the nitro classes! Kudos to you my friend!

What a great bunch from VA!! Dick and Carol Loab, Tracy Dolphin, Carl, Robin, James Beasley, Don Ferrette, John Finch and the list of great people goes on and on....I felt very welcomed by everyone!!

-Kent

Doug Smock
06-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Great job fellas!!!!
Kent, do the JAEs turn or what?? You may have to reduce the rudder throw ehh??:lol::lol:
Sorry about the carnage.

Doug :beerchug:

HOTWATER
06-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Great job fellas!!!!
Kent, do the JAEs turn or what?? You may have to reduce the rudder throw ehh??:lol::lol:
Sorry about the carnage.

Doug :beerchug:

Hi Doug!

After my 1st heat, I had John Finch help me with the ATL setup...no worries there. The problem is in the turn fin (at least to my liking)...too big and too much flex. The fin I put on today is almost half the size, double the thickness and is much more swept back...much, much nicer! I feel like i'm in control of the boat now....:thumbup1:

-Kent

Chilli
06-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Doug, We also had my club VP running a nitro JAE. Lots of discussion about the stock turn fins. He showed us how his fin actually twisted after a few runs. We all discussed how it appeared we could feel the fin unloading coming out of the turns. Kind of hard to explain. Like the boat was snapping to the right for a fraction of a second when you tried to straighten her out. Anyhow we had a great time. The boat is allot of fun and even Mr. Finch took a close look at them.

Doug Smock
06-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Post a pic of the profile of that fin please sir.
I plan on working on some turn fins for my boat but haven't had the time. Too much building going on.
Thanks,
Doug

Doug Smock
06-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Doug, We also had my club VP running a nitro JAE. Lots of discussion about the stock turn fins. He showed us how his fin actually twisted after a few runs. We all discussed how it appeared we could feel the fin unloading coming out of the turns. Kind of hard to explain. Like the boat was snapping to the right for a fraction of a second when you tried to straighten her out. Anyhow we had a great time. The boat is allot of fun and even Mr. Finch was took a close look at them.

Very cool! You guys are hanging out with some of the best. I'm jealous.:crying:

Doug :biggrin:

HOTWATER
06-06-2010, 10:58 PM
I plan on working on some turn fins for my boat but haven't had the time. Too much building going on.
Thanks,
Doug

No problem Doug...I will get a pic setup tomorrow for you...:biggrin:

HOTWATER
06-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks,
Doug

Ok Doug...I took afew shots of the Sundowner fin (Mike Hughes from IW site made it for me).

Doug Smock
06-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Thats a pretty interesting fin. I don't think I've ever seen one quite like that.

Thanks Kent!!

HOTWATER
06-07-2010, 04:10 PM
...and a couple more. One pic shows the curves and the second shows the difference of how they would sit when mounted...

The last one just shows the curve when looking straight down at the sponson.

Wasn't sure what angles you wanted to see, so I hope I covered it for you...

-Kent :beerchug:

HOTWATER
06-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Thats a pretty interesting fin. I don't think I've ever seen one quite like that.

Thanks Kent!!

No problem Doug!:smile:

-Kent